Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 PM

Default Nightforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I am going to pay a premium price,I will stick with premium brands such as Zeiss,Swarovski ,Schmidt & Bender or Nightforce.
I can speak for nightforce scopes. I bought one earlier this year. 5.5-22X56 with mildot reticle. Crystal clear optics with very good light transition. The turrets are great and mechanic reliability is second to none. I now have put rails on all my rifles and just swap the scope to the one I want to shoot. If you count and record your adjustment from each rifle when you switch it to a different rifle it is just a matter of adjusting it back to match that rifle. It stays zeroed without reshooting after the swap. My NF is the best addition to my arsenal yet and I dont regret the 2000$ I paid for it I love this scope. And it is made in Japan. Buy one u will not regret it I promise.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Maybe the ones that you own or that you sell, but not one of my scopes was made in China.
what scope do you shoot?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
what scope do you shoot?
I shoot Kahles,Zeiss, and Swarovski.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 AM

ahh. europeian glass is still best.. most manufactures have there glass made in japan and parts and assembily in china.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM

Where in whitecourt sells them?
Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells them in Alberta?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM

I have a blue diamond and the quality is better than the first generation...ignore the comments that it is made in china, not true! i love mine and it does what it is intended to do and simple to use. obviously not in the same glass category as swaro but for half the price you cant go wrong. too bad swaro doesnt have a better turret, so, in this respect Huskemaw wins here. the huskemaw has wind hold points on the turret. as far as glass i like my leupold better but not much of a difference to be highly noticeable.
Huskemaw is made in the same factory as nightforce. however, nightforce does not make huskemaw. lets not get confused. Its Japanese optics. G7 nightforce is another great scope same turret type.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 AM

I was just about to pull the trigger on one and after looking at reviews went with Zeiss instead. I like the long range idea but doubt I would ever use it. My son has a new Nightforce and it looks like it has more options than a loaded truck. Very clear glass. Shes a 2 grand hit though.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM

I just purchased a Sako A7 in 7mm Rem Mag with the Husky blue diamond scope from Corlanes this year. I have little range experience other then sighting in and taking a few shots with my other hunting rifle...a 1985 30 06 Browning A-bolt with a just as old Nikon 3-9 40 scope. My A7 was set up to almost 900 yards on the turrett (700 actual target shot) with Burger VLD bullets in 168 gr. The gun is accurate up to at least 560 yards as this is the furtherst I have shot with it. I can hit clay shot gun pigeons at this range and anytihng under this range no problem just using a cheap shooting bag. It is my new hunting rifle but will be looking forward to some more range experience with it next year as I have just recently got it. It will be interesting to see how accurately it groups when I start really shooting it. 2 other freinds have purchased this scope as well set up form corlanes (One of which shoots regularly at the range and has all sorts of diff models of guns and scopes). One on a remignton 700 30 06 and another on a remington tactical long range 308. All 3 of us agree that the scope is of good quality and for the price being set up ready to shoot we couldnt be happier. If it stands up to this years hunting outages in terms of durability I will be 100% confident in this scope forsure. As it sits I would not hesitate to buy it.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Default Huskemaw

I, too, got caught up in all the hype and bought one, BUT soon sold it! Didn't like the fact that I was tied into a specific bullet weight/coefficient/elevation etc. Bought a Nightforce and have never been happier.
In their defense they are simlipier to operate, range-dial-shoot. But if you know your M.O.A. ballistics (or tape them onto the butt of your rifle) the Nightforce is just as good, can be used with any bullet and is much more superior in the optic clarity and ruggedness.
GOOD LUCK!!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Default Huskemaw

I should also add my Nightforce has an illuminated reticle, which is really advantageous in low light conditions and has obvious added value. My Nightforce cost about 50% more than the Huskemaw!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the info fellas, anyone know if there is a store near Calgary that carries them?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Banned

Going to bump this up.

