Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 06:22 PM
Banned

Default fitting problem with Boyds stock

I recently invested in a Boyds stock for my wife's Savage .223 M10 rifle with removable 4 round mag. The action fits perfectly but their seems to be a problem with the magazine attachment. On the synthetic stock, there Is a small ledge in the front of the mag well that allows the mag to clip into place. This is missing from the bottom of the wood stock. Has anyone had this issue with Boyds? I fired off an email to Boyds for some advice and I thought I should check for help here.
Thanks all.
Trooper.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:39 PM

You need steel bottom metal, Savage sells it direct, just give their customer service a call, tell them it’s for a Boyd’s stock, also have the rifles serial number handy.

1-800-370-0708

Been there done dat.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-26-2020, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You need steel bottom metal, Savage sells it direct, just give their customer service a call, tell them it’s for a Boyd’s stock, also have the rifles serial number handy.

1-800-370-0708

Been there done dat.
Thank you! I'll do that tomorrow
Old 02-27-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

1-800-370-0708

Been there done dat.
Agreed. Did that too. With the price of the new bottom metal, and in my case I needed a different magazine, it was not a cheap stock switch. Then you need to mention Boyds stocks, shipping and exchange, plus all the add ons you can get make them kind of ritzy if you go whole hog, with the checkering, better recoil pad etc.. If I remember right it was around $280 just for all the bits and pieces from Savage.

Did make a heck of a pretty gun when done though and it shot absolutely great. Some fellow talked me into selling it to him at the range after he saw how it shot so I actually got all my money back plus a bit but I would not count on being able to do that again any time soon.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:17 PM
Banned

I've ordered that bottom metal for her rifle and I'm now waiting for delivery. I recently watched a utube video series about glass bedding the action into the stock. I've ordered devcon 10110 and when I get those two items in the mail, I'll start the bedding process. My wife won't hunt instead loves to punch paper at 100 meters. Her best group to date was a 5 round 1-1/8" group, but that being said, she's still very new at the sport. I fully expect her to improve with practice.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I've ordered that bottom metal for her rifle and I'm now waiting for delivery. I recently watched a utube video series about glass bedding the action into the stock. I've ordered devcon 10110 and when I get those two items in the mail, I'll start the bedding process. My wife won't hunt instead loves to punch paper at 100 meters. Her best group to date was a 5 round 1-1/8" group, but that being said, she's still very new at the sport. I fully expect her to improve with practice.

Fyi you don't need to order Devcon by mail if you're in one of the majors. Unless you're rural of course. No idea of your wheteabouts.

Last edited by 270person; 03-05-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Fyi you don't need to order Devcoon by mail if you're in one of the Sask, Ab, majors. Unless you're rural of course.
We live waay out in the boonies. it would cost us more for fuel to travel into the city to pick up anything by itself. when we do go, we buy in bulk. Amazon is our friend... BTW, I'm looking at a wheeler fat wrench to add to my tool list. knowing that there is an analog and a digital version, which one is better for the money?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
We live waay out in the boonies. it would cost us more for fuel to travel into the city to pick up anything by itself. when we do go, we buy in bulk. Amazon is our friend... BTW, I'm looking at a wheeler fat wrench to add to my tool list. knowing that there is an analog and a digital version, which one is better for the money?

Google Motion Canada. Quite a few locations across Canada including towns you wouldnt suspect. I just walked into an Edmonton location, they ordered from their warehouse and it was there next day. Good pricing as well I think. Believe it was $65.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Google Motion Canada. Quite a few locations across Canada including towns you wouldnt suspect. I just walked into an Edmonton location, they ordered from their warehouse and it was there next day. Good pricing as well I think. Believe it was $65.
Which one did you order, digital or analog?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Get the a analoq. No batteries and the one I have had for 20 years still works great.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Get the a analoq. No batteries and the one I have had for 20 years still works great.
Thanks Dean, I'm ordering one from Cabelas asap..
Old 03-05-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Which one did you order, digital or analog?

I was referring to the Devcon