Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 08:20 PM

Default Bought a brand new jeep that won’t run now what

Thoughts on this please. I bought a brand new Sahara 4 door jeep on Dec 22 from Courtesy Chrysler. On Dec 24 the starter button would not work so it was down until the 27 when they opened again. They could not get a code so they said they could not fix it. It had 130 kms on it so I asked for a new jeep. They told me I bought it, I own it. So I took it home. 4 more times it left me stranded since then and in a month I have only been able to drive it for 5 days. They refuse to replace the jeep. It’s been at courtesy for the last 6 days and they still don’t know what’s wrong with it. I would appreciate some advise on the next possible steps please. I don’t need stuff like it’s a jeep what did you expect, or shudda bought a chev please. Thx
Old 01-16-2022, 08:29 PM

Pretty sure in your owners manual should be a booklet on consumer rights for lemons. The 3 new vehicles I’ve bought all included them. In short it’s still under warranty so yah you have them by the short curlys. Maybe try a different dealer?
Old 01-16-2022, 08:30 PM

Default Jeep

Contact Chrysler Canada
AMVIC
BBB
You should be provided with a rental or courtesy car until it’s fixed.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Pretty sure in your owners manual should be a booklet on consumer rights for lemons. The 3 new vehicles I’ve bought all included them. In short it’s still under warranty so yah you have them by the short curlys. Maybe try a different dealer?
Canvap is the dealer watch dog for lemons and Chrysler is the only major dealer that is not covered by them. I called corporate Chrysler Canada so they called Courtesy and were told that they would not discuss it with them and would only talk to their customer. And that’s a failure up till now
Old 01-16-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Contact Chrysler Canada
AMVIC
BBB
You should be provided with a rental or courtesy car until it’s fixed.
That’s the thing, they say they can’t fix it unless it throws a code, which it won’t.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:35 PM

https://www.canadadrives.ca/blog/car...defective-cars

There is some direction you can take in the article, follow the link.

Personally I'd park it outside of the dealership with a big sign and get on the news...call consumer affairs...report them to the better business bureau, picket them, make them look like the pieces of bull droppings they are.

Good luck getting it sorted out, stories like this kinda make me angry.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
https://www.canadadrives.ca/blog/car...defective-cars

There is some direction you can take in the article, follow the link.

Personally I'd park it outside of the dealership with a big sign and get on the news...call consumer affairs...report them to the better business bureau, picket them, make them look like the pieces of bull droppings they are.

Good luck getting it sorted out, stories like this kinda make me angry.
I’m angry too, im out 60,000$
Old 01-16-2022, 08:45 PM

I thought VW was ignorant to deal with. My best advice is lawyer up, and have them contact the general manager. Dealerships. So scummy. Whoever named it Courtesy must have really been feeling the Satire that day. Sorry about your difficulties, trust me, I've been through it with VW. I did finally get a degree of satisfaction from them, and several more degrees from crucifying them on every review page I could. Do that *after* you get the issue resolved, if you do it before they figure there is no reason at all to do the right thing. Bottom line is it is under warranty, and just because it doesn't throw a code means nothing. Problem, fix it.

Good luck.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-16-2022, 08:52 PM

They gave it to their technician to drive home at night to try to duplicate the problem which I stopped because I have no idea who this person is or if my insurance even covers him. I showed then videos of what it does as well as pictures of dash messages. Still nothing is done.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:55 PM

Default Warranty

There should be a section in your warranty book reguarding their responsibilities in the event your vehicle is inoperable, and providing you with a rental. If it starts costing them money, they might try a little harder. Also as suggested above, maybe have a lawyer send them a letter about your issues, with their poor service.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:57 PM

https://www.amvic.org/

Try AMVIC, they're supposed to be the ones who deal with crap like this in Alberta.

Quote:
Who needs an AMVIC licence?

