Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM

KEN, I used to think you used common sense. ,,,,,,, not so much anymore. You totally missed the meaning of 'stay home'
Old 03-26-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
KEN, I used to think you used common sense. ,,,,,,, not so much anymore. You totally missed the meaning of 'stay home'
Jesus Christ. THATS 10 WEEKS AWAY

We have actually been doing it already, and AM UNTIL THE 3rd WEEK OF MAY again for those that can't read, but whatever.

IF there are still restrictions of course I won't go, but for now I am planning on living my life.

I will do mine, you do yours, ok sport?

I am not leaving the country, I am not having anything to do with anyone leaving the country.

Some of you people are just mind boggling.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-26-2020, 12:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I disagree (with your first line).

Marion Mitchell Morrison was an actor. As the actor John Wayne he played a hero. He never served, but brought smiles to countless faces

Can't say there are no hero's though.

Terry Fox was a hero.

I agree with the rest.

My cousin is my hero. She saved me from drowning.

I can name others.
Just pickin' is all Ken...your good people...

10 weeks away I hope this works out for you and everything is somewhat back to normal.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
nope...not there yet unless you where out of country then yup 14 days lockdown....the rest will enjoy social distancing....but if you want to sit inside all the power to ya!

good luck and stay healthy.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Just pickin' is all Ken...your good people...

10 weeks away I hope this works out for you and everything is somewhat back to normal.....
Same. Marion- now I know why Stallone had that name in Cobra. Emulating his hero.

And for all of us. It is making people stupid.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
nope...not there yet unless you where out of country then yup 14 days lockdown....the rest will enjoy social distancing....but if you want to sit inside all the power to ya!

good luck and stay healthy.
All I have to add to this conversation is one name, Typhoid Mary.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
Good grief.

You are in the wrong thread, the DOOM AND GLOOM thread is

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=378464

Old 03-26-2020, 04:46 PM

Check the net news, seems some places are massively over reacting, but in the end, who knows what it will take.

http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pa...9/default.aspx

Grizz
Old 03-26-2020, 06:04 PM

From the Mayor of Prince Rupert

Mayor Lee Brain
·
👉 Regarding the suspension of local states of emergency: my MOST important message to you all yet.

First, I want to start by saying that everything we have been doing in Prince Rupert, Haida Gwaii, Central Coast and Coast Tsimshian territories (along with many other locations in BC) has been to only enhance the orders of Dr. Bonnie Henry. We believe she is doing an amazing job handling the big picture issues and we have nothing but the upmost respect for her and her team during this difficult time.

Trying to create solutions for 160+ communities around this Province is no easy task, let me tell you.

In their role, it is unfortunately difficult to understand the many localized and specific issues that their team just does not have the time to see or address. These issues have been brought forward to us by our physicians and we believed as communities with limited resources that we needed to act now before it was too late.

I am, and have always been a team player with the Province. There are many times when I have been very upset with them during my almost 6 years as Mayor, but in the interest of unity for our Province and community, I have stayed on message and have gone with the flow.

Unfortunately today, the Province announced that effective immediately, ALL local states of emergency are now suspended.

👉 This means that all localized orders that we have put in place based on the recommendations of our local physicians are no longer enforceable by the law and are suspended.

The Province says that this is to ensure an 'all government' response to COVID-19. In so many ways I agree with that. However, we cannot be effective if we are stripped of the power to enforce local provisions that make sense for the situational issues on the ground.

They unfortunately believe that these measures have been causing panic, are 'patchwork', and are not inspiring confidence.

Folks, I will let YOU be the judge if that is a true reflection of how you have been feeling about our regional leadership.

So now their message is clear: we must wait for the Province to tell us what to do. We are to give them a list of our needs, respond to requests for information and supplies, and make all our facilities available to them. They also suggested that our 1 bylaw officer should go enforce their provincial orders...

What scares me the MOST now is we must wait for someone in Victoria to figure out that all people coming off of flights into Prince Rupert / Terrace / PG, or driving in from any location whatsoever should be forced to self-isolate for 14 days unless they are essential services and are not showing symptoms.

To us and our physicians, that just makes sense. To them, it was us going against the grain.

