Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 06:12 PM
Banned

Thumbs down EI System Collapse

What a complete eff-up!

Two million plus Canadians attempting to access a program that barely functioned at the best of times before this virus came along.

System, both online and on the phones, is COMPLETELY swamped!
No end of that in sight!

Today was Day Six for me. Up and on the phone attempting to make contact at 8:30 am.
Never get into queue before noon. Ever.
When you do get into the on hold situation, they simply leave you sit there.
For hours upon hours.
In fact, when they lock the doors and go home for the day, they simply leave you dangling "on hold".

4.5 hours of that (again) today, only to be left dangling once again.

Now over 3,000 call attempts, and 24+ hours plus "on hold".

Contacted the MP, who actually did try to get them to do something for me.
They basically told him to Get Stuffed.
So much for that angle.

Unfortunately I listened to them when they LIED to me and asked me to drop off the required Medical Certificate at their office when they already knew full well they would be closed that day and every one forward from then.

Leaves me in a damn bad spot.

I MUST deal with the matter "in person" or "over the phone".
No other options.
Neither works.

And folks wonder just why my attitude is somewhat "poor" of late...

Choked,
Nog
Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
What a complete eff-up!

Two million plus Canadians attempting to access a program that barely functioned at the best of times before this virus came along.

No end of that in sight!

Today was Day Six for me. Up and on the phone attempting to make contact at 8:30 am.
For hours upon hours.
In fact, when they lock the doors and go home for the day, they simply leave you dangling "on hold".

So much for that angle.

Unfortunately I listened to them when they LIED to me and asked me to drop off the required Medical Certificate at their office when they already knew full well they would be closed that day and every one forward from then.

No other options.
Neither works.

Choked,
Nog
Would it help to keep your line open on hold all night and get the call ?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:20 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Would it help to keep your line open on hold all night and get the call ?
I may well try that tomorrow after they close the doors and leave me dangling... again...

Nog
Old 04-01-2020, 06:27 PM

Took me a week just to do it online with all freezing and crashing
Old 04-01-2020, 06:31 PM

And this is why I say that all these government promises for money, and new aid programs, are a cruel joke. They can't even operate systems that have been in place for 50 years, never mind something they haven't built yet. They can't even fix their own Phoenix payroll system after throwing a couple billion at it.

But you better believe they are going to waste billions and billions that will accomplish SFA. Like usual.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-01-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
What a complete eff-up!

No end of that in sight!

For hours upon hours.

So much for that angle.

No other options.
Neither works.

Choked,
Nog
This is terrible. I hope you get through and get some satisfaction soon...
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM

I imagine there are a lot of young guys living from pay check to pay check in the same shoes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Banned

They should just give every adult $2000 a month automatically and work it all out at tax time next year. Would be a lot cheaper then what the red gonna spend updating the system and paying people to monitor it and administer it.

This is a prime example as to why we need a guaranteed income. None of this would be happening
Old 04-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
They should just give every adult $2000 a month automatically and work it all out at tax time next year. Would be a lot cheaper then what the red gonna spend updating the system and paying people to monitor it and administer it.

This is a prime example as to why we need a guaranteed income. None of this would be happening
have you sent this to your mp? it makes a lot of sense .
Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, this is what would work. The CRA already has a lot of folks Direct Deposit info.
Take it back later if it was not needed or an error.
All these programs aren't going to help much if the people don't get the money for 3 months.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 PM

Or pay it back at 40% tax? Been there done that, it’s a trap what ever your income
Old 04-01-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
No, no it isn't. This is a prime example of why people should live below their means and not rely on the government. The government, and by association, the tax payer, should not benefit from peoples good choices/luck or suffer from their bad choices/bad luck.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 PM

Some people end up in certain situations through no fault of their own.

Having compassion for your fellow human is what separates us from the animals.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 PM

I’ve been in a tight spot.... do your best not to get into a corner you can’t sell your self out of.

For those in high debit this is a great opportunity to just walk away
Old 04-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Some people end up in certain situations through no fault of their own.

Having compassion for your fellow human is what separates us from the animals.
Agreed.

The vast majority though, buy cars they can't afford, have a $900 phone, 55" TV, internet,/netflick/disney plus, eat out 2 or 3 times a week, etc. then when thet get let go, have no money, and expect someone to bail them out. I have alot of compassion for those in a legitimate tough spot. Most, I have the same compassion you do regarding the abroad traverls complaining the government isn't bringing them back from their holiday even though they left after it was a problem.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:00 PM

the EI system starts in Quebec and works its way here....lol
if any left over....
Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
No, no it isn't. This is a prime example of why people should live below their means and not rely on the government. The government, and by association, the tax payer, should not benefit from peoples good choices/luck or suffer from their bad choices/bad luck.
Well said.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
x2
Yes, they're are some who truly need help...single parents and such.
But there are a lot of people who are applying, because they are broke...yet have a new a 2200sqft house, a new truck and quad in the driveway and a slew of other toys.
I work with a fellow who brags about the trips he takes every year to Europe and has a roomful of NHL 'memorialize' who is freaking since he was temporarily laid off last week because he figures he can't survive more than two weeks.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
And people shouldn’t murder, rape, drive drunk, beat their wives. However we live in a society where these things do happen therefor we have procedures in place to deal with it.