Sales including new, used and RV, lease, service/repair, agents/brokers, consignment and wholesale automotive businesses are legally required to be licensed by AMVIC. All automotive salespeople, including anyone who negotiates, solicits or concludes a sale on behalf of a licensed business must be registered with AMVIC.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:03 PM

My Daughter and her husband bought a Lemon flavoured Ford Exploder from a “dealer” and after a year constant repairs she called Amvic and she not only got her money back but a good chunk of the repairs.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:07 PM
AO Sponsor

If you google this, seems like a common complaint. What a pain man… I hope it gets resolved for you!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-16-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
They gave it to their technician to drive home at night to try to duplicate the problem which I stopped because I have no idea who this person is or if my insurance even covers him. I showed then videos of what it does as well as pictures of dash messages. Still nothing is done.
From a technician side or mechanic whatever you want to call me If I'm willing to try and duplicate your problem and you don't want to let me do that then what should I do?

You can video, voice record , all is useless at the best of times. Really doesn't help most of the time. I don't doubt what's happening, just isn't useful.

Insurance is on dealer when fixing a vehicle.

I have taken many vehicles home, driven multiple times to duplicate and fix. Been stranded a few times as well.

They are willing to try, you won't let them?
Old 01-16-2022, 09:15 PM

Default Jeep won't start

my Rubicon did the same thing, found out that some of the relays and fuses in the fuse holder were not seated properly. They reseated them and no issues. when it does not start take the end of the fob with the button for releasing the key and push the end against the start button. built into the pcm will allow it to start. hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:20 PM

I worked on a late model f350 2020 with push button start. It was very erratic in when it would not crank. At first it never failed to start for me. Owner took it and had it towed back the following week as it would no longer crank for him. On the friday I went out to it and it cranked and started and moved it to a different spot on the lot as it was booked in for me to work on it Monday. I went out to it Monday and guess what, no crank. Everything powers up but the signal for crank is not working. Breaking it down to just the circuits involved in powering the crank relay coil I found one of the circuits had high resistance. I could detect 12 volts on it but it would not light my test lamp. I never located the fault as it was somewhere in the harness between the fuse box under the hood and the BCM (body chassis module). I ran an overlay wire, problem solved.
For them to say it needs to throw a code is ridiculous. If it doesn't crank when pushing the button it's either in the circuits for the button, possibly the brake pedal or the module receiving the signals. This is the point where you find a good dealership tech, they are out there. Could be just a connector not fully seated. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhl View Post
my Rubicon did the same thing, found out that some of the relays and fuses in the fuse holder were not seated properly. They reseated them and no issues. when it does not start take the end of the fob with the button for releasing the key and push the end against the start button. built into the pcm will allow it to start. hope this helps.
Thx but tryed that
Old 01-16-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
From a technician side or mechanic whatever you want to call me If I'm willing to try and duplicate your problem and you don't want to let me do that then what should I do?

You can video, voice record , all is useless at the best of times. Really doesn't help most of the time. I don't doubt what's happening, just isn't useful.

Insurance is on dealer when fixing a vehicle.

I have taken many vehicles home, driven multiple times to duplicate and fix. Been stranded a few times as well.

They are willing to try, you won't let them?
Willing to try at my expense. I paid cash for a new jeep that I have used for 5 days out of a month, no loaner, no nothing just me having to keep returning it and having someone pick me up everytime. If he takes it home and is not using it for personal use then it gets started at the lot for him to go home then again in the morning to come to work. The same thing if they tried to start it at night before they go home and again when they come in the morning without him taking it home. You’d think different if you were out a vehicle for month I bet.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:10 PM

Have you read this?

https://www.wheels.ca/news/canadas-h...-know-existed/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-16-2022, 10:12 PM

Also this

https://ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca02998.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-16-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I’ll give ‘em a read, thx
Old 01-16-2022, 10:15 PM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...-the-contract/

Another.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Thx but tryed that
Are you referring to holding the FOB against the start button or pressing all the fuses and relays in?
On the JL forum the loose fuse issue is extremely common. I too just bought a JL in November and when I checked the fuses and relays, sure enough, half of them were NOT fully seated.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:56 PM

No comment on getting satisfaction from the stealership, they are all greasy.
It seems that the JL's have a history of not starting properly since 2018. Besides a couple owners that solved the problem by stepping on the brake pedal harder when starting, the common denominator for many JL's is a bad auxiliary battery. It controls the ESS (electronic start-stop) function. Even though yours is brand new, if the auxiliary is bad, or has a bad connection, it could be the source of your problem.
These 3 threads on the jlwranglerforum might provide some ideas. Note the comments by member Rhinebeck01.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...rst-try.78320/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...r-flare.56807/

This thread has some useful diagrams on the first page. I never read any further.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-bypass.17293/

Question- How do find a group of Jeeps out on the trail?
Answer- Wait until dark, then look for the glow of the check engine lights in the sky.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-16-2022, 11:02 PM

Crazy stuff! Sorry to hear.

