Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
wow, who would have thought that a bread maker would be so hard to find.
The urge to hoard is strong. Freezers are sold out as well. I bet a lot of people picked up flour as "survival food" and then figured out they don't know what to do with it. Sorry if I sound a little bitter but people are causing a shortage and get between me and my hobby

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 AM

If you want a kitchen gadget to make bread, just get a good stand mixer with a dough hook.

Skip the bread maker, they work but who has space for a one-trick pony. Admittedly waking up to fresh hot bread is nice. Just set the wife's alarm for 5 am and you should be golden

Also look up no-knead bread the only thing you really need is an oven and a heavy dutch oven.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:01 PM

With flour becoming harder to get a grain mill is also a great idea these days. A bucket of wheat keeps for a long time and you can do other stuff with it besides flour.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
With flour becoming harder to get a grain mill is also a great idea these days. A bucket of wheat keeps for a long time and you can do other stuff with it besides flour.
I got one. The flavour is so much better than store bought whole grain flours as well.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-23-2020, 12:57 PM

I made a small sourdough loaf yesterday 50:50 bread flour and whole wheat (fresh milled) with fried onions (Costco)

Old 03-31-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I made a small sourdough loaf yesterday 50:50 bread flour and whole wheat (fresh milled) with fried onions (Costco)

Nice crust!

What are you using to mill your wheat?
I'm using a Vitamix but it doesn't make very fine flour. Considering a proper mill...but hate having single use appliances.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 PM

Oh my goodness! That looks fantastic. If that was in our house regularly I’d probably weigh 400 lb. Not in house not a problem. tog
Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 PM

Skip the bread machine. Its so easy to do it in the oven, and way better end result. 4 loaves takes me 15 minutes of actual hands on, and 1 hour and 45 minutes of rise/bake time in the oven. I have never had a bread machine match the quality compared to when done by hand. Plus its very easy to make hamburger buns, dinner rolls, hotdog buns, just by changing how you place it in the oven and adjust bake time. Bread machines hold you back on your options.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Nice crust!

What are you using to mill your wheat?
I'm using a Vitamix but it doesn't make very fine flour. Considering a proper mill...but hate having single use appliances.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
I got a Komo mill (https://komo.bio/ if it shows up in German, there is a toggle on the bottom right for English and other languages).

They are pricey but fantastic. So easy too. It needs really no cleaning, you just run rice through every now and then. They can grind a huge variety of grains, even corn and pseudo grains. You can buy a silicone mill insert if you want to do oily, fragrant stuff like coffee.

The mills are made of wood and they employ a lot of disabled people. I really like to support them. Also a 12 year warranty is unheard of nowadays.

My mill is getting a workout I mill all my whole grain flours fresh. 95% of my loaves have at least 50% whole grain flours.

I am considering buying a flaker right now. Just a little hand crank one because I don't need much.

Here is the Canadian distributor, they have a list of retailers:
https://www.jalyns.ca/collections/komo-grain-mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldguy View Post
Oh my goodness! That looks fantastic. If that was in our house regularly I’d probably weigh 400 lb. Not in house not a problem. tog

Thank you! It can be a challenge haha. I love to bake so bread is actually a better option than getting into cakes and stuff.

Last edited by josey; 04-01-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Skip the bread machine. Its so easy to do it in the oven, and way better end result. 4 loaves takes me 15 minutes of actual hands on, and 1 hour and 45 minutes of rise/bake time in the oven. I have never had a bread machine match the quality compared to when done by hand. Plus its very easy to make hamburger buns, dinner rolls, hotdog buns, just by changing how you place it in the oven and adjust bake time. Bread machines hold you back on your options.
100%
Bread baking done right isn't very hands on. Kneading is not necessary so even older people can produce fantastic loaves.
If anybody is interested King Arthur is doing great videos right now (livestream is Fridays at noon). Here is the one they did last week:
https://www.facebook.com/17421814173...2546644753942/

Their profile is public so everybody should be able to watch this without account or loging into FB

Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Where do you get wheat from? I've wanted to try this but really have no idea where to buy a bag or bucket of wheat
Old 04-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
Where do you get wheat from? I've wanted to try this but really have no idea where to buy a bag or bucket of wheat
Where are you located? Here in Calgary I found the best place to get grains is Community Natural Foods.
Not sure about Edmonton and area apart from Bulk Barn has some.
Highwood Crossings is in High River I believe and there is one in Vulcan that sell grains. I haven't tried either.
Daybreak Mill is great in SK and Fieldstone Organics in BC.
Surprisingly hard to find more direct sellers in Alberta. If anybody knows somebody I am all ears.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:57 AM

Farmers have lots of wheat, they would like to sell some when unable to market their canola to China. Possibly some positive developments on Canola.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Where are you located? Here in Calgary I found the best place to get grains is Community Natural Foods.

Highwood Crossings is in High River I believe and there is one in Vulcan that sell grains. I haven't tried either.

Surprisingly hard to find more direct sellers in Alberta. If anybody knows somebody I am all ears.
I am in Calgary... thanks I will try some of these places you provided

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Farmers have lots of wheat, they would like to sell some when unable to market their canola to China. Possibly some positive developments on Canola.
Huge increase in world wide grain demand right now: https://www.660citynews.com/2020/03/...abroad-rising/

Old 04-01-2020, 03:33 PM

March 31 Country Guide, China to resume imports of canola.,www.country-guide.ca/daily/china-to-resume-imports-of-canadian-canola-sources-report/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=c91c47e5 b2-Country+Guide+daily+enews+west+Apr+01%2C+2020&utm_ medium=email&utm_term=0_2da8244677-c91c47e5b2-88429261
Old 04-01-2020, 04:43 PM

I picked up my bread maker in the late 70’s , from the Yukon
Brought home for good in 1980
Still makes good bread and cinnamon buns,
Gets a little cranky once in a while,
Even makes cookies also good.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
I picked up my bread maker in the late 70’s , from the Yukon
Brought home for good in 1980
Still makes good bread and cinnamon buns,
Gets a little cranky once in a while,
Even makes cookies also good.
Perhaps the best one of all.
Flanny
Old 04-02-2020, 10:19 AM

Had one for ever. Put the ingredients in..4 hours later...fresh warm bread.

Definitely worth it. Depending upon how many you are and how often you eat bread, there are different sizes.

You can also buy pre-packaged bread maker bread ingredient packs.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-02-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
COBS bread gets their GMO free grains from some supplier in Brooks.

I personally digest non GMO grains better than GMO grains.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
My wife has made 100’s of loaves of bread with a Kitchenaid mixer and the oven. The worm gear went on it three months ago, but $20 later and I had it fixed and back up running again.
Have exactly the same setup I think? What do I know about making bread? I do know that the Kitchen Aid, oven and my wife are involved

She made 5 loaves yesterday and two in the oven now
Old 04-02-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
COBS bread gets their GMO free grains from some supplier in Brooks.

I personally digest non GMO grains better than GMO grains.

Any idea who the supplier is?

Old 05-09-2020, 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=KegRiver;4132480]My wife uses a B&D brand bread maker, but only to do the hard work involved in bread making. She bakes the loaves in normal bread pans in our oven.
======================================

SHE CANNOT MIX DOUGH BY HAND SHE IS OLD...……..... But love the bread machine. Keg away one weekend and I made 8 loaves for the freezer...…

Tried to make some whole wheat bread for Keg but it was the worse disaster I have seen BUT made GREAT whole wheat Bread Crumbs.....NOTHING goes to waste in this house if we can help it...…........
======================================

We were never happy with the hole in the bottom of the loaf, or the shape of the loaf when the machine did the baking.
==============================================
Really ALL (trust me per the wife THAT is plenty and well worth it) the machine does is mix and bake, you still have to do everything else so why not form the dough into loaves and bake it in you oven to get more conventional shaped loaves? That's has always been the easy part.

Can you tell Keg is away?????? ***GRIN****
Old 05-09-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well the wife and I have been tossing the idea around forever. Now seems a good time to get one, as who knows who's been handling store bread. Any recommendations? I have been snooping around and leaning to this one.
https://www.cuisinart.ca/CBK-200C.html?lang=en
Go online and read reviews. Lots to choose from.