Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many have you hit?
Deer 143 74.48%
Moose 20 10.42%
Pronghorn 5 2.60%
Elk 4 2.08%
Caribou 0 0%
Coyote 61 31.77%
Wolf 1 0.52%
Bear 9 4.69%
Misc. birds 147 76.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2020, 01:50 PM

2 deer so far but just barely tagged them. They both ran away with minimal damage. I did have one deer ram the side of my truck while slowly driving through the middle of a herd that refused to get off the road. I was on my way to the hospital so I didn't have time to go around them. Left a huge dent on the passenger side just in front of the rear wheel well. Quoted 4 grand to fix it. Worst part was it was just outside of the least I was hunting.

My antenna hit a bird of some sort. The antenna smacked back into the cab of the truck very loudly and I heard something rolling across the roof. There was blood on the roof and canopy with little back feathers stuck in it. I never found the carcass on the road.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-30-2020, 01:50 PM

Default Younger & Dumber

Summer of 1985, student field operator for an oil company in SE Sask. Clipped a doe with my truck, busted headlight bezel and grille, everything else worked fine. Happened on the same day I got severely stuck (2WD) and overflowed my water tanks (skim of oil goes a long way in the breeze).

Funny part, the office had gone 1,479,000 kms without a PVA and everyone knew there was a big celebration if we hit 1.5MM (a company record).

Other funny part, the safety guy, located in Estevan (~120 kms away) was on site 45 mins after I called it in. Eventually determined to be non-preventable...I wasn't asking too many questions.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
That reminded me of the time I hit a Cow just north of Gibbons on Highway 28 near where the golf course is today. There was a pasture there at the time and the fence was in poor repair. I came down the hill and let the KW roll black as the inside of a cow out. All of a sudden there was a black cow on the zipper line facing away, boom and off comes the left fender. Kept it on that narrow road. Had one head light a bent bumper and no right fender. Made it to the four lane just south of where I hit the milk machine. No cell phones 10:00 at night. Truck behind me drove into the city and called the cops who came out, he also had a tow truck sent out. While this was all taking place another truck takes out another cow going north near where I hit mine going south. RCMP were not impressed, got a hold of the landowner and had him come out to see why his cows were crossing the highway. They were crossing because they could. I can't believe I forgot about this...

BW
I was coming up a rise on a grid road and seen cows in the ditch on one side and then out of the other ditch a lone cow bolted over to join its buddies...45mph to a dead stop...over the bars and slid down the grid road on my back pack....got home as the bike still ran....cop was more concerned of the condition of the cow...so I just hung up....cows got out from somewhere?

Went back and cows where all gone....talked to the two farms and no one said it was there's so off I went...steakless

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-30-2020, 02:04 PM

My older 88 3/4 ton suburban was a deer magnet, early morning and last light driving, the sub hit over 10 deer over 3 years, the last one did the most damage and sent my sub to the wrecker parking lot.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:20 PM
Banned

I hit one WT around Drumheller (2006); one WT t-boned my truck around Hanna (2008); one sharp tail grouse totally destroyed windshield of my truck (2011). My wife hit WT on 22X, Calgary SE (2013).
I feel like it is about time for another record.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:25 PM

So many close calls with deer running out of the ditch and waiting for the thump into the side of the vehicle. Nada thankfully. If I see them coming, I have been able to avoid them one way or the other.

A big ole owl came out of the ditch by the Collinton motel years back while driving home from a hunt. It was dark, one second peace and quiet, next nothing but a big wing span and body coming at my windshield as it tried to pull up. It hit right at the top of the roof line. I went back and looked but no owl so I hoped it pulling up and me hitting the brakes didn't give it a mortal impact.

Ran over a bunch of stupid gophers though. They are like squirrels, in the clear, then run back.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:40 PM

I have come awfully close many times, but never hit anything bigger than a coyote. Knock on wood.

The weirdest was on a night drive in Bolivia, coming back from a village near the Brazil border and heading to Pilon.....the roads have no lines, or markers, it's dark and I'm passing a guy in a pickup who was going slow. Just as I'm overtaking his brakelights light up and without a thought I swerved to the far left should while passing. Narrowly missed hitting a damn big armadillo. I have no idea what that would have done to the Tacoma, but I'm guessing it would have been bad. And then a few miles later I almost hit some Mennonite kid on a bike, all dressed in black, at night, hogging the shoulder on my side. I think my mirror might have brushed him. Apparently reflective wear is a sin for them, too flashy? I about crapped my drawers on that one. I love driving in South America.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-30-2020, 02:49 PM

I’ve never accidentally hit anything larger then a bird.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ve never accidentally hit anything larger then a bird.
My boss could never figure out why we were hitting so many deer " I have been driving this Province since the early early 70's and NEVER hit a deer" Then he hit two in the space of 2 1/2 months!!
Cat
Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM

I actually just remembered being a passenger in a truck, coming over a small hill in rural NW Missouri when I lived there. Something had gotten creamed on the road, and there were 3 buzzards chowing on it. Two got out of the way, one came through the windshield, still half alive and squawking and stinking....ugh. That was a nasty.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Hitting animals with your vehicle

Had a small doe cartwheel over the hood of my truck when I clipped it on front end. Lucky I was only doing about 50 kph.

