Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 10:01 PM

Default Prince Rupert state of emergency

Hey everyone,

Prince Rupert just declared a state of emergency. A lot of things were discussed including charter fishing. As of right now it would seem that all charter fishing has been closed for the next three months. Not sure if this affects any of you good people but if you have a charter booked in Prince Rupert coming up I highly recommend you call your charter guide.

The state of emergency was declared at city counsel this evening and will be put into law in the coming days. Anyone coming into Prince Rupert will have to self isolate for 14 days regardless where they came from. Pretty much if you came from terrace or beyond self isolate for 14 days. Crazy stuff
Old 03-24-2020, 09:09 AM

As of right now it is for 7 days.

A charter owner is on the way there right now to set up.

Another buddy is fishing there as of yesterday.

Not sure what to think

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
As of right now it is for 7 days.

A charter owner is on the way there right now to set up.

Another buddy is fishing there as of yesterday.

Not sure what to think
Think of fishing Ken, I can’t think of a better thing to think.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:50 AM
Banned

think of NOT fishing ken.........it's the responsible way to act.

hate to see it affect all those charter guys tho
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
think of NOT fishing ken.........it's the responsible way to act.

hate to see it affect all those charter guys tho
Ken isn’t a charter captain, he’s got his own boat set up for fishing the west coast. What better way to self isolate?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ken isn’t a charter captain, he’s got his own boat set up for fishing the west coast. What better way to self isolate?
And give corona virus to the fish ?

Grizz
Old 03-24-2020, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
And give corona virus to the fish ?

Grizz
Dead fish don’t talk!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Dead fish don’t talk!
yup and get pooped out....

This virus hits all social gathering areas...hard to run a business if you depend on just that.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2020, 03:53 PM

I talked to Harbour Patrol in Rupert, who said there were countless calls coming to them about people in boats ignoring the 'orders in place' and that there would be enforcement around PR.

Then I phoned the Coast guard, after hearing that there are going to be chains across the boat launch, who said there is nothing in place at this time, and there is nothing stopping anyone from accessing and fishing the ocean(s) as long as they have proper registration and of course fishing license.

The rumor mill is going overtime on this one.

A couple guys are there and on the way there right now, I will give update as more info comes in.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 PM

The City of Prince Rupert knows nothing about blocking access to the ocean, buddy just got off the phone with them.

I dont have cows to put in the freezer but theres still a chance there will be salmon and halibut.

Rushbrook boat dock is open but cow bay marina is closed

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-24-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:28 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...oast-1.5508495

Here is a link regarding Prince Rupert.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:57 AM

The concern isn't around the activity itself. Its about appropriate physical distancing. Maintaining a distance of 2m from others for the duration of a trip would be very difficult on some of those boats. Guys with their own boats are fine, as long as they're able to ensure that physical distancing guidelines are adhered to if there are others on their boat.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
The concern isn't around the activity itself. Its about appropriate physical distancing. Maintaining a distance of 2m from others for the duration of a trip would be very difficult on some of those boats. Guys with their own boats are fine, as long as they're able to ensure that physical distancing guidelines are adhered to if there are others on their boat.
2m won't happen fishing, and anyone that fishes with me goes with me in the truck.

There will be no face licking, unless some of the salt fishing girls (google is your friend) decide they want to slum-it for a week or so on my boat

Old 03-25-2020, 10:48 AM

I haven’t called yet but will tomorrow about the local hotels I’m to assume they will be open. Might be the year we sleep out on the boat.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
, unless some of the salt fishing girls (google is your friend) decide they want to slum-it for a week or so on my boat
Old 03-25-2020, 05:45 PM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...n__=%2As%2As-R

Here is the link from the Mayor of Prince Rupert.

If anyone leaves Rupert and returns, it's isolation for 14 days. If you come to Rupert, you isolate for 14 days.

I guess one could enter Rupert put their boat in the water and leave right away but people staying at a hotel while this is going on will be isolating for 14 days. Crazy times indeed.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:51 PM

So your saying it’s two weeks of fishing and very sore wrists.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...n__=%2As%2As-R

Here is the link from the Mayor of Prince Rupert.

