Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2020, 05:52 PM

Default Bread makers

Well the wife and I have been tossing the idea around forever. Now seems a good time to get one, as who knows who's been handling store bread. Any recommendations? I have been snooping around and leaning to this one.
https://www.cuisinart.ca/CBK-200C.html?lang=en

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well the wife and I have been tossing the idea around forever. Now seems a good time to get one, as who knows who's been handling store bread. Any recommendations? I have been snooping around and leaning to this one.
Don't know anything about breakers. Me and my wife just got this one yesterday lol

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00067REBU/..._C2QDEbBYR170B

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-21-2020, 06:30 PM

Good idea and very rewarding!

Personally I sold my bread maker a few years ago after delving into sourdough breads.

A crock pot and oven is all that you need to make delicious rustic sour dough bread. Most store bought bread tastes like air to me now.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 06:30 PM

We have a Panasonic that is about 20 years old now , Maybe older!
Throw the ingredients in , set the timer and wake up to the smell of fresh bread in the morning!
Cat
Old 03-21-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post

Personally I sold my bread maker a few years ago after delving into sourdough breads.

A crock pot and oven is all that you need to make delicious rustic sour dough bread. Most store bought bread tastes like air to me now.

Beautiful!
Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM

We bought the Cuisinart Bread Maker about 3 years ago, used it for 6 months it's been sitting on the shelf after the novelty wore off.
We made some good bread, the shape of loaf is a rectangle doesn't fit well into a toaster and makes huge sandwich bread. Comes with a good recipe book lots of different kinds the pumpernickel was my favorite, just dump all the ingredients 6 hours later you have bread.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Artisan Breads are rapidly becoming my favorite pastime. Your's look fantastic!!
Old 03-21-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Beautiful!
X2 I have to try that
Old 03-21-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We have a Panasonic that is about 20 years old now , Maybe older!
Throw the ingredients in , set the timer and wake up to the smell of fresh bread in the morning!
Cat
I sold a hundred of those back in the day. Fantastic quality.
My breville I have now is very good with the seperate fruit/nut dispenser but maybe not as good as the old Panasonic.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:05 AM

I have 6 B&D. I make 12 loves of bread at a sitting, 2 loaves per machine, they are all white. I stick with B&D because I have had all of the rest and I still like the B&D. It takes 2 hours longer but what the h____. The trick is to finish them off, I mean baking, in a oven. You then can expieament with other changes but you will come back to the white. I have baker pans and I spray them with PAM and away I go. I buy the bread machines at Salvation Army for $10.00 a piece.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:37 AM

Got one years ago from the MIL when she went to assisted living, used it regularly until it finally crapped out, never replaced it ????? not really sure why as it made great bread

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 AM

We had one, used it for a while the loaves came out as bricks (even though we followed the recipe ) the thing got put in the cupboard and eventually ended up at Sally Ann. Now we buy our bread at Cobbs , love their breads made from scratch daily, and they wear gloves to handle the loaves.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 AM

Had a Cuisinart and made lots of good bread with it. Then it died. Got a Black and Decker and a Hitachi - neither worked as well as the cuisinart. Now we make it with the stand mixer and the oven - better bread than we ever got from any bread maker.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:58 AM

My wife has made 100’s of loaves of bread with a Kitchenaid mixer and the oven. The worm gear went on it three months ago, but $20 later and I had it fixed and back up running again.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-22-2020, 09:01 AM

I make Artisan breads, Im a excellent Chef but never did much for baked goods until the past few months.
I actually do not even eat bread but the wife and kids love it.

I made a Artisan green onion & bacon bread the other day and I do not think the loaf made it a few hours, apparently it was deadly.

All my Artisan breads are made in a dutch oven, regular breads are made in a regular bread pan. I do not use a bread maker.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Bread

I have made my own for quite awhile now. Extra work but well worth it. I use the kitchen aid and oven. Makes the best toast ever.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:21 PM

Got my bread maker quite a few years ago. Awesome all the time. Would not trade for nothing. Love her to no end. Thanks Bonny. Warm bread made with a warm heart. Cut a nice thick slice and broil in oven to toasty brown, smother in butter. I'm doing the HOMER drool again.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:20 PM
Gone Hunting

My wife uses a B&D brand bread maker, but only to do the hard work involved in bread making. She bakes the loaves in normal bread pans in our oven.

