Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2020, 01:27 PM

Here is mine.

Self isolation has rekindled my interest in bread baking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anything_but_fish View Post
True, but it makes good bread. Maybe time to invest in a mill...
Community Natural Foods has cheaper organic flours. Highwood too but as I said too expensive for me. Good source is also Daybreak Mill in SK. They ship for fairly decent rates (and Community has their flours too).

Mill, yes! I love mine. It's a whole new level of tastiness. I buy whole grains (you can store them for decades) from Community Natural Foods in 20kg bulk bags. Red Fife Wheat comes from Strathmore for example. Great stuff!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-19-2020, 02:37 PM

Oh just one thing on milling yourself. You are milling whole grain flours. You can't really produce good white flours at home like AP or bread flour. I usually do a mix 50/50 with some fresh milled ancient grain is amazing.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-19-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Sourdough

I have my regular bread myself for years and always wanted to try sourdough so here I have all the ideas I need to go ahead. Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Oh just one thing on milling yourself. You are milling whole grain flours. You can't really produce good white flours at home like AP or bread flour. I usually do a mix 50/50 with some fresh milled ancient grain is amazing.
Do you have any advice on mills? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anything_but_fish View Post
Do you have any advice on mills? Thanks in advance!
Well, I have a KomoMio and I love it. I can't talk about anything else. The reason why I went for the KomoMio is that you can buy an interchangeable silicone milling system ($100 or so) and use it for oil-y or stronger scented stuff like herbal roots or coffee for example. I like that option. Also it comes with a 12 year warranty and it made of wood and not plastic.
Komo is from Austria and they employ mostly disabled people that wouldn't be able to work a regular job. I have seen that concept in Europe and it's a great opportunity for these people.
The mill is super easy to use you can set it and leave it there. There is no cleaning necessary apart from running white rice now and then to clean the milling stones. You switch it on, add the grains, wait until it's done and switch it off. The flour is super fine.
The one thing is ... pricey.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:17 PM

We mixed up a starter last night. I can see a few bubbles in there so it seems to be at least starting to work.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
We mixed up a starter last night. I can see a few bubbles in there so it seems to be at least starting to work.
Cool! Keep us posted on how it's going

Old 03-20-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Cool! Keep us posted on how it's going
Thanks! I will post updates. What is the proper consistency? It seemed super thick so I thinned it a bit more.

I don’t have a kitchen scale.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I will post updates. What is the proper consistency? It seemed super thick so I thinned it a bit more.

I don’t have a kitchen scale.
Thicker pancake batter I would say.
If you have any way of getting a scale that's really the one thing you need. Cups will make your life real hard. It might be ok for cakes but breads...uah

Old 03-22-2020, 10:52 AM

We’re three days in and our starter seems to be doing very well. It’s doubling in size overnight and very bubbly. I’ve fed it with 3 different lots of flour hoping to increase the varieties of yeast in it. I’m starting to smell some sourness but I’m a little stuffed up today so my nose isn’t working well.

I’ve arranged to borrow a scale which I won’t have until Monday. I’ve been trying feed it at 100% hydration. The kids are excited and want to help with feeding it every night and checking on it during the day.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 PM

Amazing! I made a sourdough ciabatta yesterday, and the wife ate it before I had a chance to take a picture.

The dough was so wobbly--almost like a cloud and super oozy before putting it in the oven.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:02 PM

Ok, since I've never done this, and this thread got my attention. A question for you who make sour dough, after you get the initial batch mixed how thick should it be? Thick enough so it slowly drips off a fork, or thicker so you could actually roll it into a ball if you so desired? Guess I should have read the last few post. Still if someone could answer me it will help.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:58 PM

There's a bunch of different starter consistencies depending on who you ask. My advice is to pick one version online (lots of people use the king arthur flour recipe for sourdough starter which is available for free online), starting with that, and then honing it from there.

I use rye/all purpose for my starter. Don't forget to name your new pet.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:05 PM

Part of my message got cut off because I'm technologically inept, sorry.

