Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Stats don't mean a dam thing. No one gets their names engraved for having stats!

Championships are all that matter in sports!

BW
Well art Ross trophies are pretty nice too. Something our team players have a lot of.....
Old 08-01-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Stats don't mean a dam thing. No one gets their names engraved for having stats!

Championships are all that matter in sports!

BW
Championships are stats.....
Old 08-01-2018, 11:11 AM

We got the lady hung
Old 08-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Come on, gentlemen. Neither team is close to a championship right now. In the future, McDavid is going to be the difference (in my opinion).

That said, I love the Flames' mentality right now. Every team that misses the playoffs says the same thing "this is unacceptable," etc etc etc. The Flames showed that they meant it with the recent deals. Whether they work or not, I love the effort.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
The Flames showed that they meant it with the recent deals.
I like what the Flames have done as well. Given the projected lineup below though, I would like to see one or two little tweaks. Given that Lazar is entering his 6th NHL season and has a combined 15 goals, I think everyone has a pretty decent idea of his contributions. I'd let him play elsewhere and see what Foo, Dube, Phillips, or Czarnik can do. Maybe buy out Brouwer, one of the four guys listed have to be better than him. Unless they are going for an energy line, seems unlikely with Lazar and Brouwer, it seems they are setting Ryan up for failure placing him with those guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flames Lineup.jpg (26.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Your flux capacitor seems broken. Is there anything we can do to help you live in the present?
You were the first to bring up the past with the overall stats, we were initially talking about the last 2 years!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Come on, gentlemen. Neither team is close to a championship right now. In the future, McDavid is going to be the difference (in my opinion).

That said, I love the Flames' mentality right now. Every team that misses the playoffs says the same thing "this is unacceptable," etc etc etc. The Flames showed that they meant it with the recent deals. Whether they work or not, I love the effort.
In the future Mcdavid will be asking for a trade. Give it 3 years...
Old 08-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I like what the Flames have done as well. Given the projected lineup below though, I would like to see one or two little tweaks. Given that Lazar is entering his 6th NHL season and has a combined 15 goals, I think everyone has a pretty decent idea of his contributions. I'd let him play elsewhere and see what Foo, Dube, Phillips, or Czarnik can do. Maybe buy out Brouwer, one of the four guys listed have to be better than him. Unless they are going for an energy line, seems unlikely with Lazar and Brouwer, it seems they are setting Ryan up for failure placing him with those guys.
With Ferland gone, getting rid of Brouwer doesn't leave much in the line-up to deter liberties with Johnny. Gio has tried to step up but he is no Iggy when it comes to the fist-a-cuffs.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
With Ferland gone, getting rid of Brouwer doesn't leave much in the line-up to deter liberties with Johnny. Gio has tried to step up but he is no Iggy when it comes to the fist-a-cuffs.
There is that. But I guess I wonder if Brouwer would actually do anything?

Edit, guess he was in 3 fights last year, coming to his teammates defense in one of them.

Last edited by Trochu; 08-01-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Bye bye, Brouwer.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Bye bye, Brouwer.
It makes alot of sense. I think he could be replaced, possibly improved upon, at a much lower cap hit and they likely don't want to be right up against it after signing Hanafin.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:18 PM

Another solid move by the flames, glad we have competent management, looks like they're freeing up space for a long term hanifin contract.

In the past 12 draft years the coilers have had 10 top ten picks with 4 of those being 1st overall...one of which is now league mvp but got traded for a mid level dman and one that will go down as one of the worst 1st overall picks in NHL history. Somehow they're still a terrible team, full of horrible contracts. Most clubs wouldnt stand for such an embarrassing 12 year rebuild. Very poor club management and even worse player management.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Another solid move by the flames, glad we have competent management, looks like they're freeing up space for a long term hanifin contract.

In the past 12 draft years the coilers have had 10 top ten picks with 4 of those being 1st overall...one of which is now league mvp but got traded for a mid level dman and one that will go down as one of the worst 1st overall picks in NHL history. Somehow they're still a terrible team, full of horrible contracts. Most clubs wouldnt stand for such an embarrassing 12 year rebuild. Very poor club management and even worse player management.
The Flames have made the playoffs twice in the last nine seasons, one season in which they were swept in the first round. Neither team is kicking a whole lot of ass, lol.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
The Flames have made the playoffs twice in the last nine seasons, one season in which they were swept in the first round. Neither team is kicking a whole lot of ass, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM
Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Or 6 in the last 13. How many 1st overall picks and top ten picks have the flames had in that time? It's not all about kicking ass, the nhl is a super competitive league and very hard to have success in, let alone make the playoffs every year. I take solace in the fact our organization is classy, highly respected around the league and has good management. The way the oilers have been run the past decade or so is straight up embarrassing.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Or 6 in the last 13. How many 1st overall picks and top ten picks have the flames had in that time? It's not all about kicking ass, the nhl is a super competitive league and very hard to have success in, let alone make the playoffs every year. I take solace in the fact our organization is classy, highly respected around the league and has good management. The way the oilers have been run the past decade or so is straight up embarrassing.
Nothing you say is necessarily wrong, I'm just not sure how clear the logic is to base the success of your team almost solely on the comparison of said team with the Oilers.

"We finished 30th, but at least the Oilers finished 31st!," isn't exactly objective reasoning, haha.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Nothing you say is necessarily wrong, I'm just not sure how clear the logic is to base the success of your team almost solely on the comparison of said team with the Oilers.

"We finished 30th, but at least the Oilers finished 31st!," isn't exactly objective reasoning, haha.
Not sure where i said that or even implied it. Also not sure where i based the success of the flames purely with the oilers, considering this is an Alberta forum and we're discussing the flames and the oilers logic would dictate that comparisons will be drawn between the two Alberta teams. Care to address the draft pick questions, the horrendous decisions made managerial wise from oilers brass the last decade, the competitiveness of the league or terrible oiler contracts? Or just continue to question my logic and use made up quotes?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:

To be clear the flames have NEVER had the 1st overall selection. The Flames have Never finished last. The Oilers have almost as many last place finishes as they have Stanley cups, however, I don't see you Oiler fans pointing that out over and over, and the last place finishes are much more recent then your Stanley Cups.

If we are being honest, the only reason the Oilers have any hope at all is because of McDavid. If you did not end up with McDavid, the Oilers would be worse now then they were a decade ago. So management for the Oilers has been terrible if not laughable, the hope was it would get better when you finally got rid of Kevin Lowe and Company but it hasn't, it almost seems like it has gotten worse.

There is a high level of parity in the league now and realistically any team that gets in can win it all. The Flames management has looked at their roster decided where their weaknesses were and have made moves to improve the team. They may not all work out, however, from what I see the Flames are greatly improved over the team they iced last year. The only thing I would have liked to see is the addition of a solid back up, but I also think that one of our many goalie prospects has to finally take the ball and run with it. The only way for that too happen is they have to play with the big club, if we had an experienced back up that opportunity wouldn't be there.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
If we are being honest, the only reason the Oilers have any hope at all is because of McDavid.
I've often wondered how bad they would be if he was out of the line up.

Last edited by Trochu; 08-02-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:

For the Battle Of Alberta sake goes, as long as we finish with the better record that the Coilers I am happy. LOL
True we are for from a superior team, but i would like to see where we would be if we had all them draft picks.
Either way I look forward to the up coming season. Lots of good changes for the good guys, and the bad guys well they have 2 solid players, guess that's good enough for them. Go Flames.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 AM

"The Calgary Flames have officially bought out the contract of forward Troy Brouwer after he cleared unconditional waivers on Friday."

They now have about $7.5M in cap space.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
"The Calgary Flames have officially bought out the contract of forward Troy Brouwer after he cleared unconditional waivers on Friday."

They now have about $7.5M in cap space.
Fist pump.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Not sure where i said that or even implied it. Also not sure where i based the success of the flames purely with the oilers, considering this is an Alberta forum and we're discussing the flames and the oilers logic would dictate that comparisons will be drawn between the two Alberta teams. Care to address the draft pick questions, the horrendous decisions made managerial wise from oilers brass the last decade, the competitiveness of the league or terrible oiler contracts? Or just continue to question my logic and use made up quotes?
Wasn't trying to offend you whatsoever. I thought the quote was an example of a lot of the logic being used by fans on both sides. I figured it was obvious that I wasn't quoting something you had said. I'm also not a Flames or Oilers fan, so addressing any of those questions isn't bothersome to me.

