Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 08:16 PM

Default A little story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Got call, they want me to pick it up, nothing attempted or replaced, Eddie the sales manager asked if we wanted to trade it in. Roger the service manager says no code no repair and they won’t change parts if there is no code..
Several years ago, a friend had purchased a 1 year old lease back Dodge Charger. The motor would randomly shut down on the highway. This happened several times, it was taken to the dealer each time with the usual request to fix it so it doesn't happen again. They basically did nothing for her, stating that there were no stored codes or any TSB's for that issue, and they were not able to replicate the problem in their shop. So she called me.
Took it for a drive with an Innova OBDII code reader hooked up. When the engine died the code reader had a code and a snapshot of the engine stats for both banks. Success! Right? Wrong.
Note: I disconnected the code reader so we would have that snapshot information available, on the code reader, for the tech, I did not clear the code.
Waited about 10 minutes for it to start again, then drove it straight back to the dealer service centre with the additional details. I spoke to the same service adviser, gave him the code, gave him all the engine stats for both banks; there was clearly an issue with one of the banks. The service tech brought the handheld diagnostic unit out and hooked it up in front of me. No stored codes...they wouldn't even take it in for further testing.
The service adviser and the tech told me that it was likely the crank position sensor failing, but they couldn't/wouldn't do anything until it completely failed and caused a code.
That is when I found out that dealership service centres backcharge the manufacturer for warranty work. But, they have to have either a documented OBDII code or a TSB for the problem, otherwise they don't get paid for the repair.
She traded it off the following week; the original dealer did nothing for her.

Back to your problem: if your Jeep is not storing a code, it may be that the computer doesn't see a fault because it doesn't know you are trying to start the vehicle without success. Because the ESS is not operating due to a bad auxiliary battery. No power to the ESS = no fault code.
Just a shot in the dark

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Several years ago, a friend had purchased a 1 year old lease back Dodge Charger. The motor would randomly shut down on the highway. This happened several times, it was taken to the dealer each time with the usual request to fix it so it doesn't happen again. They basically did nothing for her, stating that there were no stored codes or any TSB's for that issue, and they were not able to replicate the problem in their shop. So she called me.
Took it for a drive with an Innova OBDII code reader hooked up. When the engine died the code reader had a code and a snapshot of the engine stats for both banks. Success! Right? Wrong.
Note: I disconnected the code reader so we would have that snapshot information available, on the code reader, for the tech, I did not clear the code.
Waited about 10 minutes for it to start again, then drove it straight back to the dealer service centre with the additional details. I spoke to the same service adviser, gave him the code, gave him all the engine stats for both banks; there was clearly an issue with one of the banks. The service tech brought the handheld diagnostic unit out and hooked it up in front of me. No stored codes...they wouldn't even take it in for further testing.
The service adviser and the tech told me that it was likely the crank position sensor failing, but they couldn't/wouldn't do anything until it completely failed and caused a code.
That is when I found out that dealership service centres backcharge the manufacturer for warranty work. But, they have to have either a documented OBDII code or a TSB for the problem, otherwise they don't get paid for the repair.
She traded it off the following week; the original dealer did nothing for her.

Back to your problem: if your Jeep is not storing a code, it may be that the computer doesn't see a fault because it doesn't know you are trying to start the vehicle without success. Because the ESS is not operating due to a bad auxiliary battery. No power to the ESS = no fault code.
Just a shot in the dark
I’ll see if they checked that when they call to ask why I didn’t pick it up
Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
You're correct about this We all count on codes to help diagnose issues. When the computer goes bad, it very rarely gives a code for ITSELF !!! Remind you of anyone??
Yep, and ECMs only monitor the control side of switches and relays too. I can’t even begin to count the number of warranty issues I deal with that produce no code. I think Paul Harvey may need to tell us…. the rest of the story.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Yep, and ECMs only monitor the control side of switches and relays too. I can’t even begin to count the number of warranty issues I deal with that produce no code. I think Paul Harvey may need to tell us…. the rest of the story.
So without a code how do you get paid
Old 01-17-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
So without a code how do you get paid
I report the part number of the part causing failure. I explain the failure. The damage caused by the failure (if applicable). The SIMS/SMCS code for the factory to track failures for part replacement or improvement.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I report the part number of the part causing failure. I explain the failure. The damage caused by the failure (if applicable). The SIMS/SMCS code for the factory to track failures for part replacement or improvement.
How do you find the failure if there is no code
Old 01-17-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
How do you find the failure if there is no code
Follow the symptoms. In your situation it can be very hard. When you have an intermittent problem and it is not having the problem during testing it’s a real pain to solve. See if the problem was replicated I can test a wire or circuit and find an issue like a short or an open. When it’s not happening I have to interview you and glean as much pertinent info I can. Like RandyBoBandy was doing with you. Once I know what is operating and what isn’t I can narrow the search down to a handful of connectors and wires as opposed to hundreds. Once I have checked connectors and harnesses to the best of my ability then I have to replace a likely culprit and have you take it again and honestly hope for the best. If I’m right we are both happy. If I’m wrong it’s one more thing I know it’s not. I will also hope that the problem will become less intermittent, or “have the problem develop”. That will allow me to test the numerous circuits for the actual problem.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:53 PM

Warranty doesn't pay to throw parts at the vehicle. They want the failed component.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Warranty doesn't pay to throw parts at the vehicle. They want the failed component.