Looking at a new scope for my rifle. Any other reviews from people that own or owned huskemaws.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Been there done that. Glass is good until you look through a Swaro or NF. Bullet specific turrets suck if you ever want to shoot something different. Why they would build a scope with 1/3 moa clicks is beyond me. corlanes pushes these scopes, the only reason i can think of is they buy them really cheap and sell them at a huge profit.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:07 AM

I would not put one on a hunting rifle even if it was free.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
I would not put one on a hunting rifle even if it was free.
That good eh. What didn't you like about it?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
I shoot Kahles,Zeiss, and Swarovski.
Do you cause much damage to them?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
snip
Why they would build a scope with 1/3 moa clicks is beyond me.
snip
IIUC, .1 MilRad = 1cm @ 100yds = 1/3moa

I suspect it is the Euro equivalent of an American MOA scope with .25moa clicks = 1/4" @ 100yds having a MilDot reticle.
Some Bushnell MilDot reticle scopes have MOA turrets, and even some NF.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Huskemaw Scopes

I have a Blue Diamond 5-20x50 that I got from Corlane's a few years back. They mounted it on a Cooper rifle for me and sighted it in on their outdoor 700 or so yard range.
So far as warrantee, they said to send it back to them and they will fix it. I think Corlane's are the Canadian distributor.
I like the scope---optics are not on a par with Nightforce or the Mark 4 Leupold scopes---but it is much lighter than a Nightforce and much cheaper.
I have shot it at the range and it was right on.
The turret is specific to a given load but they will make other turrets if you want to change your ammo.
When I got mine they were doing a brisk business putting Huskemaw scopes on both new rifles as well as clients rifles that were sent to them---one stop shopping---you got your rifle back with the scope sighted in for specific ammo---great for very busy people who don't have the time to do it themselves.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
I have a Blue Diamond 5-20x50 that I got from Corlane's a few years back. They mounted it on a Cooper rifle for me and sighted it in on their outdoor 700 or so yard range.
So far as warrantee, they said to send it back to them and they will fix it. I think Corlane's are the Canadian distributor.
I like the scope---optics are not on a par with Nightforce or the Mark 4 Leupold scopes---but it is much lighter than a Nightforce and much cheaper.
I have shot it at the range and it was right on.
The turret is specific to a given load but they will make other turrets if you want to change your ammo.
When I got mine they were doing a brisk business putting Huskemaw scopes on both new rifles as well as clients rifles that were sent to them---one stop shopping---you got your rifle back with the scope sighted in for specific ammo---great for very busy people who don't have the time to do it themselves.
I was up there today at corlanes. Didn't look at the scopes except the price tag. Lol. Gotta wait until I get a little more money in the bank then I'll get a little more serious but I think that I'll probably get a blue diamond 5-20 x50.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I was up there today at corlanes. Didn't look at the scopes except the price tag. Lol. Gotta wait until I get a little more money in the bank then I'll get a little more serious but I think that I'll probably get a blue diamond 5-20 x50.
What is your budget? I'm not yery familiar with the brand in question but they seem to polarize people lol.

My 2 cents below, for "long range" options.

Under $500 - Bushnell Elite Tactical, nothing fancy but work

$500-$750- Sightron S-TAC (new) Sightron S3 (used) Bushnell Elite Tactical

$750-$1000 - Lots of options here, Sightron S3 again, upper models of the Elite Tactical, maybe used Mk 4 Leupold, Vortex PST

$1000-$1500 - if new, best in my books are Sightron S3 (FFP in reach here) but also used Mk4 and possibly Nightforce NSX.

Personally I like the Sightron S3, have a couple in FFP and IMO the best option in its price range.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 PM

So I would have to think a rifle with a 5 x 20 opticle zoom on it would only be good for shooting a fair distance.
What would that be like trying to get your scope onto an animal at lets say 150 yards or less in the trees or in a tight area?
Old 12-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
So I would have to think a rifle with a 5 x 20 opticle zoom on it would only be good for shooting a fair distance.
What would that be like trying to get your scope onto an animal at lets say 150 yards or less in the trees or in a tight area?
At lowest power, no sweat.
I recently looked through a buddy's fixed 6X Leuppold and could discern the corner of his cupboard with absolutly no issues- that was from about 10 feet away.
Cat
Old 12-15-2017, 02:23 PM

Good to know. Thanks