Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-29-2021, 10:27 AM

I have been bow hunting since the mid 80s. loved my compound and shot elk deer and bear with it. Had an mva 25 years ago that required I no longer use a compound bow. Managed to get a crossbow license. If anyone is shooting hunting bolts with broadheads and hitting pie plates at 80 or 100 yds good on you. I find that I limit my shooting to 30 and have taken 4 elk with my crossbow. It is an older bow granted but It is much more difficult to walk thru thick bush with than my compound was and is heavy and awkward. Also try loading that second arrow if required with a pulley system not great when he is 30 yds away with one already in him and you want the benefit of a second arrow. That said one arrow has always been enough. I am not sure if it is the same now but several years ago I shot a boone and crocket elk but of course could not enter tried to see if I could enter in the bow books but they did not accept crossbows. I have over the years come across several bow hunters who looked down their nose at crossbow hunters but it is getting better. Just my experience but it is mine. I do note muzzle loaders have a class of their own I believe it is called long shooters perhaps crossbow hunters should look at something like that . If it exists already my bad
Old 12-29-2021, 03:36 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIUS View Post
... I am not sure if it is the same now but several years ago I shot a boone and crocket elk but of course could not enter ...
Boone & Crockett accepts crossbow kills for entry.
Pope & Young does not.

Nog
Old 12-30-2021, 07:31 AM

Thanks for straightening me out about that. Do you know if that has changed since I enquired in 2003. Perhaps I should have been more curious at that time.

In any event I was looking on line today and you are correct. I could not find out if that has always been the case or if they have made changes over the years. my computer skills like my hunting skills could use some practice.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:22 PM

I've been bowhunting for over 55 yrs. All but two w trad. In those 2 years (early 70's) w Mechanical Advantage I blew up 3 Compounds.

I've been involved in various clubs forever. Served with ABA in several different positions since its split from the target archers. Helped found the Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Assoc.

I'd say your "general" assessment of how different factions of Bowhunting treat each other is out to lunch. Of course w any group there will be those people who condescend to others. For the most part tho its all fun.

I'm not for xbows in Bow seasons at all. And I have a handicap.

I have severe nerve damage to my right shoulder arm and hand. Mostly I could not draw right handed as my fingers couldn't stand the strain of any string pressure. Taught myself lefty and killed my 10th Moose that fall.

Then last March I slipped on some ice under snow and landed hard on my right shoulder, wearing a metal pack frame, tearing two tendons, one complete.

So then I found some Olympic one armed archers on YouTube and figured out how to use a mouth tab. Long story short, I shot 3 deer last fall w my Bear TD and missed one of my target Bucks when he turned 180 at the last second before hitting my opening and I just rushed the 10 yd shot when he hit the next one.

I Just had surgery 3 weeks ago and not very hopeful of shooting right handed again. I'm just hoping to be able to lift my bow w my right and shoot lefty again. If not, I'll still hunt using my teeth. When they fall out, well there's always fishing.

I'm not against someone wanting to hunt w a crossbow, just not in the bow season!

i
Old 04-05-2022, 08:49 PM

You sound pretty condescending to me telling me I can’t hunt during archery season with crossbow
Old 04-05-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
I've been bowhunting for over 55 yrs. All but two w trad. In those 2 years (early 70's) w Mechanical Advantage I blew up 3 Compounds.

I've been involved in various clubs forever. Served with ABA in several different positions since its split from the target archers. Helped found the Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Assoc.

I'd say your "general" assessment of how different factions of Bowhunting treat each other is out to lunch. Of course w any group there will be those people who condescend to others. For the most part tho its all fun.

I'm not for xbows in Bow seasons at all. And I have a handicap.

I have severe nerve damage to my right shoulder arm and hand. Mostly I could not draw right handed as my fingers couldn't stand the strain of any string pressure. Taught myself lefty and killed my 10th Moose that fall.

Then last March I slipped on some ice under snow and landed hard on my right shoulder, wearing a metal pack frame, tearing two tendons, one complete.

So then I found some Olympic one armed archers on YouTube and figured out how to use a mouth tab. Long story short, I shot 3 deer last fall w my Bear TD and missed one of my target Bucks when he turned 180 at the last second before hitting my opening and I just rushed the 10 yd shot when he hit the next one.

