Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 01:08 PM
Banned

Default NG bill add-ons

Resurrecting an old thread about how there are so many additional charges on NG bills in Alberta.

Buddies were whining about this last night, so to provide another perspective using my Mother's house in Coquitlam, BC, Jan 14 - Feb 12 2020:

Cost of gas: $14.10 (9.1 Gj @ 1.019/Gj)

Basic charge: $11.85
Delivery: $41.82
Storage & transport: $9.27
Carbon tax: $18.08
Clean energy levy: $0.31
GST: $4.76

Total: $100.19

Cost of gas is 14.07% of the total. Maybe it's not so bad here after all.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:34 PM

Default NG bills

Isn't it great to see that we get to pay GST on top of the taxes & levies. It never ends.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:54 AM

This is how utilities screw everybody. They dream up extra charges for anything they can think of. Transmission charges distribution charges delivery charges administration charges...it never ends. Then they advertise solely on the basic cost of service and when that goes up they tell you it's "out of their control ". It's become an institution of scamming and there's nothing you can do but go completely off grid. Even if you use no energy you still pay all the extra fees.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
This is how utilities screw everybody. They dream up extra charges for anything they can think of. Transmission charges distribution charges delivery charges administration charges...it never ends. Then they advertise solely on the basic cost of service and when that goes up they tell you it's "out of their control ". It's become an institution of scamming and there's nothing you can do but go completely off grid. Even if you use no energy you still pay all the extra fees.
Thank Ralph, he privatized utilities.

Grizz
Old 02-25-2020, 11:31 AM

yes you can thank Ralph, last thing we need is more union strikes. and thanks for privatizing liquor stores , highways, etc.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Thank Ralph, he privatized utilities.

Grizz
I wish we had Klein back almost every single day.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:59 PM

I've thought many, many times about chatting with my neighbor, splitting the line after the meter, and then paying half the bill.

I haven't done it, for obvious reasons, but I'd sure like to.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:16 PM

My nat gas bill had $38 in carbon tax this month. Must be like a goldmine that hauls cleans smelts and sells itself for them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-25-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I've thought many, many times about chatting with my neighbor, splitting the line after the meter, and then paying half the bill.

I haven't done it, for obvious reasons, but I'd sure like to.
thats a pretty good idea .
Old 02-25-2020, 06:08 PM

And let's not forget the GST that we pay on the Carbon Tax yet, you know a tax on a tax, really cool

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My nat gas bill had $38 in carbon tax this month. Must be like a goldmine that hauls cleans smelts and sells itself for them.
I just heard a commercial from the Government of Canada that as an Albertan you get a tax credit for carbon tax when you file your income tax.. True of False ??
Old 02-25-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I just heard a commercial from the Government of Canada that as an Albertan you get a tax credit for carbon tax when you file your income tax.. True of False ??
SO ? a tax is a tax is a tax...on a tax !Some famous Lieberal said that once........
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My nat gas bill had $38 in carbon tax this month.
You didn't take Rachel's advice to turn your thermostat down & put on a sweater?

There's no carbon tax if you burn old tires for heat & light on Earth Day...
Old 02-26-2020, 12:01 AM

Everyone that has a gas bill should phone the regulator and complain about the charges daily. That'll be the only way to change it.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:51 AM

I also like how the power companies are always telling us to use less power, CFL or LED light bulbs, use energy efficient appliances...etc...

The only person that saves money doing that is them. They make their money on the fees, not much on the actual power used.

The difference in my power bill in winter verses summer is negligible.
I run the hot tub all year round, lights are on longer in winter, vehicles plugged in..etc... the difference in the amount I pay for actual power usage is minimal.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Everyone that has a gas bill should phone the regulator and complain about the charges daily. That'll be the only way to change it.
They won't even tell you what the charges are actually for. I remember an Edmonton Sun columnist calling I think it was Direct Energy. He asked them to explain the difference between "transmission charges" and "distribution charges ". He was put on hold for hours and never did get an explanation.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
They won't even tell you what the charges are actually for. I remember an Edmonton Sun columnist calling I think it was Direct Energy. He asked them to explain the difference between "transmission charges" and "distribution charges ". He was put on hold for hours and never did get an explanation.
Please note that I didn't say to call the company, I said to call the government regulator that allows them to keep raising the fees.And call the regulator ever day. Get every one else you know of to do that as well.

The reason the fee rates keep being approved for increase by the regulator is that no one that has a gas bill calls in to complain.

If everyone on this forum that had a gas bill called in 2 times a week, it's likely that the regulator would not only tell the gas company that there will be no more increases, but to start cutting their rates. Possibly through back channels, but it's still effective.