Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 08:21 AM

Default Phone Guru Help

My old Iphone 5S had reached the end of it's life, so a buddy gave me his spare relatively new Galaxy S20 .
My Sim card from the old phone fit into the Galaxy.
But a perplexing problem has me stumped.
I turned off everything I could think of on the old Iphone and powered it off.

Sending texts from my new phone to some of my contacts, but getting no replies. Called them and they all say that they responded. So after a few days of no replies showing on my new phone, I powered up the old Iphone and all of the replies are showing up there.

Does anyone have any idea what I missed?
Or what to check next?
Thanks from a old tech challenged guy.

Last edited by omega50; 04-24-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:28 AM

Could it be that your contacts are replying to texts as iMessage since that is what your contact info is on their phone, not as a text? The old iPhone will pick up the iMessage from WiFi, the Galaxy will not see the iMessages.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Could it be that your contacts are replying to texts as iMessage since that is what your contact info is on their phone, not as a text? The old iPhone will pick up the iMessage from WiFi, the Galaxy will not see the iMessages.
Anything that I can do about it?
Old 04-24-2024, 08:38 AM

This is why I'll never run an apple product again.
They make it difficult for you to move away from their products.
Your contacts are used to receiving I messaged from you, and when you send a plain text they don't receive it.
I downloaded a third party messaging app that speaks the language of the apples and the androids, and that seemed to solve my problems.

I was pretty indifferent to what brand of phone I used, but now after changing away from an iPhone and all the trouble it was, I'll never go back to that again.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM

I know nothing about Iphones, but I will warn you that your Samsung might try to do the same thing to you. Look in the settings for your messaging app and see if something called RCS Chat is enabled. If so, turn it off! And you have to keep an eye on it... google likes turning crap like that on after an app upgrade.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Anything that I can do about it?
Text them again and tell them you no longer have an iPhone. They have to change your contact information in their phone from iMessage to SMS text.
To check if your phone is working properly, send a text to someone with an Android product.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-24-2024, 10:22 AM

Thank you all
So I went online and deregistered my phone # from IMessages.

Then I resent text to buddy and it showed as IMessage on his phone. It showed as blue text on his phone. He clicked on his last attempted reply that was highlighted in blue. Then hit More-then reply as text.

Now all texts moving forward are highlighted in Green

Last edited by omega50; 04-24-2024 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I know nothing about Iphones, but I will warn you that your Samsung might try to do the same thing to you. Look in the settings for your messaging app and see if something called RCS Chat is enabled. If so, turn it off! And you have to keep an eye on it... google likes turning crap like that on after an app upgrade.

ARG
Awesome! Something I didn't know about ARG. Found it and turned it off to see if that helps receive messages from iPhone products.

I hate Apple stuff - moved away from that crap 7 years ago and will never go back. Wife still has an iPhone and continues to get frustrated, but trying to convince her to go to the Android world... Well, let's just say that there's easier tasks in this world to do....

J.