I Just had surgery 3 weeks ago and not very hopeful of shooting right handed again. I'm just hoping to be able to lift my bow w my right and shoot lefty again. If not, I'll still hunt using my teeth. When they fall out, well there's always fishing.

I'm not against someone wanting to hunt w a crossbow, just not in the bow season!

i
Sounds like you’re one tough sucker and I commend you for not giving up. 3 deer in a season with a mouth release is no easy feat. I can’t even imagine how hard that would be. You’re also entitled to your opinion on using a crossbow in a bow season even if it differs from mine.

See, I too have a disability although not nearly as bad as some people. Multiple dirt and street bike accidents have left me with a couple messed up shoulders. I have no issue completing exercises like free weight bench press or arm curls but I couldn’t do one dip or behind the head shoulder press. I also have a very limited range of motion in both shoulders which prevents me from coming to full draw with a bow. I actually feel some pretty good pain just tucking my shirt in the back of my pants most days. I’ve spent a lot of time getting Cortisone shots, X-rays and scans and have had all kinds of docs over the years poke and prod me. I could get surgery but there is no guarantee my shoulders would be much better and there is a chance they could get worse. So, while the arthritis and calcification gets worse each year I’m going to do my best to just live with it until I can’t any more.

For the first 6 years I lived in Alberta I couldn’t use a crossbow in bow season because my disability wasn’t bad enough to get a permit. Then one year the wording on the application changed and made it a bit more inclusive. So that opened up the use of a crossbow in bow season for me since I was now eligible for the permit. I’ve now hunted the last 3 years during bow season with a crossbow. In that time I’ve come within 50 yards, the max distance I limit myself for shooting game, of 5 bull moose and a handful of Muley bucks. Each one got a pass and I’m yet to kill anything other than a couple coyotes with it.

To me just getting out there and getting within range of an animal is pretty cool. I wouldn’t be doing it in bow season without the crossbow because there will come a time when the right animal presents itself at the right time and I’ll pull the trigger. I do kill animals every year because I also rifle hunt but my season would be a lot shorter without the bow season and I really enjoy that time of year.

I actually pride myself in also being a tough sucker and I don’t mind working for an animal. Its not about the getting but when it’s time to take an animal I want to have the highest odds of doing that ethically. I could possibly kill an animal with a compound bow and a mouth piece after a lot of practice, like yourself, but the odds of pulling a shot and wounding an animal are great enough that I wouldn’t try it. You talked about missing your target buck last year twice. Well, that could have easily resulted in a gut shot buck getting away. With a crossbow even you would have to admit that the odds of making a bad shot are a lot less than using a bow and a mouth release.

If it wasn’t for being able to legally use a crossbow in bow season I wouldn’t bow hunt and I’d greatly miss that time out in the field. So for me I’m glad the rules are such that a person with a disability can go through the process of applying and possibly getting a permit to use a crossbow in bow season.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Sounds like you’re one tough sucker and I commend you for not giving up. 3 deer in a season with a mouth release is no easy feat. I can’t even imagine how hard that would be. You’re also entitled to your opinion on using a crossbow in a bow season even if it differs from mine.

See, I too have a disability although not nearly as bad as some people. Multiple dirt and street bike accidents have left me with a couple messed up shoulders. I have no issue completing exercises like free weight bench press or arm curls but I couldn’t do one dip or behind the head shoulder press. I also have a very limited range of motion in both shoulders which prevents me from coming to full draw with a bow. I actually feel some pretty good pain just tucking my shirt in the back of my pants most days. I’ve spent a lot of time getting Cortisone shots, X-rays and scans and have had all kinds of docs over the years poke and prod me. I could get surgery but there is no guarantee my shoulders would be much better and there is a chance they could get worse. So, while the arthritis and calcification gets worse each year I’m going to do my best to just live with it until I can’t any more.

For the first 6 years I lived in Alberta I couldn’t use a crossbow in bow season because my disability wasn’t bad enough to get a permit. Then one year the wording on the application changed and made it a bit more inclusive. So that opened up the use of a crossbow in bow season for me since I was now eligible for the permit. I’ve now hunted the last 3 years during bow season with a crossbow. In that time I’ve come within 50 yards, the max distance I limit myself for shooting game, of 5 bull moose and a handful of Muley bucks. Each one got a pass and I’m yet to kill anything other than a couple coyotes with it.

