Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 03:58 PM

Default What roof to go with?

Moved into my first home a month and a bit ag, I bought the place knowing that it was in need of a little bit of work.

When I was cleaning the eavestroughs a couple days after moving in I noticed that I could see wood through some of the gaps of the shingles near the edges of the roof so I'm certain that I'll be dealing with some lumber replacement when the roof gets done which I was aware of beforehand anyways.

This is basically a starter home for me (single guy and a dog so I don't need a heck of a lot of space) but I do have a plan for the future to upgrade eventually when I find a better house that checks off more of the boxes than this one did and keep this as a rental property.

Lately I've been pondering if I should spring for a tin roof due to the long lasting aspect, but am having a hard time coming to a final decision, as far as having the home become a rental in the future it would be nice to have a roof that is 0 maintenance

Anyone have any input?

House is also in need of fascia boards and will be doing new eavestroughs and replacing the wood soffit with aluminum at the same time everything else gets done
Old 01-18-2022, 04:23 PM

First of all congrats man, starter home is better than no home. Good on you.

For me most any roof is better than shingles. But shingles is the norm. Pros and cons with every roof system. You got a few months to weight the pros, cons and especially price of each. Check with your local building code and see if they have any restrictions. Chances are they will as governments loves to be involve with everything in our lives. It's all for our own good (major sarcasm).
Old 01-18-2022, 04:34 PM

When we bought a few years ago, it was the same thing. Shingles need to be replaced within a year.

I did all the math, and ended up with a metal roof. Mine is a very easy roof though, with no valleys. Just straight runs, and two chimneys, with the normal roof vents.

Faster and cheaper to put up the metal roof than shingles. Only took 2 days and the third was spent with the finer chimney trims and gable trims.

I went direct to extruder for the purchase of the tin and saved the cost of the middle man.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:35 PM

I’m roof hunting as we speak, my IKO shingles have failed so here we go again.
Speaking w the roofer I have in mind he figures it is more complex w all the trims etc.. to go w tin.
I’ve found a fellow in Tabor that manufactures in house, tin and all the trim.
Cost for materials on a 2100 sq.ft Bungy and attached garage of about 900ft is about 7k for product.
Traditional shingles is about 10k all in.

I expect once dust settles that tin would be about double in cost vs shingles.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:40 PM

I'm also willing to bet that many roofers have never done anything but shingle roofs.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:43 PM
Banned

Arrow

Bought our latest 6 years ago.
Knew the roof would eventually have to be replaced.
Looking at being pre-emptive, we are doing so next year.
Going metal.
Durability time.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 01-18-2022, 04:44 PM

Put a metal roof on your house, last roof you will ever need, best thing I have ever done for my house.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarguy View Post
I'm also willing to bet that many roofers have never done anything but shingle roofs.
Yes I'd be sure to go with a company that has done metal roofs, I know there is one company locally that only does metal roofing but I can't seem to remember their name, have to think on that one
Old 01-18-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarguy View Post
First of all congrats man, starter home is better than no home. Good on you.

For me most any roof is better than shingles. But shingles is the norm. Pros and cons with every roof system. You got a few months to weight the pros, cons and especially price of each. Check with your local building code and see if they have any restrictions. Chances are they will as governments loves to be involve with everything in our lives. It's all for our own good (major sarcasm).
Thanks! It's a darn good feeling having my own place, what I say goes lol

Most people I talk to about it mention the noise of a metal roof when it rains, I for one love sleeping in my camper when it's raining so I can't see that being a problem
Old 01-18-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankon View Post
Moved into my first home a month and a bit ag, I bought the place knowing that it was in need of a little bit of work.

When I was cleaning the eavestroughs a couple days after moving in I noticed that I could see wood through some of the gaps of the shingles near the edges of the roof so I'm certain that I'll be dealing with some lumber replacement when the roof gets done which I was aware of beforehand anyways.

This is basically a starter home for me (single guy and a dog so I don't need a heck of a lot of space) but I do have a plan for the future to upgrade eventually when I find a better house that checks off more of the boxes than this one did and keep this as a rental property.

Lately I've been pondering if I should spring for a tin roof due to the long lasting aspect, but am having a hard time coming to a final decision, as far as having the home become a rental in the future it would be nice to have a roof that is 0 maintenance

Anyone have any input?

House is also in need of fascia boards and will be doing new eavestroughs and replacing the wood soffit with aluminum at the same time everything else gets done
Seeing that you are in Camrose give Command Roofing a call and see what Chad thinks. Not sure if he does metal roofing or not but I’ll vouch for his excellent service when he reshingled my house.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:08 PM

Call your insurance company and see if their is much difference in premiums between roof materials.

The piece of mind not worrying about hail damage is a bonus.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-18-2022, 06:31 PM

Default Roof

In Ft. Mac and Slave lake fires where large part of the town burnt, metal
roofs faired better. Possible home insurance rate differences also.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:39 PM

If you do end up going with shingles, I’d recommend Malarkey shingles. They are rated for hail and have a larger nailing area (so less prone to installing them incorrectly). Roofers will say they always nail them right but better safe than sorry. Great reviews on durability of those shingles as well.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:06 PM

As a former roofer I will be going sheet metal on my roof next time cost be darned. My present roof lasted about 6 years before staring to curl. (poorly installed by the Insurance companies "the cheaper they are the better we like them" roofers. Also insurance companies are now pro rating your shingled roofs so, if a hail storm comes through and your roof is 6 years old or so the pay out will be pittance.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:43 AM

25 years ago, we put a steel roof righ on top of the shingles that were starting to curl after only 8 years. Best home improvement we've ever made - never a problem since.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:23 AM

Default Snow

Only issue with my tin roof is when the snow unloads it happens real fast. I would not want to be under the eave when that happens you might not survive, it is a big shop though.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankon View Post

Anyone have any input?

