Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 12:49 PM

Default Anyone has build there own camper

Hello All,
I am thinking to build my own tear drop 4 person camping trailer i did look for the rules and regulation but could find a lot of information, is any one here on the forum has build one, will be great if some one post the information and concertation before i start my project.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2022, 01:26 PM

I am seriously looking into an Econoline 4x4 conversion, and finishing the interior. A local gal here is leasing a fleet of Jeep Rubicons outfitted with top tents.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:44 PM

A guy up the road built a really cool rig on a flat deck trailer. There is a couple of changes I would make but overall it looks like a very inexpensive way to check off all of the boxes. It has lots of room for quads and/or game and a small cabin.

I wondered about the legalities of building one but after seeing travel trailers literally fly to pieces when they hit the ditch it should not be difficult to reach those standards???
Old 01-20-2022, 01:45 PM

I been watching lots of YouTube and it looks i can do it but i am not sure about the rules and regulation registration and insurance, I am looking to build single axle trailer then build the camper on it.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:26 PM

I built a teardrop 2 years ago. The registration stuff was all really easy. Just make it sure it has the necessary lights and get the guy in to give it a vin. Assignedvin.ca to get the vin
Old 01-20-2022, 02:33 PM

I’ve been dreaming of a custom toy hauler for years. Problem is it will be heavy.
My uncle built a side in. He got some thin aluminum to cover it. It was great.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:38 PM

I bought a 7x16 enclosed cargo trailer spring of 2021. Insulated the roof and walls w/R5 & 7 from Lowes; installed a roof vent and side window, Installed a power centre, 2x6v batteries in floor, wired for shore power, generator and 6v batteries, lights thru-out as well as 2 spots on the back and one on the mandoor, installed rv furnace and propane also wired for an ac unit should I need one, installed 1/4" panel board on roof and walls and moulding to cover the seams. built upper cabinets, lower cabinets and storage as well as a counter at the v-nose. Only thing left to do is insulate the floor which I plan to do in the spring using a spray foam kit form Lowes.
Use the trailer to haul the side x side to the backcountry and then we camp in the trailer. Also used it to hunt out of Sept 27-Oct 3rd.

We use one of those pop-up pantries from Costco sitting on the counter, I have a porta-potty for the better half, 3-burner camp stove w/BBQ attachment. Easily fit 2 queen beds in the there to sleep on, flip one up on top of the other for room during the day. We had to sit inside to have coffee due to a flash rain storm. Furnace is over-sized which dries cloths fast and keeps you toasty. I got pretty rushed so not happy with some of my handy work so will be re-doing some of the finishing work. I like to say I'm a good finishing carpenter...once I am done with the axe and chainsaw...its pretty much finished

I really anted an 8 or 8.5 x 18. Lots of manufacturers on min staffing due to covid and not real popular size i couldnt get one. If I do it again...definitely go 8.5. I would consider even going 20' long

Last edited by Mastercaller; 01-20-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercaller View Post
I bought a 7x16 enclosed cargo trailer spring of 2021. Insulated the roof and walls w/R5 & 7 from Lowes; installed a roof vent and side window, Installed a power centre, 2x6v batteries in floor, wired for shore power, generator and 6v batteries, lights thru-out as well as 2 spots on the back and one on the mandoor, installed rv furnace and propane also wired for an ac unit should I need one, installed 1/4" panel board on roof and walls and moulding to cover the seams. built upper cabinets, lower cabinets and storage as well as a counter at the v-nose. Only thing left to do is insulate the floor which I plan to do in the spring using a spray foam kit form Lowes.

Use the trailer to haul the side x side to the backcountry and then we camp in the trailer. Also used it to hunt out of Sept 27-Oct 3rd.

We use one of those pop-up pantries from Costco sitting on the counter, I have a porta-potty for the better half, 3-burner camp stove w/BBQ attachment. Easily fit 2 queen beds in the there to sleep on, flip one up on top of the other for room during the day. We had to sit inside to have coffee due to a flash rain storm. Furnace is over-sized which dries cloths fast and keeps you toasty. I got pretty rushed so not happy with some of my handy work so will be re-doing some of the finishing work. I like to say I'm a good finishing carpenter...once I am done with the axe and chainsaw...its pretty much finished

I really anted an 8 or 8.5 x 18. Lots of manufacturers on min staffing due to covid and not real popular size i couldnt get one. If I do it again...definitely go 8.5. I would consider even going 20' long
Neat project. I like how you only need to take 1 trip. To take our side by side and camper we need 2 trips or 2 vehicles. Sure I could get a toy hauler but we're already set up.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2022, 03:59 PM

did a 2009 gmc short bus last year for a family trip to sask worked great fun pulled a 27 foot behind it . i do have a 2007 short bus if anyone is interested 145000km
Old 01-20-2022, 04:08 PM

I've actually built quite a few over my life time . It's not like building a house, you're weight conscious with everything you do and the thing has to go down the road without falling apart. I've always had a hankering to build one like the big boys out of FRP, fibreglass reinforced plywood, which would be an ideal material. Bottom line, don't count on it being cheap, anything RV associated, like windows and doors is pretty pricey, you can pick up a catalogue at most RV dealers that shows all the specialized items you'll need .