At this point, I am putting it all on the line for our community and region - and I am doing what I believe is right based on sound medical advice on the ground.

👉 Only history will judge who made the right decisions here or not.

You all read the letters from our physicians who have been sounding the alarm regarding what is really going on and why we needed to react differently up in the north.

The issues in the lower mainland vs rural communities are complex and nuanced. It takes time to figure out what the right approach is and right now, we just don't have the time to have the Province figure it out for us.

Over the past week and a half our communities have had major pressure from those above us to not declare a local state of emergency. In fact, we were told directly that if we declared a local state of emergency, they would rescind our orders.

👉 However, based on the advice of our physicians and with the health and safety of our residents in mind, as regions (North Coast and Central Coast), we decided to do it anyway.

Let me be clear: all the messages and orders from Dr. Bonnie Henry are VERY important and everyone MUST follow them as they are the LAW - however, the City, the Coast Tsimshian, Central Coast and Haida Gwaii communities knew deep down that was NOT going to be enough up here and decided we all needed to be working together on specific localized orders that make sense for our region.

After the emergency was declared, we immediately made specific localized orders to ensure that message got out to the residents when we had the power to do it before it was too late.

In the north our biggest threat are people traveling back home from the lower mainland (and elsewhere). When they get back, they are going into the grocery stores, back to work, etc.

👉 We made an order to end that as a region, period.

Now with a swoop of the hand, that is no longer enforceable.

It's why I specifically said this in my message yesterday:

"However, just imagine Prince Rupert residents just voluntarily bought into this order without it needing to be one."

👉 I said that to prime you for this outcome.

I have been working with the industries and the unions here to ensure the supply chain will continue but that we could also have more strict local measures in place to ensure the safety of our workforce, our families and healthcare professionals. We won't stop on that.

👉 At this juncture, your MLA Jennifer Rice and her colleagues at the Province believe they know best how to protect you and your families up here.

Only time will tell who did what was right and acted fast enough.

Luckily for us, we weren't afraid and made some big moves when we had the chance. We bought our doctors and nurses some valuable time. We got our community more solid as a team. We are more united as a region than ever before because of our actions (I don't see panic, I don't see confusion - just unity and pride).

👉 So what happens now.

I want everyone to know that our PRIMARY goal is to FULLY comply with the Province and we will NOT stray from what Dr. Bonnie Henry is saying (which has always been our primary message). We will continue to promote and enforce their orders.

At the end of the day, we do not have the time for division as we are all in this together and must act collectively on a united front. I have no hard feelings at the Province here but I WILL ensure my views are known for the history books.

I sincerely hope the Province listens to us more clearly moving forward and in my heart of hearts want to believe they will enact some of the measures we have presented.

👉 So here's what we are going to do: on top of promoting all provincial orders, we are going to make 'recommended' local orders anyway.

Yes, we have no way to enforce them, and we have no way to ask you to do anything legally speaking.

👉 But, I believe the people are with us. I believe you understand why we are doing what we are doing. We need your support now more than ever.

We are taking our direction from our physicians on the ground and I believe we just need to do what we need to do. Period.

👉 The only way it happens is all organizations, unions, industry, businesses and residents believe that we should enact localized provisions together and make it the law of the land ANYWAY.

Unfortunately any community issues moving forward regarding housing, childcare, homelessness, etc are to be sent to Jennifer Rice's office as her and her team are now in control. You can forward your concerns to Jennifer Rice by calling 250-624-7734 or e-mailing jennifer.rice.mla@leg.bc.ca.

👉 Despite all this, we will continue to do the work to help keep you and your family safe. With the help and guidance of our local medical professionals we will do whats best to protect our community and our region as a whole. We're all in this together.

With all the love in my heart,

Mayor Lee Brain
City of Prince Rupert

PS - We have some VERY positive news coming out soon regarding an initiative we have with our doctors and partners in the community that will be a game changer in our response to COVID-19.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:52 PM

WOW, is all I can say.
If anyone wants an instruction manual on how to cause fear and panic...here it is, in writing by the leader of the community.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:50 PM

So sit at home and wait for the all clear? From my point of view, that is what everyone has been trying to get across.