Basically my starter changes consistency over about a week--I feed it once a week and at the beginning it is pretty chunky or lumpy--think a very thick pancake batter--and then towards the end of the week it gets stringy and can start to smell sour as the yeast and bacteria break down the gluten etc.

Typically, I'll refresh it once a week and leave it in the fridge. Its been super easy for me over the past couple years.

I found Jim Lahey's "Sullivan Street Bakery" cookbook to be the go to sourdough cookbook. He goes through everything including setting up a starter. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2020, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. Gives me something to go by. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:51 AM

Oh super cool guys! I am glad to see some people picking up the bread making hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Ok, since I've never done this, and this thread got my attention. A question for you who make sour dough, after you get the initial batch mixed how thick should it be? Thick enough so it slowly drips off a fork, or thicker so you could actually roll it into a ball if you so desired? Guess I should have read the last few post. Still if someone could answer me it will help.
It depends a bit on the flour but aim for a thick pancake batter. If you use a scale and go with 50/50 flour and water you are good. Sometimes the initial mix takes a bit more water but after it should be fine. Rye typically is a bit drier so you can use a bit more water for that.

Early bubbles are good but don't get disappointed if it stops. Keep feeding it and wait. Early on it's mostly bacteria. What we want to do is build up acidity (fermenting flour) and that takes a bit of time. Some are ready in a week, some can take over three weeks. Biggest factor is usually temperature. Just hang in there. A sure tell sign is when the starter rises reliably after each feeding. I would want to see that for 3 days or so (6 feedings) and at least doubling in size within 6 hours.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:00 PM

Another question. Do you guys cover the bowl, if that's what u use, with a cloth or with saran wrap? I've been using a cloth but get a hard dried out crust I have to remove before I can add to it every night.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:05 PM

I love the texture of sourdough, but the flavor can be a little intense.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-26-2020, 08:24 PM

I’ve been using a Pyrex bowl with a lid and leaving it loose.

My starter was coming along good and rising well but it has really diminished the last few days. I may have let it get too warm but I’m not certain if that’s the cause. I realized also that I had moved towards it being thinner; I only added flour tonight.

I’m still seeing some bubbles and hootch though so I don’t think it’s completely dead.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Another question. Do you guys cover the bowl, if that's what u use, with a cloth or with saran wrap? I've been using a cloth but get a hard dried out crust I have to remove before I can add to it every night.
Yes always.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I’ve been using a Pyrex bowl with a lid and leaving it loose.

My starter was coming along good and rising well but it has really diminished the last few days. I may have let it get too warm but I’m not certain if that’s the cause. I realized also that I had moved towards it being thinner; I only added flour tonight.

I’m still seeing some bubbles and hootch though so I don’t think it’s completely dead.
Initial activity is usually bacteria. That dies down and now we are going yeast and getting it more acidic. It’s normal. Hang in there. Hooch means it’s hungry!

Old 03-27-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I love the texture of sourdough, but the flavor can be a little intense.
Sourdough doesn’t have to be sour. The “sour” actually means fermented doesn’t come from sour as in flavour. If you are talking store bought it’s typically not real sourdough. Also SF sourdough is intentionally soured flavour.
I bet with my bread you can’t tell whether it’s made with yeast or sourdough. It’s more of a method really.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:00 AM

This isn't specific to sourdough but it could be useful to the bread bakers on the forum. Now that many stores are short of yeast you can make your own yeast from scratch.

In a jar, combine 1 quarter cup of flour (unbleached) with 2 tablespoons of sugar and enough beer ,(use Corona for pun's sake) to make a very soft dough. Cover, and leave at room temperature to ferment. Takes a few days. You can keep feeding your yeast every time to take from it add a little flour. You will have yeast forever.

