Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 10:18 AM

Default Toyota Tundra larger fuel tanks

Does anyone have information on larger aftermarket fuel tanks for a Toyota Tundra? Looking for a place in Canada to purchase, or the US if I can get info. on total cost, duty, etc. I have contacted a few places and they do not carry anything. Have found Transferflow in California, for a 46 gallon tank, but would prefer to do this more locally. Not interested in slip tanks or jerry cans, lol.
Thanks.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:21 AM

Titan Tanks used to make one, but I think your best bet is one from TransferFlow:
https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800114225

I'm not sure about local dealers at the moment. You can pay a ridiculous price for one on amazon, though! https://www.amazon.ca/Transfer-08001...e%2C135&sr=1-1

See if Performance Parts can source them: (https://www.performancepartscanada.c...ow/folder/9721)

That's one of my main gripes about towing with the Tundra - the tiny tank ensures you stop at every gas station you can find.

Note that some of the larger tanks may reduce your ground clearance - so take that into account if you do any off-roading.

I just pack an extra jerry can or two along if I'm travelling somewhere where I won't be able to fill up regularly. The drawback is that they tend to be smelly.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Titan Tanks used to make one, but I think your best bet is one from TransferFlow:
https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800114225

I'm not sure about local dealers at the moment. You can pay a ridiculous price for one on amazon, though! https://www.amazon.ca/Transfer-08001...e%2C135&sr=1-1

That's one of my main gripes about towing with the Tundra - the tiny tank ensures you stop at every gas station you can find.

Note that some of the larger tanks may reduce your ground clearance - so take that into account if you do any off-roading.

I just pack an extra jerry can or two along if I'm travelling somewhere where I won't be able to fill up regularly. The drawback is that they tend to be smelly.
Around 2014, the Tundra got a much larger tank ,so it's possible that you could get a larger tank and accessories from a wrecker, and the fuel gauge and computer could be programed with the later model specs.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:12 PM

Nice to see they fixed the mileage issues.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
They did in 2022, the new twin turbo V6 does very well on fuel, and the non hybrid tank is 122L.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Around 2014, the Tundra got a much larger tank ,so it's possible that you could get a larger tank and accessories from a wrecker, and the fuel gauge and computer could be programed with the later model specs.
Yup, that would have been 2016 when they went to the 38-gallon tank. Great idea, Elkhunter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Meh, really no worse than my old Ford or Incredigirl's Dad's Dodge... The tiny tank does give that impression, though...
Old 03-21-2023, 03:56 PM

Amazon price is now actually cheaper than the one place I have found in Canada that orders these in. This appears to be trickier and more expensive than I hoped for. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
Does anyone have information on larger aftermarket fuel tanks for a Toyota Tundra? Looking for a place in Canada to purchase, or the US if I can get info. on total cost, duty, etc. I have contacted a few places and they do not carry anything. Have found Transferflow in California, for a 46 gallon tank, but would prefer to do this more locally. Not interested in slip tanks or jerry cans, lol.
Thanks.
If I didn't know better I would have thought I had written this post. This is my EXACT question and thoughts about my 2013 Tundra. I reluctantly carry 2 x 20L gas cans when I'm towing my big cargo trailer that I camp in. I love my thirsty 5.7L Tundra and take poor fuel economy in stride, but the small gas tank is such a pain in the butt!
Old 03-21-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yup, that would have been 2016 when they went to the 38-gallon tank. Great idea, Elkhunter!

