Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Default What about rainbows?

Why does everyone here like rainbow trout? I’ve been wondering why people like them
Old 02-23-2020, 11:41 AM

They are one of my least favorite fish to target actually.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:05 PM

I think it is more about that rainbows are on average a hardy species, easy to grow in hatcheries, high survival rate, growth rate, disease resistance and are more tolerant to the vast variety of water conditions they get released into as opposed to other trout species.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:28 PM

Like em.

Acrobatic,

Fight well,

Not difficult to catch,

ok to eat,(though I dont eat them very often)

Plentiful,

Good fish for beginners and older people or kids(no teeth,spines etc)

And what Bushrat said.

edit: Readily take artificials (flies or hardware). But will take bait as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-23-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I think it is more about that rainbows are on average a hardy species, easy to grow in hatcheries, high survival rate, growth rate, disease resistance and are more tolerant to the vast variety of water conditions they get released into as opposed to other trout species.
They are definitely an easier species to work with. The other big factor is the available stock and strains. Browns have some advantages but strains and stock is way more limited in comparison
Old 02-23-2020, 01:03 PM

One of my least favorite fish to target.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:50 PM

I don't think there's a fish out there I don't enjoy catching. Rainbows are fun to catch, scrappy little buggers that are willing to entertain us for hours on end.

I obviously prefer wild rainbows to stocked, as they tend to be bigger, a little more challenging to entice, and better eating - but a rainbow is fun fish to catch.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I don't think there's a fish out there I don't enjoy catching. Rainbows are fun to catch, scrappy little buggers that are willing to entertain us for hours on end.

I obviously prefer wild rainbows to stocked, as they tend to be bigger, a little more challenging to entice, and better eating - but a rainbow is fun fish to catch.
You got that right. I grew up in BC targeting all kinds of trout in the mountains and they are so tasty. Now go to Carson lake and that had to be worst tasting fish I have ever had. Miss those trips to Echo Lake and Keefer. Tons of lakes outside of Vernon
Old 02-23-2020, 06:56 PM

Wait until you catch a steelhead like I used to every winter when I lived in Vancouver, now that's a rainbow for you...
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 PM

Probably cause a lot of the lakes with natural fish in them are barley worth fishing stocked lakes with rainbows are plentiful and accessible.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:33 PM

Default What about rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Probably cause a lot of the lakes with natural fish in them are barley worth fishing stocked lakes with rainbows are plentiful and accessible.
This, and they are great fighters.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Wait until you catch a steelhead like I used to every winter when I lived in Vancouver, now that's a rainbow for you...
Shopping for a new center pin this weekend. I was hitting them in the Vedder a few years back. Oh, to be back on the coast.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:50 PM

Fun fish to catch, usually fish for them in spring in the potholes just as the ice comes off until mid may or so. I'm fortunate to have a few quality trout lakes fairly close and it's always fun kicking the dust off the fly rod and enjoying the spring season. I find the bigger ones can get pretty picky and it's fun trying to figure out what exactly they want.

On the other hand the smaller ones can be fun to and usually a bit more willing and scrappier then the big lugs before the water warms up.

Great looking fish and the lake I fish most (and maybe all the QSF's are like this now) used to stock diploids and honestly I kinda miss the colours the the males would have in the spring.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:22 AM

I'd sooner catch river run browns or brookies than rainbows in Alberta. Like mentioned BC cold water rainbows are so yummy compared to Alberta's pothole trout.
Steelhead/sea-run rainbows were mentioned. I caught sea-run dolly varden and cutthroat trout from shore in the Skeena back in the day that were darn good too.

I know some of Alberta's farmed trout are pretty tasty too depending on what they are fed and the water controls. I had some farmed trout from near Devon years ago that were very good quality. From a spring fed gravel bottom dugout. I would bet that Northwind's trout are tasty too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 02-24-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:54 AM

damn girlyfish, cant even take a pic without them croaking

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-24-2020, 12:36 PM

Best fighting trout in Alberta. Like to jump, take some good runs.
Willing to eat dry flies.
Can grow to 15lb with enough food to eat.