I’ve never had an issue. If I claim an extra ignition switch, relay, or reasonable parts they will pay when the problem is solved. If I start with an engine, then entire harness, then all the ECMs and find a bad relay you bet they aren’t going to pay. As I said though, reasonable parts with a properly written service report will get consideration from warranty reps. If you paint a picture and explain why you had to throw a part or two at it they will pay. Also changing a $67 sensor is many times cheaper than testing it at $180 an hour. Warranty will definitely let me throw parts if it saves them money as well. Once again though, you better write a proper SR.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yep, and ECMs only monitor the control side of switches and relays too. I can’t even begin to count the number of warranty issues I deal with that produce no code.
Exactly my point.

Quote:
Also changing a $67 sensor is many times cheaper than testing it...
Also note that the $67 sensor probably only costs them less than $20...

Anyway, hope you get things resolved.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I’ve never had an issue. If I claim an extra ignition switch, relay, or reasonable parts they will pay when the problem is solved. If I start with an engine, then entire harness, then all the ECMs and find a bad relay you bet they aren’t going to pay. As I said though, reasonable parts with a properly written service report will get consideration from warranty reps. If you paint a picture and explain why you had to throw a part or two at it they will pay. Also changing a $67 sensor is many times cheaper than testing it at $180 an hour. Warranty will definitely let me throw parts if it saves them money as well. Once again though, you better write a proper SR.
I've never really had an issue either. Through basic troubleshooting and a little thinking I've usually always had the customer fixed up and no issue's from warranty. But I'm not talking about me, or even you. I'm talking about 95% of the mechanics I've worked with.

From my experience, they need the computer plugged in to tell them what to do. And that actually is how these vehicles are these days. I've always said when hiring a mechanic, you need the one that was putting lawnmower engines in 10 speeds as a kid. Not the guy that slacked off his whole life and can't get a job anywhere else so he figured he'd be a stupid mechanic.

Warranty doesn't pay shop rate. So your dealership isn't making as much as a customer pay job. And the mechanic keeps hitting his computer saying "come on baby" doesn't tell him what's wrong.

They don't know what's wrong with the OPs vehicle and they're not interested in working for free to figure it out.

It's a crappy situation. Don't you have 30 days to bring a vehicle back if you're not satisfied with it? Maybe that was an old courtesy.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I've never really had an issue either. Through basic troubleshooting and a little thinking I've usually always had the customer fixed up and no issue's from warranty. But I'm not talking about me, or even you. I'm talking about 95% of the mechanics I've worked with.

From my experience, they need the computer plugged in to tell them what to do. And that actually is how these vehicles are these days. I've always said when hiring a mechanic, you need the one that was putting lawnmower engines in 10 speeds as a kid. Not the guy that slacked off his whole life and can't get a job anywhere else so he figured he'd be a stupid mechanic.

Warranty doesn't pay shop rate. So your dealership isn't making as much as a customer pay job. And the mechanic keeps hitting his computer saying "come on baby" doesn't tell him what's wrong.

They don't know what's wrong with the OPs vehicle and they're not interested in working for free to figure it out.

It's a crappy situation. Don't you have 30 days to bring a vehicle back if you're not satisfied with it? Maybe that was an old courtesy.

I've been looking for a good used vehicle specifically a car that wasn't going to break the bank. I went to numerous dealers to look at the used cars, finally decided on 3, O offered 500.00 less then the asking price to see who would bite, not 1 , I then offered 100.00 off asking price, everyone of them stuck to the final asking price. I decided I was going to buy private, I finally found one after 6 weeks of searching.

I think it's fair to say customer service isn't what it used to be. Dealers used to care about the customer, codes or no codes, the customer can't fix the issues nor should he/she have to. For service departments to take the attitude "we can't help you" was a non starter at one time.

The OP is correct, why should this be his problem. Hope it gets resolved to his satisfaction.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
You only need extended warranty for the electrical after the bumper to bumper is over, it is not covered in the drive train warranty.
Bacon stated a new jeep purchased and the electrical required another warranty. He did not say it was out of the bumper to bumper ..... that is how I took this and hence my reply.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:23 AM

What a frustrating problem. Could you imagine when shopping for a new vehicle if the salesman said to you “ don’t worry, if you have any problems with your new jeep we can try to fix it for you, you know, if we can. No promises, but we can probably take a look”
Old 01-18-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Bacon stated a new jeep purchased and the electrical required another warranty. He did not say it was out of the bumper to bumper ..... that is how I took this and hence my reply.
My nephew bought a 2021 jeep I believe. He said he got the extended warranty and I asked him why. The salesman said some electrical isn't covered under warranty. He said if your touch screen goes out in a week from now it's expensive and not covered. I thought that was kind of silly.

