Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Yes starter button randomly won’t work, pressed on the brake lightly and until it lifted me off the seat, all the instruments fire up as does the center consol and the heater fan works.
So we know the antennae sees your fob. We know the ignition switch works. So the problem is in the interlock circuit or start circuit. See, from that small amount of info we eliminated at least half the possible culprits. As many have said, brake switch, neutral safety, or ECM in the interlock. (I can’t think of anymore off my head, but a schematic would verify). Or the start circuit. So the relay or ECM. See if the start relay has a twin like say headlights or horn or something. Swap them. It’s easy to do. It’s not your job, but if it solves it, it’s well worth the effort.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Perhaps nudging the shifter to and fro during this no start condition while pressing the start button would tell you something about whether the proper contacts are being made internally.
Great idea, even going to neutral instead of park is worthwhile. It may be a different set of contacts.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Perhaps nudging the shifter to and fro during this no start condition while pressing the start button would tell you something about whether the proper contacts are being made internally.
Did That
Old 01-19-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Tried that, the brake switch, 4x4 shifter, hood switch etc
Old 01-19-2022, 07:42 PM

Not for you to diagnose or fix month old vehicle with no mileage. call a lawyer
Old 01-19-2022, 07:42 PM

I wonder if the starter solenoid is getting power when this happens? Never know, could be a bad starter or solenoid.

Not that you should have to crawl under it in the snow and ice and check it, the dealer hopefully will take care of it. I hope this gets ironed out for you soon!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes starter button randomly won’t work, pressed on the brake lightly and until it lifted me off the seat, all the instruments fire up as does the center consol and the heater fan works.
Thanks for responding When you say the starter button randomly doesn't work, does that mean when you push the button all the above DO NOT happen? Or do you mean, it just doesn't crank?

When you do push the button, all lights light up on the cluster, do you get that split second black out on the cluster, when the starter is actually supposed to crank?
If you send me your VIN, I just maybe able to get the wiring diagram for your Jeep starter circuit. If it is a 2021, I should be able to check. If it is a 2022, I have no information available yet
I applaud you patience
Old 01-19-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
So we know the antennae sees your fob. We know the ignition switch works. So the problem is in the interlock circuit or start circuit. See, from that small amount of info we eliminated at least half the possible culprits. As many have said, brake switch, neutral safety, or ECM in the interlock. (I can’t think of anymore off my head, but a schematic would verify). Or the start circuit. So the relay or ECM. See if the start relay has a twin like say headlights or horn or something. Swap them. It’s easy to do. It’s not your job, but if it solves it, it’s well worth the effort.
The ECM thinks the starter is being engaged because after a while of pushing the button a starter protection cool down mode is initiated
Old 01-19-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Thanks for responding When you say the starter button randomly doesn't work, does that mean when you push the button all the above DO NOT happen? Or do you mean, it just doesn't crank?

When you do push the button, all lights light up on the cluster, do you get that split second black out on the cluster, when the starter is actually supposed to crank?
If you send me your VIN, I just maybe able to get the wiring diagram for your Jeep starter circuit. If it is a 2021, I should be able to check. If it is a 2022, I have no information available yet
I applaud you patience
When it does fail the only thing that seems to not work is the starter, you can touch that button Hundred times and the starter does not engage or even try. Get some clicking from the passenger side under the dash. No split second black out. It’s 21, came off the truck on the 20th of December
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post
I wonder if the starter solenoid is getting power when this happens? Never know, could be a bad starter or solenoid.

Not that you should have to crawl under it in the snow and ice and check it, the dealer hopefully will take care of it. I hope this gets ironed out for you soon!
I’m also thinking it’s a bad starter or ground to starter.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger View Post
Not for you to diagnose or fix month old vehicle with no mileage. call a lawyer
Lol, it was 2 days old when I tried to return it
Old 01-19-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I’m also thinking it’s a bad starter or ground to starter.
They refuse to change the starter unless there is a code. Didn’t know a starter even threw a code. I asked them to change it.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 PM

It’s been there nine days, today they started to communicate with Chrysler engineers
Old 01-19-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
It’s been there nine days, today they started to communicate with Chrysler engineers
did they give you a loaner?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-19-2022, 08:37 PM

As soon as it runs, trade it in for a nice new Bronco.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
When it does fail the only thing that seems to not work is the starter, you can touch that button Hundred times and the starter does not engage or even try. Get some clicking from the passenger side under the dash. No split second black out. It’s 21, came off the truck on the 20th of December
Thanks, shoot me your VIN thanks
Old 01-19-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
We went for the bronco first, none available for 6 months
Old 01-19-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
They refuse to change the starter unless there is a code. Didn’t know a starter even threw a code. I asked them to change it.
That does sound goofy.
You are a better man than me. I’d have the service adviser upside down headfirst in a garbage can by now.

Last edited by IL Bar; 01-19-2022 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
That does sound goofy.
You are a better man than me. I’d have the service adviser upside down headfirst in a garbage can by now.
The adviser is not the problem. Above him
Old 01-19-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Lol, it was 2 days old when I tried to return it
Great advice and help from other members. Legal leverage should get you a new unit in my opinion. Wish you luck with this slimy dealer.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The ECM thinks the starter is being engaged because after a while of pushing the button a starter protection cool down mode is initiated
Starter relay, starter solenoid, or a ground (as mentioned by another) in the circuit is where I’m leaning after gleaning a little more info from you. See a small amount of info narrows the search again.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:50 PM

I had a tractor that would just shutoff for no reason. Would not throw a code and would start right after until one day it wouldn’t start. We found a loose ground wire in a splice pack in the wiring harness. Been good ever since.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Starter relay, starter solenoid, or a ground (as mentioned by another) in the circuit is where I’m leaning after gleaning a little more info from you. See a small amount of info narrows the search again.
I think that’s a reasonable starting place and is exactly what I asked then to change on Wednesday. I said change that and I’ll come pick it up. At least it was a step forward and if it happened again then that was eliminated. The answer was no by the service manager Roger. He did say he would discuss this with his team and get back to me but he never did. Third time he said he would call me back and did not.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I think that’s a reasonable starting place and is exactly what I asked then to change on Wednesday. I said change that and I’ll come pick it up. At least it was a step forward and if it happened again then that was eliminated. The answer was no by the service manager Roger. He did say he would discuss this with his team and get back to me but he never did. Third time he said he would call me back and did not.
Well that really sucks, like I mentioned some dealerships just give a brand name a bad wrap but this just falls on customer service.

Hope this works out for you but do share all about this dealership and the people that you dealt with to save another the heartache and headaches.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2022, 07:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Been eyeballing the badlands with the Sasquatch package....wait another year or so just to work out issues....it’s gotta get some real time evaluation.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2022, 08:54 AM

Default Chrysler not easy to deal with

Sorry to hear you are going through this. We had a 2011 Dodge Citadel that would just shut of with out warning while making a sharp turn intermitadely. My wife and myself had this happen many times, car would just shut down and have to be restarted. We would not make a turn into oncoming traffic unless there was more than ample room due to some close calls. Took the car into the dodge dealer and was told no code so nothing they could do. This continued to happen and we continued to take it in and no code showed. At one point the the shop foreman took the vehicle for a drive to see if it would happen and thankfully it did scaring the crap out of him, one back at the shop again no code. Chrysler did nothing to check what was wrong, happened to be a known issue that the front collision sensor would crap out during a turn, we asked for them to replace the sensor but due to no code we would have to fork out the $1200. They put in a recording device for a few days, happened the car shut down a few times during that test but nothing showed on the recording device as code or error. All in all they did nothing, we felt our lives were worth more than having the car and traded it in. Funny enough the car ended back at the lot where we were getting the service, after that and issue with my 2010 3500 ram have not gone back to dodge. Again good luck. Most places have a policy of 30 days/?? kilometer satisfaction, if it was taken in I would be pushing them to take the vehicle back. Check your sales agreement.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
Sorry to hear you are going through this. We had a 2011 Dodge Citadel that would just shut of with out warning while making a sharp turn intermitadely. My wife and myself had this happen many times, car would just shut down and have to be restarted. We would not make a turn into oncoming traffic unless there was more than ample room due to some close calls. Took the car into the dodge dealer and was told no code so nothing they could do. This continued to happen and we continued to take it in and no code showed. At one point the the shop foreman took the vehicle for a drive to see if it would happen and thankfully it did scaring the crap out of him, one back at the shop again no code. Chrysler did nothing to check what was wrong, happened to be a known issue that the front collision sensor would crap out during a turn, we asked for them to replace the sensor but due to no code we would have to fork out the $1200. They put in a recording device for a few days, happened the car shut down a few times during that test but nothing showed on the recording device as code or error. All in all they did nothing, we felt our lives were worth more than having the car and traded it in. Funny enough the car ended back at the lot where we were getting the service, after that and issue with my 2010 3500 ram have not gone back to dodge. Again good luck. Most places have a policy of 30 days/?? kilometer satisfaction, if it was taken in I would be pushing them to take the vehicle back. Check your sales agreement.
This blows my mind.
Even did it for the foreman. Such a life threatening fault and yet won’t help you.
Just wow.
I’ve never really been brand loyal, a good deal was a good deal to me and I’d buy whatever brand.
This story alone(plus the other story’s mentioned here) have steered me away from anything dodge/Chrysler/jeep.
Insane.
Should make the CEO’s wife drive that car for a month and see how that goes.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:39 AM

Man this upsets me. If you need, I'll take an afternoon off and encourage others.... I'll buy the beer. Get a dozen folks with signs and stand out front of the dealership. Maybe get some attention that way? Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:30 AM

call a tow truck and the media to watch your jeep get towed out of the dealership not running

that should liven things up

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-20-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
call a tow truck and the media to watch your jeep get towed out of the dealership not running

that should liven things up
haha this would get it replaced ASAP no questions asked.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife