Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 AM

The Province of BC has taken Jurisdiction, and stopped the patch work of Local State of Emergency Bylaws.

So that basically ends Rupert's attempts to keep Outsiders out.

The basic problem is not the risk of spreading Covid 19 that is the concern for these exclusion Orders, because that is what they are, its the potential for abuse by Local Governments or groups controlling Local Governments.

Look to what the MD of Opportunity is trying to do, and how it is being implemented, and used to forward the agendas of some groups.

If contact when re fueling is a concern, close the fuel dock for everyone. Simple, no risk of contact.

However, the Local Government should not be attempting to take Federal Jurisdiction over Oceans and Waterways by closing the Federal Boat Launch and Marina. That is for the Federal Government to decide.

While we have a Health Emergency it cannot be used as an excuse to limit mobility on the local level. That is a Provincial decision, and it must be a balanced response recognizing the rights of the Citizens at large.

If NO TRAVEL is necessary to stop the spread of Covid 19, then it must be done on a Provincial level or Federal level.

That is the subtle point that everyone is missing, the abuse of jurisdiction by an inferior Government body.

Drewski
Old 04-01-2020, 05:11 PM

It's getting ugly now, in mere minutes the Rupert residents have 150 replies to the Mayor's latest rampage, wow does he know how to strip people up. Things could get bad very quick up there.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-03-2020, 12:04 PM

https://www.thenorthernview.com/news...vince-fishers/

I guess that's one way for the province to stop people from coming to BC and fishing this year.

Not issuing fishing licences to out of province residents...
Old 04-03-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
https://www.thenorthernview.com/news...vince-fishers/

I guess that's one way for the province to stop people from coming to BC and fishing this year.

Not issuing fishing licences to out of province residents...
Fake news. They call but nobody will answer.

That's discrimination and wont happen.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Let’s hope this opens up soon
Old 04-03-2020, 01:27 PM

l prefer going after the vaccine is out personally I dont watch to catch it there either.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM

While the locals here may not be the most tolerant of Albertans fishing out here or guiding out here under normal circumstances..I have always defended them..atleast the albertans coming out to sport fish as it brings money to town and like it has been stated the fish belong to Canadians not just us...and I was an Albertan for 5 years. But in times like this it’s paramount that no one travels...especially to our remote community...yeah sure fishing might not be a large grouping of people and enjoying the outdoors is important right now..but travelling between provinces or even towns in our remote area is a bad idea..we don’t need a flood of people from western Canada possibly bringing more infections to town...my honest opinion...we don’t care about the money your bringing to town right now...how would the locals of small towns in remote Alberta feel If a few hundred or thousand people from Vancouver we’re coming out for tourism right now? Just stay home...go fish for walleye or something at home..we don’t need more potential spread.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:08 PM

Buddy is on his way to pick up his boat and bring it home from Rupert, counted 32 BC plates at McBride. Dozens of sledders. Apparently they can go east but albertans cant go west.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
While the locals here may not be the most tolerant of Albertans fishing out here or guiding out here under normal circumstances..I have always defended them..atleast the albertans coming out to sport fish as it brings money to town and like it has been stated the fish belong to Canadians not just us...and I was an Albertan for 5 years. But in times like this it’s paramount that no one travels...especially to our remote community...yeah sure fishing might not be a large grouping of people and enjoying the outdoors is important right now..but travelling between provinces or even towns in our remote area is a bad idea..we don’t need a flood of people from western Canada possibly bringing more infections to town...my honest opinion...we don’t care about the money your bringing to town right now...how would the locals of small towns in remote Alberta feel If a few hundred or thousand people from Vancouver we’re coming out for tourism right now? Just stay home...go fish for walleye or something at home..we don’t need more potential spread.
I agree! Think I want to come to Rupert and catch it? Not a chance. You can bet on less than zero contact with anyone else if we are cleared to go this summer.

But TomP, the locals better start watching for out of town BC plates too, or all the complaining and policing and mayoral speeches mean absolutely squat.

