Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-20-2005, 11:19 PM
cobra64

Default buying a handgun

Ok so I have my restricted PAL and what to buy a handgun (old smith and wesson single action i think) Do i need anything else to get a handgun? or just buy it do the paperwork, double lock it and take it home?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 PM
lilsundance

not sure how it works anymore. I am not sure but you may have to belong to a shooting club. Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:24 AM
McCurdy1234

Quote:
Ok so I have my restricted PAL and what to buy a handgun (old smith and wesson single action i think) Do i need anything else to get a handgun? or just buy it do the paperwork, double lock it and take it home?
Is it a private sale or from a store? It basically works the same as non restricted. You give the person all of your information and wait until he gets a hold of the CFC to start the transfer. You shoudl then get a number from him in wich you call the CFC and complete the transfer. They take how ever long they feel like then give it over to the Alberta CFO just to make us wait longer. While your waiting send in your ATT form to speed things up, here in Alberta you do not have to include what times you plan on shooting, or even the firearms that are to be on the ATT just fill it out and fax it in. When all is fianlly done they will call you {yeah right, call them everyday if it takes any longer then 7 days} and give you another number wich you will have to tell the person who is selling you the gun for them to ship.

It's pretty painless and plenty frustrating. And no you do not need to be a member of a range to get restricted, in Alberta anyway. I believe you do if you are in Ontario.
This is all pretty general and not written in stone as I just completed my first 2 myself

Good luck
Old 06-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Bear Ballz

Yah it was actually pretty painless got my permit number to transport and away I went. Actually only took 3 days all said and done. I bought a Ruger Single Six off of Hardwater.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
HUNTNUT

Anytime I bought a handgun they asked what gun club I belonged to as it was required that you have to belong to a club to purchase or have a restricted firearm.-(at least that's what they told me)
Old 06-21-2005, 07:22 PM
McCurdy1234

It's not required but they will tell you that anyway. Next time they tell you that ask them to point it out to you in your handy firearms manual where it says so.

And when they can't point it out laugh in there faces and do an endzone dance:lol

I'm just joking about the last part, thye might not appreciate it very much. Better to do it after you have hung up the phone.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
HUNTNUT

Yeah I just give them my club number-of course I "forgot" to re-new it a couple of years ago
Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 PM
osterb

when you live in the land of the free (refer to title of board :rollin ) you can usually get away with it. the further east you go...the more anal they become >:
Old 06-28-2005, 06:32 PM
osterb

(dare I mention I'm from the maritimes :evil )
Old 07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
McCurdy1234

Just completed a transfer today and she told me I had to belong to a club.....

No I don't, better check your rules says I.

"Oh, well then the transfer should be done in 7 days have a good day"

:lol

I wonder how many people they tell that rush down and buy a membership because it is "the rules"
Old 08-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Ken aka Savage

If you are not a member of a range, what does your conveyance permit say? Mine says I am permitted to carry above noted wepons by the most direct route to any registered gun range at which I have permission to shoot, in the province of Alberta. Meaning that I would be breaking the law to pack it along on a trip to the gravel pit to shoot my long rifles. I do normally shoot at a registered gun range, but don't do so with my black powder rifle as the process of loading it when on the firing line with other shooters is very frustrating with the regulations of the gun range.
--Ken
Old 08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
McCurdy1234

Default ATT

Mine says I'm good for any range, gunsmith ect in Alberta and BC. GP's range is kind of brutal in that it is only open until 5 during the week. I don't think those people have jobs. And 5 on weekends?? We have light until 11 at night in the summer, something has got to change.

I can still take mine to the range if I'm not a member, I just don't usually have time to go so I don't bother with the membership.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Mustayah

Default Re: ATT

McCurdy1234...

