Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default Ammo prices

Okay...so I know that the CDN dollar is taking a hit lately, to the tune of about 20% vs the U.S....but!
Remington Accutip .22WMR was $18.95/50 when I bought it last in Feb.
This week it was $30!!!
I won't mention any dealer (Edmonton) in particular because it was all of them, not just one particular dealer.
They won't need to ban our guns...they'll just make it too expensive to shoot them.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:20 AM

Get used to it the prices are never going to go down again, don't blame the seller, blame shortages, our dollar and the Liberals
Old 07-04-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
They won't need to ban our guns...they'll just make it too expensive to shoot them.
Are you saying that the ammo manufacturers want to ban guns? Or are you trying to say that the government sets the price of ammo?

Because both are wrong.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Welcome to this the free market economy.

And that this baffles some folks, is the true head scratcher.....

There are no absolutes
Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Welcome to this the free market economy.

And that this baffles some folks, is the true head scratcher.....
It's amazing just how this supply and demand thing confuses some people.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM

I take it we are to believe that increased costs to export from the US (not our government but a government nonetheless) has no effect on pricing since government does not set pricing. We are also not to blame the dealer for making a profit on taxes and license fees since it's not the seller's fault. Anyone who believes we deal in a free market economy is just plain wrong. With the degree of government interference in business today, there is no such thing. When it comes to shooting and hunting supplies we are now returning to the conditions of the late sixties and early seventies where import costs and red tape make for the return of the importer/distributor and we , the consumer, pay for the middleman or pay a bonus to the big retailers who are able to do their own volume importing. This is why we, in Canada , pay 500 dollars for a 180 dollar barrel and 600 dollars for a 300 dollar scope. Leeper
Old 07-04-2015, 09:18 AM

You also need to remember once the public starts paying a certain price for ammo, no matter if you think it's expensive, that will be the new price because people are still buying it. Everything is going to get more expensive over time, it's called inflation. Businesses are not going to be to sell you a product at a loss, or they wouldn't be in business.

Kevin
Old 07-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
You also need to remember once the public starts paying a certain price for ammo, no matter if you think it's expensive, that will be the new price because people are still buying it. Everything is going to get more expensive over time, it's called inflation. Businesses are not going to be to sell you a product at a loss, or they wouldn't be in business.

Kevin

What I remember plain as day were the arseholes charging $50 a pound for powder... Gotta say that as much as I despise nosale sports they stuck to there pricing...

There are a few stores that lost my business over that nonesense

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 07-04-2015, 09:32 AM

If you have 40g maxi-mags id trade you i have a bunch of that rem ammo i havnt used yet
Old 07-04-2015, 09:33 AM

The OP's ammo if available stateside is running $24-$25/50.

I also checked some centerfire pricing stateside.
Federal blue box .308, is running $22/20.
Federal blue box .303, is running $35/20.

Comparing to Canadian pricing the price is about $4/20 higher up in Canada.

Seeing all the export paperwork and extra hands involved, it certainly looks like nobody is making great wads of cash on these items.

The fact is that for a great number of months in the last 24 months a lot of these items were not to be found in stock anywhere, that drove up the price, there were reports of bulk 525 round boxes of .22LR going for $50, in the US not that long ago.

Nothing goes down in price, especially shooting stuff.... That's the grim realities of the situation, you gotta pay to play, like it or not.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-04-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
What I remember plain as day were the arseholes charging $50 a pound for powder... Gotta say that as much as I despise nosale sports they stuck to there pricing...

I'm not happy about it either. But if this is the price I have to pay to keep a hobby I love, I'm willing to do so.

Kevin
Old 07-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Are you saying that the ammo manufacturers want to ban guns? Or are you trying to say that the government sets the price of ammo?

Because both are wrong.
I take it sarcasm is lost on you.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:19 PM

You have two choices, either pay the prices and keep shooting, or refuse to pay the prices, and ration your ammunition until you are completely out, then stop shooting.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM

Was in Edmonton last weekend and stopped at Wholesale for some bullets/powder/brass. Bullet shelves were probably under 50% stocked, brass was poor selection and only a handful of powders to choose from. Nothing I needed was there, but I saw they had lots of .22. Was going to pick up some bulk Winchester stuff till I saw the price tag of $43
I don't need it that bad so I passed. Doesn't bother me, as stated its supply/demand, can't fault them for it. Selling it for $20/500 will only briDidng about what they have in the US, guys buying every last bit and selling it for $70+.
Did manage to find about half of what I needed at Cabela's though. What I found frustrating was that I had called ahead to see if they had the powder I wanted. They said no, but it was in the warehouse and I could order it. That struck me as strange.Powder is too expensive to ship when buying online , so why not supply your stores, where people can come buy it? Anyway, was at the store and saw the powder list(woefully short) included CFE223, which I had asked about. Turns out they had it after all, which was nice but I almost didn't go because they said they didn't have it.
Now I just need some 130gr .308 TTSX and 250 .375 TTSX....
Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 PM

Go buy as much as you can afford because it's not coming down,if shootings the game well paying is part of the game.
Like it or not everything is going to keep going up till bang the bubble explodes and you may not be able to buy no ammo at all so just be happy you can get it.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You have two choices, either pay the prices and keep shooting, or refuse to pay the prices, and ration your ammunition until you are completely out, then stop shooting.
YA running out of ammo makes for a difficult hunt during the rifle season ,even harder sighting in your gun when it's empty before rifle season.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:34 PM

If you ever wanted to get into reloading - the time to start would have been 5 years ago.

I don't hoard but I do have enough reloading components to keep shooting most of my rifles for a couple years, a few longer. It takes some of the sting out of price increases but powder and bullets have gone up stupid high in the last few years.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post

Yeah I haven't forgotten who was gouging, who was not.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:52 AM

Get used to it. It's not getting any easier or cheaper to buy ammo.. sigh