Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 11:04 PM
Banned

Default Helicopter crash during moose survey

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6326746

Hope everyone is ok
Old 01-27-2022, 07:29 AM

That’s too bad, certainly one of the dangers of the chosen lifestyle

A young helicopter pilot named Steve from New Zealand flew equipment for us up north a few times. Last year he went down doing Polar bear surveys in Nunavut and was killed. The biologist was also killed at the same time.

Unfortunate situation, but what a life they got to see before that !
Old 01-27-2022, 07:43 AM

I’ve flown in enough helicopters to know I’m happy to never have to do it again.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-27-2022, 07:57 AM

C-FCQJ, a Bell 206B operated by Delta Helicopters was conducting an aerial wildlife survey

approximately 23 nm East South East of Camrose (CEQ3), AB, with the pilot and three passengers

on board. Approximately an hour and 25 minutes into the flight, the helicopter impacted terrain. The

helicopter remained upright, there was no post-impact fire, and the 406 Mhz ELT activated. The

pilot and three passengers received serious injuries.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:13 AM

Working wildfire for many years and to this day, one of my greatest fears. Always makes the guard hairs stand up when I hear of this happening. I am good friends with many pilots and it is a small world when it comes to being in these machines.
Hopefully everyone is able to make a full recovery, I also hope it wasn't due to pilot error. But that information will come out in the wash later.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:29 AM

Hopefully they all make a speedy recovery.
My nephew is a helicopter pilot. He was the pilot that rescued those horses during the flood in BC if anyone saw that on the news. He has been a pilot for over 20 years. He has had one crash due to mechanical issues but managed to land with no injuries and minor damage to the chopper. He’s a very good pilot but we still worry.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:32 AM

25+ years working Powerline construction and maintenance across Canada and the US.
Helicopter operations being a large part of the execution from live line procedures to access.
Moving personnel, materials/tools, erection and stringing methods.
Stringent procedures and skill levels for the pilots and crews when dealing with transfers from the skid and long line techniques in some of the harshest environments, locations and weather.
Has always been a rush as part of the job, but also respect the training and procedures that allow this type of work to to be carried out.
As with most procedures and codes, each rule is written in blood from learnings of past events to ensure safe operations moving forward.
Ground and catching crews are as integral as those aloft, communication and a full comprehension of the task at hand is required.
Zero margin for error.
Have seen some amazing places and sights during these operations,
but always respect the nature of the work and the skillsets and experience of those in the operations and on the crews.
Most helicopter incidents are not forgiving, no matter what industry they are used for.
Hope those involved have a speedy recovery.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:10 PM

terrible... had a buddy that was guiding in Yukon die in a helicopter crash several years ago.

prayers for the survivors.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-27-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
C-FCQJ, a Bell 206B operated by Delta Helicopters was conducting an aerial wildlife survey

approximately 23 nm East South East of Camrose (CEQ3), AB, with the pilot and three passengers

on board. Approximately an hour and 25 minutes into the flight, the helicopter impacted terrain. The

helicopter remained upright, there was no post-impact fire, and the 406 Mhz ELT activated. The

pilot and three passengers received serious injuries.
Wonder if he lost power and had to counter rotate? Those can be pretty forceful impacts if thats the case.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’ve flown in enough helicopters to know I’m happy to never have to do it again.
Its weird i hear lots of people say the same thing. I miss being in them dearly. I spent a few years logging out of and under them and absolutely love them.

I used to fish on days off with our 206 pilot and we would keep our Steelhead gear in the heli on days on. If we got fogged out in the setting Morris would slide in and grab me and we would go hit up some awesome steelhead spots while we waited out the fog. Man I took those day for granted. So much fun.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:39 PM

Default Helicopter crash

I’ve flown as a spotter for Alberta Fish and Wildlife when they have done their wildlife surveys. Never once did we get close enough to the ground to be in danger of contacting terrain. We were low over the tree tops a lot of the time, but not that close. Would be interesting to be able to hear the whole story of what happened. P.S. A farmer friend of mine had his tractor there at the site of the crash plowing a trail into the field so that emergency crews could access the site. Having supper with him and his family tomorrow night. I’ll have to ask him what happened.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:44 PM

Those surveys are at about 300' not much chance to auto rotate
Old 01-27-2022, 06:53 PM

Had a few close calls in the Artic when weather moved in and machine was in a white bubble , no one could see the ground. Just plain freaky. Never get in one again.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I’ve flown as a spotter for Alberta Fish and Wildlife when they have done their wildlife surveys. Never once did we get close enough to the ground to be in danger of contacting terrain. We were low over the tree tops a lot of the time, but not that close. Would be interesting to be able to hear the whole story of what happened. P.S. A farmer friend of mine had his tractor there at the site of the crash plowing a trail into the field so that emergency crews could access the site. Having supper with him and his family tomorrow night. I’ll have to ask him what happened.
If the helicopter comes down from 1000 feet and hits the ground, they still call it impacting terrain.
I have a commercial pilot license, but haven't flown for years. Never wanted to do helicopters. At least in a plane, especially on floats you have at least 50 50 chance of a successful forced landing. Auto rotation in a helicopter does not appeal to me too much.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:18 PM

