Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Something a little different

I can’t wait for open water pike to test this one. I have been developing this top water lure over the winter it is inspired by an Australian style of lure used for Murray cod. It definitely has a lot of my own twists to it as well

It creates a lot of splashing with a top water walking action. It can also be popped like a popper. Through in a a propeller and cupped washers to add some rattle/commotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 10:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

looks interesting...might have to trim up the bill a bit but you will see once the ice is off...nice colors.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-31-2020, 10:49 AM

Nope it’s good but it’s not a lip more of a wing/cup. Tested action early on in this project. Completely ignore any thoughts that apply to conventional North American designs lol

Here is a better look at the front wing

Old 03-31-2020, 01:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

gotchya….kinda like the arms of a fat kid flailing around attempting to make it to the side of the pool in the deep end...

that'll get attention for sure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-31-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
gotchya….kinda like the arms of a fat kid flailing around attempting to make it to the side of the pool in the deep end...

that'll get attention for sure.
Now your thinking along the right lines

If you google surface paddler lure for Murray cod you will find the action and lure style the design is based off of
Old 03-31-2020, 01:40 PM

Nice Job, nice paint

It looks like a longer jitterbug.

The Santa in brown dropped off my pigments, glitter and pearl powder I'll be posting some pic's over the next few days.

Lure building is a great way to wait out the corrona-cation
Old 03-31-2020, 01:43 PM

That’s awesome. My first thought was that looks like a cod bait? Have you fished for them in Australia before?
Old 03-31-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Nice Job, nice paint

That is exactly what I thought when I saw it, should work super!
Cat
Old 03-31-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
That’s awesome. My first thought was that looks like a cod bait? Have you fished for them in Australia before?
No but it is a bucket list species and if I find my way to Australia I won’t leave till I catch one. Something about big aggressive predator species

Last edited by Smoky buck; 03-31-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That is exactly what I thought when I saw it, should work super!
Cat
Similar action with more of a side to side kick
Old 03-31-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Nice Job, nice paint

The Santa in brown dropped off my pigments, glitter and pearl powder I'll be posting some pic's over the next few days.

Lure building is a great way to wait out the corrona-cation
Thanks

Unfortunately I also did a black/blue one as well but ended up getting a fish eye in the clear coat. Nicer paint job but botched it with a clear coat flaw

Lure building does help to pass the time

What are you pouring?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:09 AM

looks great, I think they would slay big pike if they were herring color and also red and white too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-01-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
looks great, I think they would slay big pike if they were herring color and also red and white too.
Thanks

Those would be good patterns as well and options are only limited by what I can pull off within my skill level. This is one for my personal tackle box and in one of my go to colours for pike. We all have our favorite patterns and they all seem to catch fish

Only going to put together a handful of these to get tested on pike and musky to start because no matter how good it looks to me the fish are the final judge. I have faith they will work well but sometimes fish think otherwise lol
Old 04-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Thanks

Unfortunately I also did a black/blue one as well but ended up getting a fish eye in the clear coat. Nicer paint job but botched it with a clear coat flaw

What are you pouring?
Send me that second you made and I will field test it this spring!
Cat
Old 04-01-2020, 10:07 AM

This is the black/blue body

Cat I want to make a run to the river and test the action before any go out. That way I can be sure the action is perfect or if I want to tweak the buoyancy

I will definitely make one for you and your brother

Old 04-01-2020, 10:08 AM

That looks wicked!
Cat
Old 04-01-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That looks wicked!
Cat
Thanks

I recently decided to stop being lazy and paint too appease the human eye not just fish catching paint jobs
Old 04-01-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks

What are you pouring?

Going through and getting the standard colours going
The purple/bronze is a winner the gold was not quite right we are shooting for sucker

On this run the gold is just right, a little brown pigment and red flake. the blue/silver does not show all of the glitter.

It’s very loud

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 AM

All of these lures look awesome...even smoky buck's!

But seriously though, I could catch some fish on smoky's plug lookin' thing.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Going through and getting the standard colours going
The purple/bronze is a winner the gold was not quite right we are shooting for sucker

On this run the gold is just right, a little brown pigment and red flake. the blue/silver does not show all of the glitter.

It’s very loud

They look good

Have you built any custom molds?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anything_but_fish View Post
All of these lures look awesome...even smoky buck's!

