Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Why should anyone in the healthcare system test someone today with no symptoms?
If you'd done any reading you'd know that the virus is being spread by people not showing any symptoms or extremely mild symptoms. Sometimes these asymptomatic people can be shedding virus for many days meaning you essentially have what appear to be healthy people that are actually super spreaders. That is one of the keys that make this virus spread so bad. If we don't have a way to ID all spreaders then we don't stand much chance of controlling the spread.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Are we at the start of the infection spread or the end?

If at the start you know the 17% is only going up...to where...scientists think 40-70%. Time will tell but this is very infectious.

If at the end...and all we have is the current numbers...then we are only guessing at the number since asymptomatic people would not of been tested to know the full spread across the population.

If at the end they can test a subset of the population for any marker that shows they have been infected then the true spread can be determined.
Who knows eh?
I think we are just doing our best to “ stop the spread” so our health care system doesn’t get over loaded.
Other than that, we just have to wait it out.
I see our cases are doubling every 4ish days, at least it’s not exponential.
100 people recovered.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Default On the fence

So my Dad (62 years old) is really itching to head out to the cabin with me this weekend, would just be us two. This may seem like a bad question at this point, but would it be a bad idea? Since I am 100% healthy, and dad would be around only me, as opposed to even going to get groceries where there's loads of people around. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Although I am leaning towards not spending the weekend with him at the cabin
Old 04-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
If you'd done any reading you'd know that the virus is being spread by people not showing any symptoms or extremely mild symptoms. Sometimes these asymptomatic people can be shedding virus for many days meaning you essentially have what appear to be healthy people that are actually super spreaders. That is one of the keys that make this virus spread so bad. If we don't have a way to ID all spreaders then we don't stand much chance of controlling the spread.
I get that however there is no evidence that that has helped. How many non symptomatic persons have been found in testing?

https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-alberta-data.aspx

To date in Alberta. 48692 tests. 754 have Covid. No mention of any positive tests with people showing no symptoms.

So...is it good to put money, equipment and people testing those with no symptoms or better having them doing tracings, testing of people with symptoms?

I don’t think we have the luxury of any of the above.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Applying isolation is default, removing it requires a much better understanding of where everything lies. Sampling is the tool, extensive sampling. Isolation has its problems, as the rate of return can cause reflects of the virus, increasing the potential for mutation, prolonging recovery.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Banned

Arrow

Some information regarding the now eight recognized strains of this virus, and hints towards where it came from:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/5080571002/
Old 04-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Could still depend upon the cost and people resources. Why should anyone in the healthcare system test someone today with no symptoms? Unless the test is super sensitive and can tell somewhat is infected within hours of exposure it will be wasted effort.

It was mentioned in one of the press conferences I can't recall from whom that with the new test that anyone that wanted to be tested would soon have the opportunity
The more data they can collect the better

Cheers
Old 04-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Banned

Arrow

The road to Canada's COVID-19 outbreak: timeline of federal government failure at border to slow the virus

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/nat...low-the-virus/
Old 04-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Applying isolation is default, removing it requires a much better understanding of where everything lies. Sampling is the tool, extensive sampling. Isolation has its problems, as the rate of return can cause reflects of the virus, increasing the potential for mutation, prolonging recovery.
As for the USA. Here is one reason this will not be under control for a long time. Ground all flights already. Can’t believe the amount of flights over the USA. This was a live shot about 15 minutes ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA2972AC-1E49-4160-961F-524B6BC0251E.jpg (22.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Banned

84,000 deaths this flu season in the US
4,000 Covid deaths so far
Just saw where Andrew Cuomo stated that 1,941 people have died that tested positive for Corona virus
Odd are counting people that died of other causes and tested positive for corna virus to the death toll ?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM

This article points out some of the fallout from China's outright lying about their numbers after they found out that denying it altogether was not working. Their lies and outright fraud affected how other nations reacted to the epidemic
and will be responsible for at least tens of thousands of deaths had they not defaulted to their well-established habit of lying and suppressing information:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...BXX?ocid=ientp

"(Bloomberg) -- China has concealed the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in its country, under-reporting both total cases and deaths it’s suffered from the disease, the U.S. intelligence community concluded in a classified report to the White House, according to three U.S. officials.

The officials asked not to be identified because the report is secret and declined to detail its contents. But the thrust, they said, is that China’s public reporting on cases and deaths is intentionally incomplete. Two of the officials said the report concludes that China’s numbers are fake.

The report was received by the White House last week, one of the officials said.