My buddy has fished there for 17 years, figures he has contributed well over $150,000 personally to Rupert stores and gas stations. I'm not showing the math, but hes there for up to 6 weeks at a time, stayed in a hotel for 15 years, then started paying $56 per day to dock the boat at the Yacht club or Cow Bay Marina the last 2. His oat holds 600L of fuel and at $1.40 per L every 3 days, ton of cash. After all this he said he will never go back. He has pictures, screenshots of BC guides threatening to slash 6 trailer and 6 truck tires on an Alberta guides rig. The pictures have been passed on to the Rcmp. Another guy.said last year someone keyed up both sides of his truck, 4letter word'ing albertans. Classy place.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:13 PM
Gone Hunting

It is never wise to kill the golden goose.

Tourism is a major contributor to Prince Rupert's economy.
It seems to me to be a very risky strategy to tell such a key contributor to get lost.
Make no mistake PR is going to be hit hard by the fallout from this pandemic.

Being a port city in this situation leaves them more vulnerable then most. Goods shipped WILL be down, Ocean Cruises will not be operating, kicking out all tourists will likely have lasting consequences.

It's one thing to politely ask folks to not visit until this is over, quiet another to slash visitors tires.

But the problem is much bigger then just how to slow the spread of this virus or how to deal with tourists.

People are complicated, you ask one guy to please stay away and he goes away happy to wait till he can return, the next guy gets in a big huff and makes trouble or ignores the rules.

City elders can politely ask while a couple of residents are slashing tires.

Prince Rupert is a wonderful city full of wonderful people who appreciate their guests. Any population has a few idiots in it, even AO has them.

The way I see it, Prince Rupert has been good to me in the past, I'll support them through this despite what a few idiots may do to me

I will not be visiting Prince Rupert this season but if the opportunity arises in the future I certainly will return.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2020, 09:43 AM

If there is a chance at all that I would catch it while there I would not go, that simple.

I do not have it, I do not want it, and if I had it I would not spread it.

This is getting more serious daily, and in every part of it people have changed their ways of thinking dramatically.

Yes I am annoyed of the way people are behaving and threatening Albertans, but I am not there so I do not care. Scream away, go hoarse doing it, hope you feel better.

I will not apologize for boats that are there, I am not them.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:56 PM

A BC truck got keyed ovenight at rushbrook paid parking.

Maybe it was the Rupert guide that was threatening to slash tires.

My buddy got there last night to get his boat and bring it home, said that the marinas are full of charter boats.

What a wonderful loving community.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 04-04-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

As usual we shouldn't judge a whole community based on a few idiots. That's just disrespectful.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
As usual we shouldn't judge a whole community based on a few idiots. That's just disrespectful.
I was replying to Keg, he would have got it.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:16 PM

Buddy just told me there are 18 trucks and trailers at the boat launch right now. So much for staying at home, which the Mayor has everyone wound up about.
-0 Alberta plates.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:38 PM

That must be one heck of a long key to be able to reach that truck from their house. Hypocrite.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

My buddy got there last night to get his boat and bring it home, said that the marinas are full of charter boats.

(Cory stay home)

That tells me his neighbor did this to him!

Scary scary stuff. This sort of thing worries me a lot more then the virus.

I have no doubt we will survive the virus, I'm not so sure society can survive the fallout from it.

Armageddon is looking more plausible by the day.

I saw on the news last night where one guy bought up over 100,000 surgical masks and was selling them at several hundred times the normal price. And selling lots of them.

Things are getting beyond crazy.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2020, 03:06 PM

Keg it says “covid stay home”
Old 04-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

man people sure can be wankers eh!!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I was replying to Keg, he would have got it.
I get it, and I don't doubt it. Too often some people take situations such as this to excuse a bad attitude.

The guy that did this and the guy that slashed tires is quiet likely one and the same and I'd wager he's a charter operator that isn't doing very well because he doesn't get repeat customers for good reason.
Such people often blame everyone but themselves for their misfortune.

I know an outfitter not far from here that would do something like that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2020, 03:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

state of stupidity...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Keg it says “covid stay home”
By gum I think you are right. I had trouble making it out but now that you said it I see the D, it' looked more like a Y to me and I was even less sure of the other letters.