I'm not sure if the starting circuit falls under the same silliness or not. I'm just going by what me nephew was told.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
My nephew bought a 2021 jeep I believe. He said he got the extended warranty and I asked him why. The salesman said some electrical isn't covered under warranty. He said if your touch screen goes out in a week from now it's expensive and not covered. I thought that was kind of silly.

I'm not sure if the starting circuit falls under the same silliness or not. I'm just going by what me nephew was told.

The extended warranty applies after the 3 year number to bumper or 60k, power train warranty is 5 years or 100 k if there was no electrical warranty in the bumper to bumper then they would not be working on my jeep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54A1F6B3-25CE-4954-99B4-138C9D96D1CD.jpg (16.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 01-18-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:

These outfits are all pulling this guilt trip on warranty. Last week I researched 4tb hard drives and Memory Express had them 40% off.

Sales guy recommended I buy the warranty and I politely declined-he droned on to say I only had 15 days to see if they worked and then I would have to deal with Seagate in the US.

Told the guy Ive shopped with brick and mortar MEX because they source proven tech and have good pricing and service, "maybe I should shop on Amazon in the future"???

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 01-18-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:

The most likely explanation is he got lied to and screwed.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I don't disagree.

And I believe the same thing is happening to the OP.

I think one of the reasons to purchase a new vehicle is to have a few worry free years of driving. You hear more often now that this isn't the case.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
The stealership employee that writes up the extended warranty gets a stack o'cash out of the deal. Upwards of 30% of the premium is paid out directly to the employee. That is why they push it so hard, to the point of outright lying.

Cash in their pocket, and bragging rights for reeling in another fish.
None of the extended warranties offer as much coverage as they claim at the time of purchase; although manufacturers extended warranties are still better than third party warranties. Avoid third party warranty offers at all costs.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-18-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Absolutely 110% INCORRECT.

OP- I am dealer principal at a Dodge dealership. Pm me and I will light fires for you.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
Absolutely 110% INCORRECT.

OP- I am dealer principal at a Dodge dealership. Pm me and I will light fires for you.
I did pm you
Old 01-19-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
OK, I'll bite
The starter button won't work. Your foot is very very firmly pressing on the brake pedal, correct?
When you push the starter button, do ALL the instrument cluster lights fire up?? or do you have NADDA lighting up??
Look forward to your answers
Or just PM me
Yes starter button randomly won’t work, pressed on the brake lightly and until it lifted me off the seat, all the instruments fire up as does the center consol and the heater fan works.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:51 PM

Any chance it thinks it is in gear and is locking out the starter
Old 01-19-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
Are you referring to holding the FOB against the start button or pressing all the fuses and relays in?
On the JL forum the loose fuse issue is extremely common. I too just bought a JL in November and when I checked the fuses and relays, sure enough, half of them were NOT fully seated.
After reading some threads online I opened mine up and sure enough they all seamed to be seated half way down.
A couple months ago I opened up my fuse box and pressed all mine down.

My wrangler JL rubicon hasn't had any issues and i've put 85,000km on it so far Knock on wood

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-19-2022, 05:06 PM

When I mention no issues as of right since i've purchased it is because my service department at Southtown Chrysler have taken very good care of me.

Any issues that arises got resolved right away. I've had my navigation system replaced and all my doors repainted due to aluminium door panels and steel hinges conflicting with each other which caused my door hinges to corrode and rust.
They have replaced my back window once.
r=Replaced my steering wheel once due to the stitching coming loose and unravelling
Replaced the leather on my back seats once.

Not once did I get the "oh that's not covered under warranty excuse" My extended warranty on my jeep i'm pretty sure I got my moneys worth.

Ford dealership did this to me on my f150 when I bought extended warranty. All repairs and replacements still came out of my pocket.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-19-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Any chance it thinks it is in gear and is locking out the starter
Oh it may think that but that’s not how it was
Old 01-19-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
After reading some threads online I opened mine up and sure enough they all seamed to be seated half way down.
A couple months ago I opened up my fuse box and pressed all mine down.

My wrangler JL rubicon hasn't had any issues and i've put 85,000km on it so far Knock on wood
I asked if they checked this and he said, “I think so”
Old 01-19-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
When I mention no issues as of right since i've purchased it is because my service department at Southtown Chrysler have taken very good care of me.

Any issues that arises got resolved right away. I've had my navigation system replaced and all my doors repainted due to aluminium door panels and steel hinges conflicting with each other which caused my door hinges to corrode and rust.
They have replaced my back window once.
r=Replaced my steering wheel once due to the stitching coming loose and unravelling
Replaced the leather on my back seats once.

Not once did I get the "oh that's not covered under warranty excuse" My extended warranty on my jeep i'm pretty sure I got my moneys worth.

Ford dealership did this to me on my f150 when I bought extended warranty. All repairs and replacements still came out of my pocket.
I’m ok with giving them a going over but they never ever said it wasn’t covered. They just said they don’t know what’s wrong with it
Old 01-19-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Oh it may think that but that’s not how it was
Perhaps nudging the shifter to and fro during this no start condition while pressing the start button would tell you something about whether the proper contacts are being made internally.