Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 PM

Default Do fishing tackle or equipment ever increase in value

Does fishing tackle and equipment ever increase in value from rare factor or does it only decrease. I have some things I've collected from years ago. Brand new unused bait caster that I purchased in japan for about 650 usd at the time(2011 model 7.1:1 and 11+1bb). I notice them online used for about 350 usd or no longer for sale.

Also some lures which I purchased for on average 10usd to 20usd each. Will it depreciate or increase in value the older it gets.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-09-2018, 12:52 PM

In an anqitue sense I would say not really. There are probably the odd collectors but anything of value is probably prettty rare, multiple decades old and in great shape to be any value and even then probably minimal appreciation.

About the only way fishing gear goes up in value is when our dollar value drops like it did in recent years. I sold a lot of my gear for more then I paid for it thanks to new prices being 25+% higher now and buying a lot of my gear on sale.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Hand made plugs and spoons, unusual stuff, hand made rods might increase in value if you can find a collector. The rest, not very likely except as RV said, dollar drops and you bought stuff for a real good price. Most modern, mass produced, fishing stuff, if you can get half your money back you are doing real well.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:04 PM

There is collectors all over the world but I know little about it other then some old stuff is worth $ along with custom lures

Google what you have and see what it’s worth
Old 12-09-2018, 01:15 PM

I follow this site to see what old hooks and tackle to watch for and their values.
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/fis...rview/auctions

Newer equipment might have more monetary value to someone's great grandson 80 years from now. Probably greater sentimental value then.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Well that's too bad, might aswell open this stuff up and use it lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-09-2018, 01:32 PM

There are collectors of just about anything that will pay a premium price for something specific they want to fill out their collection. But good luck finding that specific person who wants a specific item you have at the time you are willing to sell it. It may be listed on a website that item X is worth $100 because that's what a collector paid for one once, but if no-one else is looking for it then its true value is close to zero.

You could try something like ebay to see if there is interest, but most old fishing equipment, even new and in the original package, is probably given away to someone younger or ends up in a garage sale after you are gone.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post
Well that's too bad, might aswell open this stuff up and use it lol

Do some research before using them. Maybe the value is worth more in places like Japan or where there is lots of bass tournaments.
Looking online at the brand MegaBass they do see pretty popular even though they are expensive. Some unused model may hold or increase in value. I noticed one tackle shop in Japan is sold out of many models.

Takes 21 or so years old to be considered vintage.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 AM

Garcia Ambassadeur baitcasters seem to be pretty popular to collectors as well as a few other brands. Has to be pretty rare to be valuable in most cases.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 AM

I can think of a few discontinued crankbaits that the originals will sell for 2-3X or more than their original price, but other than that, I don't think fishing tackle will ever be a good "investment", at least not from a financial perspective.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM

The value in fishing tackle lays in the catches, the expeditions, the stories and the comradeship. Not in reselling it.

Enjoy it for what it's worth.