You can't spread the virus if you don't have it, the easiest way to not contract it, STAY AT HOME!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 PM

People here in Rupert are not getting the point that this pandemic is a serious threat and that our already understaffed and under resourced hospital (at the end of the supply chain) will be quickly overrun as we have only 2 ventilators and 20 spare beds for our town of 12000. Also the surrounding island communities would be dependant on our healthcare system..their are still groups of people hanging out and not believing that the virus could ever reach us....people are in denial...and now unfortunately the rules must be enforced. I believe our mayor is doing a great job and his concern for the community is warranted. Would rather see us over react then under react and watch a tragedy unfold here...
Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
People here in Rupert are not getting the point that this pandemic is a serious threat and that our already understaffed and under resourced hospital (at the end of the supply chain) will be quickly overrun as we have only 2 ventilators and 20 spare beds for our town of 12000. Also the surrounding island communities would be dependant on our healthcare system..their are still groups of people hanging out and not believing that the virus could ever reach us....people are in denial...and now unfortunately the rules must be enforced. I believe our mayor is doing a great job and his concern for the community is warranted. Would rather see us over react then under react and watch a tragedy unfold here...
It definitely means more hearing this from someone local.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
It definitely means more hearing this from someone local.
Thank you Ken.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
2m won't happen fishing, and anyone that fishes with me goes with me in the truck.
I can just picture it, 4 grown men wearing pampers.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydude View Post
Did the Alien abductions happen on a nightly basis? Or was it a one-time occurrence. Just askin…….
Old 03-28-2020, 11:44 AM

For those who wish to practice safe fishin.

D.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
sorry I don't like peach ice cream and I wash my hands too....

Old 03-28-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

D.

I thought you wouldn't post my pic.....

Old 03-28-2020, 02:04 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

D.

Funny !
Back in the 80s I caught my limit in Perch. It was over near Hinton on my way back to the park.
It was -30+ below & the fish froze quick.
Get a Motel & tossed the fish into the sink full of water.
Went to the bar & returned to most swimming around the sink & some laying on the floor !
Had to kill them a second time !
Old 03-28-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
You do things far differently than me. I suppose if you are 80 and the reflexes aren't there, not judging at all.
I imagine at your age or ability that wiping is likely a concern, do you do that for each other too?

Old 03-29-2020, 10:35 AM

Thumbs down

The BC charter guys are sure chirping because they are not allowed to take out multiple people fishing, they are mad as hell that recreational fishermen are out, saying not to sell gas to non-residents, and that the City should close the docks to non-residents.

I have a picture from one of the charter boats saying this, but postimage is down for maintenance right now, so can't put it up. If anyone is EVER thinking of getting a charter in Rupert, PM me and I will pass on the information the charter business himself put up.

I am all for containing a pandemic, but this particular group in Rupert is putting a noose around their own necks.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
2m won't happen fishing, and anyone that fishes with me goes with me in the truck.
Quote:
If my boat is there I can get all the way without a stop.
Quote:
I think you missed the joke.

On a serious note though, I see you are/were a fire fighter. From a fire fighter's perspective do you think during a lock down of the sort we are experiencing in Canada that individuals should be limiting outdoor activities that have an inherent degree of risk involved such as quading, sledding, and other adventurous activities?
It is my understanding that the preparedness process we are going through at present is for what is expected to occur in the future. Subjecting our emergency systems to any undue pressure at this time should not happen if it can be prevented. We should be giving these people as much time and space possible right now in order to deal with the present emergencies and prepare for the future situations.
For example, if we were to look at the 2013 Alberta statistics concerning ATV use alone, we would see there were 5,379 visits to emergency departments for injuries attributed to ATV use. If we were to add these emergencies into the mix in a time of great need it just doesn't make sense.
What's your view on this?
Old 03-30-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I think you missed the joke.

