Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 08:26 AM

Default Registered traplines

Are traplines still being bought and sold.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:32 AM

Yes. Sold mine couple months ago
Old 01-28-2022, 10:20 AM

Lots of guys waiting for good line. Also waiting for price to come down along with the price of fur. My read is the buying frenzy and very high prices have moderated alittle.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:24 PM
Banned

There’s one for sale on Facebook group Alberta Trappers Buy and Sell.

Line 1857 East of Fawcett Lake
Old 02-18-2022, 08:16 AM

Maybe a side tangent, but how do we find out who owns current traplines? I'm interested in helping someone out in the south or to junior for someone.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Maybe a side tangent, but how do we find out who owns current traplines? I'm interested in helping someone out in the south or to junior for someone.
The info is on the government FWMIT site: https://geospatial.alberta.ca/FWIMT_...ewer=FWIMT_Pub

In the Fish and Wildlife Admistrative Area layer, check box on the Registered Fur Management Area layer and use the Point location info tool from the toolbar to select the RFMA you want info on. It should select one of the RFMA outlines and change what is displayed in the layer list. Expand the arrow and you should see the RFMA senior partner info.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Join South Country Trappers Association, they are for the southern part of Alberta, and you could meet someone from that group who possible may junior you.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:02 AM

Default Trapline

Just saw two traplines for sale, one had old shack on it, both had asking price of $100K. Price was somewhat high for line without a decent/livable cabin.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:49 AM

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-19-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just saw two traplines for sale, one had old shack on it, both had asking price of $100K. Price was somewhat high for line without a decent/livable cabin.
Sadly trapping went from poor man's income to rich man's hobby. I can only dream of maybe one day have a trapline at the price they're asking for. I know of 3 for sale, all ranging between 100K and 150K, over logged lines that you'd be lucky to pull a few grand of fur every year.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:36 PM

I know of one 3 townships north of red earth for only 90 k lol
Old 02-20-2022, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Sadly trapping went from poor man's income to rich man's hobby. I can only dream of maybe one day have a trapline at the price they're asking for. I know of 3 for sale, all ranging between 100K and 150K, over logged lines that you'd be lucky to pull a few grand of fur every year.
Where do all these price evaluations come from anyways, if it's just land with no gear or cabins how can one ask 150k for a line, even with gear and cabins I still don't believe the values being asked are appropriate, This is only my opinion, not asking anyone to give their lines away but at least give proof to back up your asking price and that it's worth it.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Where do all these price evaluations come from anyways, if it's just land with no gear or cabins how can one ask 150k for a line, even with gear and cabins I still don't believe the values being asked are appropriate, This is only my opinion, not asking anyone to give their lines away but at least give proof to back up your asking price and that it's worth it.
They are not realistic prices at all but people pay them and that’s what sets the price.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:16 AM

At todays lumber, metal, window etc prices not hard to cost $20 to $40 K for decent cabins. Biggest problem is fur prices are only 10% of what they were 50 to 100 years ago.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Where do all these price evaluations come from anyways,
.....if it's just land .....
with no gear or cabins how can one ask 150k for a line, even with gear and cabins I still don't believe the values being asked are appropriate, This is only my opinion, not asking anyone to give their lines away but at least give proof to back up your asking price and that it's worth it.
It is not the land ...It is crown land... but rather the "assets"...If I had just an
outfitters tent on the line and asked 50G for it...if you want to trap, you pay the asking price....or walk away...the way of the world....lots of things aren't fair and neither are todays fur prices..If I had $0.10 for every drop of sweat that i left on the line, over the years, $50G, wouldn't come close....
Old 02-20-2022, 01:54 PM

Default Rfma

I have had three different lines an trapped on two others. If there is a will there’s a way the first line I was 22 years old an had to get a loan from the bank I told them it was for a pickup truck cause there is no way they would give me money for a trapline. Supply an demand.