But seriously though, I could catch some fish on smoky's plug lookin' thing.
Don’t worry for you I may even consider a “special good guy price” for any of my lures
Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM

I have done a few top pours, nothing to write home about yet. but it is on the todo.

Specifically, the goal shape is a whitefish ~ 8" 2 joint swimbait, just started on the CAD. We will probably 3d print the master, and make a mold off of that.

The other market I would like to break into is small ice fishing plastics
Old 04-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Don’t worry for you I may even consider a “special good guy price” for any of my lures
I used to build a lot of bucktails for muskies when I was living back in Minnesota because no one had the lures I wanted. I wish I had pictures of them, but suffice it to say some awesome pike and muskies were caught on those lures--quite a blast catching fish on things you make.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I have done a few top pours, nothing to write home about yet. but it is on the todo.

Specifically, the goal shape is a whitefish ~ 8" 2 joint swimbait, just started on the CAD. We will probably 3d print the master, and make a mold off of that.

The other market I would like to break into is small ice fishing plastics
That swimbait sounds interesting but the whole 3D printings is foreign to me. Be interested in seeing that one when your done
Old 04-01-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anything_but_fish View Post
I used to build a lot of bucktails for muskies when I was living back in Minnesota because no one had the lures I wanted. I wish I had pictures of them, but suffice it to say some awesome pike and muskies were caught on those lures--quite a blast catching fish on things you make.
Done lots of bucktails and different inline spinners over the years but have been drifting away from them. They definitely work and big bucktails on a down a rigger work for lakers

Built a little of everything over the years but soft plastics
Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Nope it’s good but it’s not a lip more of a wing/cup. Tested action early on in this project. Completely ignore any thoughts that apply to conventional North American designs lol

Here is a better look at the front wing

Ever thought of just maybe one hook on the body? I realise you built it for the three hooks. Just wondering. It looks pretty awesome. Maybe make a quick vid of the action you get from your build.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Ever thought of just maybe one hook on the body? I realise you built it for the three hooks. Just wondering. It looks pretty awesome. Maybe make a quick vid of the action you get from your build.
The tail hook you could likely switch with little issue but do to the size and shape of the body a single for the front would probably decrease hook ups. A two prong hook would be a reasonable option though. Without testing how much it impacted hook up ratios on this lure I am only guessing.

I don’t know how to post clips from my phone on this forum or I would post a clip after taking it to the river. It’s on the need to learn list along with build some kind of page. I am good with my hands but tech stuff not so much
Old 04-01-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
The tail hook you could likely switch with little issue but do to the size and shape of the body a single for the front would probably decrease hook ups. A two prong hook would be a reasonable option though. Without testing how much it impacted hook up ratios on this lure I am only guessing.

I don’t know how to post clips from my phone on this forum or I would post a clip after taking it to the river. It’s on the need to learn list along with build some kind of page. I am good with my hands but tech stuff not so much
Yup same here on the tech- nickle- difficults. LOL
Was thinking single in the back and double middle, nothing under lip. Different size and weights of hooks of course. Just a guess cause I don't build em, just use em. Hopefully your first Musky Mouth don't destroy it and you can get at least two. Might need to be a little bigger size though.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Yup same here on the tech- nickle- difficults. LOL
Was thinking single in the back and double middle, nothing under lip. Different size and weights of hooks of course. Just a guess cause I don't build em, just use em. Hopefully your first Musky Mouth don't destroy it and you can get at least two. Might need to be a little bigger size though.
It only has 2 hooks right now non under the lip. This lure would not be horribly effected by lighter hooks within reason. Going a smaller gap on the hooks would definitely be a negative for hook up ratio. As is hook up ratio is something I need to test as is. Top water are notorious for needing to make adjustments do to hook up ratio. Good chance I will have to use heat shrink tubing to keep the rear hook extended it out to improve hook up

I have faith it will with stand musky no problem. This is built of a solid mix of epoxy resin and micro balloons the same material is used for the naze livid fish a common musky lure. The material has also been used for lures to target tiger fish and wolf fish and it with stands them too. Hardware is all .092 stainless steel. I also use multiple coats of epoxy clear coat. I build my lures much stronger then what is mass produced and the same specs as the custom musky lure builders. Built to handle big fish with teeth .

Size wise it comes in at just over 6 inches long, body is 1 1/4 inch wide and 1 1/2 tall. Good size top water for pike on the smaller end for a musky top water.

A lot of thought goes into my design and durability is a high priority as well.