We were never happy with the hole in the bottom of the loaf, or the shape of the loaf when the machine did the baking.

Really all the machine does is mix and bake, you still have to do everything else so why not form the dough into loaves and bake it in you oven to get more conventional shaped loaves? That's has always been the easy part.

While we are on the subject of bread making, you all might find the Tangzhong Method interesting.

It's explained here, https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog...n-to-tangzhong

They also have lots of great tips and recipes for bakers.

For a bread machine Tangzhong bread recipe you could try; http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/340...-bread-machine

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-22-2020, 05:43 PM

That's what we do too - baking in the oven delivers much nicer bread. Take the dough out of the machine, loaf it, let it raise 30 minutes, paint the top with a beaten egg and convection bake (from a cold oven) 26 minutes at 375. Perfect bread every time.

Oh, and don't forget to make the odd bannock once in a while. A guy's gotta keep his skills up!
Old 03-22-2020, 05:59 PM

seems like most breadmakers are sold out everywhere lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-22-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
seems like most breadmakers are sold out everywhere lol
Ya but the flour at a lot of places are gone. Not much need for a bread maker then. Good thing we don't need any yet.
Sunday bread and biscuits with home made soup
Old 03-22-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I sold a hundred of those back in the day. Fantastic quality.
My breville I have now is very good with the seperate fruit/nut dispenser but maybe not as good as the old Panasonic.

You sold or Leo, Roger, and Ray did?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Hey Oldan G. I will try your method of cooking bread loaves in convection oven starting from cold.

We have had a few different breadmakers over our 50 years of homemaking they all worked ok, but like the one that made big laves I think it was 2 lbs. But found the best bread system was to let the machine do the mixing and the first raise. then transfer dough to bread pans for final raise and cook in the oven.

Now use kitchen aid. And often experiment with creativity in bread making.

Can’t remember when we last bought bread from store.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I had this one years ago and it died fairly quickly (after warranty of course).

As others have suggested try without first. I know a bread maker is set it and forget it but the bread is subpar.

If you have a dutch oven or a turkey roaster with lid (Canadian Tire sells them for $15-25) you are much more flexible and the bread will be much better. If you like sourdough, I can help you with that too (there is another thread already going here). Bread makers can't be used for sourdough btw.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-23-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post

Love it!!!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 AM

We've had the older version of this Zojurishi for probably five years baking every day or second day. Solid machine.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
I have 6 B&D. I make 12 loves of bread at a sitting, 2 loaves per machine, they are all white. I stick with B&D because I have had all of the rest and I still like the B&D. It takes 2 hours longer but what the h____. The trick is to finish them off, I mean baking, in a oven. You then can expieament with other changes but you will come back to the white. I have baker pans and I spray them with PAM and away I go. I buy the bread machines at Salvation Army for $10.00 a piece.
I gotta ask....why do you make 12 loaves a day?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:59 AM

I start my machines, all 6 of them and let do the dirty work, which is kneading and so forth. It takes about 3 hrs. I start by setting the machines up, then I have about 3 hrs of relaxing or whatever. In the meantime I coat the trays with Pam, that takes about 1 min. Then I put them into the oven for 35 mins or so and I have 12 loafs of bread. Do I come with the bread that these guys are talking, NO WAY, but I have 12 loafs of bread. Almost forgot, I wrap individual in that sticky stuff and put them into the freezer, the ones I have left, that is. It last me about 2 weeks or more, and then I do it again. I hope I have answered your questions, if not see me on the forum.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:55 AM

wow, who would have thought that a bread maker would be so hard to find.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:15 AM

I have a Panasonic, the first two broke, but this one has made hundreds of loaves. There bread is consistent and delicious. I make pizza dough, pretzels, and a few other things. I have a book with 300 recipes so far I've made 10 of them and all worked out well

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk