Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 09:18 PM

Default Donkeys meat shop build.

Growing up we always cut up our own hogs. And I like working with meat, I’ve did be a few beef and pork on my own, but it hasn’t been enjoyable due to lack of facilities, and equipment. So we would take our hogs, and steers to the local butcher. But my place is set up for turning animals out, not loading them up, and now you have to book a butcher date out so far, that I’ve had to butcher animals that weren’t quite ready.

I had this space available, and decided to turn it into a meat shop for my own use. I don’t really get any enjoyment out of slaughter, but I really like that I can walk into my pasture to slaughter an animal, and the animal will be under zero stress.

I think the space is laid out alright, the saw is 3 phase, I’ve got a VFD to make that run. There’s some bugs to work out there, I probably wouldn’t go the 3 phase route again, but it’ll get sorted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D682493-A1D1-456E-9EFB-E6939B715D79.jpg (19.7 KB, 453 views)
Old 10-11-2021, 09:27 PM

None of my other pics will upload!

In addition to the table and garden hose, there a walk-in cooler, freezers, saw, more table, a large sink, and a wood stove. I think it’ll be a nice place to work, and make clean up easy.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:13 PM

I’m jealous!! That looks like a great set up
Old 10-11-2021, 11:37 PM

Cool man. I'm currently looking for a condensing unit for a cooler. (decided against the coolbot method). However, I need to get it into a building, not in the garage.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:04 AM

Got my picture issue sorted out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2A3C0416-AA5B-4677-8EE2-B8A0A15AA315.jpg (20.3 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg EC94AFD3-D120-4789-94DE-D8D8E2335563.jpg (23.5 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg CC6EBC20-7A10-488A-A472-17F25D208B11.jpg (24.2 KB, 289 views)
Old 10-12-2021, 06:24 AM

Looks great. Who doesn’t like meat.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:44 AM

Very nice setup!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:48 AM

Impressive! We all need a space like that!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-12-2021, 09:37 AM

The absolute worst part of butchering has got to be clean up and the more you can simplify that, the more sense it makes to process your own meat.
Donkey, does your meat shop have a floor drain system? Can you pressure wash the walls, etc.?
Nice setup btw.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:17 AM

Yes, there is a floor drain. I made a 16 inch “baseboard “ out of fibreglass board, and sealed it to the floor with the intention of pressure washing. I coated the floor in epoxy, and it cleans up really easy. I probably won’t use a pressure washer in there.

If I were to do it again, I would have tinned the interior walls.

Last edited by ditch donkey; 10-12-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-12-2021, 10:37 AM

Really beautiful job. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
Yes, there is a floor drain. I made a 16 inch “baseboard “ out of fibreglass board, and sealed it to the floor with the intention of pressure washing. I coated the floor in epoxy, and it cleans up really easy. I probably won’t use a pressure washer in there.

If I were to do it again, I would have tinned the interior walls.
Very nice! What did you make the walls out of? You said you would run them next time, just wondering if it’s pained plywood/drywall right now or a plastic type product like they use on public restroom walls that can be pressure washed? Would love a set up like that but I don’t get near enough time to hunt never mind process game😤
Old 10-12-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Looks great. Who doesn’t like meat.
Vegans.

Who needs vegans anyways - nobody likes them anyways

They can't be trusted.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Very nice! What did you make the walls out of? You said you would run them next time, just wondering if it’s pained plywood/drywall right now or a plastic type product like they use on public restroom walls that can be pressure washed? Would love a set up like that but I don’t get near enough time to hunt never mind process game😤
It’s painted OSB, I used the restroom material for the bottom 16”.

I’m into it for a bit of money, but I think within 3 years it will have paid for itself, in cut and wrap savings. Sooner if I addin the cost of building a corral and loading system.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:33 PM

Talking

Quote:
It’s painted OSB, I used the restroom material for the bottom 16”.

