Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Ice Thickness Now at most area?

Ice Thickness Now at most area? Thanks
Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 AM

It's mid February trucks are driving everywhere

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2020, 10:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinglover View Post
Ice Thickness Now at most area? Thanks
18" give or take a few depending where you are. -30 today so still making ice solid and then a nice forecast coming

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-18-2020, 10:47 AM

I hope the Lakers are in the mood tomorrow and Thursday. Going to be there 5 am to set up tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
I hope the Lakers are in the mood tomorrow and Thursday. Going to be there 5 am to set up tomorrow.
So how was it....I know the morning was cold but got nice in the afternoon

Hopefully the lakers get going.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So how was it....I know the morning was cold but got nice in the afternoon

Hopefully the lakers get going.
Slowwwwww unfortunately. Earlier in the morning it was so cold the braid was freezing itself to the spools. A few times when I was hole hoping my auger would just spin and not cut. The blades were incased in ice. She was cold. Later in the afternoon it warmed but the wind was still freezing. I ended up going through the tackle box trying different things. Finally got one on a cotton candy coloured tube. Cold or hot’ slow or crazy I always love a day on the lake. Sure beats going to work. If any one comes across a red rod holder in the marina area. My kid forgot it on the ice. Tight lines all
Old 02-20-2020, 07:31 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Slowwwwww unfortunately. Earlier in the morning it was so cold the braid was freezing itself to the spools. A few times when I was hole hoping my auger would just spin and not cut. The blades were incased in ice. She was cold. Later in the afternoon it warmed but the wind was still freezing. I ended up going through the tackle box trying different things. Finally got one on a cotton candy coloured tube. Cold or hot’ slow or crazy I always love a day on the lake. Sure beats going to work. If any one comes across a red rod holder in the marina area. My kid forgot it on the ice. Tight lines all
Ya I went out in -31 it was interesting but we drill...drop the electronics...have a looksy....then move....if needed...once we get a place we put up the tent....drill the holes and put the buddy heater in....seal her up and fish...the tent helps a lot -15 and warmer the holes don't freeze up inside but man open her up,to step out and the cold sucks the wind out of ya'

Oh yeah I still work the ol 8" hand auger so warm up pretty quick....I still enjoy that...yup a little crazy but I consider it good for ya

Warmer days ahead though...good luck.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:08 AM

I was out yesterday also. It was slow for us. We caught two and lost three. And yes it was crazy cold in the morning. We drilled a few holes set up the tent fished for a few hours. I then decided to set up the JawJacker . Grabbed the auger Pressed the Power button and all I got was a spinning auger that was going no where lol. I had to take the auger in the tent to thaw out the blades from all the ice. All in all a fun day. On another note. I decided in the afternoon to do a little hole hoping. I collected 14 water bottles , 8 pop cans and a pizza box (frozen to the ice) left on the lake. Im not saying its anyone on our forum. But come on guys pick up your garbage. Why ruin such a beautiful resource. Some of us drive six hours plus , just to enjoy Cold Lake.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
I was out yesterday also. It was slow for us. We caught two and lost three. And yes it was crazy cold in the morning. We drilled a few holes set up the tent fished for a few hours. I then decided to set up the JawJacker . Grabbed the auger Pressed the Power button and all I got was a spinning auger that was going no where lol. I had to take the auger in the tent to thaw out the blades from all the ice. All in all a fun day. On another note. I decided in the afternoon to do a little hole hoping. I collected 14 water bottles , 8 pop cans and a pizza box (frozen to the ice) left on the lake. Im not saying its anyone on our forum. But come on guys pick up your garbage. Why ruin such a beautiful resource. Some of us drive six hours plus , just to enjoy Cold Lake.
It just freaking drives me nuts bad enough people pollute on the land where do they think it goes on a lake

Old 02-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
It just freaking drives me nuts bad enough people pollute on the land where do they think it goes on a lake

horrible...should see the crap floating around in the summer after a long wk-end etc....jeepers.

I have picked up only cans so far that I have come across not too bad for garbage but I bet if you get closer to the PP or the marina you will get more crap.

thx to those that pick up after others much appreciated.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:49 AM

I will be out at the end of March for three days will be bringing a big garbage bag. I've read a few guys on Lake Winnipeg wait till after the fishing season and all the snow is melted ,and quad around the lake picking up garbage and all the other presents that they find which are quite a few I guess auger's hooks everything associated with ice fishing.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:

I'd take it one step further and say this... If they treat the lake like this, what are they doing to the fish they are catching?

Anyways... I was out this morning and it was fairly slow. Managed a burbot and a few lake trout.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
I'd take it one step further and say this... If they treat the lake like this, what are they doing to the fish they are catching?

