Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 09:17 AM

Default Leica Ultravid 10x42 Binoculars

So I saw a used pair of these online at a well known store. Condition rated as “very good”, and for $1300. They are not the “HD” version, so not sure of age.

Am I correct in thinking the new price for this model would have been around $2100 ish?

$1300 is a good deal? Should I be jumping on these?

I’ve never owned Leica before, but have been wanting to buy a 10x42 set for some time, as I’m currently using some old leupold 8 power Mojave’s.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 10:54 AM

Leica are excellent glass, they also have excellent service. Have only used it once, McBaions sent my Duovids for repair as the focus isn't working right and glass is not crystal clear like it was. Covered under warranty no problem.

That said, I would not pay 1,300 for used Ultavids that are not HD. I would for the HDs but that is really quite high for the old model. If you do a lot of looking you can probably find new HDs for 1,800. Last set I got for a buddy were Ultravid HD 8x40 I ordered from a Leica dealer out of Amsterdam off Ebay. They were $1850 CDN plus 50 bucks shipping. They were blowing them out as the HD-Plus has just been released.

Also, talk to Bob at McBains on 107St Edm. He has excellent prices for AO members on new glass. Not sure if they sell used.

Very quick search found this

Leica Ultravid 8 x 42 HD Plus Binoculars Model 40093 Black - New in Box
Popular Item 1 watched in last 24 hours
1 product rating
Item Information
Condition:
Open box

“Was a store display model. Original box includes case, comfort neckstrap, lens caps, rainguard, lens ” ... Read more
Price:
US $1,999.99
Buy It Now
Add to cart
Add to Watchlist
Shipping:
$53.35 USPS Priority Mail International | See details
International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.
Shipping help - opens a layer

Located in:
Glastonbury, Connecticut, United States
Delivery:
Estimated between Tue. Feb. 1 and Thu. Feb. 24
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment
- opens in a new window or tab
Estimated delivery date help - opens a layer
Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 5 business days.
Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing.
Returns:
Seller does not accept returns | See details

LEICA Noctivid 8x42 Green Binocular (40386)
2 product ratings
Item Information
Condition:
Open box

“The product looks like new, the package is not damaged.”
Quantity:
2 available
Price:
US $1,970.32
Buy It Now
Add to cart
Add to Watchlist
7 watchers
Shipping:
May not ship to Canada - Read item description or contact seller for shipping options. | See details

Located in:
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
Delivery:
Varies
Returns:
Seller does not accept returns | See details

Last edited by Dean2; 01-22-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:17 AM

Ok, thanks for your input. I think I’ll hold
off on these, as per your advice. I wasn’t sure if this was a fair price or not, and I appreciate you lending your opinion.

I’ve noticed sometimes I can find NIB ziess conquest HD 10x42 for around $1200 ish, but some of the reviews regarding the eye cups are poor.

So I guess it may best to buy new Leica or Swarovski. Inexpensive for a lifetime item, I suppose.

PS - I was also thinking about just going with the Leupold BX 4 pro guide, which are around the $900 range, however the same model a couple years ago was $750. So I don’t think I would be really getting the value for dollar out of them?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Ok, thanks for your input. I think I’ll hold
off on these, as per your advice. I wasn’t sure if this was a fair price or not, and I appreciate you lending your opinion.

I’ve noticed sometimes I can find NIB ziess conquest HD 10x42 for around $1200 ish, but some of the reviews regarding the eye cups are poor.

So I guess it may best to buy new Leica or Swarovski. Inexpensive for a lifetime item, I suppose.

PS - I was also thinking about just going with the Leupold BX 4 pro guide, which are around the $900 range, however the same model a couple years ago was $750. So I don’t think I would be really getting the value for dollar out of them?

Thanks

I have bought lots of used Leica and Swaro etc. Nothing at all wrong with that, just need to be the right price. I have one set of lightly used Duovids I bought for a buddy that wanted a set like mine, bought them out of New York. They were 1500 CAN all in. New they are over $3600.

I am a big believer in Alpha glass but you pay a LOT for only relatively small improvements. If I was looking to get great glass at a much cheaper price check out the Mavens. They aren't Leica, and new they cost near what good used Leica do, so in my books ued Leica is a better deal, but it does give you options.

You definitely want to go do a lot of side by side comparison looking through glass before dropping bg money. Leica suits my eye perfect, I have a couple of buddies who see far better with Swaro. No two people have the same eyes so it really is about what works for you.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:41 AM

Had 8x42 for 20 years. Excellent glass.