I hit a fat porcupine with my front tire south Swan Hills at over 110 kmh. THAT was an adventure as we just about rolled the truck. It required a change of underwear. as I thought we were done.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:30 PM

I bought a new Silverado in 2014. Didn't even have a scratch on it and I hit a deer.

I bought a new Harley in 2014. Didn't even have a scratch on it and I hit a deer.

Hit lots of birds. When you ride by on a bike it's like they fly out of the long grass to attack you at the last minute.

I drove over a frozen coyote that was half on the road. Ripped off my running board. That scared the crap out of me. I went back to see what it was. I'm lucky I didn't do more damage. Like hitting a 1 foot high rock.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:02 PM

So far,

2 deer, in both cases they jumped up & sprinted off into the bush.

1 moose, she got up and sprinted at me, but healed up nicely after, that was
awhile ago though & we've since got divorced.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:43 PM

coming out of Deerfoot Meadows Shopping center 4 years ago in November just at dusk and just before heading into the Underpass that goes beneath Deerfoot trail a really nice 4x4 wt came down off the north side of the underpass ran across the road and tried to jump over the top of my wifes Pilot just as we were entering the tunnel. I was driving. the deer didn't quite make the jump, put at least 1 foot through the year drivers side window and took out the roof racks. I looked in the rear view just in time to see him bounce a couple of times and pick himself up and run off south behind the 5 guys burger place and between the back of the strip mall and the highway
I got out of course, there was glass everywhere inside the car and blood and hair on the door jamb and in the car, roof racks were totaled and full of blood and hair. I walked back and there was blood on the road and the curb. I walked a ways behind the mall to see if he laid down but never did find him. Best deer I saw all fall that year.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM

After driving since 1985 I finally hit my first deer last summer, which seemed to be a pretty good run without hitting a critter by my estimation. There's a couple of funny parts to this one though.

I was on highway 22 at 10:20 pm when a buck came into view and halted pretty much just over the centre line, crossing from my left to my right. I hit the binders and veered slightly, but I sure wasn't going to take the ditch and make things worse. I hit the critter on my drivers side corner probably doing something like 70 to 80 km/h, I could see it spinning in my side view mirror. I pulled over and ran back planning to dispatch it, but I was rendered a bit dumbfounded when the thing managed to stagger up and run away. I was quite confident it wouldn't be making it through the night based on the blood on my vehicle as well as the road, and simply the hit it took.

It was amusing as the funny 'accident report' that I have included had crossed my internet feed earlier that same week, and with the exception of the direction the deer was facing, it was also accurate being that I drive a Mercedes.

This photo shows that I literally knocked the turd out of Bambi when he spun and left a 'Hershey's kiss' just behind my door:

Here's the funny part when you see exactly who killed Bambi :

Old 03-30-2020, 07:26 PM

Back in 1982 I was driving my old Yamaha Ss440 down a cutline and had a moose run out in front of me. Knocked the windshield off my sled and drove my head Into the moose’ shoulder and knocked me off the sled. After I quit seeing stars the moose stood there looking at me about 50 feet away.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:29 PM

Hit an old woman. snowy slippery night, driving down a steep street slowly about 30 KPH, about 50 yds ahead an elderly couple were on the opposite side of a narrow residential street out walking waiting to cross the street, no crosswalk, saw them an gave the horn a tap to make sure they knew I was there so they wouldn't walk out in front as I wasn't sure they saw me coming, soon as I beeped the horn the woman spazed and started across the street fast as she could move , her husband tried to grab her and hold her back but slipped and fell down, she kept coming, it was like slow motion, car sliding slowly but not slowing down. Knew I couldn't stop so let off the brakes and cut into the snowbank and hit her at the same time, thankfully the snow bank was solid and stopped the car dead just as we hit her, she flopped onto the hood then slid down under the front bumper. Friend and I got out, she was laying there not moving, thought we killed her. Her husband was there by then and we pulled her out from under the bumper. Dusted her off, think she was in shock or scared to death, anyway after a few minutes of "are you okay" and such we got her on her feet no worse for wear, not a scratch. Thats when the old man started scolding her asking her what ever posessed her to run out in front of a car, what was she thinking?. Then started apologizing to us offering to pay for the minor damage on the car. Told him to forget it, we were just happy we didn't hurt her. That was about 40 years ago, haven't hit a pedestrian since.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:11 PM