I'm frustrated with the hours the GP range has, also. Maybe someone's gotta get on the board, be a range master, and offer to run additional hours. Something more would be nice. Even one late night during the week sometime would be worthwhile. The prohibitive hours have stopped me from buying a membership and usually resort to a random gravel pit.

cheers!
Geoff.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:45 PM
pegusus

Are there any restrictions on how many handguns you can have?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:50 PM
McCurdy1234

pegasus, you can own as many as you want. I'm not 100% but I believe after 12 or so they change your class to collector.
Mustayah, the range is brutal eh? I usually just go to the farm.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 AM
pegusus

Can you shoot on private property with a handgun? With permission of course. Please excuse my questions if they seem a little dumb. I currently live in Texas but have bought a place in Alberta so plan on beeing there quite a bit in the future.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:30 AM
McCurdy1234

You can shoot on private property or crown with any non-restricted rifle. Handguns are a big no-no {So ar AR's ect}. If your looking to read up on some of our laws go to canadiangunnutz.com
They will give the straight & narrow to keep ya out of trouble where I would probably say don't get caught:lol
Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 PM

Default update to new handgun buyers

i was searching online about buying a hand gun and see a few out dated comments and feed back.
so im posting my experience as i am in the middle of buying my first hand gun in calgary
to make things go faster for you.
go get a membership asap.
the gun club sends a fax to the cfo in your area and it gets attached to your file ( rpal)
second apply for a ltatt ( long term att).
call a cfo and apply for one or fax the application in.

it takes a few days for these to be linked to your Rpal.
once those have been attached on your rpal ,buying will be alot faster and less wait time.

I have done all this the same day as purchasing a handgun .I am now waiting 4 business days so far, plus a weekend and a few calls to make sure everything is going smoothly.

I hope this helps a few of the newbies like me .
Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxcalgary View Post
i was searching online about buying a hand gun and see a few out dated comments and feed back.
so im posting my experience as i am in the middle of buying my first hand gun in calgary
the gun club sends a fax to the cfo in your area and it gets attached to your file ( rpal)

once those have been attached on your rpal ,buying will be alot faster and less wait time.

I have done all this the same day as purchasing a handgun .I am now waiting 4 business days so far, plus a weekend and a few calls to make sure everything is going smoothly.

Having sat on the executive of our local Shooting Club for more than a handful of years. I can assure you that we never sent jack squat into the cfo regarding memberships, wrt ATT's
Your experience is unfortunately not typical I'm afraid.

And why did you drum up a thread from 2005?
You could have started your own ya know.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-25-2017, 12:42 PM

12 year thread bump.... that has to be a new AO record!

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-25-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Hmmmmm........not quite right but what is with Canadian firearm laws. see Q13 onwards, on the link.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/n...015-09-eng.htm
Old 10-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

Your post could be sincere and well intended.
It's the individual responsibility to dance for the administrator.

Welcome to the dark side, nothing wrong with handguns!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Having sat on the executive of our local Shooting Club for more than a handful of years. I can assure you that we never sent jack squat into the cfo regarding memberships, wrt ATT's
Your experience is unfortunately not typical I'm afraid.

And why did you drum up a thread from 2005?
You could have started your own ya know.
Having served on the executive of two clubs, we never sent anything to the CFO regarding memberships and ATTs either.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:02 PM

the correct way is for YOU to fax the gun club proof of membership into the cfo

Cement Bench
Old 10-25-2017, 06:12 PM

I haven't faxed anything to the CFO in years.. email is much faster. Not even sure where you'd find a fax machine anymore lol.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Banned

Depending on the situation a fax can still be used,remember to include a header or title page with reference number. I usually call the local of the individual i am dealing with to inform them that's it's being transmitted.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:21 AM

When I bought my first handgun (not that long ago). Phoenix Range faxed a copy of my membership to the CFO when I got the membership. P&D attached a copy of my range membership to the transfer application they sent to the CFO and I sent a copy of my range membership to the CFO office myself. When I called the CFO a week after I bought the gun and asked what the holdup was ..... they said they were waiting for a copy of my range membership. When I told them they have it 3 times they said .... it's not processed yet. Approved the next day.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:38 PM

I'll be jumping through these hoops as soon as my gun club membership shows up in the mail. I was told the fastest way is to email a copy of membership and PAL to the cfo right away. That way when you try to purchase your restricted firearm, they already have the info.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
the correct way is for YOU to fax the gun club proof of membership into the cfo

Cement Bench
I took a pic with my phone and emailed it, they would not proceed with the documents until they received it
Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Banned

Good to know email can be another way to get the information delivered.