If anyone leaves Rupert and returns, it's isolation for 14 days. If you come to Rupert, you isolate for 14 days.

I guess one could enter Rupert put their boat in the water and leave right away but people staying at a hotel while this is going on will be isolating for 14 days. Crazy times indeed.
or, in short terms they are saying 'stay away from Rupert' which of course so many will not do, and really is ridiculous to ask.

The ONLY reason they can do that at all is because they are the very end of highway 16, any further you are in salt water. They reference the lack of ventilators at the hospital and their aging COPD population which could not withstand an outbreak.

Coast guard says the Mayor can not block access to/from the ocean but we will see how it plays out.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
So your saying it’s two weeks of fishing and very sore wrists.
2 weeks of fishing is just a good start!

Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
or, in short terms they are saying 'stay away from Rupert' which of course so many will not do, and really is ridiculous to ask.

The ONLY reason they can do that at all is because they are the very end of highway 16, any further you are in salt water. They reference the lack of ventilators at the hospital and their aging COPD population which could not withstand an outbreak.

Coast guard says the Mayor can not block access to/from the ocean but we will see how it plays out.
Personally I don’t think it’s ‘ridiculous’ to ask. There’s no way guys are going to drive there without stopping numerous times along the way and then again when getting to Rupert to get a few supplies (however few they might be) and fuel... They don’t need the extra strain if people bring Covid19 with them...
Time to stay home and let this sort itself out.

Just my 2cents, but I’m seeing an amazing amount of people that can’t see the bigger picture...
Old 03-25-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Personally I don’t think it’s ‘ridiculous’ to ask. There’s no way guys are going to drive there without stopping numerous times along the way and then again when getting to Rupert to get a few supplies (however few they might be) and fuel... They don’t need the extra strain if people bring Covid19 with them...
Time to stay home and let this sort itself out.

Just my 2cents, but I’m seeing an amazing amount of people that can’t see the bigger picture...
If my boat is there I can get all the way without a stop. Towing I need to stop and fuel up, but will not be touching anything without at least gloves.

If I can go I am going, unless I pick up the virus somewhere then of course I will stay home.

I have not left the country, I have no symptoms, I will not be a risk to Rupert.

I have been talking to friends in Rupert, this is as much political as it is for health reasons, there is immense pressure from certain groups.

Besides me sitting out on the ocean poses no risk to anyone in Rupert, and I am hoping in a couple months there is a handle on this. I am not planning on going until 3rd week of May at the earliest.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
If my boat is there I can get all the way without a stop. Towing I need to stop and fuel up, but will not be touching anything without at least gloves.

If I can go I am going, unless I pick up the virus somewhere then of course I will stay home.

I have not left the country, I have no symptoms, I will not be a risk to Rupert.

I have been talking to friends in Rupert, this is as much political as it is for health reasons, there is immense pressure from certain groups.

Besides me sitting out on the ocean poses no risk to anyone in Rupert, and I am hoping in a couple months there is a handle on this. I am not planning on going until 3rd week of May at the earliest.
you know ken, almost everyone here feels you are a hero, and i absolutely agree you have done a LOT of really good stuff.........i must agree with others though, that his seems to be self interest at it's finest. to hell with the virus or trying to do what's right in trying t contain it.

what kind of an example are you trying to set?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
you know ken, almost everyone here feels you are a hero, and i absolutely agree you have done a LOT of really good stuff.........i must agree with others though, that his seems to be self interest at it's finest. to hell with the virus or trying to do what's right in trying t contain it.

I'm not trying to set any example. I'm also not going to wither and die in my house. People are ice fishing. Working. Living.

You are saying that everyone here should not fish, hunt, camp, hike, drive forever?

We have self isolated already from the fear my daughter returning from mexico may have given it to us.

