Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Roosterfish - Panama?

Good morning all,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had gone fishing in Panama, and if so, was there a resort that they would recommend? I have looked at three so far. TropicStar (beautiful but far too expensive), Panafishing (not a lot of info on this one but seems more reasonably priced) and Los Buzos (kayak fishing).

I'm looking for a father/son trip with roosterfish being the main objective for my son, and quality time being my main objective. Open to suggestions.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-13-2019, 01:16 PM

Was wondering this as well, did you get rates from Panafishing?
Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Been to Tropic Star. Amazing place and worth every penny. For the "savings" you get at the other options and a "chance" at trophy fish, Tropic Star you will catch them. Biggest Rooster was 80lbs.

PM me if you want some info.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Was wondering this as well, did you get rates from Panafishing?

I’ve requested rates but haven’t received them yet. Los Buzos was $2200/pp USD for a week in Feb. Airfare to panama not included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Well what ever you decide please post a report. I've looked at this area from the diy aspect and it seems it is a little tougher to do. But it looks very promising as no big cities or towns nearby and so not much pressure. And the weather is more stable during that time of year so less chance of getting blown out. I just have to convince the wife she will be happy in the middle of nowhere. Not.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Been to Tropic Star. Amazing place and worth every penny. For the "savings" you get at the other options and a "chance" at trophy fish, Tropic Star you will catch them. Biggest Rooster was 80lbs.

PM me if you want some info.
I don't doubt that it's awesome, but $7k USD pp plus airfare to Panama is a tough one to swallow. And that's just for inshore fishing. Add billfish and you tack on another couple grand. For two of us that's a $20K CAD trip, which isn't going to happen.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:04 AM

I’ve been following Los Buzos for a while now. If you go in dry windy season they include panga use as either a mothership or fishing from panga. That was just added this year as they used to shut down since the winds can be a bit much from kayak but if they Scott down around the coast there is some protected water.

Not cheap but noticeably cheaper than the boat lodges in the area and if interested in kayak fishing would be a good choice. I don’t know how easy the fishing is but it seems like most can catch a decent rooster in a weeks stay. Cubrera snapper, broomtail grouper and smaller tuna are the other good catches, some sailfish around at certain times.

Going with a boat focused lodge will cost more but can better chase big tuna, sailfish, marlin etc. If happy with roosters, cubrera and tuna probably would do fine at los buzos if you don’t mind kayaking.

I keep thinking of going down there but haven’t bit the bullet yet. There is another place just up the coast same idea but doesn’t get as much coverage(mostly because of Robert Field endorsing los buzos). If you google kayak fishing Panama can find it. Seems decent too but not as much information available even though I believe they have been around longer.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I’ve been following Los Buzos for a while now. If you go in dry windy season they include panga use as either a mothership or fishing from panga. That was just added this year as they used to shut down since the winds can be a bit much from kayak but if they Scott down around the coast there is some protected water.

Not cheap but noticeably cheaper than the boat lodges in the area and if interested in kayak fishing would be a good choice. I don’t know how easy the fishing is but it seems like most can catch a decent rooster in a weeks stay. Cubrera snapper, broomtail grouper and smaller tuna are the other good catches, some sailfish around at certain times.

Going with a boat focused lodge will cost more but can better chase big tuna, sailfish, marlin etc. If happy with roosters, cubrera and tuna probably would do fine at los buzos if you don’t mind kayaking.

I keep thinking of going down there but haven’t bit the bullet yet. There is another place just up the coast same idea but doesn’t get as much coverage(mostly because of Robert Field endorsing los buzos). If you google kayak fishing Panama can find it. Seems decent too but not as much information available even though I believe they have been around longer.
The Mothership deal is what we were actually looking at. We haven't done a ton of kayak fishing to date, but have done some.

I'll do some searching to find the name of the other location. Thanks.

SS