Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM

Default Fly fishing equipment - noob questions

Hi everyone, I am not a beginner in fishing, yet flyfishing is something new for me. I've been out flyfishing several times and I even haven't got my own reel lol. That's the reason why I decided to post here. Can you folks recommend a good kit for the beginner that will include at least the most important things...? Or going with a complete kit is a bad idea and it's better to pick everything separately? Appreciate all your help and comments!
Thanks,
Gary.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 AM

Depending on your budget,,,, If you want to spend less than $200, I would suggest a kit. TFO makes a good starter kit as anyone.

https://tforods.ca/collections/rods-.../tfo-nxt-la-rr

If you are willing to spend more than $200, I'd start looking at mixing and matching rod, line and reel. Go to good fly shop and listen to the staff recommendations and you should end up with decent set up.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 AM

This won't apply to all, but be wary of the line supplied with rod / reel / line combos, often the line is pretty crappy. Starting with decent line will help avoid some of the frustrations all beginners have.

Also, what do you plan on fishing for, and where (river, small stream, lake, etc.)?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Both PikeBreath and Scott have some good points.

TFO is a good place to start with. They make decent entry level rods and reels that won't brake the bank.

Cabelas also has some good entry level packages.

Scott is right on the money about the lines. Most lines that come with package deals are crap. So invest in a decent line.

What are you planning on fishing for? That will make a big difference in what weight of fly rod to get. (Wt is the abbreviation for weight). If your just fishing small creeks and streams, then a 3 or 4 wt rod might be best. If your fishing larger rivers or small lakes with trout in them then a 5 or 6 wt rod will be good. If your thinking of catching pike then I would go with a 7 or 8 wt rod. I would go higher than lower in most cases. At least to start with.

As for flies you can get some flies at a local shop. Most shops will give you some good advice, as well on where to try or what to use.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRamey View Post
Hi everyone, I am not a beginner in fishing, yet flyfishing is something new for me. I've been out flyfishing several times and I even haven't got my own reel lol. That's the reason why I decided to post here. Can you folks recommend a good kit for the beginner that will include at least the most important things...? Or going with a complete kit is a bad idea and it's better to pick everything separately? Appreciate all your help and comments!
Thanks,
Gary.
All the fly shops in the Calgary area are super helpful and knowledgeable. This is one of those purchases that I would consider making through a fly shop. Prices are not more than a box store for the same items (often cheaper). With every purchase comes some advice.

As a conventional angler, there are some differences in how gear is prioritized. If you are buying a complete kit from a fly shop, they will usually give a discount on a line. But for the sake of budgeting, I will not include it here.

The difference in fly fishing is you cast the line, not the lure. The line has a huge impact on how a rod casts. A good line costs $80-$100. I know that sticker price is gonna hurt, but most people will agree that a good line is worth the money.

Fly fishing has been around for a long time. So, for the most part with rods and reels, you get what you pay for, with limiting returns as the price increases. 10 years ago, a $200 rod was close to twice as good as a $100 rod. A $400 rod would be better than a $200 rod, but probably not twice as good. An $800 rod is nicer than a $400 rod, but the nuances as a casting tool takes years of practice to begin to appreciate. When you buy a rod or combo kit, just make sure it has a lifetime warranty, which usually means for a small fee, you can get a replacement. The warranty covers all sorts of human stupidity. The same goes with reels. For freshwater fishing, a $200 reel will have a nice smooth drag, an attractive finish, and hold line.

However, things have somewhat changed in the last few years. You can get a completely functional rod for $100. The Echo Base is around $100. It has some cheaper components. I have used this rod for several outings. It is completely functional and will last a lifetime if treated properly. Sure, I would rather use my $500 Sage rods, but using the Base in no way detracted from my fish catching or enjoyment of actually fishing.

Unlike conventional angling, the reel in fly fishing has much less value. It is basically a line containment device. There is really only one place in Alberta that benefits from having a good reel and that is the Bow River (and the brown trout in the Red Deer river, which are from the Bow River). It is the only place that I have ever caught fish in Alberta that will legitimately scream drag. I have $400 reels and $50 reels. For a day in the mountain streams, the $50 reel is just fine.

So, that being said, I know the Echo Base combo is a good beginner kit. It has a medium action rod that is 100% functional. The reel is plastic, but the drag system is actually OK for the value. It comes with an Airflo line (the best line I have seen a kit) and a leader. It has a warranty to the original owner. I am sure TFO has something similar.