Even so, a BC truck! Still probably his neighbor.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2020, 04:23 PM

It’s hard to make accurate letters while scraping metal lol
Old 04-05-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
My buddy got there last night to get his boat and bring it home, said that the marinas are full of charter boats
Of course there are charter boats in the marinas... most are owned by locals... None that I know of aré chartering. All are sitting tight waiting for this to pass...

Not to say the guy that owns the boat might not take his wife out in the harbour to try and catch dinner (their right just as people went ice fishing here)...
Old 04-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Gone Hunting

It seems to me awfully presumptuous to think one knows why any vehicle is parked in any particular place. Which clearly this vandal did.

For all he knew that could be someone responding to an emergency.
Even if he knew the owner of the truck and even if it were a local outfitter or recreational fisherman, he may still have been there for legitimate reasons.

That's what is so scary about this sort of thing. Anyone could be targeted no matter what they are doing. Plus, if the vandal thinks destroying personal property is his right, he may decide he is justified in taking a life under some circumstances.

I hope the authorities find him and toss his butt in jail for a good long time.
Maybe give him a bar of soap and chain him in the shower room.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-05-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It seems to me awfully presumptuous to think one knows why any vehicle is parked in any particular place. Which clearly this vandal did.

For all he knew that could be someone responding to an emergency.
Even if he knew the owner of the truck and even if it were a local outfitter or recreational fisherman, he may still have been there for legitimate reasons.

That's what is so scary about this sort of thing. Anyone could be targeted no matter what they are doing. Plus, if the vandal thinks destroying personal property is his right, he may decide he is justified in taking a life under some circumstances.

I hope the authorities find him and toss his butt in jail for a good long time.
Maybe give him a bar of soap and chain him in the shower room.
Keg the truck had a boat trailer behind it. There is nothing at all stating nobody can go fishing alone, with their family members or anyone lives with them. There was nothing illegitimate about it.

Anyone following Rupert news has noticed that the Mayor has stopped his rants online. He literally whipped people into a frenzy over albertans.

They are whining about the huge influx of alberta trailers there now, and actually there is only 1 more than was there all winter..

The mayor being blamed for the stupidity. He put out a call to action that was answered.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Keg the truck had a boat trailer behind it. There is nothing at all stating nobody can go fishing alone, with their family members or anyone lives with them. There was nothing illegitimate about it.

Anyone following Rupert news has noticed that the Mayor has stopped his rants online. He literally whipped people into a frenzy over albertans.

They are whining about the huge influx of alberta trailers there now, and actually there is only 1 more than was there all winter..

The mayor being blamed for the stupidity. He put out a call to action that was answered.
Exactly. even that trailer is not proof the owner was doing anything wrong or dangerous to public health yet the vandal clearly decided he was.

I don't know about the mayor saying anything but I don't doubt it. Most local officials are nothing more then the most popular village idiot.

That has been painfully obvious in this county for a while now.

And we don't have a lot to be proud of here either. Members of this site have made similar judgements to those that vandal made, in recent days.

I was accused of risking members life by suggesting we all get some sunshine. At no time have I suggested I or anyone ignore the social distancing rules or any other recommendation yet one AO member clearly decided I had.

Seems to me that it would not be surprising if such an individual were to key my truck to get his point across.
Publicly calling a fellow outdoorsman a windbag is not a lot better then keying his truck.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-05-2020, 07:46 PM

He is at it again now, again winding people up.
He is talking about changes being made, pandering to a group and the most often repeated questions are 'how do we stop the Albertan's, and how do we stop all coastal access to anyone not local'. BC is for BC only?

Nothing about flattening the curve, just stop Albertan's from fishing.

I am gaining more interest in wexit. Leave BC out

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 04-05-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 PM

I wouldn’t want to get caught messing with someones vehicle right beside the ocean. All I have to say about that..
Old 04-05-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:

I am gaining more interest in wexit. Leave BC out
i had to read that three times . has heck froze over ???? lol