Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2022, 11:13 PM

Hey Tikka, what kind of a bipod are you using on the rifle in the last pic?
Old 01-04-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Hey Tikka, what kind of a bipod are you using on the rifle in the last pic?

That's just a Caldwell pivot xla model. The grey duct tape under the front is from being on the Mrs gun that has a shortened forened.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-04-2022, 02:26 PM

Tikka 250 how are you liking the swift compared to the 22-250.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Tikka 250 how are you liking the swift compared to the 22-250.
So far I'm really liking it. I have it stoked up pretty hot so it has some great oomf still with just 22 inch barrel. Cycles flawless with zero hiccups. Only thing I wish I could change is the noise it generates which is no different than the 22-250.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
So far I'm really liking it. I have it stoked up pretty hot so it has some great oomf still with just 22 inch barrel. Cycles flawless with zero hiccups. Only thing I wish I could change is the noise it generates which is no different than the 22-250.
What I would give to be able to hunt coyotes with a suppressor. Hunt anything for that matter, but especially coyotes.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:27 PM

I took my daughter out calling for the first time last Sunday. First stand we didn't see anything other than my cows who were pretty stirred up by all of the commotion. It was breezy so we moved into an old growth spruce stand for the second stand. 27 seconds after we started calling (timed it on the video), three coyotes came in hot. Lacey missed, which turned two of them and the third one blazed by us at 3m and I missed it. We switched to a coyote pup distress call and soon had 3 or 4 more coyotes come in, and within 3 minutes we had both emptied our rifles and had 3 coyotes down. I couldn't have scripted a more exciting hunt to get a new hunter interested in the sport. My friend was along to video and run the caller, and he posted the video on you tube (Coyote Day with Lacey).

I shot a coyote at 20 yards on the third stand and was caught day dreaming by another that came in. Lacey drilled one at the 4 set up with a 40 yard shot.

I think we timed it perfect with the first warm day in a couple of weeks. The action was unbelievable, and I'm a committed bush caller now.

3 of the 5 were big males. They all had good fur but one had rubbed his tail.

I'd also like to be able to use a suppressor. And an AR15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LT coyote hunt.jpg (130.0 KB, 119 views)

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-06-2022, 04:51 PM

Great story. Your daughter will likely never forget it. By the way, that rubbed tail is likely mange. I would burn the carcass, skin on. I would not skin it, nor touch it without rubber gloves. The mites that transmit mange can spread it to people and othe canines. Wash everything well if it was in contact with mites.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-06-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:23 PM

Default 2020/2021

Awesome story. My daughter and I used to hunt together until she grew up and moved away from home. Those were the best hunts of my life. In heavy cover like that a shotgun might be just the ticket for those close ones. Well done dad.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 01-06-2022 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 01-24-2022, 08:55 PM

So it's been a while since I could get out but this week I have managed to get back in the swing of things. The warm wet weather has not been ideal for calling so for the last few stands all I have gotten is wet. Though I did manage to snap this cool picture during a bout of freezing rain.
PXL_20220120_234750047._exported_167_1642783913593 by brad , on Flickr
This afternoon at work it had finally cooled down and with a nice light east wind my plans were made to head back to my east wind honey hole once again. Before Christmas I had a absolute goat rope of a stand here resulting in 5 rounds fired and only one coyote down.
Knowing there was more coyotes here and not wanting to use the same sounds as before, the foxpro x2s was brought along to accompany the hand calls.
I walked in carefully scanning for coyotes as I went and sure enough right when i was placing the foxpro I locked eyes with a pair that had been sleeping not 100 yards away.
With them long gone I worried that the stand had been blown. With no time to move I sat down against my rock and from my lanyard pulled out a new open reed howler i had just recently made.
The lonesome howls had barely finished echoing across the pasture when like an apparition a coyote appeared 100 yards in front of me.
The large male stood there scanning for the intruder or potential mate but not seeing anything didn't move. Thinking to be sneaky I pressed play on mouse squeaks on the foxpro but nothing happened. Vole squeaks and volume up didn't work either. It was then I realized I had neglected to turn the dang thing on!
So back to old school. A few lip squeaks brought the cagey old male in a little closer but it was apparent that he didn't want to break cover without seeing a valid reason to do so.
When he turned his head slightly I sat up and with a boom and a WHUMP his ticket was punched.
The coyote died to the left of the barrel above the rock along the treeline.
PXL_20220125_000340876.PANO by , on Flickr
Here's the custom homemade howler that did him in.
PXL_20220125_002000702.MP by brad , on Flickr
He was a pretty big bugger that surprised me when he only weighed in at 32lbs

