Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Good Hunting Boots?

Fellow Members,

What's your most comfortable, long lasting hunting boots that you own?
I maybe wrong, but I'm tired to spend $250-$300 for a pair of name brand boots to last only 2 seasons.
My last pair was Rocky Long Range, very comfy, fairly warm but falling apart before it's 2nd season ends.
I do walk a lot in creek beds, hills, cutlines - pretty much in every terrain, but I think a pair of boots should last longer than 2 years.
If you do walk a lot, hunt in the coldest temperatures and have a good pair of boots that you like AND LAST, could you share your experience?
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Danner boots!!!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Danner boots!!!!!
How long do they last for you? Are they comfortable as Rockys?
Which one do you have?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 PM

Meindl, the model that I choose to wear, depends on the terrain, and the temperature.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Danner boots!!!!!
Basically the best non work boot money can buy from a shop. Boots are a personal thing what works great for me may not be best for an other. Break in is what most dont do well.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Meindl, the model that I choose to wear, depends on the terrain, and the temperature.
Their Winter Pac looks good, do you happen to have this model?
Where do you buy them?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Looks like Meindl has a lifetime warranty! Interesting!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Their Winter Pac looks good, do you happen to have this model?
Where do you buy them?
I have three pairs, Canada, Denali, and Winter 800. When it gets really cold, I wear Schnee pac boots.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Corcoran are good boots have them for 3 years of every day use
Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 PM

I get to expense a pr thru work, but my Red wings from 2 yrs back are still good.
Is there a safety toe boot anyone can recommend that I can use hunting in Sept- Oct ?

TBark
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM

I love keen's! They're light, waterproof and fit a wide foot! Plus the rubber toe cap is handy when you gotta boot something!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:57 PM

X2 on Danner's. Absolutely love mine. Lightweight, warm, good support, good grip and waterproof. I've had mine for 5 years and are still good and I put on miles. They get a good shot of mink oil every year. IMO maintenance on boots is like everything else.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM

cant beat a pac boot when its the coldest its gonna get but I love my irish setter elk trackers 1000g
Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 PM

Depends on your intended use. Lowa is what I use the bulk of the time unless I'm sitting in a blind WT hunting in November.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Irish Setter, Elk trackers.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM

Kenetrek mountain guide best boot I have ever had light very comfortable
And built tough with a leather coating that never needs anything. Wear them all year everywhere and had for two years look almost new.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Irish setter elk trackers, kenetreks
Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
Looks like Meindl has a lifetime warranty! Interesting!
Where does a guy find these boots at??
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM

I bought a pair of keens last winter for work, new boot on the market for them, it has a dead air space between the sole and insole of the boot, thus stopping the transfer of cold to the bottom of your foot. Wore them every day all winter long doing residential construction, first time in 6 years I didn't have cold feet all winter long. There isn't a lot of insulation in them, so I can't say what they would be like sitting on a stand all day long in -20. But moving around foot stayed dry, not clammy, so foot stayed warm.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I love keen's! They're light, waterproof and fit a wide foot! Plus the rubber toe cap is handy when you gotta boot something!
I have a pair of Keens , but the best bootsI have worn for this time of year until the end of November are Muck Boots!
I put on miles and miles in them hunting behind the dogs over the prairies and in the swamps, and in ground blinds after waterfowl.
They are by far the BEST boots I've ever worn , and I've tried most of the better brands of hiking boots.
I wouldn't want them above the tree line, but everywhere else they are super.
Cat
Old 10-21-2013, 06:06 AM

kenetreks .. best boot I've bought in years .. meindle s I liked but I wore out a pair in 2years of sheep hunting .. . I also wear rocky deer stalkers while bow hunting and hunting the foot hills ..
Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Irish Setter, Elk trackers.
1000g Elk Trackers x4.....cant realy testify to longevity,just got them a month ago,but so far so good,nicest hunting boots I've had in decades.....ever....
Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 AM

Both my son and I wear Meindle boots as we hunt the high country. They are great boots but have had problems with them leaking inspite of the gortex membrane. We buy them at Cabela's and they have been very good about replacing them, two times now. It's frustrating however to spend a day hunting with wet feet.
Anyone else had this experience with Meindles?
I recently was told that Danner now has two lines of boots, one made in China and the other still made in the U.S. The China made boots are of a much lower quality. Do not know if this is fact or not. I know at one time Danners were great well built boots.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 AM

Salomon 4d gtx.

Best boots i have ever had. extreamly comfortable straight out of the box with 0 blisters. I wear them year round and they are fantastic.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5018-010/s...ng-boots-mens/

They go for about $225
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have a pair of Keens , but the best bootsI have worn for this time of year until the end of November are Muck Boots!
I put on miles and miles in them hunting behind the dogs over the prairies and in the swamps, and in ground blinds after waterfowl.
They are by far the BEST boots I've ever worn , and I've tried most of the better brands of hiking boots.
I wouldn't want them above the tree line, but everywhere else they are super.
Cat
We'll sir I do concur! I love my muck boots too! Getting a bit hot just roll the top down a bit and bam! Great boots! I find I get a lot of respect when wearing them at the grocery store too!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM

x-3 on the Muck boosts i have a couple pairs for different seasons the Arctic Sports are unbelievablely warm...As far as hiking boots i know what not to buy and that would be North Face!!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Banned

I'm on year three of hard hunting on my Kenetreks and they are in good condition still. When I but again it will be between Kenetreks, Lowas or hanwags?
Some like the miendls but they aren't the go to boot they used to be. I lost faith after two failed pairs in one season. They warrantied them fine but I hunted with old boots basically all fall.
All makes have pairs with flaws so its tough to pick the perfect company. What lasts for one person doesn't for the next and what is super comfortable for one hurts the next guy after a few miles.
Any of the bigger names have good boots. Biggest part is not getting that one crappy pair out of the batch that doesn't last.
Good luck with what ever boots you get and let us know how they work for you.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
Fellow Members,

What's your most comfortable, long lasting hunting boots that you own?
I maybe wrong, but I'm tired to spend $250-$300 for a pair of name brand boots to last only 2 seasons.
My last pair was Rocky Long Range, very comfy, fairly warm but falling apart before it's 2nd season ends.
I do walk a lot in creek beds, hills, cutlines - pretty much in every terrain, but I think a pair of boots should last longer than 2 years.
If you do walk a lot, hunt in the coldest temperatures and have a good pair of boots that you like AND LAST, could you share your experience?
Thanks!
I do not think you can get one boot to do it all......I have Meindles for cold weather coyote hunting where I do a fair bit of walking and a lot of sitting. For big game where I do a lot of walking in cool/coldish and wet weather, I use Danner Acadias and Danner Fort Lewis. I also wore both Danner types in the Military. They are by far the best boot that I have ever worn. My current pair of Acadias are 7 years old. Takes five minutes with boot dressing to make them look brand new. If you mountain hunt, I think the boot for that is in a different class than the ones I have mentioned. Stay away from asian made Danners......
Old 10-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlockedUp View Post
Irish setter elk trackers, kenetreks
yup i have 5 years on each and they are still in great shape. Elk trackers for cold snowy days, treks for mountains and coulees.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Mickey Mouse boots all the way!! Cheap and perform amazing up to -40

Tags
hunting boots