From what I understand, they must provide you with a vehicle for the time yours is being fixed, if it’s any extended period of time. My sister bought a Subaru Legacy in… probably the end of 2018. Had some fairly minor problems with it, but all has been taken care of (more or less) and she was always provided another vehicle in the mean time. Then, in early 2020, she had another problem, I don’t recall what it was, and she took it in. They didn't have the part. Then covid hit and all that came with it in the beginning. She ended up driving their vehicle for over 4 months (maybe over 5 even)! When she got her car back, she discovered that there was “something wrong” with the brakes. The brakes all rusted up while the car was sitting at the dealership. They replaced all 4 rotors and all pads at their expense and she got to drive their vehicle for another two or so weeks. That was in Ontario though. I would think there must be some similar rules here in Alberta as well.

Again, sorry to hear, mate. Hope you get sorted and soon.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4u View Post
I worked on a late model f350 2020 with push button start. It was very erratic in when it would not crank. At first it never failed to start for me. Owner took it and had it towed back the following week as it would no longer crank for him. On the friday I went out to it and it cranked and started and moved it to a different spot on the lot as it was booked in for me to work on it Monday. I went out to it Monday and guess what, no crank. Everything powers up but the signal for crank is not working. Breaking it down to just the circuits involved in powering the crank relay coil I found one of the circuits had high resistance. I could detect 12 volts on it but it would not light my test lamp. I never located the fault as it was somewhere in the harness between the fuse box under the hood and the BCM (body chassis module). I ran an overlay wire, problem solved.
For them to say it needs to throw a code is ridiculous. If it doesn't crank when pushing the button it's either in the circuits for the button, possibly the brake pedal or the module receiving the signals. This is the point where you find a good dealership tech, they are out there. Could be just a connector not fully seated. Good luck.
Agreed 100%. That is precisely what I was thinking. It’s a complicated system that runs switches, but in the end it’s all just switches, even the ECMs for that matter. Within the entirety of the start circuit what is the last switch that did work and which is the first not working? Let’s look somewhere in that vicinity.

TO THE OP
You are dealing with a lazy service dept.

I know you don’t want to hear about buying a chev or what not; but you shoulda kept the CJ5. 😀

I hope you know I’m kidding. Good luck to you.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
They refuse to replace the jeep. It’s been at courtesy for the last 6 days and they still don’t know what’s wrong with it. I would appreciate some advise on the next possible steps please. I don’t need stuff like it’s a jeep what did you expect, or shudda bought a chev please. Thx
Unfortunately I don’t imagine there’s a good chance of you getting your money back. There’s a reason Fiat bailed on CAMVAP, they got sick of losing arbitrations.

First thing I think I’d do is contact the company that owns the dealership, Auto Canada. https://www.autocan.ca/

I’d also try another dealers, you might find somebody that has a clue.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:43 AM

Dodge has some real issues with service. I thought it really said something when Ford and Chev had low inventory but the dodge lot was full of ram 1500s. It’s a shame because I have always liked ram trucks. My first truck was a dodge also my last.
In the city I live in the Ford service is very highly regarded and that’s why I chose a Ford. All the manufacturers can throw lemons.
Very frustrating and I feel for you. Especially if it is a common problem with that model and they don’t fix it. Their was a guy who walked up and down the street with a sign till his truck got fixed at the one Dodge dealership.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Canvap is the dealer watch dog for lemons and Chrysler is the only major dealer that is not covered by them. I called corporate Chrysler Canada so they called Courtesy and were told that they would not discuss it with them and would only talk to their customer. And that’s a failure up till now

That makes a person wonder, and it would definitely be a factor for me when vehicle shopping.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:53 AM

It’s also advisable to leave them a ****ty Google review. I’ve had to do that at 2 businesses. It tends to get the owners attention pretty quick.