To me just getting out there and getting within range of an animal is pretty cool. I wouldn’t be doing it in bow season without the crossbow because there will come a time when the right animal presents itself at the right time and I’ll pull the trigger. I do kill animals every year because I also rifle hunt but my season would be a lot shorter without the bow season and I really enjoy that time of year.

I actually pride myself in also being a tough sucker and I don’t mind working for an animal. Its not about the getting but when it’s time to take an animal I want to have the highest odds of doing that ethically. I could possibly kill an animal with a compound bow and a mouth piece after a lot of practice, like yourself, but the odds of pulling a shot and wounding an animal are great enough that I wouldn’t try it. You talked about missing your target buck last year twice. Well, that could have easily resulted in a gut shot buck getting away. With a crossbow even you would have to admit that the odds of making a bad shot are a lot less than using a bow and a mouth release.

If it wasn’t for being able to legally use a crossbow in bow season I wouldn’t bow hunt and I’d greatly miss that time out in the field. So for me I’m glad the rules are such that a person with a disability can go through the process of applying and possibly getting a permit to use a crossbow in bow season.

Agree, it’s about getting out with our bows even with a disability and if an opportunity arises taking an animal ethically.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Agree, it’s about getting out with our bows even with a disability and if an opportunity arises taking an animal ethically.
Absolutely, Posi makes an excellent point. Sums up my feelings on the issue as well.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:44 AM
Suspended User

Who cares what others think, not me. Sick of whining people who judge others. Blue snowflakes is all they are
and I enjoy the color of the puddles they turn into .

I can now enjoy bow season and take every opportunity to get out for all 3 months of hunting season. I lost the use of my left arm from a work accident, and getting my Disability Crossbow licence gave me something to look forward to come fall.

I was the guy who caused Fish and Wildlife to allow crossbows during rifle season. During a chat with the officer who was the head of the Disability Crossbow program, I challenged him to give me one real reason why I couldn't hunt during rifle season with a crossbow. He couldn't even come up with a feeble excuse. Turned out good for me. Now I get 3 months of hunting season.

As for distance, I don't take long shots. I lost a spike buck with a bolt stuck in a rib due to energy loss. Several days of tracking, and I couldn't get a second chance. They aren't like the movies, killing out at 100 yards. You might get lucky and drop an animal, but more likely to lose an animal.

All it took me to get my license was to have my Physio therapist to fill out the form. Had my license within a week.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:36 AM

I never did begrudge anyone that wanted to use a crossbow in archery season, or was handicapped and wanted to shoot from a truck, or used a scope on their traditional muzzle loader , etc.
If it gets a person into the field to hunt, good on them!
Cat
Old 05-23-2022, 11:52 AM

The licence is there for a reason. No one should feel sheepish about it. I never even got out with my crossbow last fall due to circumstances beyond my control, but I sure plan to this year. may even go out and practice today.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:29 PM

Just got a Ravin R26
I have a spinal injury that makes it impossible for me to draw a bow of any kind anymore. And that sucks, after many years of bow hunting.
I am sure glad that crossbow is a option as I would be stuck waiting for rifle season.
Now to buy some new targets as my old ones I can’t shoot a crossbow into( found out last night) nightmare to remove the bolts from normal targets.
But now excited for archery season again after a 3 year hiatus
Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 PM

Sticks and strings. Pure and simple. Traditional bows, compound bows, crossbows… used them all. Each have their place and none are best at everything. Crossbows aren’t magical game killers. Fear-based rules need to be reconsidered. The way firearms laws in Canada are going, there could be way fewer gun hunters in the years to come. Just like plastic Zebco spincast reels are the launchpad to other tackle types and fishing styles, crossbows could be the gateway that hunting needs to get new hunters engaged.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Just got a Ravin R26
I have a spinal injury that makes it impossible for me to draw a bow of any kind anymore. And that sucks, after many years of bow hunting.
I am sure glad that crossbow is a option as I would be stuck waiting for rifle season.
Now to buy some new targets as my old ones I can’t shoot a crossbow into( found out last night) nightmare to remove the bolts from normal targets.
But now excited for archery season again after a 3 year hiatus
Awesome, shoot straight.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:44 AM

