Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Default Phishing Scam Re: Covid-19 Small business loan

They are getting very sophisticated, those scammers are. I cut and pasted from my inbox just so you can read it, but it looked pretty good to me. My business account has been at CIBC for years, the letter addressed me by name even. Logo and letterhead are all perfect as well. I forwarded to my accountant as he would have my necessary paperwork to file, and he is the one who caught the email address that was the tell.... norpely@ e.cibcinfo. ca

I didn't click on any links, but it did suck me in. The language is perfect. Got to be careful out there folks. I never open links from emails on anything to do with banking (or anything else, really), I would have gone to the CIBC page and logged on and looked for it there. If this had been legit, it would have been in my Messages folder once I logged in (I looked, it wasn't, but all the recent emails I got from CIBC were there)....pretty slick, those rotten bastards! You can't be too careful!

Update on the
Canada Emergency Business Account
Dear XXX,

We are reaching out to you with additional details about the Canada Emergency Business Account, announced by the federal government on Ma*rch 27.

What is it?

A $40,000 interest-free, government‑guaranteed loan to help you pay for operating costs that you’re not able to defer as a result of COVID‑19.

$10,000 (25%) of the $40,000 loan is eligible for complete forgiveness if $30,000 is fully repaid on or before De*cember 31, 20*22.

If the loan cannot be repaid by De*cember 31, 20*22, it can be converted into a 3‑year term loan charging an interest rate of 5%.

Who is eligible for the loan?
Businesses or not‑for‑profits, will be eligible to apply for this loan if they have:

an operating company registered in Canada;

annual payroll of between $50,000 and $1 million (based on your 2019 T4SUM Summary of Remuneration Paid); and

CIBC as their primary bank. This means that the business uses a CIBC Business Operating Account (opened on or before Ma*rch 1, 20*20) for day‑to‑day payments and cash management activities. Otherwise, please apply through the financial institution that holds your primary Business Operating Account.

When will the loan be available?
The loan will be available beginning the week of Apr*il 6th — and as such, we are not accepting applications until then. Full qualification criteria and application details will be published on our COVID‑19 site and on our Relief FAQ page. In the meantime, there are steps you can take now to get your business ready.

What can I do now to ensure I am ready to apply?
To ensure we can manage application volumes and process loans quickly, all applications must be submitted online via CIBC Online Banking for Business. With that in mind, if your business is not registered for CIBC Online Banking for Business, you must register here in advance using your CIBC Business Convenience Card number.

Completing this step now will help ensure you gain access to the loan as quickly as possible once the loan becomes available.

In extraordinary times like these, being here for you is our most important job. Thank you for your business and for your trust in our team.

Laura Dottori-Attanasio
Group Head, Personal and Business Banking

The CIBC logo is a trademark of CIBC. All other trademarks are owned by CIBC or their respective owners.

Your privacy is our priority. View our privacy policy.

Please do not respond to this email. This is an outgoing message only.

You may continue to receive important servicing messages, communications permitted by law, or messages from any CIBC affiliates who you have a relationship with.

If you have unsubscribed from promotional messages from CIBC in the past, you will remain unsubscribed.

CIBC Head Office, Commerce Court, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5L 1A2

Visit our website at www.cibc.com

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 AM

I don't know that it is a scam...

Domain Name: cibcinfo.ca
Registry Domain ID: 24415499-CIRA
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.ca.fury.ca
Registrar URL: www.cscglobal.com
Updated Date: 2019-10-29T05:09:06Z
Creation Date: 2015-11-12T14:33:19Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-11-12T14:33:19Z

Registry Registrant ID: 24415323-CIRA
Registrant Name: Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 40 Dundas Street Wes
Registrant City: Toronto
Registrant State/Province: ON
Registrant Postal Code: M5G2C2
Registrant Country: CA
Registrant Phone: +1.4162189451
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: domainmanagement@cibc.ca

It looks like cibcinfo.ca is owned by CIBC. TD does the same thing. It pi..es me off to no end. Are they trying to look like scammers?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:51 AM

Look at address again....it is noreply@ e.cibcinfo.ca

It was not in my message folder when I logged into my account, so CIBC didn't send it to me

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Look at address again....it is noreply@ e.cibcinfo.ca

It was not in my message folder when I logged into my account, so CIBC didn't send it to me
e.cibcinfo.ca is just a subdomain of cibcinfo.ca. There is nothing fishy (or phishy) about that. It doesn't necessarily mean it is legit, but it isn't a 'tell' that it is a scam. A person would have to see the full headers to know for sure if it is legit.

With TD, I get informational emails from @e.email-td.com while email about my accounts come from @td.com

Actually, now that I think about it, I have a CIBC credit card... Did you get an email about these "Challenging Times"? I got one with the subject "A Message from our CEO - We’re Here For You in Challenging Times" on March 24. The email address it came from was personalbanking @ e.cibcinfo.ca

I will stand by my original assertion that it is not necessarily a scam.

ARG

Quote:
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM

https://www.cibc.com/en/about-cibc/c...attanasio.html

They tell you to visit www.cibc.com. This is a valid address as is the named person in your email.

Suspect this is not a scam as they are not scamming you lol
Old 04-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Well....great if it's not a scam. I could use the cash. But the other email mentioned, I got, and it is in my message folder when I log in online. The above message is not.

I will communicate directly with CIBC and make inquiries.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:28 PM

Currently, the only info on CIBC's own website regarding this is here:

https://www.cibc.com/en/business/cov...ness-loan.html

It doesn't make mention of anything like what the email I got said. Trying to get through to CIBC on the phone is....pointless. What a backlog. Still trying to figure this out, but I lean towards phishing still. And hope it's legit. It would really help.....but if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I put in a request that they call me. That should be a while to wait....

Old 04-01-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Currently, the only info on CIBC's own website regarding this is here:

https://www.cibc.com/en/business/cov...ness-loan.html

It doesn't make mention of anything like what the email I got said. Trying to get through to CIBC on the phone is....pointless. What a backlog. Still trying to figure this out, but I lean towards phishing still. And hope it's legit. It would really help.....but if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I put in a request that they call me. That should be a while to wait....
Hmmm... how about this link Looks very similar to the email you got.

ARG

Quote:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Hmmm... how about this link Looks very similar to the email you got.

ARG
You just made my day. I'm delighted to be wrong on this. You have no idea....in the grand scheme, I'd rather be overcautious than get screwed in a scam. But thank you. I'm delighted to be wrong! And that doesn't happen often.