Second method
Boil and peel a medium potato and mash it. Let it cool to be warm, but not hot. Add a teaspoon of sugar, warm water and flour until you get a very soft dough.put in a jar cover loosely and leave in a warm place (on top of fridge works well) takes about 5 days to ferment and ready to use

Both of your yeasts you can freeze in an ice cube tray and when you need it thaw out as much as you need. It will come alive and be as good as new.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Initial activity is usually bacteria. That dies down and now we are going yeast and getting it more acidic. It’s normal. Hang in there. Hooch means it’s hungry!
Hey Josey. Did you ever build a wood fired oven?
I have everything to build mine, just waiting for the weather to improve so I can build it. Need a little warmer weather for the cement to set.

I love making home made breads. Dutch oven style when we're out camping in the woods.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:17 AM

Default Sourdough

Well now you’ve started something...

I got a sourdough starter going about 3 days ago and it’s bubbling away.

Same time I started a commercial yeast starter like the French and Italians do,
I always do this for pizza but rarely for bread. Yesterday I used the Dutch oven method and made a loaf with it..it’s yummy.

Here’s a fantastic website for everything baking, I refer to it a lot for my classes.
https://bakerbettie.com/
Old 03-30-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Hey Josey. Did you ever build a wood fired oven?
I have everything to build mine, just waiting for the weather to improve so I can build it. Need a little warmer weather for the cement to set.

I love making home made breads. Dutch oven style when we're out camping in the woods.
I haven't yet. I need somebody to build a decent one for me. This is turning into quite the obsession so I don't just want a little pizza oven. I want some brick built bread oven. On the other hand I am not sure if it makes sense with our long winters.
I would love it if you post about your project though!

Old 03-30-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Well now you’ve started something...

I got a sourdough starter going about 3 days ago and it’s bubbling away.

Same time I started a commercial yeast starter like the French and Italians do,
I always do this for pizza but rarely for bread. Yesterday I used the Dutch oven method and made a loaf with it..it’s yummy.

Here’s a fantastic website for everything baking, I refer to it a lot for my classes.
https://bakerbettie.com/
We got you roped in, eh?
How do you make your yeast starter? Is it like a pate fermentee?
I used up almost all my yeast and can't find any in store.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
We got you roped in, eh?
How do you make your yeast starter? Is it like a pate fermentee?
I used up almost all my yeast and can't find any in store.
For pizza I start the yeast in the normal way, but only add part of the flour for the dough, let it sit overnight to bubble. When I went to school this was called a sponge.
Next day add the rest of the flour and make pizza dough. The dough is more flavourful and stretches way more nicely.

So I did the same and got it bubbling for a couple days, then took half out added more water to it and made my bread as usual. The 1/2 sponge that was left on the counter, I added some water and flour to keep it going.
Pretty unsophisticated but it works.

I have a true “wild” sourdough bubbling away too, it’s in its 5th day and looking “healthy” or unhealthy which ever way you want to look at it.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
For pizza I start the yeast in the normal way, but only add part of the flour for the dough, let it sit overnight to bubble. When I went to school this was called a sponge.
Next day add the rest of the flour and make pizza dough. The dough is more flavourful and stretches way more nicely.

So I did the same and got it bubbling for a couple days, then took half out added more water to it and made my bread as usual. The 1/2 sponge that was left on the counter, I added some water and flour to keep it going.
Pretty unsophisticated but it works.

I have a true “wild” sourdough bubbling away too, it’s in its 5th day and looking “healthy” or unhealthy which ever way you want to look at it.
Still called a sponge
Pre-ferments rock. I never make yeast dough anymore without a pre-ferment. It can be apply to pretty much all doughs whether pizza, bread or whatever. Much better flavour.

I know the Italians do a biga which is a drier, stiffer version than a sponge and I have seen recipes where all flour is in the pre-ferment. Next day they add just water to make ciabatta for example. Great flavour!

Sourdough is pretty awesome as well. Welcome to the club! It'll take a few days but then you just have it. I make most of my bread with sourdough right now. Well and probably soon all of them because I can't get yeast.