I do have to agree on large tank sizes. My F150 has a 36 gallon tank and it's awesome to go on road trips to and only have to fuel up once a day. The downside is that once a day hurts!
Old 03-22-2023, 07:14 AM

Well after a bit more research I have found that aftermarket larger tanks are around $4500, not installed, so lets guess $6000 complete. Also the larger tanks on the the Tundras after 2016 sound like it only helps a little as a few forums state the 36 gallon tank uses a 9 gallon reserve to keep the fuel pump cool. I also laughed when one person mentioned that the tank is still bigger than their bladder, so stopping for gas isn't really an issue anyways.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:16 AM

Oh wow, that's awful spendy.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Well after a bit more research I have found that aftermarket larger tanks are around $4500, not installed, so lets guess $6000 complete. Also the larger tanks on the the Tundras after 2016 sound like it only helps a little as a few forums state the 36 gallon tank uses a 9 gallon reserve to keep the fuel pump cool. I also laughed when one person mentioned that the tank is still bigger than their bladder, so stopping for gas isn't really an issue anyways.
Friends with Tundras with larger tanks seem very happy with the larger tanks, they don't seem to have an issue using the full capacity.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:57 AM

My 2017 chevy was the same, 6.2 liter with the HD tow package and a lousy 89 liter tank, 300 KM and stop for fuel when towing, I love my duramax with the 134 liter tank

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:31 AM

Might try S& B. A 60 gal tank for a duramax is $1800 ish. Worth a look.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:47 AM

Dirty Diesel Customs sells S&B tanks. I realize they specialize in diesel but might be worth checking into.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
My 2017 chevy was the same, 6.2 liter with the HD tow package and a lousy 89 liter tank, 300 KM and stop for fuel when towing, I love my duramax with the 134 liter tank
And the new GMs are no better, a friend just bought a new ZR2, with 6.2, and the same tiny tank. Meanwhile I can tow my boat 700km, and still have almost 1/4 tank with my F150. If you want range with a gas engine, Ford and Toyota, are the best by far.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
And the new GMs are no better, a friend just bought a new ZR2, with 6.2, and the same tiny tank. Meanwhile I can tow my boat 700km, and still have almost 1/4 tank with my F150. If you want range with a gas engine, Ford and Toyota, are the best by far.
True, the new GMC/Chev trucks come with a 90L tank (mine is a 2022 3.0Duramax).

Because mine's the diesel and the fuel mileage is incredible - it's not an issue getting 800km between fill ups (runs a little over 10L/100km on highway) BUT in a gasser which burns more ..... a 90L tank is stupid.

Even towing with the little diesel she's pretty great on gas - so maybe it's depends more on the fuel mileage (efficiency) of the vehicle.

My 5.0 F150 had a giant 128L which was great, but it sucked back fuel when towing so I really wasn't any further ahead.

Here in Canada when you get up north and are travelling off hours or during the night and gas stations are far apart - this is something to consider for sure.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Because mine's the diesel and the fuel mileage is incredible - it's not an issue getting 800km between fill ups (runs a little over 10L/100km on highway) BUT in a gasser which burns more ..... a 90L tank is stupid.

Even towing with the little diesel she's pretty great on gas - so maybe it's depends more on the fuel mileage (efficiency) of the vehicle.

My 5.0 F150 had a giant 128L which was great, but it sucked back fuel when towing so I really wasn't any further ahead.

Here in Canada when you get up north and are travelling off hours or during the night and gas stations are far apart - this is something to consider for sure.
My 2007 Tundra was a pain hunting in more remote parts of Southern or Northern Alberta, because of the less than 600km range. In the same conditions, my F150 easily gets over 1000kms , so close to double the range. The new Tundra gets around 900km, so again a huge difference.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

I have a 2022 with the same motor and I get usually 8.7 to 9.0 just highway driving empty from Alberta to BC and between 900 to 1000km on a tank. I am a pretty gentle driver focusing on fuel economy though. In the city I am still getting low to mid 800's on a full tank.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-22-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I have a 2022 with the same motor and I get usually 8.7 to 9.0 just highway driving empty from Alberta to BC and between 900 to 1000km on a tank. I am a pretty gentle driver focusing on fuel economy though. In the city I am still getting low to mid 800's on a full tank.
I just broke mine in and it's getting better on fuel (have about 20k on it now) and got around 9.1/100km on my last trip from Edmonton to Calgary and back in a day - but was driving easy (avg. 120km/hr) - so if you are easy on the gas pedal - she sips fuel for sure.