On a serious note though, I see you are/were a fire fighter. From a fire fighter's perspective do you think during a lock down of the sort we are experiencing in Canada that individuals should be limiting outdoor activities that have an inherent degree of risk involved such as quading, sledding, and other adventurous activities?
It is my understanding that the preparedness process we are going through at present is for what is expected to occur in the future. Subjecting our emergency systems to any undue pressure at this time should not happen if it can be prevented. We should be giving these people as much time and space possible right now in order to deal with the present emergencies and prepare for the future situations.
For example, if we were to look at the 2013 Alberta statistics concerning ATV use alone, we would see there were 5,379 visits to emergency departments for injuries attributed to ATV use. If we were to add these emergencies into the mix in a time of great need it just doesn't make sense.
What's your view on this?
Saw the joke, still am.
I agree 100% that people should not be congregating, that going to restaurants and bars and theatres and social gatherings should be stopped. As for families fishing, quadding, sledding, car crashes, medical calls etc the First Responders have been told the routine we have to follow including PPE as necessary and are taking precautions. If people are going to be stupid and go out jumping roads or similar it annoys us, but we (I) will never turn the radio off because of stupidity or just carelessness. People still need to get outside, if and when they can. I have spent countless hours in my garage, back and forth just to see the sun.

Anyone I know that is a ff/fr is volunteer, we go when the radio tones go, doesn't matter the circumstances or conditions. We are just careful as we can be.

Personally- life your life as long as you do not infect anyone else or allow yourself to be infected.

Good points. Well done Flydude.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The BC charter guys are sure chirping because they are not allowed to take out multiple people fishing, they are mad as hell that recreational fishermen are out, saying not to sell gas to non-residents, and that the City should close the docks to non-residents.

I have a picture from one of the charter boats saying this, but postimage is down for maintenance right now, so can't put it up. If anyone is EVER thinking of getting a charter in Rupert, PM me and I will pass on the information the charter business himself put up.

I am all for containing a pandemic, but this particular group in Rupert is putting a noose around their own necks.
Funny how Albertans get treated out there sometimes. Every year I get into a discussion about their fish we come out to catch. I politely remind them salt water fishing is a federal license and belongings to every Canadian equally. We still support the economy out there when we come out just like all the B.C. residents working in Alberta.

As far as only selling fuel to locals good luck to them. I’m sure the fuel stations will be more than happy to make whatever money they can. I would like to know the guide who posted that was though. Had a few heated exchanges with a couple that tried to give me the warm welcome.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Funny how Albertans get treated out there sometimes. Every year I get into a discussion about their fish we come out to catch. I politely remind them salt water fishing is a federal license and belongings to every Canadian equally. We still support the economy out there when we come out just like all the B.C. residents working in Alberta.

As far as only selling fuel to locals good luck to them. I’m sure the fuel stations will be more than happy to make whatever money they can. I would like to know the guide who posted that was though. Had a few heated exchanges with a couple that tried to give me the warm welcome.
PM gladly sent

Old 03-30-2020, 10:45 PM
Gone Hunting

What happed to common sense?

First, I am among the highest risk group, over 65, and I have heart and lung issues.
I refuse to lay down and die because some flue is going around. The way I see it there are two ways to die. There is natures way, heart attack, cancer, disease, accident, ext.

Then there is the self imposed way, in other words, social isolation, put life on hold, cower in the dark. It's the worst kind of death.

we are all going to die some day. Isolating won't change that or add one day to our allotted time.

Who knows, this may be the worst flue ever, or just more of the same. At this point no one, not even the most educated and experienced professional can possibly know for sure. For now all we have is projections and guesses. It's all there can be. There has been no time for studies, historic data or any of the factors needed for an informed determination as to what we might be facing.

Do I advocate embracing my neighbors who may have the flue? Of course not. Not even if no one had ever heard about this Corvid-19.

Give us credit for some common sense. No one wants to get sick.
But I also know that in past flue outbreaks I did not self isolate or follow the present recommendations and I did not get sick every time there was a flue going around. But I did get the flue a few times over the years, even when living so far off the grid that missionaries were sent in to convert us.

As for Ken, I side with him on this one. There is zero reason to suspend a trip such as this.
First, getting out in the sunshine is probably the smartest thing anyone can do right now. UV light kills any virus. Plus sunshine and activity keeps ones system healthy and strong. Isolating make us weak and vulnerable.

