Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2019, 09:55 PM

Thanks, Chuck. Raymond is out of reach to me. I did find quite a few places that sell Eezox online, but all are asking way too much for shipping ($20+ with one place asking for $63 to ship a 10-dollar product, lol). I did find CorrosionX though out in Calgary and also sold online with $4 shipping. If anyone is interested: https://www.carzilla.ca/rejex-canada...enetrant-16-oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You’ll only ever just control the rust, the surface condition is compromised. It’ll always be a problem area that you’ll always have to pay extra attention to. Unless you’re willing to invest into a re finish job.

Thank goodness it’s just a 10/22, and not a $2000 semi custom rig. Which is likely a small conciliation as it’s still something a guy used his hard earned cash to buy.

Learn from it, don’t store firearms in soft cases, and wipe things down before storing them.
Yep, it will rust quickly if not taken extra care of. I am just glad I decided to take it out and noticed it, though I was planning to clean it regardless. Interestingly, the area under the barrel ring is practically free of blu in some spots and is bear metal, yet no sign of rust whatsoever. On a side note, that plastic barrel ring is probably the ugliest thing I saw on a rifle.
Thanks for your replies, Dick.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thanks, Chuck. Raymond is out of reach to me. I did find quite a few places that sell Eezox online, but all are asking way too much for shipping ($20+ with one place asking for $63 to ship a 10-dollar product, lol). I did find CorrosionX though out in Calgary and also sold online with $4 shipping. If anyone is interested: https://www.carzilla.ca/rejex-canada...enetrant-16-oz

Yep, it will rust quickly if not taken extra care of. I am just glad I decided to take it out and noticed it, though I was planning to clean it regardless. Interestingly, the area under the barrel ring is practically free of blu in some spots and is bear metal, yet no sign of rust whatsoever. On a side note, that plastic barrel ring is probably the ugliest thing I saw on a rifle.
P&D Enterprises carries Eezox.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-18-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Thanks! I’m running low.

I generally use corrosion x on the outside and Eezox in the bore and bolt internals.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-31-2019, 12:01 AM

^ Glad I could help, Chuck.

Wanted to say that I ordered a can and they shipped it the next day and I had in my hands four days later, given that two of the four were holidays. Seems like a good shop to place an order with if someone is looking for this product.

Thanks for tip, Dick. I will drop by there next time I am in Edmonton.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
P&D Enterprises carries Eezox.
Stopped at P&D today, they didn’t have it. Bought me some rings I needed though.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:36 PM

Been using Corrosionx for a few years and reasonably happy with it's performance.

Anyone else notice a strong grease like smell develop after a few days of application?
Has me wondering if game can sniff it out easily.

Chuck - do you notice if Eezox has the same strong smell?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2020, 05:50 PM

I haven’t, no.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-20-2020, 06:50 PM

FWIW, if you’re gonna touch up some bluing, the G96 Gun Blue paste way outperforms anything else I’ve tried. Highly recommend.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Banned

I try my best to stay away from any chemical products so I tend to use all natural if possible. I find just plain old vinegar works very well for rust spots. Several years back I found a cool old knife about 6klms south of sufler falls and it was very rusty so I through it in vinegar for a couple of days and had amazing results!

A person could always use a Q-tip and apply it to the spot repeatedly. If the metal is real oxidized the lumps should be removed or it will rust again, maybe a real fine wet emery cloth wrapped around a 3/16 drill bit then using it by hand to carefully rub the tiny spot out. I have heard good things about this chemical blueing method and I would certainly recommend some form of it as the blueing prevents corrosion as we all know.

Rust is my nemesis
Old 03-09-2020, 03:27 PM

If you had to reblue the gun who would you recommend.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Didn't read all the messages, maybe some one mentioned it. I was shown a tip I used with success in the field where I didn't have access to supplies. I did have a little bit of oil and pocket change. Use a penny to rub out the rust then apply oil to protect it until a proper repair. The penny is softer than steel and won't wreck the bluing. It worked great.

Since then I've purchase copper wool pads and they work great to remove surface rust. As far a repair I just kept the firearm oiled and called it good, but that is your call.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:53 PM

Try some Boeshield T9. Boeing use it all the electrical connections and terminals on their aircraft for corrosion protection.
I use it on all my guns and find it superb. It is not a lubricant and I found it safe on all types of finishes.

Available at Lee Valley
Old 03-12-2020, 06:41 PM

Default Fluid film

This product is available at Canadian Tire, I liberally lubricate all metal parts on my guns with this, then put them away for storage. After 6months to a year, I take them out clean them up, relube them and put them away again, no rust problems.