Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 08:54 AM

Default cooking hot at daycare

Hey everyone,

The daycare where we take our kid is cooking hot, like hot enough that in the warmer weather we are concerned about heat stroke. We've asked them about it a few times and they really should get air conditioning in there but we continue to get the run around, the day care workers or management there seem to have to report to higher ups that aren't in that building.

We pay $1000 a month and there is at least a 6 month waiting list anywhere else, and the nearest place is out of the way, would be really difficult to go elsewhere and make it to work on time.

Not looking to spend alot of time complaining about this, just curious if anyone knows a contact to file a request for inspection or make a complaint about it, as with most bureaucracy, making a comment about a concern for safety usually seems to have the most effect, and once a concern for safety has been put in writing their is a much larger risk of liability.

Any direction on a contact please?

Last edited by cody c; 06-09-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Banned

pack your kid extra water
Old 06-09-2015, 09:07 AM

Dress light, extra water is about all you can do and keep pushing the owners for A/C. When my kids did daycare, they had A/C window units in every room, nice and comfy when it was hot out. Fans are cheap and help somewhat.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 AM

That's a tough situation..

I highly doubt there is any requirements for them to keep the temperature within a certain range. Kind of like your own home.

OTOH, they should be doing everything possible to make the kids comfortable, because if the kids start to get whiny, their employees will be the first to experience. The last thing you want in a Daycare is unhappy employees.

I honestly don't think there's much more you can do, aside from maybe getting all the parents to complain.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM

http://humanservices.alberta.ca/fami...licensing.html

the childcare licensing act has provisions for health risks etc.....

If the risk is great pull your child.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
That's a tough situation..

I highly doubt there is any requirements for them to keep the temperature within a certain range. Kind of like your own home.

OTOH, they should be doing everything possible to make the kids comfortable, because if the kids start to get whiny, their employees will be the first to experience. The last thing you want in a Daycare is unhappy employees.

I honestly don't think there's much more you can do, aside from maybe getting all the parents to complain.
Someone PM'd to contact child services, I've sent them an email, when you pay a $12K a year you kind of expect some AC for the little ones.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
Someone PM'd to contact child services, I've sent them an email, when you pay a $12K a year you kind of expect some AC for the little ones.
When you pay $12k/yr, I expect alot more things than what most daycares provide (but that's another issue).

I just can't see child services telling the daycare to buy air conditioning. Why? Because that means that child services could force all families to buy A/C. My house gets up to 30C some days.. Do I like it? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I would be concerned as well (my daughter gets heat stroke fairly easily as well). But do they do other things to cool the kids off? sprinklers? pools? etc. They might be doing their due diligence, just not using a/c.

I'm curious how this plays out.

For the business owner it's basically a tax writeoff, so it shouldn't be an issue. Is this a large daycare? Or a home based one?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
For the business owner it's basically a tax writeoff, so it shouldn't be an issue. Is this a large daycare? Or a home based one?
lol have to laugh every time people say that.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 AM

Do you have A/C at home?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
lol have to laugh every time people say that.
You're right.. Businesses don't have any writeoffs (I full well understand it is a percentage).. sigh.. move along fishie..
Old 06-09-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Do you have A/C at home?
Daycares are different than a home.
Homes you can walk out of and go else when over heating.
You don't have 20-30- 40 people in a single room.
You can open a window in your house and get air moving easier in a house, where as most daycares don't have windows you can open or if they do, you don't get cross ventilation.

Yesterday at the peak of the extreme heat when it was 32 outside it was only 22 inside my house without AC on. That is a huge temperature difference.
If I get hot at home I can take a cool shower or even go downstairs and lay down.
You don't have those options in a daycare.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Dress light, extra water is about all you can do and keep pushing the owners for A/C. When my kids did daycare, they had A/C window units in every room, nice and comfy when it was hot out. Fans are cheap and help somewhat.
Do schools have AC these days? Mine never did. I didn't die. My kids didn't go to daycare, they stayed home with my wife... in a house without AC. They didn't die. If your daycare is in a tin shack, might be an issue. Ask them what their protocol is for the kids on very hot days. Buy them a couple of wading pools and a sprinkler. Unless they are having the little tykes do laps around the football field at noon, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Do schools have AC these days? Mine never did. I didn't die. My kids didn't go to daycare, they stayed home with my wife... in a house without AC. They didn't die. If your daycare is in a tin shack, might be an issue. Ask them what their protocol is for the kids on very hot days. Buy them a couple of wading pools and a sprinkler. Unless they are having the little tykes do laps around the football field at noon, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Yes schools have AC
Old 06-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Banned

Hmmmm, $1000 a month per kid x what, 10-15 kids?
Yeah, they can afford some portable units there. It`s been hitting 35 here but with my portable and some fans it`s about 23 inside. I think they got to spend some of that money they are raking in.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Hmmmm, $1000 a month per kid x what, 10-15 kids?
Yeah, they can afford some portable units there. It`s been hitting 35 here but with my portable and some fans it`s about 23 inside. I think they got to spend some of that money they are raking in.
An average daycare

takes in 20 or so 1 year olds 1200-1500 a month
20x1200=24000

2-4 year olds

about 20 of them for 1000 a month
$20,000

4-5 year olds - 800 a month
20x800=$16000

6-12 year olds
60 x660= $39600

Stinkies old daycare had 120 kids in it.
Those are the numbers that they were charging for the number of kids and this was a cheap daycare in calgary
Prices were going up and are higher in summer months.