It’s not a bad thing it’s a bit of a work around to get the permission to use a crossbow. The reason being a crossbow is probably closer to a shotgun in ease of use. From a game harvesting standpoint. Realistically like any other disability program it’s still circumnavigated if you have a doc with questionable ethics. But atleast they made it harder to do so.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Sticks and strings. Pure and simple. Traditional bows, compound bows, crossbows… used them all. Each have their place and none are best at everything. Crossbows aren’t magical game killers. Fear-based rules need to be reconsidered. The way firearms laws in Canada are going, there could be way fewer gun hunters in the years to come. Just like plastic Zebco spincast reels are the launchpad to other tackle types and fishing styles, crossbows could be the gateway that hunting needs to get new hunters engaged.
If you are familiar with how OTC vs draw tags are administered in Alberta you would understand why allowing crossbows in “archery only” season is detrimental.

Once archery only season exceeds 15% of the harvest in zones where there is a draw system present… then it all goes on draw.

So suffice to say if crossbows became legal for all during “archery only” season then within 2-3 years the benefits of having an archery only season would be gone, harvest thresholds would be met and archery only season would no longer exist.

This threshold was set many years ago when the number of archery hunters was lower than it is today. Crossbows would accelerate the harvest numbers and the zones that hover around 10-15% total archery harvest would be exceeded.

Zones where limited archery only moose seasons are currently (archery only until Sept 23) would close and be draw only.

So believe it or not there is a method to the madness, the wildlife act and regulations would have to redefine “archery” equipment… as currently crossbows do not meet that definition.

Crossbows are allowed during the general season, and are allowed in portions of the Edmonton Bowzone during the “Strathcona” deer season and are allowed to be used for the Edmonton Bowzone “moose” draw. IMHO the crossbow faithful have ample opportunity to use them if they decide to. Heck up in Ft. Max the actual archery only season lasts about 5 days, then you can use any legal weapon including crossbows.

LC
Old 05-25-2022, 12:35 PM

I have a crossbow permit.An injury and severe rheumatoid arthritis in my shoulder makes it impossible to draw a regular bow.

I was a good shot with my compound because I practiced often.

My crossbow only needs to be sighted in and its ready to go. Thats the only real difference.You still need to get in close to make a clean ethical shot.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:51 PM

Default Facts and speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you are familiar with how OTC vs draw tags are administered in Alberta you would understand why allowing crossbows in “archery only” season is detrimental.

Once archery only season exceeds 15% of the harvest in zones where there is a draw system present… then it all goes on draw. This is factual until it changes.

So suffice to say if crossbows became legal for all during “archery only” season then within 2-3 years the benefits of having an archery only season would be gone, harvest thresholds would be met and archery only season would no longer exist. This is pure speculation (not supported by any facts).

This threshold was set many years ago when the number of archery hunters was lower than it is today. Crossbows would accelerate the harvest numbers and the zones that hover around 10-15% total archery harvest would be exceeded. A mixture of fact and speculation.

Zones where limited archery only moose seasons are currently (archery only until Sept 23) would close and be draw only.Speculation.

So believe it or not there is a method to the madness, the wildlife act and regulations would have to redefine “archery” equipment… as currently crossbows do not meet that definition.

Crossbows are allowed during the general season, and are allowed in portions of the Edmonton Bowzone during the “Strathcona” deer season and are allowed to be used for the Edmonton Bowzone “moose” draw. IMHO the crossbow faithful have ample opportunity to use them if they decide to. Heck up in Ft. Max the actual archery only season lasts about 5 days, then you can use any legal weapon including crossbows.

LC
Old 05-25-2022, 03:40 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
... So suffice to say if crossbows became legal for all during “archery only” season then within 2-3 years the benefits of having an archery only season would be gone, harvest thresholds would be met and archery only season would no longer exist.

This threshold was set many years ago when the number of archery hunters was lower than it is today. Crossbows would accelerate the harvest numbers and the zones that hover around 10-15% total archery harvest would be exceeded.
Ahhh yes, the old ABA mantra.

Actually proven in many States to be just what it is: Speculation.

I am not pushing for full inclusion btw, but lets stick to facts please.