In addition to the rod, reel, line, and leader, you will also need some flies. When purchasing flies, advice from the fly shop is your best bet. There are some flies that work all the time, but fly choice tends to be dynamic and seasonal. Be prepared to lose a lot of flies. It is the cost of learning.

There are a few things that will really improve the over experience fishing. A couple spools of tippet is a good idea. Tippet extends the life of your leader. The other exceptional awesome fly fishing tool is a pair of scissor clamps. Primary purpose is removing flies from fish. Secondary purpose is pinching barbs to make primary purpose easier. They are also great for cutting tag ends and they have a little pokey thing for clearing hook eyes. (ASIDE: pinching barbs is fabulous idea as a newbie---everybody eventually impales themselves with a fly. You will appreciate having a debarbed hook)

In total, it is about $300-$350 to get full equipped for fly fishing. You can piece it together or buy a kit.

As a final comment, do not underestimate the value of a teacher. Taking a fly fishing course (usually $100-$200) will teach you more in 8 hours than you would learn in 8 weeks on your own. Also, a day with a guide will really teach you where and how to catch fish.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:00 PM

You might want to consider checking into whether Hanson's Fishing Outfitters in Calgary still run their boot camps. I can't remember the cost but you get a day's instruction with a rod/reel/line for less than the cost of just the equipment.

Great way to get started and the equipment is pretty decent.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:50 AM

Hi and thanks for replying, folks, I really appreciate your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Depending on your budget,,,, If you want to spend less than $200, I would suggest a kit. TFO makes a good starter kit as anyone.
Yes, I'd like to get within that $200 budget, an later on when I find out what exactly I need I will move to upgrading my kit with something better than what's in there. At least that's what I think of it as of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
This won't apply to all, but be wary of the line supplied with rod / reel / line combos, often the line is pretty crappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Most lines that come with package deals are crap. So invest in a decent line.
Oh I see, so it may make sense to get a kit and a better line then... Or the kit won't be worth it if the line will be bought separately?.... will have to look into that and see the prices.
Quote:
What are you planning on fishing for?
I plan on trout fishing. Thanks for the recommendation, I will be looking for a descent 5 or 6 wt rod then to add to the kit.
Quote:
As for flies you can get some flies at a local shop. Most shops will give you some good advice, as well on where to try or what to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
All the fly shops in the Calgary area are super helpful and knowledgeable.
I haven't thought of it, as I usually shop for different things online. But I believe the rod and the flies I will be getting from a physical shop, not online. As for the kit, I guess I will still get it online based on your folks recommendations and on the research I conducted this weekend.
Before I read your comments folks, I was thinking that one of these 2 kits will do that:
Wright & McGill fly fishing kit around $120
Redington Path II fly fishing kit approx $200 on amazon
However now I understand, that I have to check out the brands that you folks have noted as none of the 2 I was thinking of is in the list that I made from the comments and recommendations I've got from you.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 AM

I would agree with the previous recommendations for Echo Base and TFO NXT packages. I have bought the Echo, TFO and Redington Path pkgs for people starting fly fishing. I'm most impressed with the Echo Base package and now have an Echo Base rod as my backup rod. I was least impressed with the Redington reel although the Path rod was fine.

TFO rods are distributed from Calgary with replacement rod sections easily available. Some local Fly Shops (Fish Tales in Calgary) carry replacement tips for the Echo Base rod.

A 5 wt rod might be the most versatile weight for a first rod. Although I have a sweet 8 ft - 4 wt rod for smaller stream, I find I'm using my 9 ft-5 wt more only because of the winds that seem ever present in SW Alberta.

Good luck!
Ken
Old 09-19-2018, 08:55 PM

Or you can consider the brand new outfit that I am selling
Old 09-20-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post

https://tforods.ca/collections/rods-.../tfo-nxt-la-rr

If you are willing to spend more than $200, I'd start looking at mixing and matching rod, line and reel. Go to good fly shop and listen to the staff recommendations and you should end up with decent set up.
Good advice here - start with a TFO setup (Temple Fork Outfitters). Even a Cabelas starter set would work, I had a TFO setup for a few years and really liked it.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:42 PM

U wish I had done this before I started, have fun.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Banned

For all round river and stillwater I would get a TFO Lefty Kreh 6wt with a moderate priced disc drag reel (Okuma SLV) especially if your fishing in the south. The 4 or 5 weights are great for dry fly/small stream but for the most part are a PIA in the wind and to light for pike.

Unless you are going for salmon or huge fish most of the time a moderate disc drag will work well. Spend a bit more on the line, Rio is hard to beat. This setup will put you slightly over the 200 dollar range but you will have an outfit that will last for years and will cast pretty descent in the wind.