Staff are paid 11-14/hr for daycare staff. Depending on if your level 1, 2 or 3 Level 3 being highest paid. The govenment then gives them a 1.55/hr top up on their wages.
For babies its 1-2 babies per staff
Toddlers 1-4 per staff
school age its 10-1
His daycare provided lunch. When they had "turkey" it meant the cook bought processed meat and warmed that up, not actual turkey. Most days he would take his own meals from home because he prefered real food.
More and more of the meals were being made to accomidate the muslim families...and everyone else had to deal with it.

His daycare had AC but it struggled to keep up.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM

Air conditioning makes me feel sick. I wonder how we survived without air conditioning before it was invented?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Air conditioning makes me feel sick. I wonder how we survived without air conditioning before it was invented?

When did it last hit 40 in Calgary?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
A/C wasn't even considered when we chose the daycare, it was the reputation and good staff. A/C was a truly a bonus. It was in an old school so lots of windows and easy to install small A/C units.

I never had it in school, if you were lucky, you got to sit by the window that only opened up 6 inches lol or you had a cool teacher who went outside in the shade and held class.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 AM

nvm.. Fishermom beat me to it..
Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Yes schools have AC
Are you sure? Last I heard the goverment only funds a/c in schools for computer labs etc. but the whole school? Must be part of the new orange gov...
Old 06-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Not to derail the topic, but I have to laugh a bit on some of these responses. If this was about dogs or cats put in an over heated room there would be public outcry. There would be all kinds of threats made. And we wonder where we went wrong.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Are you sure? Last I heard the goverment only funds a/c in schools for computer labs etc. but the whole school? Must be part of the new orange gov...
Yes the 4 schools in Calgary stinky has been in all had ac.
Kindy at Spanish school
Grade 1-2 in Dalhousie then we moved
Grade 3-4 erinwood. 50+ yr old school had ac in classrooms.
Now in southwest at a new school they have it there too.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Good thing. Nobody wants to be around a hot stinky!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Banned

my elementary school was a converted barn it was terrible. the teachers would take us outside to cool down on hot days. it may have air conditioning now but it sure sucked back then.

i think they should have something, at least fans. an actual central air conditioning unit for a bigger building would probably cost somewhere in the 25,000-40,000 dollar range depending on the size needed so i can see their hesitation. a couple portable units could probably keep it under control as a temporary measure

Quote:
You're right.. Businesses don't have any writeoffs (I full well understand it is a percentage).. sigh.. move along fishie..
the day care will not be able to put air conditioning in for free, cheap, subsidized or anything like that. you still need to pay the full amount of money to the air conditioning company.

that needs to be understood so people quit saying "it's a write off for a business! it basically costs them nothing!'
Old 06-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
the day care will not be able to put air conditioning in for free, cheap, subsidized or anything like that. you still need to pay the full amount of money to the air conditioning company.

that needs to be understood so people quit saying "it's a write off for a business! it basically costs them nothing!'
ok.. bad choice of words. Except, they get a sizable chunk back at tax time.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
An average daycare

takes in 20 or so 1 year olds 1200-1500 a month
20x1200=24000

2-4 year olds

about 20 of them for 1000 a month
$20,000

4-5 year olds - 800 a month
20x800=$16000

6-12 year olds
60 x660= $39600

Stinkies old daycare had 120 kids in it.
Those are the numbers that they were charging for the number of kids and this was a cheap daycare in calgary
Prices were going up and are higher in summer months.

Staff are paid 11-14/hr for daycare staff. Depending on if your level 1, 2 or 3 Level 3 being highest paid. The govenment then gives them a 1.55/hr top up on their wages.
For babies its 1-2 babies per staff
Toddlers 1-4 per staff
school age its 10-1
His daycare provided lunch. When they had "turkey" it meant the cook bought processed meat and warmed that up, not actual turkey. Most days he would take his own meals from home because he prefered real food.
More and more of the meals were being made to accomidate the muslim families...and everyone else had to deal with it.

His daycare had AC but it struggled to keep up.

Some of the same complaints I had when my kid was in Daycare . Also When I picked up my kid they always had a movie on. The day care was portables (atco trailers) built off an elementary school. A/C was also iffy .

Glad my mother in-law retired , was able to take my kid there and have quality child care.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM

Spreading infectious respiratory diseases-Legionnaires disease and exacerbation of Pink-eye.
No thanks
Send the kiddies in shorts with a lightweight water bottle carabiner
Old 06-09-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Yes schools have AC
no schools generally are not built with A/C, i have built a few in the last ten years and non with A/C, although they all where elementary.

NIck
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Kindy at Spanish school
Grade 1-2 in Dalhousie then we moved
Grade 3-4 erinwood. 50+ yr old school had ac in classrooms.
Now in southwest at a new school they have it there too.
Sorry to say Dalhousie does not have A/C did a HVAC controls update there a few years ago. My high school bowness, my jr high TB riley and elementry all had no A/C
Old 06-09-2015, 06:16 PM

I thank god, that my children were able to stay at home, it was easy when your wife makes her living by having a day home.

If you like the institutionalized, almost regimented nature of daycares, then have at it. My wife and everyone of the 80-100 clients she's had over 19 years will tell you, that dayhomes(good ones) provide so much more than a day care.

There are no absolutes