Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 PM

Default Anyone using a Huskemaw scope

Just looking for some info from hunters using the Huskemaw scope and what they think of it. I am mounting one to my 300 RUM
http://www.longrangestore.com/product_p/1000.htm

then click on optics

Last edited by Yukon 1; 03-07-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM

I'm assumin if you've decided to go ahead with it you've heard a lot of good reviews already?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 AM

Haven't heard much about them other than what I've seen on tv. Watched that Davidson fella DUMP an elk at 890 the other night (we need more smilies so you can actually express myself!!!)

Stinkin unbelievable!!!!!!

tm
Old 03-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Gone Hunting

I've hunted with others from the NE US that used these and yes they have also done the long distance thing from time to time. Scopes seem to work well.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 AM

There are very few reviews online.From reading the few that there are,the scopes seem to be okay mechanically,but the lenses are not great,especially for the price.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 AM

I think they are pretty spendy for optics made in China. I saw the exact same scopes offered by a Chinese firm at the SHOT show this year. I asked if these were Huskemaw clones, he said no they were Huskemaw but with a different name on them, and if I bought enough they could brand them with my company name.
The 1s I have seen were not what I would call crystal clear like some of the other scopes in that $$ area. My other concern would be warranty, the 1 and only outfit that is hypeing the crap out of them as the best thing since gunpowder is also the only 1 flogging them as far as I can find. Should they cease to exist, which in todays economy is a possibilty for any company, even G.M. you could be pooched.
Personally they don't hold a candle to a higher end Leupold or any of the Nightforce line. For less $$ you could get a Bushnell 6500 and have the same or better quality but known warranty.
All these ballistics compensating dials, not just the huskemaw, can not take into account the day to day changes in temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and elevation, that all can and do change , these factors all change the bullets trajectory daily, and by the minute in some cases, so I am at a loss as to how anyone would take them seriously.
Having seen some of the assorted LR hunting video clips there is ALOT more going on than the dude just taking a long shot, it is just NOT that simple to kill game ethically at real long range. The wonderful part of TV shows is called editing and when you screw up something that you really do not want to air, you edit it out so all you see is the hero making a perfect shot everytime. THAT is called marketing.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 03-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Default huskamaw scope

well said alberta tactical rifle. i also considered buying the scope but was scared of the warranty fact. It would be nice if someone like your self could build a similar scope with the ballistic drop compensation matched to a customers rifle. i would much rather support the local guys.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM

I would have a hard time buying ANYTHING that was endorsed by a TV show on the premise that it is the equipment that was responsible for the job!
Cat
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 PM

If I am going to pay a premium price,I will stick with premium brands such as Zeiss,Swarovski ,Schmidt & Bender or Nightforce.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I am going to pay a premium price,I will stick with premium brands such as Zeiss,Swarovski ,Schmidt & Bender or Nightforce.
Amen to that.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 09-19-2009, 05:52 PM

I guess there's a new review on that scope. Sounds pretty good.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...e-review-1.php
Old 09-19-2009, 06:28 PM

I forgot to mention I saw one of the Huskemaw scopes up close and it says it is made in Japan. That has to be true because they would pay a HUGE fine to US customs if they imported them from China and then as they went through US customs the Japan word was there.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:35 PM

Japan actually makes some of the better glass out there and supplies to a lot of the top scope manufacturers out there. for more info on the huskemaw you can check Best in the West.net. They have a forum that is basically only long range shooting and talk about any and all scopes.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM

If your simply looking for the "speed dial" type turret for you scope, marked in increments of yardage, you can go to kenton industries, they make turrets for most scopes out there (of course you supply the ballistic data) and you will have your NF, Leupold, or whatever, with the same "technology" as the huskemaw, but in a scope with known quality and warranty.
I think Stinky Coyote has one of these....
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Leupold will do the same thing, if you send em yer rifle and load info ,and they have an ofice in alberta
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM

This is an old thread but figured now that some time has past and the blue diamond series has come out (which is supposed to be quite a bit better optically) does anyone have any first hand experience with them.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are very few reviews online.From reading the few that there are,the scopes seem to be okay mechanically,but the lenses are not great,especially for the price.
I bought one... Took it home and compared to my Kahles and one Burris scope. In low light it was worse than the Burris and not even in the same league as kahles. Concept is great but glass is brutal. Took it back.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks Remmy300,
Was that the original model or one of the blue diamond series?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM

I have a blue diamond on my 7mm and I have a couple of buddies that have them on their 30-378's but this is my first season. All that I have done is zero in at 200yds.
The friend that had his set up last year is super excited about is with 2 successful tests. A coyote at 630 yards(he admits there was some luck but he is 1 for 1) and an elk at 760 yds.
Call that what you may but so far so good.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks heretohunt,
What would you compare the blue diamond to optically in your opinion?
Ie: leupold,bushnell etc....
Also did you get yours at Corlanes and how hard was it to set up and collect data for the turret?
Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM

When I first purchased my Huskemaw I took it to my gunsmith. A well known local fella. He had not heard of it but was quite impressed with the optics and overall quality.
I have now had it for 5-6 years. Works well and have shot several animals at longer ranges. My buddy wasn't a believer until he saw it in action. I have however spent many hours at the range getting to know my rifle so that I could be confident shooting longer distances.
So in short I enjoy shooting with my Huskemaw and have had zero negative issues.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbore375 View Post
Thanks heretohunt,
What would you compare the blue diamond to optically in your opinion?
Ie: leupold,bushnell etc....
Also did you get yours at Corlanes and how hard was it to set up and collect data for the turret?
Thanks
My scope was ordered from corlanes. It was much like any scope that we have set up. I am not the knowledgeable one about set up though. As far as glass quality goes I haven't compared side by side with a similar scope. There are a few factors for sure though. When the light fades or you are shooting towards the sun 20x isn't very good though it is awsome for sighting it in in good daylight. Even though I can't say I've done a glass quality compare I probably don't put rifle scope glass quality all that high on my priority list. I have Swaro binoculars and spotting scopes. From what I've seen the quality is there though.
One of my friends that took the two long range animals last year sent his 30-378 in to be set up by them and as you may have guessed he is pleased.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate all the info
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbore375 View Post
Thanks Remmy300,
Was that the original model or one of the blue diamond series?
Bigbore...it was the Blue Diamond Series. for hunting antelope in mid day...awesome. I have no doubt of the mechanics of the scope. It was seriously like looking down a mcdonalds straw with a couple threads strung through it. Maybe not that bad but i sure would not risk having a big animal stepping out just around legal light and not being able to see it. I lost the cross hairs against the spruce way before legal light ended. Both my Kahles and Burris i could see fine. I think I am going to take a look at the G7 / night force model and see what it looks like in low light.

Last edited by remmy300; 10-17-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Nope, and I avoid mopeds too.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM

rem338win,
Does that mean you have had one and don't like it or is that just your opinion?

Other then that thanks guys I appreciate the info.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM

WoW!! Thats all i can say.. i retail them and have 4 on my personal rifles and alot of my friends are useing them..
1- Warrenty is over counter
2- glass is awsome at all light conditions
3- most scopes are made in china FYI
4- if you have never shot one your missing out
5- I WILL NOT GET DRAWN INTO AN ARGUEMENT ON THIS AGAIN!!!

Any doubt come to whitecourt and ill let you shoot one of my rifles with a blue diamond on it..

Thats all..
Rob
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
most scopes are made in china FYI
Maybe the ones that you own or that you sell, but not one of my scopes was made in China.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Most of the 'offshore' rifle glass I'be seen is from the Phillipines rather than China, but then I've not looked at the really cheaper stuff.......
Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM

I've got one of the older one's . It's clearly marked made in Japan.
Glass leaves something to be desired, mechanically its pretty good!