In my 35+ years of driving semi in Manitoba, I totalled off 3 trucks, all on moose.I ran over several deer in those years and the usual amount of birds. But the funnyist (to me at the time was) I was travelling about 10 miles east of Neepawa on Hwy #16 at night time and back before they rebuilt the bridges, at that time there was about 3 bridges within 20 miles or so. Each bridge was down in a bit of a dip and as I was approaching the first bridge I could see about 10 sets of eye's ahead. I was pulling a set of super B's loaded with 8' pulp logs and was going about 100 klm's and I see a whole wack of racoon's on the center of the bridge, mostly in my lane. Well, I went thru them coon's and all I heard from under the cab was thump, thump, thump. When I returned about 10 or 11 the next morning, there were dead coon's all over the bridge, 5 or 6 for sure.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 PM

Those raccoons sure like to group up on the road, I nearly hit a pile of them on a secondary highway in Sask once, but I was driving my wife's Corolla. First ones I'd ever seen
Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 PM

With over 4 million km otr as a professional driver, I've hit two elk, two deer and a coyote.

In all fairness, I aimed for the coyote.

Colin
Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 PM

Let’s see 2 cows, one took the front end out while the other took out the bathroom on the camper. Black cows on a fresh asphalt back highway. A deer playing kamikaze. I sped up and it bounced off my back quarter panel and ran away opposite direction. Lots of close calls. Then hit a cow again a number years later free ranging in the highway?? Son borrowed suv last winter and took out a moose and wrote off suv. He luckily walked away from it
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 PM

Hit one deer about ten years ago west of my place. Had a bit of a lifted truck at the time and the only damage was where the deers head smacked the bumper square leaving a small dent.

Funny deer hit story: Heading to work one morning I see some stationary headlights up ahead and happen upon a fellow who had just hit a deer which was laying in the middle of the road. Dude was absolutely shook up by it not knowing what to do with this timid little forest creature. I said I would handle it.

Now this thing appeared stone dead, and not being a big deer I decided I'd try and basically grab it by the back legs and hammer throw it into the ditch. It actually went pretty good however apparently this deer wasn't dead. It hit the ground, bounced and proceeded to jump to it's feet and run. Both of us were standing there in disbelief.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Hit an old woman. snowy slippery night, driving down a steep street slowly about 30 KPH, about 50 yds ahead an elderly couple were on the opposite side of a narrow residential street out walking waiting to cross the street, no crosswalk, saw them an gave the horn a tap to make sure they knew I was there so they wouldn't walk out in front as I wasn't sure they saw me coming, soon as I beeped the horn the woman spazed and started across the street fast as she could move , her husband tried to grab her and hold her back but slipped and fell down, she kept coming, it was like slow motion, car sliding slowly but not slowing down. Knew I couldn't stop so let off the brakes and cut into the snowbank and hit her at the same time, thankfully the snow bank was solid and stopped the car dead just as we hit her, she flopped onto the hood then slid down under the front bumper. Friend and I got out, she was laying there not moving, thought we killed her. Her husband was there by then and we pulled her out from under the bumper. Dusted her off, think she was in shock or scared to death, anyway after a few minutes of "are you okay" and such we got her on her feet no worse for wear, not a scratch. Thats when the old man started scolding her asking her what ever posessed her to run out in front of a car, what was she thinking?. Then started apologizing to us offering to pay for the minor damage on the car. Told him to forget it, we were just happy we didn't hurt her. That was about 40 years ago, haven't hit a pedestrian since.

Winner!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:19 PM

Hwy 2 South by Lacombe, around 2am. I saw a coyote in the ditch and I started to slow down a bit. I didn’t see his buddy in the middle of my lane walking away from me.

I rammed my ram right up it’s arse. Luckily it ducked right before I got it so it missed the bumper and caught the cross member between the suspension. It made one hell of a mess under the truck.

Pulled over right away and walked back but only found pieces left of the coyote. I got him good!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:43 PM

Only birds for me.

2 deer for my wife.
One was 100km/hr no breaks at all impact at night on hwy 881. Thank god it wasn’t a moose. We would be dead. Wrote off the little Tacoma.

Next was a deer in the 70 zone at Gregoire lake estates ... $26,000 repair.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:36 AM

You could have added skunks, raccoons, and porcupines to that list....I have managed to hit all 3 of them as well traveling at night.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 03-31-2020, 12:45 AM

I had a leasehand that was driving from home every day to the rig about 1.25hrs. One SUMMER he hit 9 deer with his old 6.5 half ton. Driving that much gravel, into the sun in the mornings I guess. The guy was an absolute liability in action.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 AM

Hit a badger on the way home from hunting one night, up by Boyle.

He ran up to the center line to grab a roadkilled gopher, then thought better of it, and ran to the shoulder. At the last second, he decided to go for it. Thump-thump.

He ended up running off the road after being hit, though - tough critter!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:06 AM

I almost hit an Ostrich on HWY2 probably about 20 years ago, escaped from a hobby farm made it into the airport and had to be shot.

LC
Old 03-31-2020, 08:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Northern Ontario...buddy and I were on leave heading on a road trip...thought he would be a smartazz and drive over the porky...ended up changing a flat tire.

Not me I enjoyed a road pop on the side of the road...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...