I now pack a Lifetime Alberta Crossbow Permit after many many years of re-applying annually, then 5 years. If it weren't for that crossbow, I would still be excluded from archery seasons due to repetitive shoulder injuries. Overall I believe the process in Alberta to be a good one.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 05-25-2022, 03:41 PM

One just has to look at zones like 348, 507, and recently changed 346 to know that’s exactly what happens when the 15% threshold is exceeded and a zone moves to draw… then the hunters congregate at the next nearest zone with an early archery only moose season and within 2-3 years the harvest numbers increase to where the 15% threshold is exceeded and then… yup it goes on draw. So this is an educated hypothesis and not pure speculation, it is based on historical cause effect information.

So if current archery only season hunters are able to close things down, what do you think happens when you add an influx to the current numbers? Reason would seem to suggest more things get shut down. This would adversely effect those crossbow hunters who currently have permits, and opportunity would actually decrease for all… not increase or remain status quo.

With 18-20% of hunters purchasing bowhunting permits, shouldn’t it stand to reason the 15% threshold should gradually be increased? That number hasn’t changed since inception and no one can tell us where the 15% number came from or how it was derived… seems to be a number someone put into policy without evidence.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-25-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:37 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
... So this is an educated hypothesis and not pure speculation, it is based on historical cause effect information.
And I can point to several studies in the western States that did not end up with your predicted outcome.

Quote:
With 18-20% of hunters purchasing bowhunting permits, shouldn’t it stand to reason the 15% threshold should gradually be increased? That number hasn’t changed since inception and no one can tell us where the 15% number came from or how it was derived… seems to be a number someone put into policy without evidence.
And that, right there, should be yours and your club's focus IMO.

Nog
Old 05-25-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
And I can point to several studies in the western States that did not end up with your predicted outcome.
Did those states have a policy based on a harvest percentage, to justify a general season closure moving to a draw only system? Because historically over the years zones have closed just I stated above. The comment was made by posting empirical evidence that actually happened here in Alberta.

You can’t dispute that if crossbows were allowed without permit during the archery season that more people will be hunting the archery season. It could even effect the areas you hunt during a general archery season where you get hosted along the river, once the threshold is met… it’s written in policy to move to draw.

Use WMU348,507,346 in your search as to when and why they went from general archery only to draw seasons. Its not my opinion, it’s fact… it’s policy… it is what happened up here.

LC
Old 05-25-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Ahhh yes, the old ABA mantra.

Actually proven in many States to be just what it is: Speculation.

I am not pushing for full inclusion btw, but lets stick to facts please.

I now pack a Lifetime Alberta Crossbow Permit after many many years of re-applying annually, then 5 years. If it weren't for that crossbow, I would still be excluded from archery seasons due to repetitive shoulder injuries. Overall I believe the process in Alberta to be a good one.

Cheers,
Nog
It’s not a “mantra” it’s fact based on how the policy here has played out time and again….

I have said time and again, I’m not against the use of crossbows for hunting, I’m not against proper permits being acquired where warranted, but as it stands crossbow do not meet the definition of “archery” outline in the Alberta Wildlife Act and I agree with that stance.

LC
Old 05-25-2022, 11:48 PM

Does crossbow use equal increased harvest rate in Alberta? That’s an assumption, not a fact. As I said, they are not magical, and not the best choice for some situations, such as spot and stalk, where they are actually a liability. There are many factors that influence harvest, beyond weapon type. Perhaps the fundamental correlate to increased harvest rate by archers is participation, not gear type. Does the ABA support limiting participation by stick and string hunters to keep harvest rate below the threshold? That seems like a exclusionist, special interest perspective which may not consider the big picture of maintaining hunter participation and recruitment in the long term.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
exactly.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Does crossbow use equal increased harvest rate in Alberta? That’s an assumption, not a fact. As I said, they are not magical, and not the best choice for some situations, such as spot and stalk, where they are actually a liability. There are many factors that influence harvest, beyond weapon type. Perhaps the fundamental correlate to increased harvest rate by archers is participation, not gear type. Does the ABA support limiting participation by stick and string hunters to keep harvest rate below the threshold? That seems like a exclusionist, special interest perspective which may not consider the big picture of maintaining hunter participation and recruitment in the long term.
No we encourage new hunters all the time, but speaking of “big picture” one has to look at that and use the available data to determine what would be likely. With hard number thresholds, many zones would/will go on draw. Unless the policy changes, that is a fact.