Eating quality is determined by the algae, water chemistry, and food available in the lake...not the species of fish.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:59 PM

I think an important distinction here is fishing technique. I know guys who will target Pike with fly gear but it's rare. Most fly guys target smaller, pickier fish.

I've only ever targeted them on spinning gear and it can be a PITA!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Shopping for a new center pin this weekend. I was hitting them in the Vedder a few years back. Oh, to be back on the coast.
I know how you feel. My Hardy Silex is starting to get rusty!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Genetically, steelhead are closer to salmon than rainbow trout. But yes, when I lived in Vancouver I was addicted to steelheading. I think I still have one of the ubiquitous Vedder River vests somewhere in the basement.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Genetically, steelhead are closer to salmon than rainbow trout. But yes, when I lived in Vancouver I was addicted to steelheading. I think I still have one of the ubiquitous Vedder River vests somewhere in the basement.
Steelhead is something I'd love to fish for someday. From what I understand not so much a "girly" fish as a "melt your drag right off" fish.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Steelhead are just a subspecies of rainbows and only share habits similar to salmon. Genetically they are very much so rainbows and they are easily cross bred because of it.

It was once believed they were closer to salmon but that is outdated information.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Steelhead is something I'd love to fish for someday. From what I understand not so much a "girly" fish as a "melt your drag right off" fish.
Still girly fish just bigger and often have current in their favor

Not a bad fight for a girly fish still but lots of hype from the cult following. Caught them in both northern and southern BC when I lived there
Old 02-24-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Still girly fish just bigger and often have current in their favor

Not a bad fight for a girly fish still but lots of hype from the cult following. Caught them in both northern and southern BC when I lived there
Alright. So what in your opinion would Alberta have to offer that doesn't fight like a "girly" fish.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:36 AM

I like them, because they live in my backyard. Got home after work as the evenings light disappeared. 5 fish in 7 casts. Who can complain about a willing fish like that.

I think they look amazing. They have quite a bit of attitude. They pattern well on the food and structure. They take flies readily. They hit lures. They feed well all winter. Bobber Down. Not a fan of eating them. The BC Pennask / Kamloops Rainbow Fight amazing and jump like 2-4 feet out of the water, it's insane for a freshwater fish. They grow super fast in fertile lakes.

Then again there isn't a fish that I don't love to catch.

Maybe next week I'll try for a Steelhead.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-25-2020, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Why does everyone here like rainbow trout? I’ve been wondering why people like them
Why do you dislike them?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Alright. So what in your opinion would Alberta have to offer that doesn't fight like a "girly" fish.
They are still a good fight but they fight no different then a rainbow of equal size. Becomes really clear that the only difference fight wise is the current when you catch steelhead it lakes. If you like rainbows you will love steelhead. All fish fight different and outside of rainbows you would be taking traits from different species to compare

It’s the fishing style, the lack of aggression, raised steelhead/rainbow hybrids for a living, caught too many steelhead/rainbows in my life and the cultish followers that I grew up around with these fish that turned me off.

I also don’t care for walleye fishing either so maybe I am strange

If fishing in BC I will take big northern coho over steelhead
Old 02-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Pound for pound Rainbows are great fighters. And as others already mentioned are great looking and can be good eating (from mountain lakes not from pothole's). I like catching most fish, Rainbows are near the top for me.

If you only fish prairie pothole lakes, in my opinion, you haven't experienced what Rainbow trout fishing can be. The Bow River, Lakes in the NP's, or BC's interior as examples really change the game of what Rainbow trout fishing is. Trolling willow leafs or chucking pickerel rigs not so much.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:38 PM

This is a good book if you are interested in Rainbow Trout and how they became so popular.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-25-2020, 05:40 PM

It's a combination of many things for me - hard fighting, sometimes challenging to catch, and the scenery in a lot of places they live.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:46 AM

I think a large part of the disdain towards rainbow trout stems from the insanely poor job done by the AB government managing the stocked fisheries. Overstocked, poor strain choices.

The wild self-sustaining populations throughout Alberta offer quality fishing and some are world-class. The stocked fisheries are quite miserable and if that's all the experience some have, I can understand why RBT are underwhelming to some.

MB, SK and BC are light years ahead in that department in terms of how they manage the carrying capacity/stocking density of their lakes.