The outbreak began in China’s Hubei province in late 2019, but the country has publicly reported only about 82,000 cases and 3,300 deaths, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. That compares to more than 189,000 cases and more than 4,000 deaths in the U.S., which has the largest publicly reported outbreak in the world.

Communications staff at the White House and Chinese embassy in Washington didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

While China eventually imposed a strict lockdown beyond those of less autocratic nations, there has been considerable skepticism of China’s reported numbers, both outside and within the country. The Chinese government has repeatedly revised its methodology for counting cases, for weeks excluding people without symptoms entirely, and only on Tuesday added more than 1,500 asymptomatic cases to its total.

Stacks of thousands of urns outside funeral homes in Hubei province have driven public doubt in Beijing’s reporting

Deborah Birx, the State Department immunologist advising the White House on its response to the outbreak, said Tuesday that China’s public reporting influenced assumptions elsewhere in the world about the nature of the virus.

The medical community made -- interpreted the Chinese data as: This was serious, but smaller than anyone expected,” she said at a news conference on Tuesday. “Because I think probably we were missing a significant amount of the data, now that what we see happened to Italy and see what happened to Spain.”

China is not the only country with suspect public reporting. Western officials have pointed to Iran, Russia, Indonesia and especially North Korea, which has not reported a single case of the disease, as probable under-counts. Others including Saudi Arabia and Egypt may also be playing down their numbers

U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo has publicly urged China and other nations to be transparent about their outbreaks. He has repeatedly accused China of covering up the extent of the problem and being slow to share information, especially in the weeks after the virus first emerged, and blocking offers of help from American experts.

“This data set matters,” he said at a news conference in Washington on Tuesday. The development of medical therapies and public-health measures to combat the virus “so that we can save lives depends on the ability to have confidence and information about what has actually transpired,” he said.

“I would urge every nation: Do your best to collect the data. Do your best to share that information,” he said. “We’re doing that.”
Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
84,000 deaths this flu season in the US
4,000 Covid deaths so far
Just saw where Andrew Cuomo stated that 1,941 people have died that tested positive for Corona virus
Odd are counting people that died of other causes and tested positive for corna virus to the death toll ?
<---- This line of thinking is absurd (its not even thinking). I'm sure that perhaps you know an expert in a field that you trust, say maybe a mechanic or an engineer that you are confident knows their crap from shinola. This attitude about denial is not coming from any expert in medical research, anywhere. For instance my wife's sister just happens to be a lab researcher with a PhD in molecular biochemistry, I know she's smart as hell and this Covid thing falls directly in her area of expertise. So I listen to her on the matter, because she actually knows what she's talking about inside-out. I'll link a very recent video on Covid-19 featuring her immediate supervisor, the department head of Microbiology, Immunology & Infectious Diseases at U of C. Its a long watch but has lots more information than one can garner by reading Karen from Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZSv...GUA1D_h0DSIRjU
Old 04-01-2020, 03:28 PM

Default stay home

Stay put and isolation is your best friend until this virus is gone or something can be done about it .............. God bless
Old 04-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
Wife and I were talking about this yesterday. If someone goes in for a hip replacement and they pass away. They more than likey died from complications due to the surgery (blood pressure. pneumonia etc). From a statistical point of view it is not looked at as a "hip surgery death"

Those that have passed had Covid but did they die because of the Covid or from the complications. Statistical deaths are "did they have Covid when they died (yes/no)" But it is not that simple.

Also, alot of elderly people have certain stipulations/wishes with regards to their health if they get hospitalized....specifically DNRs (do not resuscitate) or even the measures taken to keep them alive. (i.e don't try to hard)
Old 04-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
<---- This line of thinking is absurd (its not even thinking). I'm sure that perhaps you know an expert in a field that you trust, say maybe a mechanic or an engineer that you are confident knows their crap from shinola. This attitude about denial is not coming from any expert in medical research, anywhere. For instance my wife's sister just happens to be a lab researcher with a PhD in molecular biochemistry, I know she's smart as hell and this Covid thing falls directly in her area of expertise. So I listen to her on the matter, because she actually knows what she's talking about inside-out. I'll link a very recent video on Covid-19 featuring her immediate supervisor, the department head of Microbiology, Immunology & Infectious Diseases at U of C. Its a long watch but has lots more information than one can garner by reading Karen from Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZSv...GUA1D_h0DSIRjU
I was just pointing out what the Governor of NY stated in a press confrence found it odd and askEd a question
Sorry if that upset you

Cheers
Old 04-01-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Wife and I were talking about this yesterday. If someone goes in for a hip replacement and they pass away. They more than likey died from complications due to the surgery (blood pressure. pneumonia etc). From a statistical point of view it is not looked at as a "hip surgery death"

Those that have passed had Covid but did they die because of the Covid or from the complications. Statistical deaths are "did they have Covid when they died (yes/no)" But it is not that simple.