Again… do you understand what occurred in many WMU… like the ones I listed?

Again, nothing against crossbows. They have a place and there is a lot of untapped opportunities even for those without a disability permit. If I ever have an issue where I can’t draw a bow I would try for a permit as well. Nothing against those who need it.

LC
Old 05-27-2022, 01:15 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Again, nothing against crossbows.
Really?

Directly quoting you Lefty-Canuck:

Comments on Crossbow Inclusion in Regular Archery Seasons within Alberta:

I know very little about the cross bow.

Excaliber does not make a bow.....they make x-guns

And modern crossbows aren't much different than muzzle loaders

Do "gangstas" shoot their compound bows horizontal?

On reply to "Is that a crossbow": Only if you can hold and shoot it sideways like a homie....thug life you know

On response to an earlier defeat of crossbow inclusion: One side of me likes that it didn’t get passed, means less people out there competing with me during bow season...

OK then...
Old 05-27-2022, 05:27 PM

I'm reading these comments back and forth and I think it's unfortunate that fellow hunters/bowhunters would be opposed to people hunting with the crossbow; hunters that for whatever reason cannot use a compound or traditional bow anymore.

I can still draw my compound, but no way can I do it to where I can be proficient with it anymore.
My shoulder is too messed up. I have the XRays and MRIs to prove it.

Why should I be denied the right to bow hunt with that crossbow? It's still bow hunting.

When I bought my crossbow I made a point of buying one of the full size crossbow. Mine is an Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 400, and I can tell you it is a LARGE crossbow.

Modern compounds with the short risers and horizontal limbs are much smaller, lighter, easier to handle than the Bulldog 400, that's for sure.

I also carry a Summit Goliath self-climber on my back, and walking through the bush with that big stand and big crossbow, you find out pretty quick that navigating quietly through the trees and brush isn't easy.

Have a good one...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-27-2022, 07:49 PM

I’m all for someone who is physically unable to shoot a bow being allowed to use a crossbow during archery season and I would encourage anyone who is eligible for a crossbow permit to get one. I don’t see crossbows being the same as a compound or other traditional bows, I almost never hunt from a stand and I think one of the more challenging parts of bow hunting is knowing when to draw your bow and being able to stay at full draw until a shot opportunity presents itself. This is not the same with a crossbow. I could see a significant advantage if one was hunting archery antelope with a crossbow. You could stay prone and shoot under the decoy rather. Than having to pop up and draw your bow. I’m happy with the way things are now, if you are not disabled and still want to use a crossbow, you have the opportunity to do that during rifle season.

Last edited by cody j; 05-27-2022 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 05-27-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Really?

Directly quoting you Lefty-Canuck:

Comments on Crossbow Inclusion in Regular Archery Seasons within Alberta:

I know very little about the cross bow.

Excaliber does not make a bow.....they make x-guns

And modern crossbows aren't much different than muzzle loaders

Do "gangstas" shoot their compound bows horizontal?

On reply to "Is that a crossbow": Only if you can hold and shoot it sideways like a homie....thug life you know

On response to an earlier defeat of crossbow inclusion: One side of me likes that it didn’t get passed, means less people out there competing with me during bow season...

OK then...
What year was that written? And in what context, please share the source

You may not realize but I like to poke fun from time to time. Have you heard of sarcasm? Lol. You conveniently left out the “smile” emoticons and cherry picked the comments, you should work for CNN or the CBC. Don’t take everything you read on the internet so serious.

Should I bring up how your comment in another forum had your buddies try to smear me in an Excaliber post a few years back and one of your over zealous buddies tried to contact my sponsors… you did apologize for that back then I recall… in a PM.

Your words:

This was Dec 14, 2015…

“ Actually Lefty is one of the better ones there Tom. He has come out on several occasions and stated he is not against crossbow use, but simply prefers that it stay classed as it is. That being allowable use during general (rifle) seasons with a few very specific primitive weapons openings and of course the Handicapped Permit. He has been polite in his posting by and large, but stands firm that crossbows should not be allowed during their regular archery season.

There are others there far more prejudiced in their opinions, and who have no qualms about voicing that. Most based on mis-information and / or Fear Mongering IMO.

……

Time will tell I guess...

Cheers,
Nog”

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-27-2022 at 09:43 PM.