Second. I've been on trips to Rupert, I have more close contact with people when I go grocery shopping then I do traveling to the coast and back.

Last but not least. this whole thing sends my BS meter right off the charts.

Where was it first encountered? Why in China I believe, the highest, densest population on earth. 1,408,526,449 in a country just a bit smaller then Canada. But only 37,818 deaths after 3 1/2 months of the virus.
They are now reporting that for them the worst is over.

At that rate we should see less then 997 deaths from this flue.
Canada's average death rate due to the flue runs around 3,500 per year.

To put that in prospective, Diabetes kills nearly 7,000 per year. Heart disease kills another 14,000 and cancer kills 71,000. In Canada alone!

I have no desire to get the flue, any flue. I will take the same precautions I take any flue season. And I sure as beans ain't gonna put my life on hold to please some media feeding frenzy fueled hysteria.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-31-2020, 12:12 AM

Wink

^^ Ditto - a life lived in fear is a life half lived

except a 'flue' is a chimney, influenza is 'flu'.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 AM

I guess now it’s more clear why some States like Washington have completely closed Sportfishing. If you let one, you have to let all....

The reason some in Rupert are asking people that are not from the community to hold off on their fishing trips (for now), is because they are trying to limit the spread of Covid-19... Not because they are trying to keep the fish for themselves. When people are asked to remain within their household, family unit, and local community, it is for a reason. It’s especially obvious when you have plates from another province in the parking lot at the boat launch that you have little regard for these recommendations. Rest assured the people in Rupert have no problem calling out BC residents from Terrace, Smithers, PG, and elsewhere for their choices if they come too. They are trying to do their part to limit this, and get it over with as soon as possible so life can continue...

I hear some saying “I have no symptoms, and limit contact “... Well, a few things with that... Not all people are careful and cautious. With up to 25% infected with Covid being Asymptomatic (no symptoms), and are still able to infect others, this is a huge concern. At one time in Newfoundland, one infected person went to 2 funerals, and was linked to infecting over 40 people of the 60 total in the province... Would you be willing to chance that you may be the one to do that to a community over a Salmon?

I want to get there and fish as much as anyone. Not only for personal fishing, but to do my charters as well. This accounts for 50% of my annual income, and some of us have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in this, and that’s why we try to comply and limit this spread.It is far more than loosing out on a few days of fishing we have been looking forward to all year, for some of us our livelihood is on the line... It’s not that charters don’t want Albertan’s (I am one) to bring their own boats. Any good charters are usually booked solid, and could care less if Frank and Earl want to bring their boat and do it themselves... Sure some charter operators who have addiction issues, or run less than stellar operations look for anyone to blame but themselves for their failing business, but overall, it’s not about that. It’s about limiting the spread, and nothing more.

People say “Its okay to go for a walk, or go Ice Fishing, so what difference is it if we go to the coast?”... Well it’s like this. If people that live in Canmore wish to go for a walk, and practice personal distance, No Problem. If hundreds, or thousands from outside that community said “Let’s go for a walk in Canmore, so we can enjoy the mountains”, the risk of spread grows exponentially. That a concern for Rupert, and there are limited entry points to the ocean, and services once you get there... Not everyone will use gloves when fuelling up, or respect spacial distance. It’s not about spreading fear, or living ones life. Yes we’re all gonna die some day, but none of these are a reason to not exercise common sense in these trying times...

Hopefully this crisis will ease soon to the point where it is safe for us all to get back on the water... Until then Common Sense and Respect is greatly appreciated... And for god’s sake Wash Your Fekking Hands!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:12 AM

Good post Travis.

I do not charter, but I do have hundreds of thousands invested. Fishing is the ONLY recreation I have, and I look forward to it all year. It is the only time I can get any kind of wild meat, I do not hunt and the wife won't cook it.

If I miss this year, and the next, I go the year after. If there is a risk that I will catch or pass the virus, I won't go.

Some charter guides are very ignorant towards Albertans, I have proof of it. Guys have also PM'd me telling me stories about BC guides trying to smash them into the rocks.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-31-2020 at 11:21 AM.