Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 07:03 PM

Default Rocky's Sausage Haus

Anyone have any recent experience on wait times with Rocky's?

I have an animal there and I have been waiting for some time now.

PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:30 PM

I have used him the past two years. A standard cut and wrap has usually taken 2-3 weeks, sausage can take up to 2 months from my experience.

AMAZING finished product.

He is super personable, if you give him a call or shoot him a text, he will update you on the status. That is my experience
Old 01-21-2022, 07:43 PM

That is my plan for Monday, I just have never had a wait this long for an animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I have used him the past two years. A standard cut and wrap has usually taken 2-3 weeks, sausage can take up to 2 months from my experience.

AMAZING finished product.

He is super personable, if you give him a call or shoot him a text, he will update you on the status. That is my experience
Old 01-21-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
That is my plan for Monday, I just have never had a wait this long for an animal
How long have you been waiting?
Old 01-21-2022, 08:24 PM

Dropped my elk off Nov 9.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:27 PM

You best be calling then. I dropped mine off mid Nov and received it in around 4 weeks.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:50 PM

Probably just really busy as ive had trim there for a few months or more last year waiting 4 my smokies and they turned out great!
Old 01-22-2022, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I dropped off 2 elk on Oct 31 and I think I got it around Dec 20th

I would say its longer than normal if you're just getting cutting and wrapping.
I would say its average if you're getting sausage as well

I am unsure, but I suspect they were closed a bunch over Christmas and New Years as wel
Old 01-22-2022, 08:36 AM

I shot my elk Oct 25 and Rocky’s had it back with sausage mid Nov. I shot a buck on Nov 28 and tried 4 butchers around Sundre, Olds etc and they were turning guys away for weeks. They are all full so taking longer for sure. Rocky’s a great guy love his stuff, Swiss and bacon are the best I’ve had and used lots of butchers.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:40 PM

Rocky’s does have good product. If tired of waiting though, could always make your own. Not that difficult really.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:43 PM

Well called Rocky, and he is just behind due to a labor shortage. I should see my elk in the next couple weeks.
Fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:46 PM

I'm sure you will be happy with the end product.
I had 9 different types of sausage/smokies made and they are all excellent. Favorites are Bacon Cheddar but haven't tried the Spanish Chorizo or hot Italian yet.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:52 PM

I got my processed deer meet on Monday and I had brought it in November 8. Not at Rocky's but when I brought it in I was told it would not be until the end of January before it was ready. It was easy to accept the wait knowing how long it would be. Very pleased with the final product!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-28-2022, 09:22 AM

Rocky does a good job you should probably call him. And for everyone. Lying how long it took to get your deer back maybe consider cutting it your self. A deer only takes a couple of hours and you can just take the trim and get it ground after if you don't have a grinder, then there’s no mistakes no waste issues no meat pooling and no one to blame. You dont even need fancy knives just use what you have in you kitchen.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Rocky does a good job you should probably call him. And for everyone. Lying how long it took to get your deer back maybe consider cutting it your self. A deer only takes a couple of hours and you can just take the trim and get it ground after if you don't have a grinder, then there’s no mistakes no waste issues no meat pooling and no one to blame. You dont even need fancy knives just use what you have in you kitchen.

This post contains errors I didn’t catch I time I didn’t mean to say “lying” it’s supposed to read “for everyone upset how” im not suggesting you are lying that was an auto correct error. The butcher shops get slammed in hunting season I have also had to wait month to get game back and know that frustration.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:41 PM

For those of you that have had animals at butchers for a couple months I feel for you. Anything still hanging has to be dried out pretty bad by now. I’ve been going to Onoway packers for years and although they are not cheap you usually have quality meat back in under a week.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:44 AM

I love Rockys Sausage Haus.

I cut up my own animals and can do my own sausage but the last couple years and with the kids, my time has become limited.
I took my trim to Rocky for Pepperoni. By far the best pepperoni around. I shared some he made with my BIL, and he made the same claim, best pepperoni has ever had.

I trust very few people to make me a good product with both great flavor and proper texture, and he is one of the ones I trust fully.

The bacon Swiss Smokies are hard to beat.

Its both a shame, and a saving grace he doesn't have an active front counter. I would stop in almost daily to buy product if he had the a sales counter, but if he did, I would have no money for anything else.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:54 PM

I have used Rocky's the last two years to have a moose butchered and some sausage made. Cut and wrap was always done and ready before the sausage was finished. Could have picked it up before the sausage was done if I wanted. Seemed like a bit of a wait but the meat including suasage was excellent. It also seemed to take a bit longer than I expected but the quality and price made the wait worth it. I actually appreciate the extra hanging time.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:27 PM

Rocky does a great job. He is a little slower than most places due to small staff and lots of customers. My deer has been there for 5 weeks now, called him to check in and he said he was backed up a little.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:58 PM

I dropped off my quartered deer there November 13th , haven’t heard anything yet. 😬

Rocky did mention to me he had a lot more animals in this season than usual. Busy guy, that’s for sure.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
I love Rockys Sausage Haus.

I cut up my own animals and can do my own sausage but the last couple years and with the kids, my time has become limited.
I took my trim to Rocky for Pepperoni. By far the best pepperoni around. I shared some he made with my BIL, and he made the same claim, best pepperoni has ever had.

I trust very few people to make me a good product with both great flavor and proper texture, and he is one of the ones I trust fully.

The bacon Swiss Smokies are hard to beat.

Its both a shame, and a saving grace he doesn't have an active front counter. I would stop in almost daily to buy product if he had the a sales counter, but if he did, I would have no money for anything else.
I believe he has a storefront in Marda Loop, his processing place is by Aldersyde.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Brianscott, did you ever get ahold of Rocky about your elk? Have you received it back yet?

I'm waiting on a sausage order dropped off in early December. I Cant get ahold of him. Hoping everything's all good.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:22 PM

Angry Rocky's Sausage Haus

A friend just called me and he had 30 pounds of elk meat waiting for sausages from November. Since Rocky wasn't answering calls or returning his phone calls he went down to the shop in Okotoks. The shop and coolers are empty. Equipment outside being being removed. I can't say if he's out of business or moving.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahow1 View Post
A friend just called me and he had 30 pounds of elk meat waiting for sausages from November. Since Rocky wasn't answering calls or returning his phone calls he went down to the shop in Okotoks. The shop and coolers are empty. Equipment outside being being removed. I can't say if he's out of business or moving.
Unfortunately bad news for you in another thread...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=409294
Old 03-16-2022, 01:03 PM

update from friend. The meat from Rocky's are next door at Ricks Wild game.
Currently Rocky is out of town and when he get's back he will be processing the orders at Ricks. I guess, your meat is in safe hands until it gets processed.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:16 PM

Just got the text today that my meat is ready so they are indeed processing at Rick's next door.