A guaranteed Income would save Canada money, and that is what I am about. It gets rid of EI, Welfare, AiSh, Workers Comp, and whatever other payment systems are out there. You cut out ALL of that overhead and administration.

Guaranteed income was a right wing idea before the left supported it, then the right abandoned it.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
x2
Yes, they're are some who truly need help...single parents and such.
But there are a lot of people who are applying, because they are broke...yet have a new a 2200sqft house, a new truck and quad in the driveway and a slew of other toys.
I work with a fellow who brags about the trips he takes every year to Europe and has a roomful of NHL 'memorialize' who is freaking since he was temporarily laid off last week because he figures he can't survive more than two weeks.
Should people work simply to survive? If we teach people to not strive to do better to acquire more goods, would the incentive to do better still be there for those people?
Old 04-01-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
And people shouldn’t murder, rape, drive drunk, beat their wives. However we live in a society where these things do happen therefor we have procedures in place to deal with it.

A guaranteed Income would save Canada money, and that is what I am about. It gets rid of EI, Welfare, AiSh, Workers Comp, and whatever other payment systems are out there. You cut out ALL of that overhead and administration.

Guaranteed income was a right wing idea before the left supported it, then the right abandoned it.
$2,000/month to who? Canadian citizens 18+? Thats about $770B a year, approx. half Canada's GDP. Spending half the countries GDP on one program isn't going to work for long, unless they are taxing it, which is efficiency at it's finest.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:40 PM

whether people deserve the money or not is going to be debated till they lock down this thread . the part that i said was a good idea is to just send the money out and deal with it at tax time . our bureaucratic nightmare that we call government will pill away millions trying to manage this up front . may as well give it to the tax payers . one way or the other , the money will disappear .

and for the record , i am not a big fan of " social hand outs " . when i see people on the six oclock news in foreign countries demanding the the government goes and gets them it gets my blood pressure up a bit . the government has no money . they take my tax dollars and then reallocate my money to where they see fit . so it does get me going when i see waste .
Old 04-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
$2,000/month to who? Canadian citizens 18+? Thats about $770B a year, approx. half Canada's GDP. Spending half the countries GDP on one program isn't going to work for long, unless they are taxing it, which is efficiency at it's finest.
They will reclaim it at tax time next spring. It would be around 250b, for the 5 months. I’d like to see how much the economy is going to lose with no real revenue being generated by anyone.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Should people work simply to survive? If we teach people to not strive to do better to acquire more goods, would the incentive to do better still be there for those people?
There's an age old saying...put 10% of your takehome pay into savings for something unexpected...whether it be Covid-19 or your roof springs a leak and you have to replace it.
Of course you should strive to do better....but doing better isn't necessarily about having a bunch of junk you don't really need...it's about quality of life.
As many here know I'm in retail...not the biggest money making career in the world. But I have a great life, have all the things I need (and more than a few that I don't)...but by being smart I'm also not freaking out that with my wages cut in half because I've been cut to 1/2 time because I actually put some of my money away and can survive awhile on those savings.
I can do it on retail wages....and I'm amazed when I hear of people who make twice what I do freaking out because they don't know how they are going to make next months rent.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
There's an age old saying...put 10% of your takehome pay into savings for something unexpected...whether it be Covid-19 or your roof springs a leak and you have to replace it.
Of course you should strive to do better....but doing better isn't necessarily about having a bunch of junk you don't really need...it's about quality of life.
As many here know I'm in retail...not the biggest money making career in the world. But I have a great life, have all the things I need (and more than a few that I don't)...but by being smart I'm also not freaking out that with my wages cut in half because I've been cut to 1/2 time because I actually put some of my money away and can survive awhile on those savings.
I can do it on retail wages....and I'm amazed when I hear of people who make twice what I do freaking out because they don't know how they are going to make next months rent.

How long do you feel you can survive on your savings? Do you have any dependants ?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:28 PM

Same thing here, applied almost two weeks ago, got a confirmation and the code via mail but cant see the status or whatever progress is.... and no money as of today...I’m out even gonna try calling them, it’s pointless I think...
Old 04-01-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Same thing here, applied almost two weeks ago, got a confirmation and the code via mail but cant see the status or whatever progress is.... and no money as of today...I’m out even gonna try calling them, it’s pointless I think...
I applied on the 17th, got my code in the mail. But if you go on the Canada service website you can track your application progress.... received, under review, etc.....
Mines been “under review” for about a week.
The site says it can take up to 28 days before you receive.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
What a complete eff-up!

No end of that in sight!

For hours upon hours.

So much for that angle.

No other options.
Neither works.

Choked,
Nog
My EI medical leave just got approved March 24.apparently you have to wait for paper forms to be mailed to you then you mail them back for your biweekly reporting !no online reporting or telephone reporting if it’s medical leave?!If you do get a live body on the phone ASK THEM ABOUT THIS!still waiting for paperwork to do my biweekly filing since March 24.been off work since March 1.best of luck hope u fare better
Old 04-02-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:

Sounds like communism.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
How long do you feel you can survive on your savings? Do you have any dependants ?
I could survive 2 years, but then again I live within my means. The problem with the younger generation is they feel they should be given everything and not have to work to hard to obtain it.