Draft picks: I don't think they've necessarily been terrible, but what the team has achieved, or not achieved, is pretty laughable. Until fairly recently, the Flames' drafting wasn't anything to write home about.

Horrendous decisions by Oilers brass: Doesn't get much worse than that, haha.

Competitive league: The league is certainly competitive, it adds a ton of excitement. That said, more teams make it than don't, and the Flames have made the playoffs 2/9 seasons, with a sweep in one. The league is competitive for everyone, but that's mediocre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
To be clear the flames have NEVER had the 1st overall selection. The Flames have Never finished last. The Oilers have almost as many last place finishes as they have Stanley cups, however, I don't see you Oiler fans pointing that out over and over, and the last place finishes are much more recent then your Stanley Cups.

If we are being honest, the only reason the Oilers have any hope at all is because of McDavid. If you did not end up with McDavid, the Oilers would be worse now then they were a decade ago. So management for the Oilers has been terrible if not laughable, the hope was it would get better when you finally got rid of Kevin Lowe and Company but it hasn't, it almost seems like it has gotten worse.

There is a high level of parity in the league now and realistically any team that gets in can win it all. The Flames management has looked at their roster decided where their weaknesses were and have made moves to improve the team. They may not all work out, however, from what I see the Flames are greatly improved over the team they iced last year. The only thing I would have liked to see is the addition of a solid back up, but I also think that one of our many goalie prospects has to finally take the ball and run with it. The only way for that too happen is they have to play with the big club, if we had an experienced back up that opportunity wouldn't be there.
I'm not an Oilers fan. My team last won the Cup in 1927. Oilers management has been terrible, no question about it! "Tree" is on his last coach though, make no mistake!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
With Ferland gone, getting rid of Brouwer doesn't leave much in the line-up to deter liberties with Johnny.
I guess the Flames address that this morning by signing Anthony Peluso. He might not be able to replicate Brouwer's 6 goals, but should do a much better job of deterring liberties, if he plays.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:24 AM

Flames sign Hanifin to a 6 year deal with an average annual value of $4.95 million. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal for the now, let alone what he hopefully becomes.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Flames sign Hanifin to a 6 year deal with an average annual value of $4.95 million. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal for the now, let alone what he hopefully becomes.
Are those points worth that +/- ?

Definitely not a defensive defensman
Old 08-31-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

tough to have a good +/- in Carolina
Old 08-31-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

Maybe not, I'm still happy with it though.

You can cherry pick numbers either way, but some reasonable comparisons from non-playoff teams:

-Faulk, 31 pts on the same team, $4.8M;
-Klefbom, 21 pts, double digit minus as well, $4.2M;
-Goligoski, 35 pts, -31, $5.5M; and,
-Mike Green, 33 pts, -14, $5.4M.

What sways it for me obviously is that Hanifin put those numbers up on Carolina, should be better on the Flames, and he's only 21. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one defenceman in the NHL who is likely better, Charlie McAvoy, who also happens to be playing on one of the better teams in the NHL. So signing one the best young defencemen in the game for less than $5M seems pretty good.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe not, I'm still happy with it though.

You can cherry pick numbers either way, but some reasonable comparisons from non-playoff teams:

-Faulk, 31 pts on the same team, $4.8M;
-Klefbom, 21 pts, double digit minus as well, $4.2M;
-Goligoski, 35 pts, -31, $5.5M; and,
-Mike Green, 33 pts, -14, $5.4M.

What sways it for me obviously is that Hanifin put those numbers up on Carolina, should be better on the Flames, and he's only 21. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one defenceman in the NHL who is likely better, Charlie McAvoy, who also happens to be playing on one of the better teams in the NHL. So signing one the best young defencemen in the game for less than $5M seems pretty good.
Not a particularly strong crop of young dmen if Hanifin is the second best young dman in hockey.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 PM

The real Alberta contender has arrived home.......

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King