Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-02-2022, 08:46 AM

Default Cold Weather Gear

I know there are always a few posts on this, but what are you guys using for gear when sitting for game? I sit ground level for Whitetails and have always had issues with my feet even though I have good boots/socks. Walking to my spots I tend to sweat(not always feasible to put extra layer on at my spot).

Head to toe what is everyone wearing?
Old 01-02-2022, 11:45 AM

Keep you head warm to keep your feet warm. Thinsulate toque with wool. Coveralls are the warmest option for long sits. Better yet is a sleeping bag, with a head hole where the feet are, and arm holes. Wear it like a poncho. You can hike it up to walk around as you feet will stick out the usual head and shoulder area. Outside of that not much is going to keep you warm out in the open for 8 hours sitting still. Put either or both on when you get to your stand.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:47 AM

i have the Sitka blizzard coat and pants, and fanatic gloves, for very cold days, also I use the Arctic boots from muck boots with wool socks
Old 01-02-2022, 11:54 AM

If you want good quality gear for cold weather at a decent price.....
Armada store RU, or The Grey Shop RU. they sell Russian Army gear you can find all kinds of warm gear in camo. I bought a moutaineering parka from them over a yr ago and if you get cold in that theres something wrong with you. Also, have a great selection of fall and summer gear. They are good to deal with and delivery is fairly fast especially the Grey shop they are real fast.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:57 AM

Good boots but on severe days I have a pair of booties for lack of a better word, I take my boots off and put a couple of hand warmers in them and sit. I have a pair of Sitka fanatic bibs which are very light and very warm; for upper body, I have a packable insulated hooded jacket and a Kuiu down jacket, usually with 3 layers of merino wool.

Wool is my go to for layers and am always refining and looking for options that I can pack in and not work up to much of a sweat.

I prefer to sit all day regardless of weather, if I get really cold I make a fire, smoke is not a deterrent to animals, its a natural occurrence in their environment. Or I go for a short walk to get circulation going.

Just greatful and thankful to be able to enjoy the outdoors.....
Old 01-02-2022, 12:25 PM

Kifaru Lost Park Parka
Old 01-03-2022, 12:25 PM

I bought battery operated insole warmers for my feet. They were on Amazon for like $65. My feet are usually frozen but these things are a game changer. I work outside for parts of the winter and they keep my feet warm for the whole shift. The battery packs are rechargeable as well. I used them hunting a couple times this season and they were amazing. The brand I use are called Thermup.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanslays View Post
I bought battery operated insole warmers for my feet. They were on Amazon for like $65. My feet are usually frozen but these things are a game changer. I work outside for parts of the winter and they keep my feet warm for the whole shift. The battery packs are rechargeable as well. I used them hunting a couple times this season and they were amazing. The brand I use are called Thermup.
I may have to give these a go! Really good reviews.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:56 PM

Hard to go wrong for 60 some dollars. I’ve had mine for two seasons and love em.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:41 PM

Recommend Darn Tough full cushion socks. Warm feet = warm body for me.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:20 PM

Default Cold weather gear

You could always buy a yuppy looking Canada Goose parka for $2000. Fur trim not included…
Old 01-18-2022, 04:38 PM

I bought battery heated socks I like them better than the insoles as they warm around the foot vs below it. Click them on and off as needed. I put on a thin wicking sock then the heated over it.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
You could always buy a yuppy looking Canada Goose parka for $2000. Fur trim not included…
Meh, they are overrated and they “ cancelled” real coyote fur trims…
I got the Outdoors Survival Canada parka from Cabelas last year, was on sale @$800. Was wearing this thing with a tshirt when it was -30C to take a dog for a walk, was nice and toasty!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulo Castro View Post
Recommend Darn Tough full cushion socks. Warm feet = warm body for me.
Nice socks. But they definitely don't help for me. I have a few pairs.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Meh, they are overrated and they “ cancelled” real coyote fur trims…
I got the Outdoors Survival Canada parka from Cabelas last year, was on sale @$800. Was wearing this thing with a tshirt when it was -30C to take a dog for a walk, was nice and toasty!
same here, bought it 50% off, too warm for most days!
Old 01-19-2022, 12:38 PM

It's not really gear but if you lay a bunch of tree limbs down to rest your feet on while you sit it will avoid direct contact with the cold ground and limit heat conduction. Same with whatever you might be sitting on. Avoid contact with wind or ground as they'll sap your warmth.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:27 PM

Default Gear

Look at pnuma products in states. I absolutely love the stuff. And tons of sizes.. I use the heated vest. Carry 2 batteries. Great for gassing or treestand.. Makes winter wind liveable. Ha.
Kuiu super down pro as well.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodizaffa View Post
Look at pnuma products in states. I absolutely love the stuff. And tons of sizes.. I use the heated vest. Carry 2 batteries. Great for gassing or treestand.. Makes winter wind liveable. Ha.
Kuiu super down pro as well.
I own quite a few Pnuma products and really like them! Don’t have the heated vest though. Selkirk stuff is fairly warm but have to layer a lot. Nice quality gear though.