Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Default What to do with CWD Deer carcass?

Lets say you bring home a deer from wainwright, and later get a call that it has chronic wasting disease.
What do you do with it?
If you dump it in your back 40 is that going to make your neighbourhood a CWD hotspot now?
Old 12-08-2018, 08:00 AM

In Saskatchewan, the recommended action is double bagged in a licensed landfill, according to the website.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:16 AM

They will give you the options, you cannot just dump it or leave it for coyote bait.

LC
Old 12-08-2018, 08:31 AM

They will let you know your options. From what I understand it has to be incinerated and there are a few sites in which it can be disposed of.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Considering it can take 6-8 weeks to get those results back, how many guys realistically still have the carcass by the time they get the results back?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 AM

I normally de-bone/gutless method in the field if I am not returning to the area or return the scraps/bones to the general area I got it.

Landfill is probably the next best option but I never have had to do that.

S
Old 12-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Compost bins

Calgary has a compost program in place. I wonder if we could put the hide and bones in the compost bin?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
Calgary has a compost program in place. I wonder if we could put the hide and bones in the compost bin?
And spread those prions all over the city?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Cover it with humic acid. See Phil's post: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355771
Old 12-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Maybe I should just eat it, and have a spoonful of humic acid every morning.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Eat it don't eat it your choice Ralph Klein once said the three S's what you should do with it I'm not sure good luck
Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 PM

Wouldn’t you think the smart thing to do with a CWD carcass should be double bagged an put into the landfill instead of disguarded on the outskirts of town- i thought us as ethical hunters would try an do our little part In trying to control the desease . Every time I have been out walking my dog I have found deer carcasses. every deer should be treated as a CWD
Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebuck View Post
Wouldn’t you think the smart thing to do with a CWD carcass should be double bagged an put into the landfill instead of disguarded on the outskirts of town- i thought us as ethical hunters would try an do our little part In trying to control the desease . Every time I have been out walking my dog I have found deer carcasses. every deer should be treated as a CWD
How does the double bagging help?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM

One bag or two it’s better to keep in one dumping area to be buried or burnt I’m just saying has to be better than scattering carcasses all over the country
Old 12-11-2018, 07:13 PM

In my opinion this is the Biggest Flaw in the whole CWD program.
Its not strict enough on where hunters dump their bones. People dump the broken down appliances on the backroads whats to stop them from doing the same thing with their carcass.
I feel that some of our dollars from what we pay in Hunting licences should go into the program to give hunters a place to properly discard them...Have a general dumpster to take them to thats convenient or incineration system or something.
Its possible Not everyone does their processing here in Alberta i'm sure and take it back to their province at the end of the Hunt..
We all have to do our part to help the prevention of spreading CWD.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM

They don’t want you to take head an bones into other provinces but we will throw them in our back yard. We have to do it ourselves
Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 PM

Any of you guys that have killed a positive cwd deer suspect anything by looking at them? Anything funny with the behavior or see anything wierd in the guts? Just curious. I know not many of us would shoot a sick looking deer especially the mules...waiting for the draw and all. Live in good mule country and the fork horns sure looked long and lanky this year they are usually fat little butterballs.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 AM

I enquired with ESRD ,or what ever they were called several years ago, about how they were going to enforce or administer a program to minimize the transport of animals out of CWD zones. They said it would be to costly to monitor and educate for even a 50% compliance with the guide lines because frankly the majority of hunters in Alberta are either ignorant about or don't care about the spread of CWD. They have had the guidelines for transport posted for many years and I'm betting most have never read them. It's on the second page.
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3aca...ng-oct2009.pdf
Old 12-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
I enquired with ESRD ,or what ever they were called several years ago, about how they were going to enforce or administer a program to minimize the transport of animals out of CWD zones. They said it would be to costly to monitor and educate for even a 50% compliance with the guide lines because frankly the majority of hunters in Alberta are either ignorant about or don't care about the spread of CWD. They have had the guidelines for transport posted for many years and I'm betting most have never read them. It's on the second page.
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3aca...ng-oct2009.pdf
Thanks for posting that link.
It doesn't say what to do with the carcasses, only that you shouldn't transport any part except meat and antlers out of an infected zone.
But you wont know if it's an infected deer until after you get it home...
I do live in a infected zone, so technically bringing a deer from Wainwright home won't take it out of the "at risk area"