Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Looking to learn

Hey there,

I’m starting to build some interest in possibly starting to trap coyotes, I know a trappers course is required but prior to doing that I plan on doing some research and learning so I’m not totally clueless.

I don’t have any first hand mentors to show me the ropes so I’m looking for some good recommendations for websites, videos or books I can use to learn a little.

Thanks guys. Hope you’re all having a good season thus far.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Banned

If you’re near Morinville you are welcome to drop by the skinning shack.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If you’re near Morinville you are welcome to drop by the skinning shack.
More so in the leduc/Southwest Edmonton area. Really appreciate the offer, I read lots of your posts and you definitely know your stuff.

Do you usually do all the work from trapping, all the proccessing and then shipping the fur to auction? I’ve been reading and if I’m not mistaken do the majority of trappers in Alberta hire out skinning, and fur processing services and then send furs for auction.

Last edited by Skoaltender; 12-11-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

I’m retired and trap full time so I have the luxury of the time to put up my own fur. Most guys have real jobs and many don’t have time to put up their own fur so they hire someone to do it for them. Yes, I do everything on my own from start to finish.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
More so in the leduc/Southwest Edmonton area. Really appreciate the offer, I read lots of your posts and you definitely know your stuff.

Do you usually do all the work from trapping, all the processing and then shipping the fur to auction? I’ve been reading and if I’m not mistaken do the majority of trappers in Alberta hire out skinning, and fur processing services and then send furs for auction.
All of the trappers I know do everything except construct steel traps.
There have been occasions where a local trapper will recruit or even pay someone to help if they have more catch then they can process themselves, but that is rare here.

We build our own snares, scents and stretchers, and gather our own baits.
We make the sets, check and retrieve, skin and dry all our own hides.

Some like myself even do our own tanning although I cheat some in that department in that I buy my tanning solution. Some of the trappers I know do it old school with brain tan and the like.

And everyone I know markets their own fur, mostly to auction houses.

I've been out of it for over ten years now and I hear that some of the younger guys do farm out as much of the fur processing as possible, but the guys I grew up with wouldn't even consider doing that.

It leaves too much opportunity for fraud and theft not to mention shoddy work.

It also cuts into a trappers profits. Only close friends will work for nothing.
Labor costs can eat up any profit in an already low profit business.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2018, 03:23 PM

As for farming out the fur handling I would suggest a guy learn how and get proficient at it before farming it out. You then can determine a good job from a poor one. Also if your "skinner" is not the most trust worthy you don't have to put up with his shenanigans. It's very difficult to find a trustworthy Skinner for an industry average price that can do a good fur handling job. Kinda like if you want something done right you do it yourself.

Good luck.
Bill