I’m into it for a bit of money, but I think within 3 years it will have paid for itself, in cut and wrap savings. Sooner if I addin the cost of building a corral and loading system.
Could paid for it sooner if you to rent the space by the hour to hunters that want to process their own but don’t have the space . It’s be like a self serve car wash place thinking $20 To wash the truck but end up spending $50.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Could paid for it sooner if you to rent the space by the hour to hunters that want to process their own but don’t have the space . It’s be like a self serve car wash place thinking $20 To wash the truck but end up spending $50.
I thought of that. They’ve changed the laws a lot, I haven’t looked into it too hard, but I believe I could sell an animal, the customer could kill it on my property and I could charge them to use my facility. But it’s honestly a liability nightmare. And I have enough struggle in my life.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I thought of that. They’ve changed the laws a lot, I haven’t looked into it too hard, but I believe I could sell an animal, the customer could kill it on my property and I could charge them to use my facility. But it’s honestly a liability nightmare. And I have enough struggle in my life.
You would need a premise licence. $100 I think.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-13-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
You would need a premise licence. $100 I think.
$100 dollars,
plus insurance,
plus maintenance,
Plus dealing with people who leave a mess, break things, drink too much while cutting meat. And everything else that goes with it.

It’s not a bad idea for a business, but I am a believer if you are going to be in business, you should be in business. And I don’t have the time available to make that business profitable, and worthwhile.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:46 AM

Default Friends

I will be everybody's BFF if I have this. Can we be friend?
Old 10-14-2021, 08:12 PM

Be cautious of the wood stove.

I remember that as a teen, my family butchered a steer in very cold weather. To keep it from freezing solid while hanging, they started the wood stove in the old milk house.

That damn steer was some of the toughest beef I've ever had, and it absorbed a wood/coal smell. Every piece of meat tasted like smoke (not the good smoke flavor).

I'm not sure the stove was vented properly, or if it was allowed to go nearly out.

I was sure glad to see the last of that steer.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Be cautious of the wood stove.

I remember that as a teen, my family butchered a steer in very cold weather. To keep it from freezing solid while hanging, they started the wood stove in the old milk house.

That damn steer was some of the toughest beef I've ever had, and it absorbed a wood/coal smell. Every piece of meat tasted like smoke (not the good smoke flavor).

I'm not sure the stove was vented properly, or if it was allowed to go nearly out.

I was sure glad to see the last of that steer.
Never thought of that, but I believe it. I think I’ll be ok here though, the building is insulated pretty well, so the stove will only get lit on meat cutting day, if at all.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:01 AM

Do you have a reversing valve on the cooler so that it'll heat the cooler in the cold months?
Old 10-15-2021, 10:09 AM

No, but the latest that cooler will be used is mid December, even prolonged cold weather (-30) it barely gets below freezing in there.

If it does become an issue, I’ll light the wood stove, or put an electric heater in the building.

Last edited by ditch donkey; 10-15-2021 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-15-2021, 10:11 AM

I am really impressed.

I am also a teeny bit jealous.

Nice work!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Nice

That's a really nice space you've created. I'm jealous. Garage is mine.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the kind words folks.

The meat shop is attached to my barn. A few years ago, I tinned the barn, tore down the old lean to of the side, tore out the concrete, and had a new pad and lean-to built on the side of the barn.

I was going to use it for parking the skid steer, and doing wood work. Not that I do a lot of wood work by any means, but it’s so messy I thought it’d be nice to have a spot set aside.

Then I looked at it, saw it was a nice size space, floor drain, lots of plug ins - I hate blowing breakers so there’s only 2 receptacles per breaker. Which is overkill for sure, but I thought I’d use it for wood stuff and some tools have a lot of draw. It doesn’t hurt my feelings to have each freezer on its own circuit. Access to well water. And thought, this would make a nice meat shop!

Took about 5 years of work, watching buy and sells for deals on a coolers, saw, tables, cabinets.

Everything is built, purchased, or installed with cleanliness, and ease of cleaning in mind. Tried to stay with stainless steel.

Slaughter day is about a week away, I’ll keep y’all posted.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
If you are raising animals you already have a Premise ID.

Apply through Alberta Ag and Forestry, Meat Inspection for an On Farm Slaughter License, (OFSL), and you are set to run your own kill and process business.

It doesn’t take much work. Just a few minor written procedures and a walk through for an approval licence by the Meat Inspection Regional Supervisor in your area.

No meat inspector required to attend any of your kills, just submit your monthly kill numbers and you are set to go.

Super jealous of your set up.