Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteguy View Post
any Big Mulies taken this yr at Camp ? , also whats the Biggest Whitetail taken so far ?

I thunk the biggest wt was a really heavy 190 class cranker with junk all over
Old 12-09-2018, 07:35 AM

I seen an absolute Monster in the Permanent Danger Zone along white, tough to tell from 400+ Yards away, but it looked like a Book Mulie to me. Saw some other really nice ones, But along the Border of C1 & C2 which were closed the whole first Hunt. Probably 180+.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 AM

Ok another question which would be the best season to go thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Ok another question which would be the best season to go thanks

Either primitive weapons of 1st rifle
Old 12-09-2018, 09:02 AM

Were there still closures on saturday?
Old 12-09-2018, 12:34 PM

I am not sure how to copy and paste. But to answer your question Addicted. I am from Alberta so my wife and I draw tags. The other hunters are from Saskatchewan but have special privilege over the tax paying people of Canada. Hope this helps
Old 12-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I am not sure how to copy and paste. But to answer your question Addicted. I am from Alberta so my wife and I draw tags. The other hunters are from Saskatchewan but have special privilege over the tax paying people of Canada. Hope this helps
these other people dont pay taxes? How can i get a deal like that.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I get what your putting down.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
these other people dont pay taxes? How can i get a deal like that.
Born treaty I think...
Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm a priority 13 or something what's the odds of seeing a 170+mule deer out there lately thanks

Probably under 5% of hunters see a over 170” mulie in an open area. I’d guess probably 2 or 3 in that class of animal get taken per hunt which is 100 hunters. Go with primitive weapon season for best chance.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:35 PM

anyone know whats the average # of hunters per hunt ?anyone posting pics of
animals seen or harvested ?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I thought Saskatchewan had sales tax?
Old 12-09-2018, 09:23 PM

Soooo just a heads up for those who dont have a clue. If you are treaty Indian and live on a reserve you pay no taxes.....and if you live in Saskatchewan then you dont pay Alberta income tax for sure....
No wonder our governments are so screwed up. Look at the people voting.
On a positive note I cant wait to go back to the base and hunt next year. Thanks to the base biologists, fish and wildlife officers and range control guys.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-09-2018, 09:39 PM

While sitting here mere miles from the base in the hotel anticipating a good few days of hunting opportunity and a chance to put some extra meat into the feeezer , I can’t help but think I have wasted alot of time and a bunch of cash I’m getting so much negative out of all 3 threads that makes this hunt look like a full on native hunt and less than parr trophy hunt let
Alone a good experience at all . Wtf is the deal ..
Old 12-09-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
While sitting here mere miles from the base in the hotel anticipating a good few days of hunting opportunity and a chance to put some extra meat into the feeezer , I can’t help but think I have wasted alot of time and a bunch of cash I’m getting so much negative out of all 3 threads that makes this hunt look like a full on native hunt and less than parr trophy hunt let
All of AB is a full on native hunt 365 days a years. Have to do your best and bang away at it.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 PM

There is some negatives for sure. There were moose hunters from Cambel River B.C. On Friday!! Range control mentioned next year they will be implementing like suffield does a limit on native hunters. Good thing.
They are doing it for safety reasons as then there are only so many shooters on the base at anytime.
But though my hunt did not turn out very well. It can be a great time.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Ignore 99% of the BS you’ve heard about Wainwright. Our group just got back from rifle hunt #2 and as first-timers we were incredibly happy and impressed with the whole thing.
All staff were awesome.
All but a couple hunters were awesome. (A couple tools that felt the need to drive like morons)
We saw a ton of animals, and took home a solid mule buck and doe.

Can’t wait to go back.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
It’s a fun hunt. If you’re expecting a trophy deer hunt you’ll be disappointed though. It is a herd control hunt. 150 registered deer hunters per hunt for 5 hunts plus FN hunters. Yes there are trophy animals just like anywhere else. Some folks will get lucky just like anywhere else.

To expect trophy mule deer around every corner is unrealistic. There are 750 licensed deer hunters per year on the base whereas most WMUs have fewer than 200 antlered mule deer tags given out a year and lots with under 100 tags a year.

If you’re expecting a trophy hunt, you will be dissapointed. If you’re there for a fun experience with an opportunity to maybe get a trophy while enjoying a true hunt and experiencing some new terrain, good luck to you and hopefully you enjoy yourself.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Was at primitive weapons and first rifle for deer this year. No reason to complain as game was all over just had to work for it and get a bit lucky on timing. A real privilege to have access to that much land to enjoy. We had two chances at big deer that didn’t work out and lots of opportunities for meat. Really no different than hunting anywhere else on public land, always someone else just around the corner😊
Old 12-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Banned

not my biggest deer but i had an absolute blast out there this year!

i probably saw about 100 bucks and 200+ deer
Old 12-10-2018, 04:14 PM

great buck congrats!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Nice one.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM

nice , Congrats
Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Congrats fish e o!! Great buck!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenn96 View Post
I seen an absolute Monster in the Permanent Danger Zone along white, tough to tell from 400+ Yards away, but it looked like a Book Mulie to me. Saw some other really nice ones, But along the Border of C1 & C2 which were closed the whole first Hunt. Probably 180+.
Did it look like this one? We stopped and watched it for 10 min chase a doe around
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM

I was there for rifle 2, hats off to everyone who ran it. Excellent job. I hiked the walk in only section in the northwest corner of the base and much of the Battle River Valley. In two days I covered probably close to 15 km of the area that hadn't been accessed by trucks. Unfortunately in all that I saw almost no deer (only a m deer doe & fawn) which shocked me. I'm a foot only hunter so I thought this strategy would have worked but I guess the annex would have been a better location in hindsight.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 PM

Well the first day was not bad at all ,my son took a small horned big body whitey buck and I took a medium mule buck that was bedded because someone shot off his rear foot not so long ago .
Good meat deer hopefully , we seen around 20 or so deer though no Hoggs’, I am surprised with the lack of cover and so much active sign there aren’t more taken
There were a few moose taken and yes there Saskatchewan plates
So far it’s a great time and awesome topography and land to hunt if you are ok to drive and occasionally stroll a revive or high ridge to look for you game of choice ,
I’m not sure about the post boasting 200 deer herd etc , never came across this scenario at all !
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner Man View Post
Did it look like this one? We stopped and watched it for 10 min chase a doe around
Saw that Big guy off of white just after noon on the 5th
Old 12-11-2018, 05:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well the first day was not bad at all ,my son took a small horned big body whitey buck and I took a medium mule buck that was bedded because someone shot off his rear foot not so long ago .
Good meat deer hopefully , we seen around 20 or so deer though no Hoggs’, I am surprised with the lack of cover and so much active sign there aren’t more taken
There were a few moose taken and yes there Saskatchewan plates
So far it’s a great time and awesome topography and land to hunt if you are ok to drive and occasionally stroll a revive or high ridge to look for you game of choice ,
I’m not sure about the post boasting 200 deer herd etc , never came across this scenario at all !
The herd of 200 were elk. First day of the first season and I was the first one on the base. No one else would have seen this. I’m sure they were broken up after that
Old 12-11-2018, 05:22 PM

I though Saskatchewan had sales tax?