Also, alot of elderly people have certain stipulations/wishes with regards to their health if they get hospitalized....specifically DNRs (do not resuscitate) or even the measures taken to keep them alive. (i.e don't try to hard)
There is another problem, unfortunately...
If you just got complications from regular flu... and got pneumonia no X - ray company will accept you!!!!
You have to go where all infected go- and where you 99% will get infected by Coronavirus ...
Anticipating questions from idiots while I am in good mood!
Hurry up cause tomorrow I will be sober and wont be so nice to answer stupid people questions

Last edited by sailor; 04-01-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I know a person (actually know and talked to this guy) who works in my company (different division) but also here in Edmonton, who was on a flight coming back from Las Vegas, as was in the rows immediately across a person who later tested positive for Covid.

This was about the same time we both returned to Canada and our company had us both quarantine and asked me to call health link. In my case I had a mild cold, and had just returned from California, so they tested me, and I of course, tested negative and finished my quarantine.

They also asked him to quarantine, but at that time did not ask him to call health link because he had no symptoms HOWEVER after the fact someone on his flight, in the row across from him, tested positive, so off to testing he went too.

This was about a week later maybe.

He is about 30 years old, had absolutely zero symptoms, and wasn't too worried about it. He fully expected to be negative. Was feeling fine and enjoying quarantine - in fact he was texting me and we were sharing jokes about being quarantined and asking for danger pay.

He went to testing, subsequently, to everyone's surprise, tested positive, and, I repeat has had no symptoms, or illness whatsoever. Not then, not now, and weeks later nothing still he feels fine.

He went for a follow up today, I guess we will see. But he says he's not had a single issue or symptom.

I dunno - I guess it could happen.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I know a person (actually know and talked to this guy) who works in my company (different division) but also here in Edmonton, who was on a flight coming back from Las Vegas, as was in the rows immediately across a person who later tested positive for Covid.

This was about the same time we both returned to Canada and our company had us both quarantine and asked me to call health link. In my case I had a mild cold, and had just returned from California, so they tested me, and I of course, tested negative and finished my quarantine.

They also asked him to quarantine, but at that time did not ask him to call health link because he had no symptoms HOWEVER after the fact someone on his flight, in the row across from him, tested positive, so off to testing he went too.

This was about a week later maybe.

He is about 30 years old, had absolutely zero symptoms, and wasn't too worried about it. He fully expected to be negative. Was feeling fine and enjoying quarantine - in fact he was texting me and we were sharing jokes about being quarantined and asking for danger pay.

He went to testing, subsequently, to everyone's surprise, tested positive, and, I repeat has had no symptoms, or illness whatsoever. Not then, not now, and weeks later nothing still he feels fine.

He went for a follow up today, I guess we will see. But he says he's not had a single issue or symptom.

I dunno - I guess it could happen.
The zero symptoms is well documented as is very mild symptoms.

These days if you offered free testing it would be a giant line up with many coming daily.

I could see follow up testing on people exposed to known cases to gain transmission data...just not general public.

I could be wrong but unlimited free testing is just not practical.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-01-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:

These days if you offered free testing it would be a giant line up with many coming daily.

I could see follow up testing on people exposed to known cases to gain transmission data...just not general public.

First of all - it’s BS and won’t be any soon
Secondly- first 5 days at least after being infected the most sofisticated prs tests won’t give relible result
Old 04-01-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post

I believe it would be listed as complications arising after surgery...not the surgery itself.

If you are listed as dying of C19 it will be due to respiratory failure directly caused at the time by C19. If they fell and bonked their head and died of a concussion while in the hospital it is not death by Covid.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
There is another problem, unfortunately...
If you just got complications from regular flu... and got pneumonia no X - ray company will accept you!!!!
You have to go where all infected go- and where you 99% will get infected by Coronavirus ...
Anticipating questions from idiots while I am in good mood!
Hurry up cause tomorrow I will be sober and wont be so nice to answer stupid people questions
Not sure what you are saying. If you need an X-ray you will get an X-ray. Hospitals and labs are all doing extra to prevent exposure however fact is most people will get this as it is very transmissible. Doubt it is 99% certain tomget infected at a X-ray clinic unless you run around for a while licking surfaces.