It’s not lost on me that our wildlife bios put themselves at risk to collect the data used to support our hunting opportunities. We owe them respect and recognition for this at least, if not gratitude. I imagine it’s hard on their group now, particularly on those who are contemplating a decision to get into a machine and do more surveys.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:06 AM

The tough part of conducting wildlife surveys is exactly what has been mentioned above. When you are in a helicopter anything around the 300' AGL mark is a grey zone, not enough altitude to have a successful auto rotation. These wildlife surveys are important, but low level flying, mixed with tight turns when spotting wildlife can make for very dangerous flying. Not to mention the 100s of other factors that can play into it.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:19 AM

Default Helicopter crash during moose

When we were doing it, there were some very tight turns being made. That depends largely on the pilot. Once we had a older guy flying, and he was very cautious about how he did his thing. Another time, we had a young guy flying, and we did some pretty radical moves. Lots of times it seemed like the closest part of your body to the ground was your shoulder.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:31 AM

changes in temps and ice accumulation could have been a factor perhaps?

condolences to all involved and affected

I have been in many helicopters, coolest machines on the planet but also very sensitive.

Had a guy not close a storage bin properly once and when we landed it was flapping quite near the tail rotor, the pilots facial expression will never be forgotten.....
Old 01-28-2022, 09:25 AM

Scary stuff.

About 10 years ago, I had the privilege to work on a remote project in the mountains. Got to fly in and out for about two years. You get to know the pilots and some were an absolute blast to interact with.

Getting to help with long-lining equipment in, and flying in different weather conditions was super interesting. Almost got stuck on the mountain once due to weather, but the pilot had a few tricks up his sleeve which included alarming proximity to the mountain cliff face.

I couldn't believe I was getting paid to do that. Man, I wish I had documented it better. We even brought in a K-max from Montana for part of it. That thing was a beast with the dual rotors.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 01-28-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Scary stuff.

About 10 years ago, I had the privilege to work on a remote project in the mountains. Got to fly in and out for about two years. You get to know the pilots and some were an absolute blast to interact with.

Getting to help with long-lining equipment in, and flying in different weather conditions was super interesting. Almost got stuck on the mountain once due to weather, but the pilot had a few tricks up his sleeve which included alarming proximity to the mountain cliff face.

I couldn't believe I was getting paid to do that. Man, I wish I had documented it better. We even brought in a K-max from Montana for part of it. That thing was a beast with the dual rotors.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Those K-Max are impressive machines, they can lift an incredible amount, and the person who was responsible for coming up the engineering on those rotor blades had to have some serious nuggets. They always look like they'll touch.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Those surveys are at about 300' not much chance to auto rotate

Lots of room for an auto at 300ft a lot depends on forward airspeed
2500hrs of PIC helicopter.

Might have been LTE loss of tail rotor effectiveness 206s are terrible for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2022, 12:24 AM

A friend of mine is a heli pilot and helicopter mechanic. After walking away from two crashes he no longer flies them. His words: if you spend enough time in a helicopter you will die in a helicopter.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
A friend of mine is a heli pilot and helicopter mechanic. After walking away from two crashes he no longer flies them. His words: if you spend enough time in a helicopter you will die in a helicopter.
It is understood by many, that if you spend enough time on earth, thta you will probably die there as well.......now let's leave this incident to the Transport Canada investigation..
Old 02-02-2022, 10:55 AM

https://www.gofundme.com/f/Sarel-Hofmeyr

Here is the link for the pilot that was injured in the incident, if anyone feels inclined to donate. Thought members of the forum who have had many experiences in and around the industry would be interested.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:14 PM

I spent years running crews using helicopters. Can't even imagine how many hours I have in and working around these machines. For the most part all mediums (212's, 205's, ect...). They were used for transport and long lining heavy equipment usually in mountainous terrain. We all know what weather conditions can be like in the mountains. Granted the medium drivers have a lot of hours under their belt compared to many light pilots, but I can tell you that helicopters are very safe. Very few incidents, but when there is one, everyone knows about it. I feel just as safe in a helicopter as I do in a motor vehicle (even when I was given the controls if I happened to be out for a flight). Had some pretty wild and bumpy rides in the mountain winds that would have guys going pale and grabbing at anything to hang onto, but never worried about going down
Old 02-04-2022, 10:31 AM

Scary. I always loved travelling in a helicopters, especially deploying from them during training and operations. Great rides but when they come down it happens fast.

I was part of deployment tests in Gagetown when the CF first trialed the Griffons. The Griffons could not stay in the air with the crew and six troops with gear. During a week of deployments I was onboard for six sudden drops. I called them crashes because of the sudden impacts, broken trees, smoke, and fire, but my opinion did not matter since I was only a Master Corporal. The brass classified them as unscheduled landings and successful testing.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:11 PM

Some bittersweet news regarding this. Could have been worse. Sounds like bad timing for the pilot and his family. I hope he is well compensated through WCB and insurance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...very-1.6343221