Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2020, 08:23 PM

For those of you with RPALs how are you submitting your range membership to the CFO. Did my RPal renewal online tonight, that was easy enough but there is no way to attach your range membership.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:26 PM

Thumbs up Less than 2 weeks

Submitted my RPAL renewal online November 29, new card arrived in the mail today.
Range membership information can be sent via registered mail, for proof of delivery, if fax isn't an option.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-15-2020, 07:35 AM

Default 3 months

3 months to be safe
Old 12-15-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivlac View Post
3 months to be safe
I send in renewals 6 months before my PAL expires, and I waited 5-1/2 months one time. I have also received a renewal in under three weeks.

Quote:
For those of you with RPALs how are you submitting your range membership to the CFO. Did my RPal renewal online tonight, that was easy enough but there is no way to attach your range membership.
I have taken a picture of my membership card and e-mailed it to the CFO.The stupidity of this, is that the PAL is valid for five years, and range memberships are typically one year at most, so the CFO has no way of knowing if you renew your range membership. As a result some people only purchase a range membership every five years, when they need to renew.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:54 AM

One of my kids' applications was hung up for a while. Then, just the other day, I saw that my credit card was charged, and they called that same day to let us know that there was a fee hike (less than $2), so they needed to authorize that.

Hopefully it won't be long now.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:55 AM

I submitted my renewal online Nov 24th, received my new PAL yesterday.

Sent a scanned copy of my range membership to the following email:

cfpcfounit@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Noted my application number and PAL number in my email.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2020, 03:08 PM

Default PAl

I applied online for an non restricted on December 5 and got it in the mail on December 16.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:57 AM

My FAC expires next week. Haven't received the new one yet although I applied for renewal in February.
Is this extension still in effect?

Old 05-20-2021, 10:01 AM

Yes it is. Did you do an online renewal? Should only take a couple of weeks. Check up on your application.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:16 AM

Did the renewal online. When checking status, all I get is "application being processed". With this 7-month extension valid, it look like I am OK for the rest of the year...
Old 05-20-2021, 11:18 AM

I just received my RPAL renewal and it took 95 days.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:48 AM

Exclamation Limited privileges during the 6 month extension period

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
Did the renewal online. When checking status, all I get is "application being processed". With this 7-month extension valid, it look like I am OK for the rest of the year...
To clarify, you are OK to own/maintain possession of your firearms, but you cannot use them, or purchase more firearms or ammunition.
Excerpt from the CSSA website:
Quote:
On November 15, 2017 an order of the Governor General in Counsel was published in the Canada Gazette as SI/2017-70 that fixed November 30, 2017 as the date the six (6) months Grace Period as set out in Section 14 of the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act, ch. 27, S of C.2015 came into effect. The change is seen in Section 64(1.1).

This extended the validity of a PAL or RPAL for six months, but not all of the privileges associated with a PAL or RPAL are extended.

You cannot use your firearms, you cannot acquire ammunition or reloading gun powder, the authorities that are attached to your PAL or RPAL are not extended past the original expiry date, see Section 64(1.2, 1.3, 1.4). This restriction on your authorities can lead to serious problems.

This means you cannot transport your restricted or 12(6) to the shooting range. If you do such and have ammunition for that restricted or prohibited when transporting you will face a Criminal charge under Section 95 of the Criminal Code, that is a very serious offense.
Link to the CSSA page quoted:
https://cssa-cila.org/firearms-licen...ense-renewals/

It is interesting that this information is not readily available on the RCMP or GoC websites, just lots of happy fluff.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-20-2021, 12:30 PM

Just did RPAL renewal online, less than 2 weeks from submission to card in hand.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:47 PM

RPAL, mailed , had to.

165 days
Old 05-20-2021, 07:23 PM

My renewal was about 3 months. Electronic application, but I didn’t have the email address for range membership which held it up a bit.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:51 PM

Thanks Redneck for the extra info. I have prepared a folder with proof or my renewal application, just in case...
Hope to get my RPAL by September!
Old 12-19-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I submitted my renewal online Nov 24th, received my new PAL yesterday.

Sent a scanned copy of my range membership to the following email:

Noted my application number and PAL number in my email.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did my online renewal, does everybody with an RPAL renewing send a copy of membership to the above email or wait for them to ask for it?

Do they always ask? I usually send a copy with my mail in application
Old 01-20-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I did my online renewal, does everybody with an RPAL renewing send a copy of membership to the above email or wait for them to ask for it?

Do they always ask? I usually send a copy with my mail in application
When I was renewing my RPAL last month I called into the CFO to ask why they didn't ask the question of whether I'm a collector or range member. I was told that it was my responsibility to call in and declare one or the other.

