Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Default Ruger Kmini-14 /5T Ranch Rifle

Looking for anyone willing to share experience with this rifle. It's a tactical version of their Ranch Rifle. (see it here - http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod240439.html )

It will be used for target shooting, possibly competition. So i am looking for accuracy, and ease of use - no misfires, etc.

MOA info would be great, and any input or experience with it. Good and bad!
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM

No personal experience, and I didn't note how well it shot, but shortly after they came out, a guy was shooting one at the Calagary and District Target Shooters range. What I noticed is that it kicked the brass inconsistently. Sometimes 3-4 feet to the right, sometimes straight up, but more often than not, it would throw the brass onto, or over the roof of the shooting shed, almost hitting the parked vehicles (15-20ft easy). As a handloader, I couldn't stand something that threw brass like that.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM

interesting to know. I've been trying to read up about this gun, anywhere I can find info, and reviews. Usually it is talked about how it ejects lower, because of the scope option this rifle has. But good to know. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM

The best adivice I can give is to try a bunch of differnt types of ammo. My brothers shoots the 55 gr win the best (grey box). Dont expect magic, it is just a mini 14 but moa might be possible if you hot a good one.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycagSJTvaJs
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 PM

I had one and sold it this spring. It ejects brass really far. The harmonic balancer on the end of the barrel is really heavy and you have to use up alot of ammo to get it dialed in. I never did. I kind of lost interest in it shortly after I bought it.

In my opinion its a reliable rifle with potential, but there are much better options, for less money out there.

Incidentially it was the first rifle I ever bought. I know better now.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 AM

I do have one of these Rugers and my experience with my rifle has been that it is heavy, the harmonic stabilizer works, it does throw brass, it functions very reliably, and MOA is entirely possible. When I first tried to work up an accurate load I could not get it to group better than about 3-4 inches no matter what I tried. After many tries and reaching the point where I was ready to get rid of it, I noticed the slide was touching the ear of the large commercial bag I was using for a rest. After adjusting my position to move the slide away from the bag, my next group went into 3/4 of an inch. Since then I have tried a number of loads with most going MOA or better with minor adjustments to the stabilizer. At present I am using up some 36 gr varmint grenades which are going right around 3/4 MOA. Try the fit of the rifle before buying as I found the fit of the thumbhole to be uncomfortable and had to do some stock work before it felt right; not a big job but a job nevertheless. Holding and mounting the rifle will also give you some idea of the weight and whether it is too heavy for what you want. It is a fun rifle to shoot!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

accuracy systems inc. might make an adjustable gas block for that model also? i know they offer them for other models etc.i'm sure they would be the same for all but never know......you can adjust it to how far it throws your brass so if it bugs you might be a solution for you
Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all your input so far.

The one video posted, is about the mini 14 tactical , which is not the same gun, but that guy seemed pretty thrilled with it, and it was a great review.

I watched another with a guy dialing in the harmonic stabilizer, and he was getting easily under 1" groupings. It was a pretty awesome video. He showed the groupings of the stabilizer at ever half turn on the settings.

I am concerned with the size and weight of this gun, I'm not a very big person

Un-fortunately, I do not live anywhere even remotely close to anyone selling this gun, so I can't go get my hands on it.

But I have seen a lot of good compelling reviews and video on this make so far.... still thinking though.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithagun View Post
Thanks for all your input so far.

The one video posted, is about the mini 14 tactical , which is not the same gun, but that guy seemed pretty thrilled with it, and it was a great review.

I watched another with a guy dialing in the harmonic stabilizer, and he was getting easily under 1" groupings. It was a pretty awesome video. He showed the groupings of the stabilizer at ever half turn on the settings.

I am concerned with the size and weight of this gun, I'm not a very big person

Un-fortunately, I do not live anywhere even remotely close to anyone selling this gun, so I can't go get my hands on it.

But I have seen a lot of good compelling reviews and video on this make so far.... still thinking though.
For target shooting, especially competition, you'd do a lot better to have a tightly-made bolt-action rifle in a more accurate caliber. That means 6mmBR (or maybe possibly 243), and 308. If you're not already hand-loading, then the 243 or 308.

For a lighter person doing target shooting, you really want a heavier rifle than normal so that it will take the recoil impact instead of you. That's important if you're trying to be accurate. Only if you are definitely going to be doing a lot of spot-and-stalk hunting, especially in the mountains, will you want a lighter rifle.

Instead of that pricey gas gun, why not get 2 rifles - a target ruger 10/22, and a target savage 308 (or maybe 243)?

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Target/index.html

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLP%20DBM
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 PM

I'm left handed,
So most bolt action, unless I buy a specific left handed one, are obviously, awkward.

Also, I'm more interested in a semi-automatic action, for my left handedness.

I won't be doing any hunting, and the gun is not light. So I should be covered

But thank you also for your input!

I have the gun ordered, So I hope I turn out liking it! LOL, Or, you'll see it for sale in a few months
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 AM

I used to have a stainless ranch rifle (not the target model) so I'll skip the poor accuracy comments since your looking at the target version which should be much better. Mine had a 1:7 twist rate barrel.
Function was flawless as long as I used factory ruger mags, I had 3 aftermarket 5/30 round mags and 2 of them were good and 1 fed poorly. I installed a recoil buffer in the action and it cycled nicely but the hold open function became unreliable so I took it out, the gun would throw brass up to 30 ft to the right and I had to warn and appologize to everyone on my right at the range before I started shooting, the aftermarket adjustable gas block would be a good investment.
Good luck
Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 PM

i am looking to trade for a mini 14 ranch rifle
Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Default Mini wonder

Well it is not the target but it is my version of their tactical. Unrestricted good times. I hope all who are looking for one find one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.1 KB, 20 views)

Tags
mini 14, ranch rifle, ruger, tactical