Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 06:01 PM

Default 17 calibers

I'm looking for a nice coyote hunting caliber, i was considering either a 17wsm in the Bmag target or a 17 hornet in a model 25 thumbhole. any info is appreciated.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:20 PM

The 17 hornet is ballistically superior, and if you reload, ammunition is cheaper, and you can develop an optimum load for the rifle. I own the 17mach2, 17hmr, 17 hornet, and the 17 fireball. The fireball is the best choice for coyotes, but rifles are more expensive, and ammunition/components are harder to find that with the 17 hornet. In all honesty, I would choose the CZ527 in 17 hornet , as the Savage model 25 has had some quality issues.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 PM

I Cannot talk as elkhunter says, I have the 17 wsm and I love it,have I lost a coyote or two ,because of small caliber ,,,yes but I have lost some to with a 243 cal,,,yes

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 PM

I like the Savage Model 25 in 17 Hornet. I have one and its a shooter.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Had a 17 hornet for a while, was a savage.
If i were to do it again it would be a CZ and would avoid the savage 25.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM

I would choose one of the larger case based 17 caliber. 17 Fireball or 17 Remington and 25 gr bullets
Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 PM

I am shooting 25 gr. bullets out of my .17 hornet....love it. CZ is the only way to go.

Factory rounds are nearly as accurate as reloads and a whole lot less work.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I am shooting 25 gr. bullets out of my .17 hornet....love it. CZ is the only way to go.

Factory rounds are nearly as accurate as reloads and a whole lot less work.
^I recently bought a 527 Varmint in 17H...but can't find that ammo to try. I am rounding up everything I need to hand load just in case...but if it likes factory ammo...that could be interesting.

I avoided 17H for a long time because I couldn't bring myself to buy a Savage 25 and didn't' want to spend the CZ $. Beautiful gun (I've yet to shoot)...but feels like it was worth the wait.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
^I recently bought a 527 Varmint in 17H...but can't find that ammo to try. I am rounding up everything I need to hand load just in case...but if it likes factory ammo...that could be interesting.

I avoided 17H for a long time because I couldn't bring myself to buy a Savage 25 and didn't' want to spend the CZ $. Beautiful gun (I've yet to shoot)...but feels like it was worth the wait.
Go into Cabela's order the ammo, they will have as much as you want in 2 weeks. I bought a bunch and it shoots great. Was cheaper to buy loaded ammo than the empty brass.

For yotes I would use the 17 FB or the 17 Rem, because I have them, and that is what I would buy if I were intending it to be primarily a yote gun. Stick to the CZ, much better gun, not a lot more money.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 PM

I've shot about 10 yotes with the CZ american 17 Hornet. It's had no trouble killing them. The 20 gr vmax work well for me...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Save your pennies and buy the CZ then do your self a favor and buy a single shot follower from James Calhoon in Montana ...About $100 CND..... and never look back....
Old 12-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Save your pennies and buy the CZ then do your self a favor and buy a single shot follower from James Calhoon in Montana ...About $100 CND..... and never look back....
^reread what I said...I did buy one. I've yet to shoot the thing though, as I trusted my LGS to get my rings in a timely manner. I guess the word "timely" is open to interpretation, as that was 4 weeks ago. lol

Anyhow, I'm super-stoked about shooting it and BOY is it a pretty rifle. I dig those single-shot adapters from JC, just not sure I have a reason to buy one. I did spring for a spare mag for the rifle ($85) but honestly don't even think I needed it. I was thinking I would be glad I had it if the rifle ever made it west for gophers.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
^reread what I said...I did buy one. I've yet to shoot the thing though, as I trusted my LGS to get my rings in a timely manner. I guess the word "timely" is open to interpretation, as that was 4 weeks ago. lol

Anyhow, I'm super-stoked about shooting it and BOY is it a pretty rifle. I dig those single-shot adapters from JC, just not sure I have a reason to buy one. I did spring for a spare mag for the rifle ($85) but honestly don't even think I needed it. I was thinking I would be glad I had it if the rifle ever made it west for gophers.
I had some issues with the rims jumping over the round below the top one and causing jams out in the field...so I went the single follower route...James single shoot follower is made from a solid billet of steel and very nice..there are others but they are mad from polymers..I am sure they work just fine as well...

P.S. if you do get a jammed up a mag ..be sure to close your truck window when you disassemble the mag......ask me how I know.....
Old 12-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Good advice, thanks! Did you order directly from JC, or through a dealer here in Canada?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 PM

I went to his house but I am sure he would ship them to you.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 AM

I would definitely go with a 17 hornet. Balistically superior with more knock down and bullet choices. If you can find a 17 fireball or 17 rem, they are even better. As for a savage model 25, I have one in 223 and I'd never own another one. Spend the money and get a CZ!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
P.S. if you do get a jammed up a mag ..be sure to close your truck window when you disassemble the mag......ask me how I know.....

I presume the same reason you don’t take small things apart around an open sink...
Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM

For serious coyote hunting,neither the 17 Wsm or 17 Hornet have the jam to get it done 100% of the time.Yes they will kill but they will cost you coyotes if you use them long enough.A 17 does not become a serious contender until you shoot a minimum of 25 grains at a minimum of 3700 fps.When you push a 30 grain 17 cal over 4000 fps,the magic starts happening.Coyotes go bang,flop with no exit and they "slosh"when you pick them up.A 17 Fireball would be the minimum that I would consider and I much prefer the 17 Predator,17 Rem,17-.223 Ackley improved with my favourite of all being a .17 PPC. 17 cals are addicting so be careful
have fun with your quest!!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
For serious coyote hunting,neither the 17 Wsm or 17 Hornet have the jam to get it done 100% of the time.Yes they will kill but they will cost you coyotes if you use them long enough.A 17 does not become a serious contender until you shoot a minimum of 25 grains at a minimum of 3700 fps.When you push a 30 grain 17 cal over 4000 fps,the magic starts happening.Coyotes go bang,flop with no exit and they "slosh"when you pick them up.A 17 Fireball would be the minimum that I would consider and I much prefer the 17 Predator,17 Rem,17-.223 Ackley improved with my favourite of all being a .17 PPC. 17 cals are addicting so be careful
I have no coyote-shooting aspirations myself, but, having seen how poor a job 17HMR does on even Groundhogs here in S.Ontario...I'm almost reluctant to shoot 17 Hornet at one!

Almost.

Hornet and HMR are different animals, so I'll get over it. Should be enough punch to let the air out of one of those out to about 200 yards I'd think. Just got a note that my rings and powder funnel are in...so I hope to finally get this rifle out for it's first shoot. Or try to. Winter is finally here.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
Spot on. This is also why the 20 calibers like 204, 20 Extreme etc. are such popular yote guns. Lots of speed, flat, limited drift and no exit holes.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I presume the same reason you don’t take small things apart around an open sink...
One and the same...