I emailed a copy of my range membership to get it over and done with. Seemed greasy to say its still required but they don't tell you.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:36 AM

I phoned asked why there wasn't a way to attach my membership to the online application.
It's because if the provincial FO requires it they will contact you ??? really doesn't make sense.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I phoned asked why there wasn't a way to attach my membership to the online application.
It's because if the provincial FO requires it they will contact you ??? really doesn't make sense.
What has happened to myself and others in the past, is that we waited months, after being told that the renewal was sitting with the CFO. When I finally reached the CFO, I was told that he wouldn't approve the renewal, until he saw my range membership. Exactly how was I supposed to know that he was waiting to see my range membership, if I was never contacted to provide proof of my range membership?
Old 01-20-2022, 01:53 PM

After 30 years or so one would think they would have a smooth process if this was in the private world the whole bunch would've been fired and replaced.

Can't logon to the web site, 30 mins. on hold their advice "keep trying"

Sent an mail the reply
"Due to measures taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Canadian Firearms Program is currently experiencing significant impacts to its services, like many other service providers in Canada.

The Canadian Firearms Program will provide an initial response to emails within 3 business days. Emails are responded to in the order of which they are received.

That was a week ago still no reply

The best system billions can buy

Old 01-20-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
After 30 years or so one would think they would have a smooth process if this was in the private world the whole bunch would've been fired and replaced.

Can't logon to the web site, 30 mins. on hold their advice "keep trying"

Sent an mail the reply
"Due to measures taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Canadian Firearms Program is currently experiencing significant impacts to its services, like many other service providers in Canada.

The Canadian Firearms Program will provide an initial response to emails within 3 business days. Emails are responded to in the order of which they are received.

That was a week ago still no reply

The best system billions can buy

I've had problems logging onto their website as well. I found that logging in through the link they gave me in the email worked all the time.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...l-web-services

Maybe try this link?
Old 01-20-2022, 03:53 PM

Sent my renew,in the snail mail yestrday.Everytime i tried to include,my picture.IT said,too small,too big.Went to london drugs,snapped a picture.Lady said,this is a surer way.Let you no when i recive,the new one.expires in september.So they have lotsa of time ,to scrutinize the application..
Old 02-19-2022, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Sent my renew,in the snail mail yestrday.Everytime i tried to include,my picture.IT said,too small,too big.Went to london drugs,snapped a picture.Lady said,this is a surer way.Let you no when i recive,the new one.expires in september.So they have lotsa of time ,to scrutinize the application..
Got it today 5-6 weeks
Old 02-19-2022, 06:34 AM

Did mine online

Application received on2021-12-19
Current status We have completed the initial review of your firearms licence application. If additional information is required, you will be contacted. Please check the status again at a later date.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What has happened to myself and others in the past, is that we waited months, after being told that the renewal was sitting with the CFO. When I finally reached the CFO, I was told that he wouldn't approve the renewal, until he saw my range membership. Exactly how was I supposed to know that he was waiting to see my range membership, if I was never contacted to provide proof of my range membership?
Here’s how you attach your range membership if you want to.(not debating the validity of the Section 58 privileges the CFO has here)

Do your online renewal, attach your picture as it asks, submit your payment (yes it changes yearly with inflation)
Once you have a reference or transaction number, email your proof of range membership here:
Put your PAL number and the reference number in the subject line.
You will get a delivery receipt which you should screen shot or save.

Voila, it’s done.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-19-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Here’s how you attach your range membership if you want to.(not debating the validity of the Section 58 privileges the CFO has here)

Do your online renewal, attach your picture as it asks, submit your payment (yes it changes yearly with inflation)
Once you have a reference or transaction number, email your proof of range membership here:
Put your PAL number and the reference number in the subject line.
You will get a delivery receipt which you should screen shot or save.

Voila, it’s done.
After dealing with the new CFO, I am thinking that we won't have the same issues with her, as long as she holds the position. She seems more interested in doing business according to the actual regulations, without making up regulations of her own.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:03 AM

Sent mine electronically on Jan 20, received it Feb 16. Restricted license, no call to my wife asking questions. Went as a license renew should go, it should never take months to get a renewal, or new license for that matter.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
After dealing with the new CFO, I am thinking that we won't have the same issues with her, as long as she holds the position. She seems more interested in doing business according to the actual regulations, without making up regulations of her own.
Thinking, wishing, hoping, and holding one’s nose while casting a ballot seems to be the only recourse we plebe’s have these days.

I use my range membership, and I own restricted’s, and I’m too old to fight the fights I used to want to fight anymore, so I provide the proof, and it streamlines renewal, that’s all.

There are no absolutes