Towed a UHaul (6800lbs on scale) Edmonton to Seattle and ran about 14L/1000km - which was crazy good. My gassers would have been double that - so very happy with 3.0 duramax and the tank size is fine.

Problem is Tundras are thirsty. A 90L tank in those would be frustrating.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I just broke mine in and it's getting better on fuel (have about 20k on it now) and got around 9.1/100km on my last trip from Edmonton to Calgary and back in a day - but was driving easy (avg. 120km/hr) - so if you are easy on the gas pedal - she sips fuel for sure.

Towed a UHaul (6800lbs on scale) Edmonton to Seattle and ran about 14L/1000km - which was crazy good. My gassers would have been double that - so very happy with 3.0 duramax and the tank size is fine.

Problem is Tundras are thirsty. A 90L tank in those would be frustrating.
The pre 2022 Tundras are thirsty, the new ones with the twin turbo V6 are excellent on fuel, and they have a 122L tank.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The pre 2022 Tundras are thirsty, the new ones with the twin turbo V6 are excellent on fuel, and they have a 122L tank.
Ironic how everyone made fun of Ford for doing twin turbos on a v6. Now both Toyota and Chevy have them. (Total detail… lol)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Ironic how everyone made fun of Ford for doing twin turbos on a v6. Now both Toyota and Chevy have them. (Total detail… lol)
I for one, never had an issue with a twin turbo V6, more power, at lower rpm, and better fuel economy works for me. GM has the 2 7, but nothing to compare to the 3.5s that Ford and Toyota are using.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Happened a few times, aluminum bodies was another.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:10 PM

Best rule of thumb is to NEVER willingly be a test pilot for new technology.

Why would any person, with any common sense, buy the "first year" of any new engine/body/etc.. of a new vehicle redesign?

Yeah it's cool to be the first kid on the block with the "new design" of something - but with the release of the ECO boost - there were some serious issues. Also when the gen2 ecoboost came out, same thing, more issues.

Same reason I waited a couple years to buy the 3.0 Duramax. Most of the bugs should be worked out by now.

It will be interesting to see how the first year or two of the new Toyota 6TT engines will be for reliability. Usually Toyota is pretty cautious and releases in one market first (for a few years) to test. This one, I believe, was not .....
Old 03-23-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Best rule of thumb is to NEVER willingly be a test pilot for new technology.

Why would any person, with any common sense, buy the "first year" of any new engine/body/etc.. of a new vehicle redesign?

Yeah it's cool to be the first kid on the block with the "new design" of something - but with the release of the ECO boost - there were some serious issues. Also when the gen2 ecoboost came out, same thing, more issues.

Same reason I waited a couple years to buy the 3.0 Duramax. Most of the bugs should be worked out by now.

It will be interesting to see how the first year or two of the new Toyota 6TT engines will be for reliability. Usually Toyota is pretty cautious and releases in one market first (for a few years) to test. This one, I believe, was not .....
The engine in the new Tundra comes from Lexus, and apparently is not an all new design.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Think a variation of it has been in the Lexus LS since 2017.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:33 PM

There have been issues with the tundra v6 turbo. Google 'tundra wastegate' and pick an article to read. Replacing the wastegate requires the cab to be removed. Vehicle is in the shop for an extended period.

Supposedly the problem is fixed, but I'd be waiting a couple of years. Let others be the guinea pigs.

I'd suffer the poor fuel economy of the 5.7L before I'd gamble on an unreliable vehicle.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:24 PM

So S&B does not currently carry tanks for Tundras. But have found a pretty detailed tank swap on IH8MUD.com website. Gives part #'s and everything required, but not sure I want to tackle this. May just live with what I have.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
So S&B does not currently carry tanks for Tundras. But have found a pretty detailed tank swap on IH8MUD.com website. Gives part #'s and everything required, but not sure I want to tackle this. May just live with what I have.
Can you post the link to the thread? I'm in the same boat as you with my 2013 Tundra. I always carry atleast a 20L gas can with me.