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-20-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Neat project. I like how you only need to take 1 trip. To take our side by side and camper we need 2 trips or 2 vehicles. Sure I could get a toy hauler but we're already set up.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Thank you...ya was fun. Needed something due do during all the lockdowns LOL. My wife WOULD NOT sleep in a tent so needed an alternative. We thought of the hauler but cost was a big issue.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I've actually built quite a few over my life time . It's not like building a house, you're weight conscious with everything you do and the thing has to go down the road without falling apart. I've always had a hankering to build one like the big boys out of FRP, fibreglass reinforced plywood, which would be an ideal material. Bottom line, don't count on it being cheap, anything RV associated, like windows and doors is pretty pricey, you can pick up a catalogue at most RV dealers that shows all the specialized items you'll need .

Grizz
Thanks,I am thinking to installed good used parts such as windows, doors and tables,for heat i am going to install diesel fired aspar heater i have one unit which was removed from a highway truck,what do you think should i build my own trailer or buy 16' used trailer fix it and build on it.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:11 PM

Not really built one but I "Hillbillied" one together, I had a car trailer, a slide in pop up truck camper and a quad. I loaded the truck camper onto the trailer, fastened it down then loaded the quad and still had room for other stuff.

Eventually I bought a used toy hauler. Nothing fancy but enough to keep me out of the elements while hunting. It's an open hauler with enough room for two quads up front.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 PM

I’m planning to build a huge truck camper for my ram 5500 with 8x12 deck. If you go on expedition portal and go into the forums, there’s tons of build threads where people build all sorts of different types of rigs. CanadaRv.ca is a website with all sorts of rv windows, doors, siding, roofing, interior, hatch doors, pretty much anything. If you do a build, please do a build thread on here.
Good luck
Old 01-20-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
I’m planning to build a huge truck camper for my ram 5500 with 8x12 deck. If you go on expedition portal and go into the forums, there’s tons of build threads where people build all sorts of different types of rigs. CanadaRv.ca is a website with all sorts of rv windows, doors, siding, roofing, interior, hatch doors, pretty much anything. If you do a build, please do a build thread on here.
Good luck
For sure i will post pictures here on the forum i start looking flat deck trailer used,14'or 12',may be 3500lbs axle.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:31 PM

Also tnttt.com has a wealth of knowledge on teardrop construction
Old 01-20-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercaller View Post

Any chance of pics? I have a similar size trailer and with the cost of campers at the moment, leaning this way...

Thanks
Old 01-21-2022, 09:05 AM

Default Camper parts

I have three old campers sitting in my junk yard that can go for parts, In the Millarville area S.W. of Calgary, bring rum. 403 931 2595.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
I have three old campers sitting in my junk yard that can go for parts, In the Millarville area S.W. of Calgary, bring rum. 403 931 2595.
A good way to go, the hardware usually survives the shell.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-21-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
Great thanks.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:38 AM

I've been debating building a cargo trailer conversion. I essentially want a toy hauler (bikes/sups/kayaks/etc) with toilet/bed/fridge, but don't to pay $50g and have to change tow vehicles. The biggest struggle is finding time to build what I want.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:09 PM

I used to have a slide in truck camper on a 16' car hauler. I could store my dirt bike on the front and whatever else I needed on the back and that obviously freed up the box. I had 3' sides on the trailer. I could of got two sleds on it too. It worked out really well and sure beat having to use those Cattywampous camper jacks.

With my 7' lift and 35x12.5 tires that stuck out with wheel spacers was a REAL PITA to load/unload.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:13 PM

I re-built a trailer. Here's a link to my build thread.

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9017

The whole TNTT forum is loads of info!
Old 01-21-2022, 07:03 PM

Awesome thread.

I'm giving my old trailer some serious TLC this summer.
I'm gutting the interior and reno' ing as per what I see my needs being based on how I've used it last 10 years (along with a couple of comfy new mattresses).

The ol' girl doesn't leak and she's small enough to park behind the garage here in the city, and the fridge and furnace always fire up instantly without fail...just need a tweak to the floor plan.

I'll wire in new led lights...better storage....getting excited here!
Old 01-21-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald_G View Post
I re-built a trailer. Here's a link to my build thread.

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9017

The whole TNTT forum is loads of info!
Bud you have done a great job keep it up,please post pictures here on the forum.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:36 PM

i am looking dirt cheap trailer used no problem if it need lots of repair.