Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Default Filled an antlerless tag tonight!

Well, this year I have acquired a new area to hunt that is only 15 minutes from home. So today after work I booted out there in hopes to fill one of my 2 antlerless tags! I had only till 5:21, which was the end of legal light in my area! I got there about 4:10 so I quickly got my rifle ready, and threw the backpack on and headed in! As I was coming thru the gate I heard what sounded like a grouse running through the bush to the east of me, on the neighboring property!

I continued on my way down the road on the property I was hunting, I walked about 50 yards and figured I would stop and pee before I got too far into the area. As I was finishing my pee I hear a rustle, look up in front of me and see a deer running up the hill! In one swoop I pulled the rifle off the shoulder, and had it ready! Saw there was no antlers, and put the crosshairs on the chest and squeezed it off! Deer went stumbling down the hill toward the other property, so I reloaded and got ready to pop it before it crossed the fence! But it changed course and went down behind the hill!

Right away I got on the trail. Went up to where it was standing and saw there was fur and blood! Picked up the trail and started following the blood. My hunting buddy showed up and we continued tracking, about 50 yards from impact we lost blood for about 10 yards. Then when it picked up again it was steady right to the deer! To my disappointment we realized it was a button buck! Not exactly what I was looking for body wise, but it still counts as 1! I couldn't believe how fast it all happened! We found the deer by 4:40. So I slapped my tag on it, and we kept hunting till the end of legal light! My buddy had a shot at another doe, but he missed!! Was a great night! Fastest kill I've made! All that shooting this year paid off! Was like second nature to shoulder the rifle and squeeze it off!! Tenderloins are already marinating! Gonna be tasty!

Sorry I don't have pics! I'm a little embarrased at the size of this deer, so I didn't take any! I should have though, cause in my mind....they're all trophies!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 PM

Congrats!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 PM

Just draw us a picture of it. kidding.

Good hunting!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM

Congrats ..

Any animal your proud of is a trophy
Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM

I'm happy to have made a quick kill! And recovered the animal! I would have been happier had it been bigger! But it is still going to make some great hamburger! And some nice little steaks!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Congrats ..

Any animal your proud of is a trophy
X2
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 AM

Congratulations! I have a quick question though, did you get zipped up before taking the shot?

"As I was finishing my pee I hear a rustle, look up in front of me and see a deer running up the hill! In one swoop I pulled the rifle off the shoulder, and had it ready! Saw there was no antlers, and put the crosshairs on the chest and squeezed it off!"
Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrmek View Post
Congratulations! I have a quick question though, did you get zipped up before taking the shot?

"As I was finishing my pee I hear a rustle, look up in front of me and see a deer running up the hill! In one swoop I pulled the rifle off the shoulder, and had it ready! Saw there was no antlers, and put the crosshairs on the chest and squeezed it off!"
....too funny....

I was thinking the same thing.....

Nice work K sounds like it was a good night to get out.

LC
Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM

No, for the guys who asked. I did not zip up before I took the shot, barely had time to tuck it back in the pants! I didn't do my zipper up till my buddy showed up 10 minutes later, when I finally realized that it was still down! This is by far my funniest hunting story yet! Only thing that can top it now is to shoot one while dropping a deuce, with pants around the ankles and everything!