Contact Sean 7802922458. Does excellent work. Lives on the north side of Michelon Lake
Old 01-19-2022, 06:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Given what you are asking and the intentions of the house down the road I would go with a good quality shingle, if this was your forever house metal.
Hope it works out for you.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
In Ft. Mac and Slave lake fires where large part of the town burnt, metal
roofs faired better. Possible home insurance rate differences also.
Tin roof don’t do you no good when the house underneath it is gone!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 AM

Default Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Tin roof don’t do you no good when the house underneath it is gone!
At Slave lake a person walked out of his house to look at the large smoke and try judge how far away the fire was. when he turned around, he saw his own
roof was starting to burn because of glowing cinders were falling on his shingles. The actual fire was still a 1/2 mile away.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
As a former roofer I will be going sheet metal on my roof next time cost be darned. My present roof lasted about 6 years before staring to curl. (poorly installed by the Insurance companies "the cheaper they are the better we like them" roofers. Also insurance companies are now pro rating your shingled roofs so, if a hail storm comes through and your roof is 6 years old or so the pay out will be pittance.
Metal roofing is also pro rated by the insurance companies. One thing many do not realize, the metal screws over time will work there way loose and need maintenance.

I personally do not like the look of metal roofing for residential, looks cheap like vinyl siding.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:55 AM

What the cost difference between the two? 25% or more for metal?

Can the old roof be strapped over the old shingles on an old roof?
Old 01-19-2022, 09:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Metal roofing is also pro rated by the insurance companies. One thing many do not realize, the metal screws over time will work there way loose and need maintenance.

I personally do not like the look of metal roofing for residential, looks cheap like vinyl siding.
Search images and you might like what you see....some of these metal roofs are amazing and if installed right like anything will outlast and give you no issues at all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2022, 09:22 AM

Metal roof install takes much less labour. The roof is good for 50 years so even if insurance wants to pro rate they will still need to cover most of the replacement cost.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Metal roof install takes much less labour. The roof is good for 50 years so even if insurance wants to pro rate they will still need to cover most of the replacement cost.
This is what I thought until I had a claim on two shops that took hail damage. Due to one of these shops only being 2 years old, the other around 10, I thought I may as well file a claim. I would never have filed this claim if I knew the out of pocket costs that I incurred. The roof on the house was redone at the same time for a fraction of the costs per square foot.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:06 AM

Metal roofs have come a long way since galvanized sheeting was the norm, some look so much like regular shingles you need to look twice to be sure.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:16 AM

I have been thinking about shingles vs metal for my house as well. When the time comes, I think I will be going with metal as well.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:22 AM

You will likely go metal so I will offer this. If your not a carpenter solicite some help. There is right and wrong way to install tin when laying it down. There is a receiving edge and a overlap edge on every sheet. You have to start the first sheet square with " the whole roof" not just with the ladder edge on one side. If you don't achieve square you will be cheating every sheet and it will " dog track" all the way to the other end. If you don't know how to do this find out before you start.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:49 AM

Long time reader first time poster here, figured I would finally post as metal roofing and cladding is the business, I’m in, though mostly commercial these days. What Sledhead said is probably one of the most overlooked aspects of exposed fastener metal roofing. The screws WILL back out especially on newer builds where the building is still settling, but even on older buildings as well. I advise all my customers to check the screws every couple years or so after the roof has been put on as I have seen some that have had some screws back almost halfway out within that time. It really is surprising how quickly they can back out. The screws are not a set it and forget type of thing, the rubber or neoprene washers do dry out or weather over time and will need to be replaced eventually depending on which way the house faces or depending if the roof gets any shade or not. As well over tightening the screws wrecks the washers leaving them susceptible to leaking. Exposed fastener metal roofs are not what people think they are, they don’t last forever, now a properly installed hidden fastener panel like a standing seam panel whether Snaplok or mechanical lock is a completely different animal, and truly is a lifetime roof when installed properly and is what I would do on a bigger nicer forever home.( And it looks much nicer)

No matter what you do, take the old shingles off, don’t strap over them, it’s a house not some old barn or shed. You want to inspect the actual roof underneath and see if there is any damage or rot and fix it properly if needed. And more importantly and the biggest reason for doing this is that you want to put a proper High temp underlayment designed for metal roofing on the entire roof.

As someone mentioned unless this is your forever home, which you said it isn’t, I would just shingle it (also put underlayment on before the shingles). You simply won’t recoup the cost before you sell it and if it is just a plain designed house, it can be difficult to make it look good with just a typical exposed roof panel, anyway.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:56 PM

If you do go for shingles you can always do the southern Alberta trick and have all of them tar tabbed. Add 1000$ easy but keeps things on in pincher creek. Few things about metal, exposed fasteners have a life expectancy of far less than a tin roof. The rubber washer dries out and disappears. It’s also something I don’t see mentioned often.

Personally if your going to shingle it, wait for some good weather in the summer take a week off and do it. Experienced shinglers do an amazing job but in my experience most roofers aren’t…. May as well take the risk of it looking bad for a lot cheaper.