Anyways... I was out this morning and it was fairly slow. Managed a burbot and a few lake trout.
Where were you at? depth? I am heading over to garnet area tomorrow shoot for 80-120' or so....

Old 02-20-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Where were you at? depth? I am heading over to garnet area tomorrow shoot for 80-120' or so....
I was out from the fish hatchery just under 60'. Good Luck !
Old 02-20-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
A little birdie told me today that garnet and beyond was awfully slow today, take it for what it is.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:50 PM

I heard it was hopping at the marina

Old 02-21-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I heard it was hopping at the marina

Was there on the wk-end and slow....slow at PP...slow at the ski hill...slow at garnet....slow...slow....but the weather is getting warmer....so maybe the bite might get hot

Old 02-21-2020, 09:27 AM

How deep is the snow there? I'm headed out there this weekend. Haven't picked a spot yet, but I'm planning on taking my quad.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
How deep is the snow there? I'm headed out there this weekend. Haven't picked a spot yet, but I'm planning on taking my quad.
Buddy battled with his quad there this week. But he was going way off grid. You're probably fine fishing where the masses fish, but could be a battle if you venture off course too far.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:42 AM

Snow has drifted a bit in areas, quads, side by sides and vehicles all doing ok...it's not that deep...snowing now though...

Was out yesterday in the sun....beauty day.....slow on the bite though.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:12 PM

Hey guys. How the fishing today? Hopefully its picked up.....
Old 02-23-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Hey guys. How the fishing today? Hopefully its picked up.....
I wasn't on Cold Lake myself today... but I can verify people are having a hard time catching lake trout.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:43 PM

Default Cold lake report 2020

Managed 21 lakers/burbot from friday night until 12pm today, ice was 21 inches in french, also watch for the big ice heave in french bay, 70 feet of water. Fishing has picked up.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
A little birdie told me today that garnet and beyond was awfully slow today, take it for what it is.
Saturday in 100' of water 6 came through the ice in about 40 minutes then dead...cold lake krusher tc moto with a two inch minnow tail on the stinger....fast retrievals and they hit hard.....a lot not even marked just came out of no where....today just two but we farted around casing when we should have hunkered down...oh well good time on the ice!

and good to see the fish cops out and about too...we had a few good laughs especially when I told them I was going to make a run for it but my buggered hip would slow me down and my parole officer said now that I am out I have to adhere to the guidelines set forth....

Old 02-23-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Saturday in 100' of water 6 came through the ice in about 40 minutes then dead...cold lake krusher tc moto with a two inch minnow tail on the stinger....fast retrievals and they hit hard.....a lot not even marked just came out of no where....today just two but we farted around casing when we should have hunkered down...oh well good time on the ice!

and good to see the fish cops out and about too...we had a few good laughs especially when I told them I was going to make a run for it but my buggered hip would slow me down and my parole officer said now that I am out I have to adhere to the guidelines set forth....
Good to hear you guys got on a few lots of slow reports I've been hearing cant wait to hit the ice next week pressures are looking good and them big girls gotta feed soon!
Old 02-23-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Good to hear you guys got on a few lots of slow reports I've been hearing cant wait to hit the ice next week pressures are looking good and them big girls gotta feed soon!
I'm jealous, weather is looking awesome for the next week but won't be heading up until the the 5th. I'm a little nervous as it seems there is only so much good weather during a good Alberta winter and lots of it has been eaten up already.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:09 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Had a triple header too...sort of....dead stick was placed about 15 yards away from buddy and I...we are about 10 yards apart...my line dips so I set and start reeling...his rod dips and he starts reeling and of course we are having a great time...my line moto comes up with line on it so I stop reeling...his rode goes limp...I pull line off and tell him I got him....his rod bends and he is back in action...up his moto comes with line on it...he unhooks it and then my dead stick flag goes up so I go over and start bringing that line in....it pulls out of his hand and yup...one nice laker picked up the fish off the bottom went back up and swam around our lines too....so the triple header turned into one

True story honest....

Old 02-24-2020, 07:24 AM

Anyone have any info on how conditions are on the north side? I’m heading up the 6,7,8. Are guys getting to the island or are there pressure ridges that can’t be crossed? I’ll be driving a 1/2 ton
Old 02-24-2020, 07:29 AM

Will be up sat, sun, mon, should be good .
Old 02-24-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
Anyone have any info on how conditions are on the north side? I’m heading up the 6,7,8. Are guys getting to the island or are there pressure ridges that can’t be crossed? I’ll be driving a 1/2 ton
spoke to the fish cops yesterday and people where up around the island...from what I can see with binos trucks are all over the lake. I know there are a few ruff spots but you can get around them.