Trick is...Just need to slow the spread to help hospitals. Makes perfect sense.

Whatcha drinking? Anything good? I miss booze.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Problem is that people with no symptoms still can infect others and if we are not confined it will go in geometrical proportion!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Problem is that people with no symptoms still can infect others and if we are not confined it will go in geometrical proportion!
Yes...so proper tracking, containment of high risk individuals is key. Testing 100% of Albertans at 12 noon tomorrow will only let you know if they are already showing up in a test. If recently infected...currently they would show negative until the virus reaches a certain cell count. Therefore a waste...unless now repeatedly testing everyone negative over and over.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:46 PM

Really hesistant to jump back into this thread. But feel a need to share. I am still unwell myself. Unable to work. Found out that last night a family member I have contact with was transported via ambulance with a fever, and pneumonia, and is now currently in ICU. He was tested. Awaiting results. For all the neigh-sayers, wait till it hits you, or your family. I'm now on a 28 day isolation. 17 days in already, it just got extended. No income whatsoever. It's tough. Take it serious please.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes...so proper tracking, containment of high risk individuals is key. Testing 100% of Albertans at 12 noon tomorrow will only let you know if they are already showing up in a test. If recently infected...currently they would show negative until the virus reaches a certain cell count. Therefore a waste...unless now repeatedly testing everyone negative over and over.
Sorry I dont get your sleng.
I am pretty sure there are at least 10 times more infected in Province than it is officially-they just not tested,,,
Tomorrow it will be 40 times more if we were not in quarantine...
Thanks God we started some initial quarantine measures here-may be it will help -to stop spreading infection...
If some of your family will die wont you be the first to claim for not making your family be safe even if that would involve cops kicking **** from you going outside without reason not wearing PPE like in India
And it is coming and you will be one of volunteers like in India
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...irus-lockdown/
And I will be just drinking and watching - not wanting and **** off orders to do what I was taught to do as it is my fellow citizens not enemies...

Last edited by sailor; 04-01-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Really hesistant to jump back into this thread. But feel a need to share. I am still unwell myself. Unable to work. Found out that last night a family member I have contact with was transported via ambulance with a fever, and pneumonia, and is now currently in ICU. He was tested. Awaiting results. For all the neigh-sayers, wait till it hits you, or your family. I'm now on a 28 day isolation. 17 days in already, it just got extended. No income whatsoever. It's tough. Take it serious please.
Wow, sorry to hear, let me know if I can help.
WDF
Old 04-01-2020, 06:49 PM

Angry Russia 👎

And Russia is at it Again ❗ 👉 https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/russia-sp...tudy-1.4877271

Selkirk
Old 04-01-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
It is very big problem.
Wonder if we could make some sort of fund here- masks,gloves, money or it is prohibited ?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Banned

I think Kenny and Trudeau need to go pitch a tent together up on broke back mountain to finish their self isolation schemes. It’s all up to us they say, live or die! We will surely die with all the Trudeau created snow flakes falling. It seems to me there was one turkey that could have put a unicorn costume on and kicked his arms and legs enough to shut our borders down while they had a chance! But instead of doing something of significance it was a come on in and kick your boots off....if you want. Statistically speaking, the China Virus entered multiple points in Canada from airplanes and open borders. Anyways, I feel a little better now while going bat crap crazy, pun intended.

Here’s some positive thinking! With a laugh!
I’ve never been so glad to find out I just ate some bad guacamole that made me shart myself. Here I thought I caught the Chinese covid virus. What a great relief!

We could all use a little laugh right now.

Jeremiah Perez- I thought I farted

https://youtu.be/al3z_UPtgL0
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 PM
Banned

I found out tonight that I may have been exposed to the virus. Two weeks ago I had an eye exam to get a prescription to buy some glasses. I had the exam locally but went to a different clinic to buy the glasses. I went to the second clinic twice, once to select the frames and get the measurements on the lenses two weeks ago and again last week to pick up the glasses and have them adjusted.

Recently (not sure of the timeframe), the optometrist working at the clinic had to take his Father to the hospital because of a fall that he had. Going into the hospital they both had to be tested for COVID and both came back positive although neither one had shown symptoms. The Father is dead, the entire staff is quarantined and the clinic is shutdown and being sanitized.

I’ve been out twice in three weeks, both times to get a couple of pairs of glasses, so it just goes to show you.