When we met them to give the grandkids back we were upwind outside amd there was no contact.
Us getting through that with them showing zero symptoms and now us being the same is almost a new lease on life. I have bad lungs from firefighting 40 years, the first 30 without Scba protection. I was scared to death of being infected, nearly as scared as the lung cancer I know will come.

I know how I will die, and until then if I am able to enjoy the outdoors without affecting infecting or being infected by anyone, I am going to do it.

I do not leave until the 3rd week of may. 2 months from now. In the 24 hour drive 1 way I will interact with nobody outside of my truck. When I stop for fuel I pay at the pump and have gloves on.

When I get to the dock I will launch the boat and come back in 2 weeks. My only interaction with anyone will be every 3-6 days when I get fuel. I wear gloves now when I fuel my truck, and have not stepped foot in any store in 3 weeks. It will be the same there.

How are my future plans a concern in any way?

Forgot- there is a very slight chance that I may be exposed to it because I am a first responder and firefighter. All of us that do this are under strict orders for protection and rules for engaging victims. If I do come into contact with someone that possibly has it there is no way I would go anywhere without being cleared first.

Also I am not going to stop responding to fire and medical calls because of this.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-26-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 AM

Finally, someone who is not afraid to apply some common sense and logic to the situation.

Go and enjoy the fishing Ken.

I will be doing much the same thing come the middle of May, although not at Prince Rupert.

I will travel to a remote area and camp and fish by myself with no interaction with other humans. That's about as safe as it gets IMO.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 AM

this whole c-19 thing is changing hourly . everyone should be making plans for two months from now . obviously be prepared to modify if necessary as the time comes but our reality today will change next month and again in two months . its today that we need to be prudent . imo .
Old 03-26-2020, 09:02 AM

Well said Ken my trips out there I interact with very few people in face less people than going down to the grocery store yesterday. I’ll likely be out there the same time maybe do some social distancing hello’s trolling passed each other.

I do that drive in a 14 hour straight run usually getting there an hour before it’s time to launch and head out for the early morning bite. I’ve been practicing this scenario for years always have gloves on paying at the pump packing food for the drive and not going into the stores.

I took my family out of Calgary a week and a half ago we’re self isolating up at the family acreage with little to no contact with the public. Hopefully things will settle down in the next two months allowing the trip to happen.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Hero....nope....only John Wayne is a hero.....carry on.

Tight lines everyone....follow social distancing rules....getting back into Canada 14 days self isolation etc.....no one here knows anything better than the medical experts.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Finally, someone who is not afraid to apply some common sense and logic to the situation.

Go and enjoy the fishing Ken.

I will be doing much the same thing come the middle of May, although not at Prince Rupert.

I will travel to a remote area and camp and fish by myself with no interaction with other humans. That's about as safe as it gets IMO.
Eww don't use common sense and logic as an application to people....many different versions out there.....

The hills are calling....

Old 03-26-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hero....nope....only John Wayne is a hero.....carry on.

Tight lines everyone....follow social distancing rules....getting back into Canada 14 days self isolation etc.....no one here knows anything better than the medical experts.
I disagree (with your first line).

Marion Mitchell Morrison was an actor. As the actor John Wayne he played a hero. He never served, but brought smiles to countless faces

Can't say there are no hero's though.

Terry Fox was a hero.

I agree with the rest.

My cousin is my hero. She saved me from drowning.

I can name others.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I talked to Harbour Patrol in Rupert, who said there were countless calls coming to them about people in boats ignoring the 'orders in place' and that there would be enforcement around PR.

Then I phoned the Coast guard, after hearing that there are going to be chains across the boat launch, who said there is nothing in place at this time, and there is nothing stopping anyone from accessing and fishing the ocean(s) as long as they have proper registration and of course fishing license.
The rumor mill is going overtime on this one.
A couple guys are there and on the way there right now, I will give update as more info comes in.
Forgot to say this- the Harbour Patrol I talked to also owns 2 boats in Rupert, is a charter captain. He is telling Albertan's to stay away, maybe because he can not take out customers and is simply not explaining the 2nd part to recreational fishermen, which serves his own self interest.

Just a theory that many of us have talked about.