PXL_20220125_002249896.MP by brad , on Flickr

Old 01-24-2022, 09:43 PM

Good job man, how was the fur on this guy? Any mange?
We are going out tomorrow, looking forward to getting out of the city…
Old 01-24-2022, 09:53 PM

Great work as always!
Love how the sunset colors come right up to your rifle on the snow!
I have been seeing lots of dogs but just not getting them in range!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-24-2022, 10:19 PM

Awsum. Sure like your adventures
Old 01-25-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Good job man, how was the fur on this guy? Any mange?
We are going out tomorrow, looking forward to getting out of the city…
Fur was in great condition. Little bit of matting from the freezing rain but no damages at all.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:08 PM

Good work guys! I need to get out......... get some permissions.

Any of you Dartman or the Neighbour? ........... best handles ever! Youtube'em if you're wondering what I'm talking about.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I took my daughter out calling for the first time last Sunday. First stand we didn't see anything other than my cows who were pretty stirred up by all of the commotion. It was breezy so we moved into an old growth spruce stand for the second stand. 27 seconds after we started calling (timed it on the video), three coyotes came in hot. Lacey missed, which turned two of them and the third one blazed by us at 3m and I missed it. We switched to a coyote pup distress call and soon had 3 or 4 more coyotes come in, and within 3 minutes we had both emptied our rifles and had 3 coyotes down. I couldn't have scripted a more exciting hunt to get a new hunter interested in the sport. My friend was along to video and run the caller, and he posted the video on you tube (Coyote Day with Lacey).

I shot a coyote at 20 yards on the third stand and was caught day dreaming by another that came in. Lacey drilled one at the 4 set up with a 40 yard shot.

I think we timed it perfect with the first warm day in a couple of weeks. The action was unbelievable, and I'm a committed bush caller now.

3 of the 5 were big males. They all had good fur but one had rubbed his tail.

I'd also like to be able to use a suppressor. And an AR15.
Watched the video, looked awfully exciting! Was that a Foxpro? If so, which distress call was that?
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2022, 10:51 AM

Well with a newborn at home the chances to get out have really dwindled.
I managed to get out for one quick stand that was so rushed I never got pictures. Long story short a small female came in to pup distress and I whiffed the shot, hit guts, made a mess, and rushed home with my bloody messy coyote.
Yesterday though.
On my way home from work I decided to take a small backroad that leads past some really thick bush that is well known for having coyotes. My plan being to hopefully spot coyotes from the road then park and double back on foot to coax em into the open for a shot.
Sure enough I spotted a foreign lump on top of a dugout bank 300 yards off the road. With 220swift in hand I silently made my way through the bush. With waning cover and a solid view of the big sleeping coyote I setup for my shot and with a CRACK and a WHOPP the coyote crumpled even further and slid down the bank.
Upon further inspection this was a real old dog with wore down teeth that seemed huge. After weighing him he only tipped the scales at 35 lb but still impressive to catch him sleeping out in the open!
PXL_20220221_224425474.MP by brad , on Flickr

Old 02-22-2022, 11:26 AM

Well done. That does look like a big dog.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:00 PM

Nice old dog! And congratulations on the new born, now I can understand your absence.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 02-23-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Nice old dog! And congratulations on the new born, now I can understand your absence.
Thank you. It sure makes daytime time off a bit tricky. Wish we could night hunt.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Thank you. It sure makes daytime time off a bit tricky. Wish we could night hunt.
OHHHHHHH me too

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB