Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
Just a reminder, make sure the quantity you got is correct/sufficent.

Several weeks ago, I bought some bullets from a local small store. I always prefer to buy locally because i want to keep my money in Alberta. The seller counted them so quickly that I can't even see if it's correctly counted. I had to count again when I got home. As you may guess, it's ten percent short. He may not do it on purpose, I believe it's not, but I do deserve to get what I paid! Enough said.

No defense, no other meaning, just a reminder to all buyers.

Random Projectile Decimation?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Always like going to Sportsman's den in Red Deer, Good staff, good service and if you need it, they likely have it. Wolverine I avoid.

Grizz
I have had the exact opposite experience. I have been treated poorly everytime i have shopped at the sportmens den. They are just there. The wife also complains when I send her in there too. They have never been helpful and always judgemental about my firearm preferences.

I love shopping at wolverines. The guys there are always helpful, will order in any rifle they dont have in stock, and are actually excited to help you spend your hard earned cash there. They dont treat me like a burden to their day.

On a more rural note, I love the Bashaw Sports Center. They have a huge selection and nothing but helpful friendly service.

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-19-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Consider yourself lucky. Back in the day before the big box stores appeared, the street were P&D is used to be the hub for all but maybe 3 gun stores in Edmonton. The 3 others were Wolfs, Trail and Phoenix if I recall correctly. These were the crappy days before the innerwebs opened up the magic of online shopping.
I'd trade the inter web to have Trail back with Bobby at the helm
Old 05-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadRain View Post
I have had the exact opposite experience. I have been treated poorly everytime i have shopped at the sportmens den. They are just @$$holes there. The wife also complains when I send her in there too. They have never been helpful and always judgemental about my firearm preferences.

I love shopping at wolverines. The guys there are always helpful, will order in any rifle they dont have in stock, and are actually excited to help you spend your hard earned cash there. They dont treat me like a burden to their day.

On a more rural note, I love the Bashaw Sports Center. They have a huge selection and nothing but helpful friendly service.
I only get in to Sportsman's Den about once every year or two.

Every time that I've gone in, the layout of the store seems completely changed.

Nothing bad to say about them, though a year ago I did encounter one guy at the gun counter who was trashing the store owner, in conversation with his partner behind the counter.

I could not believe that any employee would to do this at all, let alone in the presence of a customer.

But, I did like their assortment of guns, and I was treated with respect.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Default Prophet River

We must give a shout-out for Prophet River today! I ordered a couple of boxes of LAPUA brass Sunday evening and they arrived at my door just after lunch. Wow! That's excellent service.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Default Swampdonkey

Was out in Alberta visiting and had my first experience with swamp donkey outdoors near Spruce Grove this summer. I have nothing but good to say, his prices were worth the drive and better yet he had what I needed which was a nice change from the big box stores. Business aside he was just a great guy to talk with.
PS Nice to see all the shout outs to the local businesses and that the thread has stayed positive
Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 PM

Another vote for the Shootist...
Old 09-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Banned

Being from the High River area, it goes without saying that Fly's Etc. is my go to shop. It isn't merely because of the convenience of close proximity. The staff and owner are friendly. They are as well stocked as anyone else if not better. If they don't have it, they certainly try their best to get it and usually do in short order. When in the big city, I don't even bother to go into Bass Pro, never been to Cabella, nor do I plan on it.....no reason to. I do like to visit Pro Line shooters from time to time but in essence prefer to support our local High River shop.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM

They're a few hours from me but my last browning shotgun purchase was with bashaw, and not only where they great to deal with, but they beat cabelas by several hundred. You can't improve on that.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:48 PM

when it comes to actual small town shops my favorite gunsmith/retailer is Roy at R&T Firearms in Warburg, he can find almost anything and knows about the most obscure firearms I've ever found, I always enjoy walking in and being greeted by name, him and Bob are class acts and every time I try to make a quick visit it seems to turn into a afternoon and some new treasures to explain when I get home...
Old 09-30-2016, 07:19 PM

Prophet River,

Clay will go the distance to make sure you are a satisfied customer!

Went to Vic Comp High School, there used to be a gun shop just south of school
close to a deli shop on the west side of same street the school was on. Used to go to the deli at lunch and then tour the the gun shops, Milarm, and years before that ww arcade, in the basement was where all the firearms were, can still remember the wooden stairs going down there, creaking and groaning, anybody remember that, and the Dot, the sales lady there in the gun dept?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:19 PM

Thumbs up gunshops

X2 Roy at R&T in Warburg.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:15 PM

Back Country in Bellshill.
The owner hunts, reloads, casts and shoots a lot.
She knows her stuff.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:20 AM
Banned

Default Forget Cranbrook

Guncraft on Edmonton Trail was my Favorite for sure. Even Barrotos when it was still on 9th.

Had a pleasant surprise with quality professional people with a smile in Creston last week. The shop in Trail was a pleasant surprise as well.

Stopped in at Cranbrook downtown twice over the last week and both times just found impatient cranky young and old types behind the counter. Would not go back there unless it was an emergency for supplies. They have no clue and their faces could not smile if they tried.

Had a nice surprise also in Sparwood. Great guy.

Too bad Custom Gun shop was not around in Edmonton. P and E is fine but half the staff behind the counter again not qualified.

Collectors in Houston, and the gunshop in downtown Vienna called Kettner really great as well as Frankonia close to the beer halls in Munich great.

Good clothing in Europe at the shops for hunting.

In Paris there is one really great gunshop about three blocks from the Bourse ( stock market exchange ) where I buy exotic brass from RWS. No problem taking out of France that reloading brass.
The Beretta shop in Paris Definately worth checking out very close to the Metro George 5 on the Champs. Very nice owner.

Last edited by Mangosteen; 10-01-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:08 AM

Warehouse sports in St. Paul is a good place to visit if anyone is in the Lakeland region. Always good prices, good selection, and good conversation. My last purchase there was my browning Maxus, and he gave me a good deal on the gun, a case, a choke and he even threw in a hat. They're great with my 2 boys and always show them around the store while I ogle at the merchandise. It's my go to place for ammo. Excellent customer service. If he doesn't have it, he gets it. He'll stay late too, or come open his shop if you need it after hours. Can't say enough good things about warehouse sports!
Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Lac La Biche Sporting Goods!!! Graham behind the gun counter knows his stuff backwards & forwards, and knows where to source pretty much anything, including not well known products. He enjoys his job and it shows in his attitude!!!! I have bought guns, ammo, & other hunting gear from them for 30 years. Great place to deal, as the marked prices are only for those who are too proud or too foolish to haggle.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 AM

I would like to give a shout out to the guys at Proline Shooters in Inglewood, Calgary.

A few months ago, I bought the Burris Eliminator 3 from Basspro and had them mount it on my rifle. After about a week or so, I finally got the chance to take it out to the range and get it sighted in. It was shooting high every time and I wasn't even on paper. I adjusted the sights to the maximum setting and I was still not getting on paper. Anyway, I thought I would take it in and just get the scope looked at to make sure everything was okay. I went to Calgary Shooting Center and the guy at the counter told me everything looks okay, and that it might just be a malfunction in the scope itself. He didn't open it up or anything, and suggested I contact Burris to see what they can do. I wanted to get a second opinion so I took it to Proline. I spoke with Erin about it, and the first thing he did was take the scope off the gun and right then he realized that the rails on the bottom of the scope had actually been broken. We guessed it must of happened while they were mounting it at Basspro, so I gave them all call. They told me to bring it in and see what they could do, and they ended up just giving me a new scope over the counter.

This past weekend, I had an issue with my shotgun where it wasn't firing. I took it into Calgary Shooting Center again, and the guy said he would show it to the gunsmith. After about 5 minutes he came back and said first it will need to be cleaned and the gunsmith would have to take a better look at it. The gunsmith's rate was $125 and he would need it for an indefinite amount of time depending on what the problem was. I left and went to Proline Shooters to get a second opinion. I walked in, told the gentleman my problem, he looked at it, worked his magic, and it was working again in less than 5 minutes. I wish I would have gotten the fellows name.

Anyways, I really appreciate the customer service I get a Proline every time I walk in. They are always knowledgeable and take the time to help you with whatever it is you need.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:01 PM

I like the only traditional black powder supplier Hillfolk Musket Supplies in Senlac, SK. Becky is always willing to seek out the odd or esoteric BP items.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Always like going to Sportsman's den in Red Deer, Good staff, good service and if you need it, they likely have it. Wolverine I avoid.

Grizz
I'm the total opposite Grizz every time I go into the sportsman's den I seem to get poor service , Wolverine is always a better experience. But I do think there is a bit more experience behind the gun counter at the sportsman's den
maybe its time to go back to the sportsman's den next time in town
Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Proline Shooters

I was in Proline Shooters today in Inglewood, Calgary. As soon as I walked in they were very welcoming. They knew I was in to test the feel of a few shotguns and not buy right off the bat, but the girl at the counter was really helpful and didn't brush me off. She pulled out all sorts of shotguns for me to test out and none of the guns had trigger locks on them so that was nice (though I wouldn't dare dry-fire one of their guns). Great friendly people, easy going and seem to know their product well. Much better experience than going to the gun counter at any of the big box stores.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Prophet River,

Clay will go the distance to make sure you are a satisfied customer!

Went to Vic Comp High School, there used to be a gun shop just south of school
close to a deli shop on the west side of same street the school was on. Used to go to the deli at lunch and then tour the the gun shops, Milarm, and years before that ww arcade, in the basement was where all the firearms were, can still remember the wooden stairs going down there, creaking and groaning, anybody remember that, and the Dot, the sales lady there in the gun dept?
That Gunshop south of Vic Comp was Wildcat Guns. Owned by Arlan Johnson and Art Bourne (gunsmith). Neat place - exceptional work.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Does anybody's dy remember Rachel's gun shop?
Cat
Old 01-18-2017, 06:11 AM

I wish the service I've received at some of these small firearm, and sporting shops was more common elsewhere. In no particular order I like to deal with PR, p&d, Bashaw, Kodiak Lake, Budget shooter, wanstalls, and grouse river. I'm new to Bashaw, but was blown by the service. Prophet River is unreal to deal with, if you want they will find.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 PM

Gotta say Prophet River was great, doing a US order for me a guy from Calgary that they never met before.

On the quick n' easy side, Marstar in Ontario packed up and sent me a couple Norincos within a week before Christmas.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pete View Post
Flys etc in high river, especially now that they moved to their new bigger location
I agree Fly's etc. is great! more than once they were the only one around carrying what I needed. And if they don't have it, they can almost always get it for ya.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadRain View Post
I have had the exact opposite experience. I have been treated poorly everytime i have shopped at the sportmens den. They are just there. The wife also complains when I send her in there too. They have never been helpful and always judgemental about my firearm preferences.
I have the same exp as LeadRain.

Not so much jerks, but every time I tell them what I am looking for, he tells me that's not what I want, and tries to sell me something else. Unable to grasp that I have my own reasons and needs which may differ from his own.

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-19-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Default swamp donkey

Can anyone give me Martin's number ? Havent been able to track him down due to cell vs 13' then stump
thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Bowyers in Maple Creek

Bowyers in Maple Creek, Sk is great for service and advice. A good selection of hunting or just plain paper plinking stuff.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Gun Shop

My go to gunshop is Warehouse Sports in St.Paul Alberta.
Very good prices and Darryl is a good to deal with.

Pin
Old 02-03-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Mule View Post
No, I don't think so.

I remember Cottle's Gunsmith back around 1972. I had a revolver repaired there. Different Place.

The first gun shop that I now remember going into in Edmonton was I think called Joe's Sporting Goods, back around 1971.

Located on 118 Avenue around 81st Street.

I got a 3-speed bicycle wheel straightened out there, and discovered a red cloth lined walnut case full of handguns. (They sold long guns and handguns as well as bicycles and basic ball and glove stuff.)

Love at first sight. I was hooked.

A hundred questions later, and a membership with a club that shot on Sundays in the local high school basement range, and I bought a Ruger Target .22 LR auto.

I shot every Sunday there, religiously.

I learned to shoot there and I remember the members fondly.
I think that was Jack Baker --- Jacks Gun Rack