Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Question Is it just me or are these bear closures from Parks getting out of hand?

It seems that we have more and more closures and warnings in our provincial parks. Far more than years past. Yes I know this is a good berry crop this year but it's not like the Bears disappear in poor berry years.

I don't think it's some sort of conspiracy, but take a look at how long the closure lasted last year in the picklejar area on the south of Higwood pass. That one was for months, and conveniently stopped a lot of hunting access in that area for nearly the whole season if I recall.

Now we have a long weekend and look at this link:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/peter-lou...isories/#29719

There have been lots of Grizzlies in Peter Lougheed for as long as I can remember. We often saw grizz hiking or in the campground areas. I've been going to k country since the early 80's.

When we leave city limits we enter the wild, and encounters do happen like at waiperous a week or so ago.

I guess what I'm getting at is that people need to be bear smart and not rely on boundaries and such. too much big brother in my opinion, but if you read some of the comments on news articles the idiot tree hugger comments are unbelievable. I'm seriously worried that people like the Yellowstone to Yukon initiative might succeed with their goals on day.

I guess those 500 Grizzlies in the whole province are busy Bruins!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:38 PM

Absolutely, my first thoughts, the Precautionary Principle run amok.

Grizz
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM

The premise that the greenies put forward where we as humans are somehow less entitled to be out in the woods is ludicrous. We have as much right to be anywhere in nature as does a deer, a squirrel or an owl. Like it or not we humans are also part of nature.

I'm all for putting up warning signs and letting everyone in at their own peril. Having areas closed simply due to the presence of bears will result in bears that won't learn to be evasive of humans and will increase the density of closures as the bear population explodes.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Getting out of hand. There can always be bears present.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The premise that the greenies put forward where we as humans are somehow less entitled to be out in the woods is ludicrous. We have as much right to be anywhere in nature as does a deer, a squirrel or an owl. Like it or not we humans are also part of nature.

I'm all for putting up warning signs and letting everyone in at their own peril. Having areas closed simply due to the presence of bears will result in bears that won't learn to be evasive of humans and will increase the density of closures as the bear population explodes.
Exactly. I wouldn't ever hunt a grizzly myself, but I would support bringing back a limited hunt to manage the populations.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 PM

Another article

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...zzly-1.3686760
Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 PM
Banned

I had a recent encounter with a big blacky that ended well but still left a small rose bud in my briefs. I would hunt a grizz if the legal opportunity was given and would put one down if I was put in a situation without hesitation. In Regards to my encounter, I was standing in my camp at a provincial campground and this particular spot has a dried up creek bed type ditch that runs by the camp. All the sudden out of no where a black ran up in the creek bed and I mean cutting brush, I yelled and it buggered off. Several jack rabbits hang around this site and there are small dens of some kind dug into the banks. Never seen the rabbit but then again getting cuaght off guard I wasn't taking in the details as it happened but later on just assumed that's what happened, just another bear doing what they do.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I had a recent encounter with a big blacky that ended well but still left a small rose bud in my briefs. I would hunt a grizz if the legal opportunity was given and would put one down if I was put in a situation without hesitation. In Regards to my encounter, I was standing in my camp at a provincial campground and this particular spot has a dried up creek bed type ditch that runs by the camp. All the sudden out of no where a black ran up in the creek bed and I mean cutting brush, I yelled and it buggered off. Several jack rabbits hang around this site and there are small dens of some kind dug into the banks. Never seen the rabbit but then again getting cuaght off guard I wasn't taking in the details as it happened but later on just assumed that's what happened, just another bear doing what they do.
Two weeks ago we camped by revelstoke and had three couples and four young kids and one black lab. There was a black bear sow with two cubs that wouldn't leave the area the whole time we were there because of the good berries. We chased her out of our camp twice and she went but not with much motivation.

For me, if it was a life or death situation I would do the Ralph Klein method if it absolutely came to that. Shoot. Shovel. Shut up. Regardless of species.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Maybe more people need to start treating bears like coyotes. It would sure help the moose population.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 AM

It's probably based on the same reasoning that there are "do not consume" messages on bleach bottles. Protecting stupid people from themselves.

People are far more mobile now, we have people out camping who are either too ignorant or simply don't give a crap about bear safety. Was at Musreau Lake a few weeks ago and a group of Einsteins locked up their 5th wheel and went into town. Problem was that they left food and garbage all over the place even though there were "Bear in the Area" warnings all over. Next thing you know, a bear is charging through someone else's campsite to get to the goodies. Mom, Dad and 3 little kids had to hide inside their van when the bear went through, scaring the crap out of them. The Einsteins were kicked out, but only hours later when the finally returned to their camp.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Banned

A few closures and a whole bunch of warnings - user beware. Doesn't seem extreme to me.

I don't think there is a conspiracy theory - it all comes down to liability and the sad risk of being successfully sued.

If a bear is hanging around a high traffic trail or campground and the Government does not close it and post a warning and little Johnny gets mauled, the outcry would be tremendous and family would win in court.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:53 PM

Should have a sign at the entrance to K country and similar places, Wilderness area, Apex predators present, Enter at your own risk.

Grizz
Old 07-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

It's a joke, shoot the bears if they are persistent problem bears.

#nukethegrizz
Old 07-29-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm with the OP, seems a little out of hand right now. I'm all for respecting the wildlife and our natural areas, but it shouldn't be a closure it should be a warning there's a bear in the area enter at your own risk. Numbers and spray enforcement I suppose but still if you're cool heading in alone understanding the risks, have at 'er. Don't shut these trails down.
Just came back from Bowron Lakes circuit ....they're not shutting it down simply because grizz are around.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Should have a sign at the entrance to K country and similar places, Wilderness area, Apex predators present, Enter at your own risk.

Grizz
I've seen signs on the highway going north of Revelstoke to Big Bend and Mica Dam. Big billboard with "Warning! You are entering grizzly country."

Would be a pretty easy solution and deter some people from going into the posted area.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I've seen signs on the highway going north of Revelstoke to Big Bend and Mica Dam. Big billboard with "Warning! You are entering grizzly country."

Would be a pretty easy solution and deter some people from going into the posted area.
We have those around here as well. This is the simpler version.

Grizz
Old 08-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Default bear closures

I saw three fully grown male grizzleys and 1 very large black bear in one day. The bears were seen about a km north of elkwood campground. I dont think that they can enforce bear closures but you are a gambling man if you trek through it. Bring bear spray.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:54 AM

GETTING out of hand?

No, they have been, for many years. Started about the time certain biologists associated with the Y2Y and Sierra club were hired/promoted. Absolute disgrace. Yes, there are bears in the woods. Always have been. Unless you want to take away the hunt, then there's not enough bears.

How many million tax dollars are wasted by 'bear response' personnel?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Talking

Old 08-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Spent the last few days in K country. Saw two different Grizzlies at the upper lake on back to back days. Crowds were harassing a young collard bear yesterday by the boat launch. Some people are beyond ignorant. The bears were very focused on getting berries in their belly's.

Never seen so much of K country taped off and closed.

Silly beyond belief.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Absolutely, my first thoughts, the Precautionary Principle run amok.

Grizz
People run a muck...simpletons just don't understand that nature is not a tv show...respect the Bears but they don't so the authorities have to act on behalf of 80 % of population to save the masses from getting killed. Very sad but not too far off the mark.

Head down, cell phone in hand texting, bear cub....thier is no distracted dummy ticket here just a whole lot of whump azz about to happen, bones snapping, hide ripping off of bones, screams of agony...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-03-2016, 05:59 PM

I'm with AD on this one. I've found it extremely annoying when going into K-country and a bunch of trails and bike paths are closed because of a bear sighting.

Umm...correct me if I'm wrong, but there are ALWAYS bears in K-country. Seeing one on a pathway one day and then closing that pathway, IMO, doesn't negate the danger. Within hours that bear could be miles away, and the converse is true. Just because we don't see one on the pathways, doesn't mean they're not there.

It's bear country. If I want to walk on a pathway, or walk 10 miles up the mountain, I'm perfectly willing to accept there might be the possibility of a bear present.

Are there any legal consequences if I walk right past the closure ribbons and go onto these paths anyways?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:58 AM

Question Goat Pond

I know recently there was a closure for the Goat Pond area. I was hoping to find out if that closure was still in affect.

I followed the link in the but it does not seem to be listed, someone might assume that it was open but I was hoping to find out for sure.

If someone has been out there recently please let me know.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
A few closures and a whole bunch of warnings - user beware. Doesn't seem extreme to me.

I don't think there is a conspiracy theory - it all comes down to liability and the sad risk of being successfully sued.

If a bear is hanging around a high traffic trail or campground and the Government does not close it and post a warning and little Johnny gets mauled, the outcry would be tremendous and family would win in court.
Gee wiz maybe we should have a season on them
Old 08-04-2016, 06:29 AM

I definitely won't be reporting a sighting.this is the biggest bunch of bs I've seen parks do yet.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
Gee wiz maybe we should have a season on them
Hikers

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-04-2016, 08:07 AM

Those to.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 AM

Get rid of cell phones and the number of sighting and closures would decrease dramatically. Every excited tourist can't wait to report bears.
Drives paranoria!

Don
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM

And then there's the wolf closures... Huh?

Friend of mine told me they emptied a campground so as not to disturb the wolves... He's pretty choked as he booked a tent site back in January, and it's looking like he won't be able to camp there next weekend.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
And then there's the wolf closures... Huh?

Friend of mine told me they emptied a campground so as not to disturb the wolves... He's pretty choked as he booked a tent site back in January, and it's looking like he won't be able to camp there next weekend.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2016-1.3706078

Pretty soon us humans will be fenced in so the animals have free range if some people get there way.